Grand Theft Auto V - Finally On The PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

Re: Grand Theft Auto V - Finally On The PC

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, well, the name of the island sounds like a version of Puerto Rico to me and nowhere near being local to San Andreas ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Brian

Post by Brian »

There is a new update to GTA5 that significantly improves load times.

Apparently some random user figured out a way to cut the load times and now, suddenly, Rockstar is like, "Oh hey, yeah, we know the games been like this for seven years but look, we figured out how to reduce load times so here's a patch."
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Brian wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:55 pm There is a new update to GTA5 that significantly improves load times.

Apparently some random user figured out a way to cut the load times and now, suddenly, Rockstar is like, "Oh hey, yeah, we know the games been like this for seven years but look, we figured out how to reduce load times so here's a patch."
The good news is that Rockstar gave the user that figured that out ten grand.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The bad news was that it was in Shark Cash.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In the spirit of the Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads! intent of posting to specific game threads, I'm resurrecting the GTA V thread, which coincidentally I started back in 2015. I've starting playing it again. As I noted in the former thread, I first played GTA V all the way through when it came to the PC in 2015, with a half-way replay in 2016 then a smaller replay (through the jewelry heist) in 2018. I did pick it up on Steam in 2019 but never did more than install and tinker a bit.

So I'm still killing time till F1 Manager 2022 comes out... and may need a consoling game if that game turns out to be a dud. I've reinstalled and played various games for a little bit, including Bioshock and Assassin's Creed Origins, but each time I've just lost interest after an evening. But now I'm playing GTAV...

Turns out that with so many things to do, main line missions and all the side stuff, that I'm really enjoying replaying GTAV again. I should mention that I'm only doing the Story Mode, I did some Online mode back in the day but that just didn't really make me happy. In two days I've managed to reach 20% complete and that's not even with an emphasis on the main campaign. I'm still expecting to burn out, but so far I'm really liking the gameplay.

Of course, having a cutting edge rig means I can run the game at full settings.

Although sometimes you wish you couldn't see that much detail :wink:

Vinewood is still gorgeous at night

And Los Santos is pretty even during the day.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Did you install any of the graphic mods for GTAV?
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:44 pm Did you install any of the graphic mods for GTAV?
Nope, not running any mods.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've been replaying Grand Theft Auto V for the first time in four years (story mode only, although I did a little online years ago) and I'm pleasantly surprised on how much fun I'm still finding it to be. One aspect is the vast, detailed open world, but also it's fun just bumping into a police car to start a chase, stealing a plane and going stunting or just general mayhem.

And I've even finding it entertaining to find a bicycle (south end of Vespucci Beach if nowhere else) and just riding around into places where you can't take a car. There is so much detail in the city of Los Santos and even out in the countryside of San Andreas.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bikes can be fun. I have one of each of the 3 types. I just ride around sometimes. Im only in online though when I do go back. Finished the solo game months and months ago and dont feel the urge to replay the story for a few years...if then. It was so detailed and I had so much fun I doubt i could replay it since I remember it so well.

Months ago me and some online friends form a Vespa scooter gang. They are so slow it was all comical. We'd ride the streets and smack people and players with a bat and chase them or they'd chase us. lots of dun. had fully decked out and upgraded Vespas in all kind of crazy colors.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grab a bike on the south end, go into first person, and ride to the north end of the map. It's surprisingly interesting.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:36 pm Grab a bike on the south end, go into first person, and ride to the north end of the map. It's surprisingly interesting.
I've also done some interesting walking tours across Los Santos. The environment artists who created the game world filled with so many little details that you can't see from a speeding car :D
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I just bought a Steering wheel controller (with pedals) to use for this and other games. I can't wait to try it out.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:12 pm I just bought a Steering wheel controller (with pedals) to use for this and other games. I can't wait to try it out.
Hmm, a wheel/pedal set might be a bit awkward for the portions of the game out of a car. But YMMV :horse:
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm already used to combo of keyboard and mouse for on-foot and an xbox controller for cars. IDK. I primarily bought it for ATS and FS22
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

GTAV also has something that every open world game, heck every campaign game should have. If you try and fail a mission a few times, it gives you the option to skip that part of the mission :handgestures-thumbup:. Some of us just aren't good at jumping dirt bike onto the top of a moving train :roll:

If Sleeping Dogs would have had this feature I could have been able to play it past the nightclub mission where I had to do combo martial arts fighting with every damn person in there :evil:. I failed that mission every time, and there were no cheats to get me past it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I forgot how fun GTA V is even when doing close to nothing. I went to steal a car at a red light but pulled out my gun instead and aimed at them. Scared the driver and he took off. But I was standing in front of him so I got ran over then the next car ran over me...3 or 4 cars ran over me and killed me lol

I woke up a block away somehow and some npc smarted off to me so I punched her out with one hit and an ambulance came. It stopped in the middle of the road. the lady behind them was stuck and rammed it then backed up and rammed that car. back and forth 4 times then jumped out screaming and ran away...the emts left the chic on the sidewalk and took off. WHole area was screaming

I left for like 1 min and came back by and theres 5 cop cars there and one upside down..weird times
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:40 am GTAV also has something that every open world game, heck every campaign game should have. If you try and fail a mission a few times, it gives you the option to skip that part of the mission :handgestures-thumbup:. Some of us just aren't good at jumping dirt bike onto the top of a moving train :roll:

If Sleeping Dogs would have had this feature I could have been able to play it past the nightclub mission where I had to do combo martial arts fighting with every damn person in there :evil:. I failed that mission every time, and there were no cheats to get me past it.
This is when you need those obnoxious neighborhood kids that are giving you headaches.

"Get in here and kill all these people in this nightclub, and I'll give ya 5 bucks. Yes, the hookers too. Oh, don't give me that look."
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oh man, I just came across the second of two videos I made in GTAV back in 2015 using the editor. It was previously posted in this thread, but for those who want to wander down the nostalgia trail one more time, here it is

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:53 pm I forgot how fun GTA V is even when doing close to nothing. I went to steal a car at a red light but pulled out my gun instead and aimed at them. Scared the driver and he took off. But I was standing in front of him so I got ran over then the next car ran over me...3 or 4 cars ran over me and killed me lol

I woke up a block away somehow and some npc smarted off to me so I punched her out with one hit and an ambulance came. It stopped in the middle of the road. the lady behind them was stuck and rammed it then backed up and rammed that car. back and forth 4 times then jumped out screaming and ran away...the emts left the chic on the sidewalk and took off. WHole area was screaming

I left for like 1 min and came back by and theres 5 cop cars there and one upside down..weird times
I may know exactly what you're talking about. Clips from a few OO games. First one is timestamped to the point your story reminded me of.

Brian

Post by Brian »

Fun times.

Coincidentally, it's been over a year since I've posted any gameplay videos. While the games we've been playing have been fun, none of them have really leant themselves to the kind of mayhem and laugh out load moments that GTA did.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nope. Although The Division did result in a number of videos. Not as many as Wildlands (which was, I think, a better game), but still a few.