[Netflix] The Sandman

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: [Netflix] The Sandman

Post by Jaymann »

Finished season 1 last night. I thought it was interesting how they:
Spoiler:
wrote themselves out of the kill or be killed situation. It seems as if the show thus far has been mostly a set up for further seasons.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Whelp, I read issue 1 today. Hooked so far.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

They can probably wrap things up with two additional seasons which hopefully is short enough to keep the show in the good graces of the Netflix execs.

The Sandman is one of my favorite graphic novel series and they did a wonderful job bringing it to life.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I finished it last night and if they never do another episode, it'll still be magnificent. I'm confident they're going to (based on reviews and popularity), so hopefully they can finish the entire story arc. I'm not sure if 3 seasons would do it (and I'd hate to see too much cut), but as long as we get a completed story that would be ideal.

100% recommend. It's so nice when something with such an overwhelming positive history is adapted to a new format and it doesn't completely suck.

Here's hoping someday there's someone willing to give The Dark Tower a try. I'm still amazed nothing has ever come from that series of books. Definitely not any movies.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:42 pm I didn't realize (until watching this show) that Thewlis was the voice (and visual inspiration) of for the Shame Wizard in Big Mouth.
That’s what I know him from! He looked and sounded so familiar, but I couldn’t place it and hadn’t bothered to look it up. It had been bugging me.

I finished Episode 5 last night, which was fascinating. That turn it takes was seriously dark.

I generally like the show, although I do think the story feels very meandering and disjointed. Not hard to follow, mind you, just…unfocused. I’m sure that’s how the comics Al are structured, but it can be a bit jarring to watch.

I also can’t get past the lead constantly looking like he’s trying to do his best Peter Murphy impression.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:25 pm I finished Episode 5 last night, which was fascinating. That turn it takes was seriously dark.
Yes #5 ("24/7") is where it starts to turn. The next episode ("The Sound of Her Wings") is one of the best of this season (and in the comic). It's critical for understanding the main character, imho. In terms of darkness...keep going! My favorite episode is #9 (and one of my favorite of the comics to read). It's such a great idea and seeing it acted out was better than I'd hoped.
I generally like the show, although I do think the story feels very meandering and disjointed. Not hard to follow, mind you, just…unfocused. I’m sure that’s how the comics Al are structured, but it can be a bit jarring to watch.
It's going to start tightening up after #6 - the final grouping goes by quite fast. I'm excited people are liking it; believe the hype!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Can I just jump in to say how happy I am that something is bringing genuine joy to Smoove right now? That's something we can all appreciate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

It really did, and reading everyone's enjoyment as well. When I first read the series (mid to late 1990s), I didn't have anyone to talk to about it. I'm glad you're finally all catching up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's just an excellent show for fans of the graphic novels. It stays true to the look, feel and story to a remarkable degree. I'm not sure if it translates well to people who never read the series (poor bastards)....but who cares. Screw them. They've got their Game of Thrones. Let me have my Sandman!

Now I want a House of Mystery/House of Secrets series.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:56 pm Yeah, I finished it last night and if they never do another episode, it'll still be magnificent. I'm confident they're going to (based on reviews and popularity), so hopefully they can finish the entire story arc. I'm not sure if 3 seasons would do it (and I'd hate to see too much cut), but as long as we get a completed story that would be ideal.

100% recommend. It's so nice when something with such an overwhelming positive history is adapted to a new format and it doesn't completely suck.

Here's hoping someday there's someone willing to give The Dark Tower a try. I'm still amazed nothing has ever come from that series of books. Definitely not any movies.
They can trim some standalone stuff if needed although I'm a fan of the entire Sandman run so including as much as possible would make me very happy. Perhaps doing 12 ep seasons would do it? I hope the bean counters won't try to kill it in the crib because it costs too much.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As much as I love Jenna Coleman, I do wish they’d have kept John instead of substituting Johanna. That character has been a favorite of mine for decades, so it’s one that’s near and dear to me. The character’s masculinity is a sort of weakness at times (well….many times) and making him a her takes away some of that weakness. Essentially making the character…well….not Constantine. If that makes sense.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think it's all part of the distancing from DC comics and that one must have been too obvious to leave. Some are still there, though the connection was removed.
Spoiler:
I didn't realize Matthew was from Swamp Thing, for example. And they removed Brute and Glob because apparently they were part of the 1970s run of the Sandman.
The one thing that genuinely surprised me was the voice actor for Mervyn
Spoiler:
Mark Hamil!
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:25 pm I also can’t get past the lead constantly looking like he’s trying to do his best Peter Murphy impression.
The original art for Morpheus was inspired by Peter Murphy and Robert Smith, apparently. I only recently saw the inspiration for the comic book version of Death; she died in 2018. If anyone is reading along with the comics, you can see her here. I figured she was a mix of people, but apparently they really just used her look. I was blown away when I saw the photos.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:56 pm Here's hoping someday there's someone willing to give The Dark Tower a try. I'm still amazed nothing has ever come from that series of books. Definitely not any movies.
Yes please

The graphic novels are FANTASTIC if you haven’t checked those out.

I think the hesitation to do a proper, HBO GOT style treatment of The Dark Tower is maybe it’s too ‘weird’, long, or complicated for such a large (mainstream) project? No idea. It’s just so..big.

I plan to re-read both the books and graphic novels at some point.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished this tonight. I mostly enjoyed it, but found the ending to be mostly just anticlimactic. I kept waiting for something cool to happen in the last three episodes, and it just really never did. Giving what seemed to be the most interesting character so little screen time was disappointing.
Spoiler:
Desire
I’d likely watch a second season, but I certainly don’t think this one ended on a particularly high note. 6/8 tentacles.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If they were only given 10 episodes, they really didn't have much room to work with, imho. They've basically introduced the character, resolved the immediate conflict and telegraphed what the bigger picture issues are going to be moving forward. I'm pretty sure we're going to get more and I hope it comes quick!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I think part of the problem I had is that they kept introducing these really interesting characters, giving them a few minutes of screen time for one specific purpose, then never seeing them again.
Spoiler:
Cain & Abel, Constantine, Mervyn, Desire, Fiddler’s Green, Matthew, Lucifer, etc.
And it gave lots of screen time to characters that I thought were incredibly dull.
Spoiler:
I honestly could not have cared much less about Rose Walker. The whole “Cereal Killer” Convention storyline about put me to sleep.
My hope is that a second season will give these cool characters more to do.
Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:16 am That episode in the diner was like something out of the Twilight Zone.
This episode was, by far, the highlight of the season for me.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've been burning through the comics and would definitely recommend the newly-published compilations if you want more on these characters. The full 75 issues are available across 4 books, around $20 each. I've just started book 2.

3 episodes into the show, as well. Enjoying it so far, although Patton Oswalt's voice took me right out of suspension of disbelief. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:41 pm I think part of the problem I had is that they kept introducing these really interesting characters, giving them a few minutes of screen time for one specific purpose, then never seeing them again.
Spoiler:
Cain & Abel, Constantine, Mervyn, Desire, Fiddler’s Green, Matthew, Lucifer, etc.
You’re not wrong. I probably enjoyed those appearances more because I grew up on them. And I give them some leeway in exposing us to characters who will get more to do in further seasons. There’s a ton of history that they wanted to at least dip our toes into. For a non fan, I can understand why that might annoying.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Bam!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:wub:

I’m taking it slow and savoring the show. I just finished episode 7 last night. I loved the story of Hob Gadling and so far I’m really enjoying Rose Walker’s story too.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We finished ep 8 last night. Also loved the Hob/Sound of Her Wings ep.

In current meme news...

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, didn't realize it until now, but the actor playing Hob? That's Ben Kingsley's son. :shock:
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

In case this wasn't posted, the Dreaming continues!

Sandman bonus episode released :dance:
Until then, Sandman fans will have to make do with this one, which is an adaptation of two stories from the Sandman comics: “A Dream Of A Thousand Cats” and “Calliope.” The former is an animated segment featuring a wild assemblage of voice actors (some of which are meta-Gaiman nods), including Sandra Oh, Joe Lycett, David Tennant, Michael Sheen, James McAvoy, and Neil Gaiman himself. Tennant and Sheen star in Prime Video’s adaptation of Good Omens (based on a book co-written by Gaiman), McAvoy played Morpheus in Audible’s very good audiobook version of The Sandman, and Neil Gaiman is… Neil Gaiman.

The latter part of the two-part episode, “Calliope,” stars Melissanthi Mahut in the title role and Arthur Darvill (the great Rory Pond) as Richard Madoc, plus Derek Jacobi, Nina Wadia, Souad Faress, and Dinita Gohil. Both parts of the episode will most likely be standalone stories, which is probably why they’re being released separately from the rest of The Sandman, as that’s what they were in the original comics. Still, Tom Sturridge’s Dream will stop by and there will be important Sandman themes to dig into.
I'm currently listening to the audiobook of The Sandman since I can't find my graphic novels to reread at the moment. The voice talent is really good!
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

Zaxxon even pre bammed you a few posts back.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:52 pm :lol:

To paraphrase a wise vampire, OH THAT FUCKING GUY!
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:42 pm
hepcat wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:52 pm :lol:

To paraphrase a wise vampire, OH THAT FUCKING GUY!
I know, right?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

If there's a 2nd season, we get Midsummer Night's Dream...

hepcat

Re: [Netflix] The Sandm

Post by hepcat »

Okay, first 10 episodes done.

I loved the show from start to finish. I’m really surprised at how closely they stuck to the source material. I guess having the creator on board was a big plus.

The casting was almost perfect. Sturridge captured the look and (more importantly) the voice and demeanor of Morphius. Boyd was creepy as hell as The Corinthian…but he let his guard down every now and again to show us how he wanted to be free more than anything. Howell-Baptiste was the Death I wasn’t expecting, and I think it worked great (in the books, she’s a bit less grounded and that always bugged me a bit, but this version was everything from the books minus some of that goofiness). Park as Desire stole every scene they were in. Seriously, they just owned that role in so many ways. And Stephen Fry makes everything he’s in infinitely better.

The only two things that didn’t work perfectly for me were Jenna Coleman’s Constantine (she’s just not disheveled, angry and lost enough to be the character they were trying to replace), and Christie’s Lucifer. It’s not something I can describe in detail like my issue with Coleman as Constantine, but it just felt…off…to me. Christie wasn’t bad though, don’t get me wrong.

Definitely up for another season…or 8.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Finished the bonus episodes last night; excellent as expected. I was surprised to hear that Calliope was one of the episodes, mainly because of how important it is in the bigger Sandman story. But I suppose it helps provide additional insight into the character and continues to lay the groundwork for where the story will start to go...

Also, as is always the case every time I re-read the series, I was today years old when I learned that the sleeping epidemic referenced in the first episode (and comic books) was real. I legitimately had no idea, but I should have known as the overall story weaves real world events into the narrative with ease.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:shock:
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The book/film Awakenings revolves around survivors of that epidemic.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
MHS

Post by MHS »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:03 pm It's just an excellent show for fans of the graphic novels. It stays true to the look, feel and story to a remarkable degree. I'm not sure if it translates well to people who never read the series (poor bastards)....but who cares. Screw them. They've got their Game of Thrones. Let me have my Sandman!

FWIW, I've never read the series and am really enjoying the show a lot. I will probably do as Zaxxon did and purchase some of the graphic novels.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

MHS wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:12 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:03 pm It's just an excellent show for fans of the graphic novels. It stays true to the look, feel and story to a remarkable degree. I'm not sure if it translates well to people who never read the series (poor bastards)....but who cares. Screw them. They've got their Game of Thrones. Let me have my Sandman!

FWIW, I've never read the series and am really enjoying the show a lot. I will probably do as Zaxxon did and purchase some of the graphic novels.

Wait. Wrong Morpheus...
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:11 pm Finished the bonus episodes last night; excellent as expected. I was surprised to hear that Calliope was one of the episodes, mainly because of how important it is in the bigger Sandman story. But I suppose it helps provide additional insight into the character and continues to lay the groundwork for where the story will start to go...
I am glad about Calliope. I hope The Song of Orpheus makes it as a bonus season two episode. Also because of the bigger picture while being removed a step away
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent! I figured someone with your obvious taste and refinement would enjoy it immensely. :)

What I still find remarkable is how Tom Sturridge's voice just matches what I always thought Morpheus would sound like. It's always calm...even when he's obviously not.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:29 pm

Excellent! I figured someone with your obvious taste and refinement would enjoy it immensely. :)
Counterpoint. I also love it!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You just liked Morpheus’ hair. You’ve been dreaming about going emo for years now.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:59 pm You just liked Morpheus’ hair. You’ve been dreaming about going emo for years now.
EVERYONE wants that hair.