The Viral Economy

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: The Viral Economy

Post by Smoove_B »

Seems reasonable:

A Chick-fil-A in North Carolina posted a job opportunity on Facebook that offered to pay “volunteers” in chicken, not money.
The store, in Hendersonville, is celebrating the opening of its new “Drive Thru Express” like this: “We are looking for volunteers for our new Drive Thru Express!,” the Facebook post, which was just deleted after getting widely dragged, read. “Earn 5 free entrees per shift (1 hr) worked. Message us for details.”

“During the launch of our new drive thru express we offered opportunities for customers to earn free food to simply traffic direct other guests,” another post by the store read. “Usually a win-win for us and the volunteer who gets free Chick-fil-A! That way, our team can focus on serving the guests in what we do best.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I see no problem here. When I was a kid and sometimes worked in a Diamond comic distribution warehouse, I was paid in comic books. Luckily this was during that ridiculous mid-90s comic craze and I cherry picked the fuck out those issues. This is just another opportunity. I mean who wouldn't want tax free Chik-Fil-A entrees? ;)
Spoiler:
I'm kidding obviously - it's weird that they thought this would work though
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

They'll have plenty of takers, I have no doubt.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Five entrees to volunteer to be a placeholder for an hour doesn't sound bad to me. It's advertising. *shrug*

That said, Pre-Covid suburban life saw me drive about 10,000 mile a year mainly for shopping and commuting. At 40ish MPG that's about 250 gallons or $1,000 a year at $4 prices. Post Covid? I'm not even putting 2,000 miles a year on my car nowadays. I was not considered a heavy driver pre covid for around here and definitely not a rural area. Rural drivers also drive big vehicles, so they might be doing 20,000 a year at 15MPG. They might be looking at $5500 a year or more at $4 per regular driver. Could be close to $10,000 with two people commuting every day and then going to town to???
stessier

Post by stessier »

I still marvel at the people who warm up their cars in the morning. I live in SC and multiple people along my morning running route let their big SUVs and pickup trucks idle for several minutes. Crazy to me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

According to my brother (who has had a lot of mechanic experience/training), it's harmful to the engine to run cold oil through it. He always lets his trunks warm up. That said, I'm not sure how much it's required in SC.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/ ... he-winter/

Want to warm up your engine? Drive it. Just don't drive it like I do (until it is warmed up).
Wrong! Warming up your car in winter before driving it is actually terrible for your engine. According to Popular Mechanics, driving your car right away is the fastest way to warm up your engine, and will actually prolong the life of your engine instead of letting it sit idly before driving. Answering the old question on whether you should warm up your car.

The reasoning has to do with how modern internal combustion engines work. By letting your car sit to warm up, it’s actually putting extra fuel into the combustion chamber, which can get onto your cylinder walls. Because gasoline is an excellent solvent, too much on your cylinder walls can dissolve the oil that lubricates your cylinders, leading to shorter life on crucial components.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It used to be done for/because of carburetors. But for more modern cars I've heard that it's actually worse for your car - that the extra fuel in the cylinders can eventually be harmful to key components as it dissolves the oil. And (conversely) the fastest way to get the oil warmed up is not by idling, but by just driving.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Damn, I was bammed.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well, to be fair, I don't think that any of my brother's vehicles would have counted as "modern"...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Is the "Don't warm up your engine" rule as valid in Minnesota February as it is in Florida August?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Shouldn't Minnesota February have block heaters?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Holman wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:49 pm Is the "Don't warm up your engine" rule as valid in Minnesota February as it is in Florida August?
Yes. Modern cars are ready to go in the time out takes most people to put on their seatbelts and check their mirrors. Now whether or not it is fully defrosted on the inside might be a different question (not the outside which should be scraped clean).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:49 pm Is the "Don't warm up your engine" rule as valid in Minnesota February as it is in Florida August?
The rule isn't 'Don't warm up your engine', it's 'Don't warm up your engine by idling'. That should hold up everywhere.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:49 pm
The rule isn't 'Don't warm up your engine', it's 'Don't warm up your engine by idling'. That should hold up everywhere.
I'm going to warm up my engine for as long as it takes me to scrape the windows and for the defroster to blow warm air, whether my car likes it or not.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:56 pm
I'm going to warm up my engine for as long as it takes me to scrape the windows and for the defroster to blow warm air, whether my car likes it or not.
It's smart to wait until the windows are defrosted.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:23 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:56 pm
It's smart to wait until the windows are defrosted.
That's what I'm saying, anyone who would drive before vents are spitting hot air is just asking for accident. I've been in a hurry and drove a car gently before it warms in the winter. Not a good plan. Letting a car warm when it's above freezing? Only if the dew is so bad it fogs the inside of the windows. Again same reason. I'm more concerned about being able to see and not killing someone than I am residue building in my cylinders.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If Car Talk were to return, I wonder if it would help with the viral economy?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oil, schmoil. When we warmed up the car here during the winter, it was the get the heater up and running before we got into it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This thread has me wondering if I should switch to cheaper oil. I'm used to getting a 6month 7,500 mile oil that was over $50 a pop the last time I change my oil. I've put on about 1,500 miles since my last oil change and I am two months over due. I have to learn the new rules of engagement for oil changes. Is there a 3000 mile one year variety out there?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Long COVID has sidelined millions of workers:
As the number of people with post-COVID symptoms soars, researchers and the government are trying to get a handle on how big an impact long COVID is having on the U.S. workforce. It's a pressing question, given the fragile state of the economy. For more than a year, employers have faced staffing problems, with jobs going unfilled month after month.

Now, millions of people may be sidelined from their jobs due to long COVID. Katie Bach, a senior fellow with the Brookings Institution, drew on survey data from the Census Bureau, the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis and the Lancet to come up with what she says is a conservative estimate: 4 million full-time equivalent workers out of work because of long COVID.
So what happens when you get COVID and you need to speak to your employer about addressing what a return to work might look like?
The problem with coming up with accommodations for long COVID is that there are so many unknowns. The duration and severity of symptoms varies wildly from person to person.

Gutierrez finds herself stumped by questions on disability forms that ask how long an individual might be out or how long their illness may last.

"This is a new condition," she says. "We don't know."

Accommodations in the workplace might include flexibility in where someone works, extended leave, or a new role in a different department. The goal is to get workers on a path back, says Roberta Etcheverry, CEO of Diversified Management Group, a disability management consulting firm.

But with long COVID, it's difficult to measure whether an employee is in fact on a path back.
I guess as long as there are just more potential workers to take over, no worries.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Don't worry our well-oiled and flexible immigration system can pick up the slack.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LONDON (AP) — Bank of England says United Kingdom's economy is projected to enter a recession in final three months of 2022.
Joe Biden is powerful!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case you're wondering who is influencing all the political decision making related to the pandemic and the economy:

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, National Association of Realtors, Pharmaceutical Research & Manufacturers of America and Blue Cross/Blue Shield remained the top four spenders during the second quarter of 2022.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

528K jobs added in July. So the market now expects another 75 bip increase at the next fed.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:02 am 528K jobs added in July. So the market now expects another 75 bip increase at the next fed.
Right but that's because the market is just reacting to what amounts to conflicting information. The picture could be very different next month but this really doesn't sound like a recession.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:12 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:02 am 528K jobs added in July. So the market now expects another 75 bip increase at the next fed.
Right but that's because the market is just reacting to what amounts to conflicting information. The picture could be very different next month but this really doesn't sound like a recession.
The jobs number is inflationary. That's all. CPI is probably the next number to watch, due out on Wed.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:24 am
malchior wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:12 am
The jobs number is inflationary. That's all. CPI is probably the next number to watch, due out on Wed.
What I'm getting at is that the jobs number is the story of the day. A few days ago it was the mixed profits read. Tomorrow it'll be some other tea leaf reading to justify a recession headline...but which would mean they wouldn't need to raise the rates as steeply or at all. It's mostly noise. the Fed uses a lot more data to make these decisions.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Or a blowout CPI could see an emergency hike.

Agreed that it's all noise but people listen.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:27 am Or a blowout CPI could see an emergency hike.

Agreed that it's all noise but people listen.
That's how the quants make money. It's a pump and dump world. :)

Speaking of pump and dump. Musk has declared inflation is past peak and mild recession for 18 months.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Meanwhile at the Fox News propaganda factory. If it isn't clear - Fox News is bashing the WH because they originally aligned with the concensus forecast of 250K jobs added. The numbers far exceeded the forecast and that's somehow a "failure". These people should be ashamed but they are incapable of that emotion.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

They had to get “lower July jobs growth” in there somehow.
malchior

Post by malchior »

CNBC - a safe space for oligarchs.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That means that 74% have no regrets. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, but only because they are still drunk off their asses.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"Unexpected staff availability"

Due to unexpected staff availability tonight, the FAA must reduce the flow of aircraft around New York City to maintain safety. Evening delays may be 2 hrs at @JFKairport, @LGAairport & @EWRairport. Check http://fly.faa.gov for updates & w/ your airline for flight info.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Prepare to be shocked but May 2022 absenteeism for pilots was 45% higher at Delta than May 2019. FAA just granted a waiver to Delta to cut flights due to staff shortages and other persistent issues as well.
On Friday, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced it had given Delta Air Lines permission to temporarily cut flights from New York and Washington, DC.

Increase reliability and minimize disruption

The affected Delta Air Lines (Delta) flights are at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and LaGuardia Airport (LGA), and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA). In allowing the temporary cuts, the FAA told Delta that it should offer customers a refund or rebook them on Delta flights or another carrier as needed for flights canceled at the three airports. According to Reuters, Delta requested the FAA to waive minimum slot requirements to reduce disruption and congestion at the airports.

In May, Delta said it was cutting around 100 flights per day between July 1 and August 7, mainly to US and Latin American markets. Its reason was to "build additional resilience in our system and improve operational reliability for our customers and staff." Those cuts cited similar causes to the ones announced Friday, including weather, air traffic control, vendor staffing and increased absenteeism among staff. Finding planes is not an issue as Delta has returned around 90% of its more than 900 aircraft to service. Data from ch-aviation shows it has 557 narrowbodies back in service, including 56 Airbus A220s and 243 A320-family, and 63 Boeing B717s and 195 B737s, mainly the B737-900ER variant.

Lending credibility to the airline's claims, the FAA disclosed that in May, Delta's pilots missed 19,985 days due to sickness, an increase of 45% from the 13,786 days lost in May 2019. That worsened in June, when the comparison widened to 50% more lost days than in June 2019. Flight attendant sick days also negatively impacted services, climbing to 43,908 days in May, up 23%. The FAA said its "preference is for Delta to reduce flights from sale to minimize disruptive, close-in cancellations."
malchior

Post by malchior »

Flightradar24 is showing several planes in holds over NJ, PA, and DE right now. They appear to be inbound flights to LGA mostly. That's wild when the weather is perfect for flight operations. N90 (NYC TRACON) must have been hit hard.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From your article:
“Delta said its pilots missed 19,985 days due to sickness in May 2022, 45% higher than in May 2019.

In June 2022, the airline’s pilots missed 13,748 days in June 2022, 50% higher than in June 2019.”
That's so weird. I wonder what could have changed?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:55 pm From your article:
“Delta said its pilots missed 19,985 days due to sickness in May 2022, 45% higher than in May 2019.

In June 2022, the airline’s pilots missed 13,748 days in June 2022, 50% higher than in June 2019.”
That's so weird. I wonder what could have changed?
Libruls took over.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)