Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: Random randomness

Post by Unagi »

I’ve been doing Kk for a while now.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:12 am I honestly don't see that, and doubt the connection is strong enough to change my using that particular term.
I fully expect I'm being too sensitive to the opinions of a small number of people. I have a couple of online friend groups that tend to be aggressively progressive. Very vocal in their anti-right wing and anti-normie culture.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That's the first I've heard of it. I of course accept the appropriation of the hand gesture, but this meaning extending to the word OK? That's ridiculous. It's an overreaction. OK is ubiquitous. That's like trying to appropriate the word "yes". k or kk is just a variation on OK. I couldn't care less about losing the hand gesture as I never use it; but with regard to the word, some stuff we need to fight back on. I mostly only use it in text messages and the like, but I use it a lot there.

That doesn't mean I don't reserve the right to re-evaluate my position as culture evolves. I'm not going to knowingly use a hateful word just to be edgy or make a point. But I don't see widespread acceptance of this change in meaning on the first page of a few Google searches. If we treat it as such we're just going to propagate this change. Mind you I don't hold it against anyone who feels differently (there are certainly other words that can be used in its place); I just don't agree it's problematic at this point. If I see evidence of a majority of people being offended by it I will of course reconsider. In the meantime, I prefer to drown out any possibility of negative appropriation with rampant, unrestrained use.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Leaving the gesture aside, I think the objection of the Youngs to "OK" (the word) is that it is considered tepid and insufficiently committed. To them it sort of implies an eyeroll.

I wonder if "OK!" (with the exclamation mark) escapes that.

As ever, though, it's best to remember that the rising generation owns the language. We had our time with it, and now it's their turn.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I guess that's a view. I prefer to think that if you're alive and you use language, you have a say in how it's used even if only by demonstration. No generation's opinion is invalid. But once I'm dead I obviously won't care.

Mind you, I'm younger than most OO members and I don't have kids. I often argued for traditional usage and eschewed a lot of new slang when I was young. So, to employ a different right-wing trope, from my cold dead hands.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:08 pm I guess that's a view. I prefer to think that if you're alive and you use language, you have a say in how it's used even if only by demonstration. No generation's opinion is invalid. But once I'm dead I obviously won't care.

Mind you, I'm younger than most OO members and I don't have kids. I often argued for traditional usage and eschewed a lot of new slang when I was young. So, to employ a different right-wing trope, from my cold dead hands.
Well, I was being a bit arch.

A clearer point might be that language is a very social, sensitive, and adaptive instrument that changes with circumstances, and that we can't "fix" it into the stable form we happen to like best.

It's fun to remember that, historically speaking, language change has slowed considerably with the invention of print (and screens), which does fix forms and structures at least to the degree that they are preserved as texts and examples.

You could have a coherent discussion with an English-speaker from 400 years ago and (leaving slang and technological terms aside) understand yourselves to be speaking the same language. But that same person would probably have been unable to readily comprehend the speech or writing of their ancestor just 200 years prior.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:45 pm Leaving the gesture aside, I think the objection of the Youngs to "OK" (the word) is that it is considered tepid and insufficiently committed. To them it sort of implies an eyeroll.
When I was in my thirties my wife's teenage nephew thought he was hot stuff. When he tried to impress me with some of his... stuff, I told him that people aren't really interesting to me till they are at least 21.

Then he was in his twenties I changed my minimum age level of interest to 35.

He just turned 50. I'm starting to run out of years, but I'm sure I won't really care about what he has to say till he's my age :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

harsh critic. I golf clap you sir. wait what!?? No golf clap emojis on this board?? Are we imbeciles???
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

:handgestures-thumbup:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:30 pm :handgestures-thumbup:
Ok, Boomer.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm almost old enough to be some of the boomers dad.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I haven't been into sports for many years, but this year I'm looking forward to watching football.
Might be because I always let my wife watch whatever she wanted. That was about all she could do.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:48 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:40 am There are actual issues with 'OK' other than the gesture?
I've seen suggestions that the gesture identification is enough to taint the word itself. Add the confusion over the changing meaning (is it a positive response, is it sarcastic, is it a complete brush off?) and it is enough for me to steer away from it most of the time even if the language needs a good, short, positive acknowledgement word. Unfortunately roger and affirmative both sound stilted and, at least to my ears, simply k sounds even more passive aggressive or sarcastic then OK.
Cool... cool, cool, cool.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Everythings cool. Alright alright alright
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:49 pm I'm almost old enough to be some of the boomers dad.
Boomers are defined as 1946-1964. You're one of us, Mr. 1949.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

True, I started the boomers.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

And you'll end them.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You all wish.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not even sure where to put this.

.@MassDOT Highway Administrator @JLGulliver warns that there will be "severe traffic congestion" throughout the Boston area due to the Orange Line shutdown.

"If possible, avoid the region altogether until the diversion period has concluded."
To be clear, they are recommending people avoid Boston (and the surrounding area) for 30+ days while they shut down the Orange Line. That seems...unreasonable.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

To be clear, they are recommending people avoid Boston (and the surrounding area) for 30+ days while they shut down the Orange Line. That seems...unreasonable.
Not encountered Boston drivers have you? :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:11 pm To be clear, they are recommending people avoid Boston (and the surrounding area) for 30+ days while they shut down the Orange Line. That seems...unreasonable.
I lived on Cape Cod for a few years and I tried to avoid Boston like the plague :wink:.

Actually, I did some research on the web but I'm not sure how big a shutdown this is or what the relationship is between the Orange line and the rest of mass transit in the Boston area. Anyone have more information on this?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:23 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:11 pm To be clear, they are recommending people avoid Boston (and the surrounding area) for 30+ days while they shut down the Orange Line. That seems...unreasonable.
I lived on Cape Cod for a few years and I tried to avoid Boston like the plague :wink:.

Actually, I did some research on the web but I'm not sure how big a shutdown this is or what the relationship is between the Orange line and the rest of mass transit in the Boston area. Anyone have more information on this?
The Orange Line is the second-busiest subway line, moving a little over 100,000 people per day. They figure they can get five years worth of maintenance done in 30 days with the shutdown. The T has had some high-profile safety failures lately, including a fire on an Orange Line train last month that had people jumping out the windows.

While they're at it, they're also shutting down the new Green Line extension into Somerville. They figure that will allow them to open the next and final extension earlier than they would have done.

Orange Line service is being replaced by shuttle buses, which are larger than regular city buses and therefore need routing considerations for lane size and turning radius, which will disrupt regular traffic. Given that students are about to return to school, it's going to be a very bad month for anyone who needs to go anywhere in Boston.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If all the people with the capability to work from home (and their leadership allowed it) did so, it might be feasible.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:06 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:23 pm

The Orange Line is the second-busiest subway line, moving a little over 100,000 people per day. They figure they can get five years worth of maintenance done in 30 days with the shutdown. The T has had some high-profile safety failures lately, including a fire on an Orange Line train last month that had people jumping out the windows.

While they're at it, they're also shutting down the new Green Line extension into Somerville. They figure that will allow them to open the next and final extension earlier than they would have done.

Orange Line service is being replaced by shuttle buses, which are larger than regular city buses and therefore need routing considerations for lane size and turning radius, which will disrupt regular traffic. Given that students are about to return to school, it's going to be a very bad month for anyone who needs to go anywhere in Boston.
There's also talk of the Feds coming in to take over the whole system due to all the safety issues. So that's fun. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

All it takes is one road grader in Hogeye to screw up traffic.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For the guys......ever notice that an eyebrow will almost never ever itch but as soon as you go to the bathroom to pee and get everything in hand so to speak it will always itch???

Theres some kind of hidden secret rule there.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:53 pm Enlarge Image
Are the overwrites on the map above due to the current shutdown or a longer term issue?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:08 pm For the guys......ever notice that an eyebrow will almost never ever itch but as soon as you go to the bathroom to pee and get everything in hand so to speak it will always itch???

Theres some kind of hidden secret rule there.
You're supposed to pee *down*!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:28 pm
Are the overwrites on the map above due to the current shutdown or a longer term issue?
Feral ghouls.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:28 pm
That map actually dates to the winter of 2014-15, which was the worst in history.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like a map from Half Life 2.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Follow the yellow brick road! Follow the yellow brick road!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Don't know if someone has posted about this already. It's called THE LINE (all caps).
What if we could start again? THE LINE rethinks everything we know about how people live, work and play. A 170 km-long vertical city, designed around people, rather than cars. A revolution in urban living. A city that delivers new wonders for the world.
It may sound outrageous and a pipe dream, but there's a lot of Saudi Arabian money behind it. Read more about it and their sister projects Trojena and Oxagon at NEOM

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya that doesn't say anything about waste and power. People are nasty.

Also how would you get to anywhere in 20 min with no car if its 170km long?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

High-speed rail.
The Line will consist of three layers, including one on the surface for pedestrians, one underground for infrastructure, and another underground for transportation. The transportation layer will include a high-speed rail system, which is claimed to allow people to go from one side of the city to the other side in 20 minutes when finished, reaching a speed of 512 km/h, which is faster than existing high-speed rail at the time of announcement.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At least everybody should get good wifi.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sorry, that seems like a dystopian hellscape to me.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:08 am Sorry, that seems like a dystopian hellscape to me.
Sorry, are we talking about THE LINE or Boston? :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's a line of a different color.
It's almost as if people are the problem.