It used to be a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: It is a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're getting the axe soon. Titans I couldn't care less about, but Doom Patrol was an odd slice of genius in an oftentimes cookie cutter genre. It was heartbreaking, funny, scary, thrilling....it just refused to play by any rules. We need more stuff like that. :(
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Re: It is a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm guessing that we'll see the Penguin series, Peacemaker season 2, possibly Harley Quinn season... 4? In the theaters we'll see Shazam 2, Aquaman 2, Joker 2, and Reeves' Batman 2. The first two because of the progress already made, the last two because of how successful the first ones were. Anything else is up in the air.

And that includes The Flash.

The Flash was supposed to be their universe reboot, but the Ezra Miller drama has created problems. There have been multiple assault charges, felony burglary charges, accusations (disputed) of misconduct with minors, and general lunacy. At this point, there is a lot of talk that the actor may have become such a liability that they can't market The Flash, and may just scrap it despite it already being done (including Keaton's return as Batman.) Given that the reason for a lot of the canceled content has been to claim it as tax write-offs, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide that they can get more that way than they could get from the release + the Miller reputation.

It's a bad time to be a DC fan.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Re: It used to be a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Post by hepcat »

I doubt we’ll get another season of Harley Quinn, unfortunately.

They’d be idiots to piss off the golden goose that is James Gunn though. So we’ll get a season 2 of Peacemaker for sure.

Batman 2 I’m 50/50 on. I don’t think it’s a sure thing.

Everything I’m reading about the change up at Warner Bros. makes me think they’re just morons.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

DC Infinite launched their new "Ultra" tier today, which will make digital comics available one month after their physical release. From now until the end of November, they're offering it at an introductory price of $99/yr. In addition, they're rolling out over 5,000 more comics from their off-shoot lines such as DC Black, Vertigo, etc. by mid-November.

I had both a DC Infinite and Marvel Unlimited subscription last year, but canceled the Marvel one because I've always been a big DC fan and just don't have enough time to read both brands. So of course I jumped ALL OVER THIS. Having to wait six-months to read an issue was really my only complaint with DC Infinite, and now they've fired a shot across the bow and beaten even Marvel's 3-month window.

If you're a current subscriber with time remaining on your subscription, they'll refund you the difference of your remaining time when you purchase the new Ultra tier.

I will say their account upgrade web page was acting a bit wonky today, so if you're not in a rush you may want to wait a week or so and let them iron the bugs out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oooh, thanks for the heads up!
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, DC Comics finally found someone new to head their film department. The new co-chairs are...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smart move. Short of handing things over entirely to Bruce Timm (which they should have done ages ago), Gunn is their best choice.
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Even though I've always preferred Marvel to DC, I hope they pull it off and create some good movies. I've enjoyed all of the superhero stuff Gunn has worked on over the years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What intrigues me most about this news is that Gunn has shown a willingness...more like a desire....to deep dive into the history of comics and pull out lesser known characters in support of the larger names.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I hope this works out for them. The DC universe has so much interesting territory to mine.

Gunn is a great writer and director of superhero films, but I do wonder how that translates into whatever a studio head does. Thinking about this makes me realize that I have no idea what Kevin Feige actually does at Marvel. Like, what is his day-to-day? Picking out fabric swatches for costumes? Having a fancy Hollywood lunch with whatever talent he's trying to woo for the next tentpole film? Just sitting around and reading comics all day?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've always assumed that Feige is there make sure the suits don't get in the way of the creative team. There are numerous tales in Hollywood of financial people dropping in on movie sets and trying to make sweeping changes because they either think they know what's better from a marketing standpoint (see Jon Peters and the Giant Spider, or they just want to save money.

I'm guessing that's also why Gunn isn't doing this alone, and has Safran to do just that.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:50 pm I'm guessing that's also why Gunn isn't doing this alone, and has Safran to do just that.
Yep. According to the article, Gunn is there to run the creative end, Safran to run the business end. I do hope that will mean that we can finally start to see some DC-based films with characters who aren't part of the Justice League original 7.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That still doesn't mean anyone with a pot of paste (unless they're crossing over with someone with a tube of mustard.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Condiment King got a guest spot on a DC show. I still have hope Triple P will get his due.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And another falls: Stargirl ends after season 3 (which is the current season.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And chaos reigns.

Cavill is open to Supermanning, but hasn't' been offered anything.

Wonder Woman 3 has now been kicked to the curb, and nobody is sure if another Gadot Wonder Woman is in the works or not.

Aquaman 2 isn't out yet, but there are multiple sources that say they may be ending the role for Momoa - and moving him on to play Lobo (which is what they should have done in the first place...)

And the Flash film, originally slated for 2018, is still being bumped around thanks to Miller's antics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also, this is the worst thread to search for: "It's a good time to be a DC fan" Words ignored in search: It's, a, good, time, to, be, a, DC
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:43 pm
And the Flash film, originally slated for 2018, is still being bumped around thanks to Miller's antics.
From what I’ve read, they moved it up a week because they have been pleasantly surprised at how good it is. It doesn’t hurt that Miller did a quick apology tour and then stopped going out in public.

I’m actually fine with a reboot under Gunn. There’s just too much baggage from the Snyder years. Let’s scrub the whiteboard and start anew. I don’t mean do another round of origin films. But just start making good films with good directors and good stories.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't disagree. Dump the baggage (some of which, sadly, was tied to great performances), and reboot with less misery and at least a little bit of superhero fun.

Recasting Jason Momoa as Lobo is a great start. He's got the look, the attitude, the build, and he can act.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lobo as a character doesn’t really interest me that much. For me, he’s just another anti hero from a time in comics that saw everyone trying to make another Wolverine archetype right after that character really took off. Most of that bunch you could just change around freely and the story would be the same.

What I’d like to see is something like a Mon-El movie, a Legion of Superheroes film. Something set in space like Lobo, but with an actual story to tell that isn’t just “hey, I’m gonna act like a villain but I really have a heart of gold”.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:23 pm What I’d like to see is something like a Mon-El movie, a Legion of Superheroes film. Something set in space like Lobo, but with an actual story to tell.
Mon-El? Mon-El? You had me going until then (although I do want Lobo.) But Mon-El and the Legion? Blech.

Give me The Question. Give me a Batman Family movie (the Robins and Batgirl - Dark Knight himself optional.) Give me a proper Red Hood film (Outlaws?.) Give me Justice League Dark. Ya want space? Give me a proper Lanterns movie - if you want it to just be green, make it John Stewart with Baz and Cruz as his sidekicks. Want a vehicle to start up a new DC Extended Universe? Ok, give us Booster Gold, come back from the future as the catalyst for all the rest. Want a good comedy with room for a little darkness? Super Sons - Damian Wayne and Jon Kent.

Anything but the Legion of Superzeros.

Or give Legion to James Gunn personally and let him Guardians it up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Now you know how I feel when you ask for a Loblow film. :lol:
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Apparently there was a Batman Beyond film starring Michael Keaton in the works.

It is now dead.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:14 pm

Recasting Jason Momoa as Lobo is a great start. He's got the look, the attitude, the build, and he can act.

If Momoa doesn't work out, might I suggest Daveed Diggs? He's really great in Snowpiercer.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Well, after being being told by DC to announce his return, and apparently leaving The Witcher to do so, Cavil is now out as Superman:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/jame ... 61889/amp/
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grifman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:21 pm Well, after being being told by DC to announce his return, and apparently leaving The Witcher to do so, Cavil is now out as Superman:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/jame ... 61889/amp/
There is a strong indication that Supes wasn't the reason he left. There was some well-established and public warnings (from day one) that if the writers of The Witcher took the character in certain directions, he'd step down, and that seems to have been the biggest factor.
James Gunn Writing New ‘Superman’ Film; Henry Cavill Will Not Return, but Eyed to Play Different DC Character
Having seen him as Geralt, he'd actually make a decent Batman.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Who could have seen this coming?

#BringBackZackSnyder and #FireJamesGunn Trend as DC Fans Revolt Over Henry Cavill's Superman Cancelation
To say his first several weeks in charge of DC Studios has been a bit of a rollercoaster for James Gunn and Peter Safran is the understatement of 2022. Now the writer-director, and Warner Bros. Discovery, seem to have pushed fans too far after canceling Henry Cavill’s return as Superman, leading to two new hashtags trending on Twitter to #BringBackZackSnyder and #FireJamesGunn. Snyder fans have campaigned for his return to the DC franchise for years with the hashtag #RestoreTheSnyderVerse, and just weeks after that dream was seemingly shut down for good, this week’s events have brought Snyder’s army surging back.

Fans have never been able to let go of the “what might have been” of the SnyderVerse, and having partially won their war when Zack Snyder’s Justice League was released in 2021 the same group of people have started to feel that any social media campaign can achieve whatever they want. However, although it appears to be a futile effort, the news of Henry Cavill being dropped only a month after seemingly being confirmed to be bringing Superman back in a big way has stirred the social media pot into a frenzy.
All I can say is that nothing good ever came of not casting Henry Cavill in your project after previously casting Henry Cavill in your project. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Everything I have seen points to the idea that Gunn just wants to give DC a fresh start, and that means getting rid of anything associated with the prior DCEU. He doesn't want to move forward with Snyder's baggage defining his approach or coloring the stories. And that means getting rid of the good (Gadot, Cavill) along with the bad.

To be honest, I can't really blame him.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

When Henry Cavill was Superman all they did was make fun of how bad the movies were, his CGI-ed out mustache, etc. Then he becomes The Witcher and all of a sudden everybody just LOVED his Superman. BS.

I'm fine with going in a new direction. I don't hold any particular attachment to Cavill's portrayal. He was fine. He wasn't iconic IMO.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I think he was wasted as Superman. I'd rather get more Man from UNCLE.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Man of Steel was far from perfect but I enjoyed it at the time. I think Cavill was fine, though maybe more because Cavill is appealing in general. Crowe and Shannon are fantastic in anything they touch. Costner and Lane were pretty good, as was Fishburne. I like Amy Adams, though I don't think she fit in that film.

People will always criticize the pessimistic climax, and I think they're right to. And I was never a fan of Snyder's. But it was something else, and as someone who's never been a huge fan of Superman, that suited me fine. I do understand why others would be frustrated if they love the traditional Superman though.

I regret we won't get another Cavill movie, because maybe in a tweaked DCCU he could be great. I also agree he'd make a great Batman.

Everything after Man of Steel was garbage though. Gadot made me like Wonder Woman for the first time, but I wasn't a huge fan of either film. Comic lore accurate or not, it kind of felt like Lady MCU Captain America to me.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Cavill made a great Superman, and I've always held that view. Man of Steel, however, was an awful Superman film. That was a reflection of the writers/director/producer, though, not of Cavill. I'd have loved to see Cavill as Supes with a proper script.
msteelers

It used to be a good time to be a DC fan (Flash, Arrow, films, etc)

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote:I think he was wasted as Superman. I'd rather get more Man from UNCLE.
Watching Man from UNCLE made me dislike the DCCU even more. It was that movie that made me realize how much they wasted Cavill.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:15 pm Cavill made a great Superman, and I've always held that view. Man of Steel, however, was an awful Superman film. That was a reflection of the writers/director/producer, though, not of Cavill. I'd have loved to see Cavill as Supes with a proper script.
The only thing they did right was the relationship with his mother.

The crap with Jonathan Kent basically telling him to protect his identity even if it meant others died just pissed me off.

And Supes killing? Nope. Not my Supes.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:16 pm The crap with Jonathan Kent basically telling him to protect his identity even if it meant others died just pissed me off.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That was a standout. It was just an awful Superman movie by a guy that wanted to redefine all of the characters to fit his dark and depressing film making.

Actually, looking at his films he directed, I liked... 300. Oh, and Dawn of the Dead was OK.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:15 pm Cavill made a great Superman, and I've always held that view. Man of Steel, however, was an awful Superman film. That was a reflection of the writers/director/producer, though, not of Cavill. I'd have loved to see Cavill as Supes with a proper script.
The only thing they did right was the relationship with his mother.

The crap with Jonathan Kent basically telling him to protect his identity even if it meant others died just pissed me off.

And Supes killing? Nope. Not my Supes.
Right there with ya buddy. When I first saw MoS, I was dazzled by the spectacle of a fight that really looked like Kryptonians fighting. Praised the movie to my friends. But days passed and I started thinking about it and the whole movie soured for me.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This is still my favorite scene...even with all the Snyderverse destruction going on. It's one of the few times Snyder gets the essence of Superman right.
Spoiler:
Addendum: rumor mill is stating Cavill may be producing and have a role in a new Warhammer:40K series on Amazon.. Since he’s a well known Warhammer player, this sounds a little too good to be true though.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Batman Vs Superman was a waste of potential. Really didn't like the way they had handled it, and everything was so dour. Would have preferred a take similar to Kevin J. Anderson's Enemies and Allies, which had them reluctantly work together after a brief dustup, in order to take down Lex Luthor.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti