What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by YellowKing »

Lawbeefaroni wrote:Just went guitar shoppingwith the kiddo for her birthday. Didn't expect it to make this thread. Who knew?
I'm approaching that pain point, My daughter is taking drum lessons, so a drum set is a necessity at this point. That will probably be her birthday present, but a starter set that is anywhere close to decent runs $450.

My son takes piano, but we were able to get off a little easier by buying a nice full range digital keyboard. Those still aren't cheap, but they're a heck of a lot cheaper than buying an actual piano.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

She graduated from a $55 1/2 size starter guitar that she's had for 5 years so I can't complain too much. She was playing yesterday and even I could tell the difference.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Montag wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:34 pm I got one of these, about 18 months ago I think.

Looks like yours may be a bit bigger, but for this table $4K would get the table, topper, cupholders, dividers, and chairs and still have some left over.
The recessed playing area will be 72 x 44 inches to cover all my playmat sizes. It will be custom made from Ash. It looks similar in pricing to other options out there.
I have a boardgametable.com table too at 3.5 x 6, with a 3 piece topper. Got an end cap so I can leave in 1 of the toppers and reduce the play area to 3.5 x 4.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We're having some plumbing work done at the house. The big ticket items were a new kitchen faucet plus tomorrow they're supposed to be replacing the outside taps for the front and back yards (both of which get a mere trickle of water). There were a few other minor items, too. Total cost is around $5K.

We're also getting quotes for converting the main floor bathroom into a roll-in shower so that we can roll my oldest's bath seat into the shower and I won't have to lift him into and out of a bath tub (which is murder on my back, as you might expect). First estimate came in at a hair under $10K.

It's a good thing we still have liquid funds available from the sale of the old house.
YellowKing wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:22 am I'm approaching that pain point, My daughter is taking drum lessons, so a drum set is a necessity at this point. That will probably be her birthday present, but a starter set that is anywhere close to decent runs $450.
We got this kit for my son a few years ago when he started drums (although I remember it being cheaper - inflation, I guess). One of the pedals went a bit wonky, but otherwise it's been solid. I like having the electric drums because we can put a small speaker on it and keep the volume reasonable.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
geezer

Post by geezer »

Looks like for us it's going to be a house, because we're probably (call it 75%) getting the %$@& out of Texas. Looking coastal - at San Diego and Annapolis, MD to start. Wife vetoed PNW, Denver, and New England, I vetoed the midwest and the south, so looks like it's CA or mid-atlantic. Wish us luck.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Good luck! I like MD and VA, although they're a little too steamy for our warming world. But if you're from TX you're used to hot. I don't have any personal experience with CA.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:55 am Good luck! I like MD and VA, although they're a little too steamy for our warming world. But if you're from TX you're used to hot. I don't have any personal experience with CA.
Thanks! I'm not actually from TX per se - I've just lived here for a chunk of my life. I grew up in the DC (NOVA) area, and lived in San Diego for several years as well - either will do nicely. I prefer the west coast climate, but as I recall, those "seasons" they have back east are kind of nice as well ;) Wife is wanting for some property/privacy and it's going to be difficult to find what she wants in SoCal at a price we can afford, so we'll see.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

geezer wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:16 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:55 am Good luck! I like MD and VA, although they're a little too steamy for our warming world. But if you're from TX you're used to hot. I don't have any personal experience with CA.
Thanks! I'm not actually from TX per se - I've just lived here for a chunk of my life. I grew up in the DC (NOVA) area, and lived in San Diego for several years as well - either will do nicely. I prefer the west coast climate, but as I recall, those "seasons" they have back east are kind of nice as well ;) Wife is wanting for some property/privacy and it's going to be difficult to find what she wants in SoCal at a price we can afford, so we'll see.
I lived in Virginia Beach for a few years and found it pleasant weather wise.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:11 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:09 pm
malchior wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:53 pm Edit: Just tallied them up - not 10 - roof permit (2013 - open), window replacements (2014 - open), furnace (2019 - open), chimney flue (2019 - open), water heater (2020 - open), new electrical circuit by pool (2021 - open), ev charger and total electrical upgrade (2021 - open). If it was to protect against the contractors...it isn't actually happening.
Don't worry - when you go to sell your house it'll be something that potentially cocks up the offer and/or closing.

And yes, contractor shouldn't get final payment until town gives you the final approval sticker.
The contractors would go broke here. :)

Funny story. When I was buying this house I got a hint to this. I did an OPRA request on the permits to make sure the pool was permitted. I did this - not the title company. The lawyer said it wasn't something he was worried about (he knows the dreary state of this town most likely). The town couldn't find it. I said there definitely was a pool built in the 80s. They called me a few days later to tell me they found it. They found it was open as well! But then told me not to worry about it. So maybe it'll be a problem but I can't worry about it. It's Chinatown.
This came around again today. I didn't get into it but the first construction inspection was...underwhelming. The inspector came out looked at it for about 10 seconds, said "these guys do great work!", and then engaged in a conversation about the yard/pool. Final inspection? The deck was completed well over a month ago (June 10th to be exact).

The inspector came out about 3 weeks later and met with my wife. Again he looked at it for 10 second, said, "these guys do great work!", talked to her about the yard, and left. I feel like I might not be getting my money's worth on the inspection process. :)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: In NJ all construction permits are priced as a % of whatever the estimated total cost of construction would be. As a former local official I'm clearly biased, but given the insane things I've seen over the last few years (pandemic related swindles), having local officials involved to make sure contractors aren't cutting corners is necessary more so now than ever.
malchior wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:11 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:09 pm
malchior wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:53 pm Edit: Just tallied them up - not 10 - roof permit (2013 - open), window replacements (2014 - open), furnace (2019 - open), chimney flue (2019 - open), water heater (2020 - open), new electrical circuit by pool (2021 - open), ev charger and total electrical upgrade (2021 - open). If it was to protect against the contractors...it isn't actually happening.
Don't worry - when you go to sell your house it'll be something that potentially cocks up the offer and/or closing.

And yes, contractor shouldn't get final payment until town gives you the final approval sticker.
The contractors would go broke here. :)

Funny story. When I was buying this house I got a hint to this. I did an OPRA request on the permits to make sure the pool was permitted. I did this - not the title company. The lawyer said it wasn't something he was worried about (he knows the dreary state of this town most likely). The town couldn't find it. I said there definitely was a pool built in the 80s. They called me a few days later to tell me they found it. They found it was open as well! But then told me not to worry about it. So maybe it'll be a problem but I can't worry about it. It's Chinatown.
This came around again today. I didn't get into it but the first construction inspection was...underwhelming. The inspector came out looked at it for about 10 seconds, said "these guys do great work!", and then engaged in a conversation about the yard/pool.

The deck was completed well over a month ago (June 10th to be exact). The inspector came out about 3 weeks later and met with my wife. Again he looked at it for 10 second, said, "these guys do great work!", talked to her about the yard, and left.

The deck company contacted me because they are struggling to close the permit. So now I am going to call them and remind them that they visited.

That coincidentally coincides with the beginning of my solar project today. 48 panels are sitting in my driveway and the installers are going to be mounting my 17kW system today. They'll be tying into the still uninspected electrical work from last year. I've called the town about 5 times ahead of this. I feel like I might not be getting my money's worth on the inspection process. :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:19 pm I think this needs to be mine.

Enlarge Image
Pre-ordered that on day one.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Next unexpected purchase was 16TB of external HD space to deal with me accidentally launching 16TB of HDs across the room while trying to fix an audio issue.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Next major purchase would be the installation of a shower door for the walk in shower I had built last year. Preferably before winter sets in, as it gets drafty when showering.

Enlarge Image
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I installed a new shower door when I had COVID. Highly recommend a bi-fold for an entry like that.

MYT
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:54 am I installed a new shower door when I had COVID. Highly recommend a bi-fold for an entry like that.
I had not thought about a bi-fold. If it can fold inwards, that would be ideal. Thanks.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lassr wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:18 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:54 am I installed a new shower door when I had COVID. Highly recommend a bi-fold for an entry like that.
I had not thought about a bi-fold. If it can fold inwards, that would be ideal. Thanks.
The one I put in could go either way. Opted for inward to save space and also no dripping outside.

It's not complicated but requires a lot of patience, precision, and some heavy lifting. I had 10+ days in isolation to do it. If I didn't, I'd have hired a professional.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like my next purchase is car exhaust repair. It has long tube headers to a H pipe to dual exhausts and it hangs low and drags over all speed bumps and shit. Its got a good sounding exhaust leak now. Phone estimate is $120. So thats to do next month. Dont think I got enough left after that well pump for this month.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Exodor wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:31 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:17 am Fucking Samsung appliances.

I love Samsung TVs but their appliances are hot garbage. I bought a Samsung dishwasher that only lasted a few years before it needed replacement (and that was after several repairs).

Never again.
Down goes another Samsung appliance! House had a Samsung refrigerator when we moved in last September, so we knew it was only a matter of time. Still, I wish it could have lasted a year. Current one isn't completely dead, but it makes a heck of a racket when the fan kicks on and it's almost 10 years old so repair probably doesn't make sense at this point. New fridge is coming on Wednesday, and we've got a second fridge in the basement if this one goes completely out by then (although we'll likely have to sacrifice some items if it comes to that - the basement fridge isn't that big).

Did not need this coming on the heels of a big downpayment to remodel the main floor bathroom to make it accessible!

Fortunately, this is the last of the Samsung appliances I anticipate owning in my lifetime. The rest of the kitchen is non-Samsung and neither are the washer-dryers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get the not needed part. I STILL dont have my property tax saved up for this year. Thanks to the well pump and now the car exhaust needing work plus other things not to even mention something as small as a hair cut.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:03 pm (although we'll likely have to sacrifice some items if it comes to that - the basement fridge isn't that big).
May the appliance gods be appeased by your offering.

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Just had a new dishwasher installed yesterday. The old one blew out it's heater coil, and didn't work well before then.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:27 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:03 pm (although we'll likely have to sacrifice some items if it comes to that - the basement fridge isn't that big).
May the appliance gods be appeased by your offering.
They were not. Upstairs fridge wasn't holding temps last night, so we transferred as much as we could downstairs. The fridge part itself went OK, but we had to cull some of the less necessary/older items from the freezer. Of course, with a much lighter load the upstairs fridge seems to be doing just fine.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I try not to ever push anything up against the back wall of my refrigerator's freezer section leaving a little space back there for circulation. I've always been fond of Whirlpool.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They say a fuller freezer works better but never block the vents.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I was pulling out of a parking space next to a curb tonight and I turned too soon, sideswiping the curb enough to briefly jump it. That was enough to rip off the plastic rocker panel on the driver's side. I thought that I had ruined the tire so I decided to keep driving for as long as I could; my car doesn't have a spare and I wanted to make it home (less than a mile) for as long as the ride felt stable. Bad decision; that big ol' body panel bounced along the road the whole way. It was dark when I got home so I didn't bother inspecting it; I just assume I ruined it. The tire looked fine.

I'd had one beer and half a pizza over the course of an hour so intoxication was not a factor.

Tomorrow I'll run down to the body shop for an estimate. My insurance deductible is $500 so it shouldn't cost me any more than that plus my time and aggravation. Still sucks. If I'd gotten out of the car and sized up the situation right away I might have been able to save the panel. $500 is a major purchase if you're buying something you don't want and didn't need until suddenly ago.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Won't your premium go up?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:23 pm Won't your premium go up?
IDK, it didn't after my much larger claim 4.5 years ago. I had to have half the car repainted then after a dog attacked it. Or maybe it was a bear. Yeah, let's go with bear. Anyway, GEICO gave me no headaches and my premium went down to $550/yr for full coverage on two cars when the "over 65" discount kicked in, so I'm feeling frisky.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

A military prep boarding school for my incoming high school freshman. :shock:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Kurth wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:28 am A military prep boarding school for my incoming high school freshman. :shock:
Is that a reward or a punishment?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:01 am 48 panels are sitting in my driveway and the installers are going to be mounting my 17kW system today. They'll be tying into the still uninspected electrical work from last year. I've called the town about 5 times ahead of this. I feel like I might not be getting my money's worth on the inspection process. :)
Jealousy abounds. My roof is entirely covered with 30 panels. I'd love to pop another 15 on there if I could. I hope the install went well, and that you wound up getting your money's worth on the inspection process.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:08 am
malchior wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:01 am 48 panels are sitting in my driveway and the installers are going to be mounting my 17kW system today. They'll be tying into the still uninspected electrical work from last year. I've called the town about 5 times ahead of this. I feel like I might not be getting my money's worth on the inspection process. :)
Jealousy abounds. My roof is entirely covered with 30 panels. I'd love to pop another 15 on there if I could. I hope the install went well, and that you wound up getting your money's worth on the inspection process.
The process here is ... slow. The work was completed July 30th. The inspection and certification by the town completed on 8/17.
The fire inspector and building inspector literally looked at it from the street and stuffed the approvals in my door frame! The electrical inspector looked at the interconnect and (correctly) found a minor issue.

tldr; stuff here about my only gripe - the electricians.
Spoiler:
The installer's electrician did a sloppy job. I actually had cleaned up the AC combiner after installation and before inspection. Their work crews are working flat out and it was just corner cutting stuff like not dressing in wires but one wire was sticking out the front of the panel. It was caught between the cutout in the panel and the breaker. The electrical inspector probably would have lost his mind if he saw it. I also asked them to give me a shout to put my personal Sense CT (power monitoring) back in before he closed up the panel. I went outside and came back in 10 minutes later and he closed it up. Annoying.

Luckily the electricians only did the interconnect/line tap work. The actual wiring from panels down to the electrical interconnect was done by the roofers (seriously). I however was pretty up in their business in a friendly way and saw them do a superb job.
I'm on every email and the turn around time on things is atrocious here. The town sent over their cert on 8/17. My installer sent it to the power company on 8/17. Yesterday I got notice the power company *ORDERED* the net meter and it could be another 25 business days for their inspection and meter cut over. So beginning to end it will likely take 5 months to get an install completed in NJ. It's not great at all. However, when they commissioned the system with Enphase it was online at about 8:30 AM about 4 days ago and it was generating 6 KW. Not bad with the sun nowhere near the peak. Next year I hope to really see 70-85KWh days out of it.
Last edited by malchior on Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Good to hear that the power co is a huge holdup outside of Colorado, too. Sigh. It's almost as though they aren't enthused to permanently lose a huge portion of your power costs.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:29 am Good to hear that the power co is a huge holdup outside of Colorado, too. Sigh. It's almost as though they aren't enthused to permanently lose a huge portion of your power costs.
The power company is 25% of the delay. Almost all of the delay is permitting at the town level and their inspections which as usual were a sham. To be a little fair, the town electrician did look at it in more than a glancing sense. He pointed out a minor issue but it's also the sort of code thing that is subject to much disagreement so I'd say neither side was wrong. The inspector just by default wins. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Out here our inspections were done within 24-48 hours on both of my installs. The power co took 30+ days both times to do the 15-min work of a meter install.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I can almost pop that rocker panel back into place myself. Almost. I can't do it by myself lying down on the driveway. If a body shop can hoist it to eye level and replace a couple of broken fasteners, it should be a quick (and cheap) repair. The panel doesn't look great but it's not worth spending big bucks to replace.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

If you can afford the central coast of California I would recommend that. California has beautiful mountains but with the current wildfire situation it is hard to recommend that. Almost everywhere in California (except the coast) gets hot but humidity here doesn’t exist compared to the east coast.
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:09 pm
If you can afford the central coast of California I would recommend that. California has beautiful mountains but with the current wildfire situation it is hard to recommend that. Almost everywhere in California (except the coast) gets hot but humidity here doesn’t exist compared to the east coast.
We actually just got back from San Diego two days ago. We were just scouting, but my wife (surprisingly) ended up liking it so much that we put an offer in on an historic, but perfectly renovated, bungalow. We weren’t really ready, so a lot of things have to come through, but we’ll see.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

geezer wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:10 pm
We actually just got back from San Diego two days ago. We were just scouting, but my wife (surprisingly) ended up liking it so much that we put an offer in on an historic, but perfectly renovated, bungalow. We weren’t really ready, so a lot of things have to come through, but we’ll see.
Good luck!
geezer

Post by geezer »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:20 pm
geezer wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:10 pm
Good luck!
Thanks!