Tea & Kombucha

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Tea & Kombucha

Post by Blackhawk »

Speaking of which, my basket infuser is wearing out, and the company that made it is gone. I have another (a different brand) but the mesh is so fine and the metal is so thin that it is a huge pain to clean up after brewing a cup.

Does anyone have a recommendation?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The ones we use are from Murchie's Tea, but this looks the same-

https://www.oxo.com/twisting-tea-ball.html
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've been quite satisfied with the strainer I got from Harney and Sons. The only real issue is that it doesn't work as well if I use a non-standard cup (usually because the mouth is too wide for the strainer and lid to fit securely on. I really like that I can flip the lid and use it to set the strainer on.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've now tried several more of the 2lb bags/boxes of black tea from random brands found at Indian import grocery stores - it almost doesn't matter what brand you get: these are for sure the best-bang-for-buck. you get a LOT for $9-$12 and every one i've gotten has been really good. put half (or more) in the freezer so it stays fresher longer, as it'll take a while to go through that first pound.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:40 pm I've been quite satisfied with the strainer I got from Harney and Sons. The only real issue is that it doesn't work as well if I use a non-standard cup (usually because the mouth is too wide for the strainer and lid to fit securely on. I really like that I can flip the lid and use it to set the strainer on.
Thanks. I'm a big fan of Harney & Sons (I get most of my non-discount tea from them now), and definitely prefer a basket infuser over a ball style. They give teas with larger leaves (some teas are nearly whole leaves rolled rather than chopped) room to expand properly.
hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:25 pm i've now tried several more of the 2lb bags/boxes of black tea from random brands found at Indian import grocery stores - it almost doesn't matter what brand you get: these are for sure the best-bang-for-buck. you get a LOT for $9-$12 and every one i've gotten has been really good. put half (or more) in the freezer so it stays fresher longer, as it'll take a while to go through that first pound.
FWIW, tea, like coffee, shouldn't go in the freezer. It can actually speed up the oxidization, and will fool you by helping it to keep the color at the same time. The best way to store tea long-term is to get some airtight, light blocking mylar food-grade storage bags (I use these), put the tea in there, squeeze out the air, and store them someplace cool - it doesn't need to be cold, just cool. More delicate green teas, however, can benefit from being stored in the fridge. If you do decide to store them somewhere cold, it absolutely needs to be in something airtight, and let them warm up to room temperature for at least an hour or so before opening them and letting moisture into the bag (or you'll find yourself with damp tea - maybe not damp enough to feel, but damp enough to speed deterioration considerably.)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

well what do you know... i learned something

https://www.plumdeluxe.com/the-fastest- ... in-freezer
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

trying out making matcha now (the traditional way, with bamboo whisk and tea bowl, etc)... it's annoying that you have to make it in 2oz servings, one at a time. kinda just want to get a milk frother and vrrrrrr it up directly in the mug.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/how-to- ... green-tea/
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've wanted to experiment with matcha, but the equipment plus the tea itself are a little cost prohibitive for me.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

while here in London i got this Scotch Whisky Black from Whitard of Chelsea that promises to be good

https://www.whittard.co.uk/tea/tea-type ... 15069.html

the proprietor suggested adding just two drops of whole milk to each cup for best flavor
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

while in Prague i had these Pickwick teas in the hotel room. the 'English Breakfast' tea was ok and all, but the fruit tisanes (no actual tea, so no caffeine) are probably the best i've tried in a mass-market brand. very strong flavor! a huge improvement over the 'slightly fruit-flavored water with bitter and off-taste notes' ones i've had in the US. https://www.amazon.com/Pickwick-Tea/s?k=Pickwick+Tea
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:34 pm while in Prague i had these Pickwick teas in the hotel room. the 'English Breakfast' tea was ok and all, but the fruit tisanes (no actual tea, so no caffeine) are probably the best i've tried in a mass-market brand. very strong flavor! a huge improvement over the 'slightly fruit-flavored water with bitter and off-taste notes' ones i've had in the US. https://www.amazon.com/Pickwick-Tea/s?k=Pickwick+Tea
Which flavors did you like the best?
two months
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

em2nought wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:15 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:34 pm while in Prague i had these Pickwick teas in the hotel room. the 'English Breakfast' tea was ok and all, but the fruit tisanes (no actual tea, so no caffeine) are probably the best i've tried in a mass-market brand. very strong flavor! a huge improvement over the 'slightly fruit-flavored water with bitter and off-taste notes' ones i've had in the US. https://www.amazon.com/Pickwick-Tea/s?k=Pickwick+Tea
Which flavors did you like the best?
i had the "Forest Fruit" and "Strawberry". i am sure they are all good, tho.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:18 pm i had the "Forest Fruit" and "Strawberry". i am sure they are all good, tho.
Thanks!
two months