Liz Cheney has earned a thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Liz Cheney has earned a thread

Post by Kraken »

I disagree with probably 90% of her policy and social views and hated her father. But she's a loyal American in a party that has fewer and fewer, and she's positioned herself to lead the opposition to trump.

Despite losing her House seat, she'll be a force to reckon with over the next couple of years, and so I bestow upon her a thread.
Jaymann

Re: Liz Cheney has earned a thread

Post by Jaymann »

If she runs for president in 2024 she won't get the nomination, but is one of the few who will call out Florida Man on his BS.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

She could go Democrat.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:05 am She could go Democrat.
That’s 100% the absolute last thing she should do.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:05 am She could go Democrat.
I think we've established she isn't opportunistic or an idiot.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:04 am If she runs for president in 2024 she won't get the nomination, but is one of the few who will call out Florida Man on his BS.
If she plans on that, she shouldn't say a word about it until after she leaves office in January. Otherwise it would undermine the Jan 6 Committee.

And she should only ever run if the GOP takes the House and dissolves or perverts the committee.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Let's see where we are come December.

She was a good little trooper until J6, which was a major factor in enabling J6.

She's under a time limit to actually accomplish something - let's see what gets accomplished...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

A lot of political pundits are spilling ink on whether she'll run for the GOP nomination in 2024, with the presumption being that she would be running against Trump for the nomination. I very much doubt that that would make any sense. Obviously she wouldn't win. A lot of people (i.e. talking heads) are dying for her to "take it to Trump" only I don't see how anything like that happens either. There's no way that the RNC would let Cheney debate Trump (I very much doubt that Trump will ever participate in a debate ever again), or give her much air space to make her case to the Republican base.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I can imagine her running in the primaries to position herself as the leader of the not-trump Republicans. There are surely a substantial number of loyal conservatives quietly wishing for someone to restore their party. Then, when she loses the nom, she mounts a third-party run to peel off all of those habitual R voters who don't like trump or his would-be heir. That should be enough to throw the election to the D candidate, even if that is Harris or Biden.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Liz Cheney Says New Political Group Will Target Trump Allies

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... cc5d87a356

Like the OP stated, I'm pretty certain I don't agree with any of her previous policy positions, etc, etc, etc. - But I'm just so thankful that she exists - almost more than I am thankful that any democrat exists... It's just unbelievable.

On some level, she is focused on what is likely our most critical primary issue.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:04 am If she runs for president in 2024 she won't get the nomination, but is one of the few who will call out Florida Man on his BS.
Which one?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:22 pm I can imagine her running in the primaries to position herself as the leader of the not-trump Republicans. There are surely a substantial number of loyal conservatives quietly wishing for someone to restore their party. Then, when she loses the nom, she mounts a third-party run to peel off all of those habitual R voters who don't like trump or his would-be heir. That should be enough to throw the election to the D candidate, even if that is Harris or Biden.
From your lips to Liz Cheney's ears.

Let's hope so. This would be the absolute best possible outcome. Maybe game-saving.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:33 pm
Kraken wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:22 pm I can imagine her running in the primaries to position herself as the leader of the not-trump Republicans. There are surely a substantial number of loyal conservatives quietly wishing for someone to restore their party. Then, when she loses the nom, she mounts a third-party run to peel off all of those habitual R voters who don't like trump or his would-be heir. That should be enough to throw the election to the D candidate, even if that is Harris or Biden.

Let's hope so. This would be the absolute best possible outcome. Maybe game-saving.
I'm not sure that it's a slam dunk that Cheney would take more votes from Trump than from Biden. How many anti-Trump Republican voters are there that are willing to vote for Cheney but not Biden? Vs. how many of them are willing to vote for Biden if they have no other anti-Trump choice but who would vote for Cheney if given the choice?

Though honestly my guess is that she wouldn't have a material impact either way.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:57 pm

I'm not sure that it's a slam dunk that Cheney would take more votes from Trump than from Biden. How many anti-Trump Republican voters are there that are willing to vote for Cheney but not Biden? Vs. how many of them are willing to vote for Biden if they have no other anti-Trump choice but who would vote for Cheney if given the choice?

Though honestly my guess is that she wouldn't have a material impact either way.
That's a good point. I haven't really thought about Cheney peeling votes off of the Democratic candidate. I'm really not sure about that.

My gut tells me there are significantly more tribal GOP voters who don't want to vote for Trump but feel like he's a better option (cause R) than any Democrat, and they would be the votes Cheney would get. Hard for me to imagine there are any substantial number of Democrats who would vote for Cheney over a Democratic nominee.

But my gut also told me to eat that last piece of pepperoni pizza tonight, too, so, take that for what it's worth.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kurth wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:53 am My gut tells me there are significantly more tribal GOP voters who don't want to vote for Trump but feel like he's a better option (cause R) than any Democrat, and they would be the votes Cheney would get. Hard for me to imagine there are any substantial number of Democrats who would vote for Cheney over a Democratic nominee.

But my gut also told me to eat that last piece of pepperoni pizza tonight, too, so, take that for what it's worth.
My got always tells me to eat the pizza but I simply don't see the masses of anti me (those who are voting to keep the democrats out of office in the way am voting to keep to Republicans out of office) voting for Cheney against the will of their party to elect Trump. Trump loses by having more voter turnout and a fair election. More voter turnout split away from the presumptive Democrat nominee is not good IMO.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote:

If she is running as a third party candidate, she will have failed.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

:wub:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

High Fidelity (2000) in case anyone was wondering.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:35 pm High Fidelity (2000) in case anyone was wondering.
I was (though not enough to try and figure it out). Thanks. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

One of the very few movies I owned in a physical format.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I actually read the frickin' book. Saw the movie too.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »