[Chip Theory Games] The Elder Scrolls: Betrayal of the Second Era

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

[Chip Theory Games] The Elder Scrolls: Betrayal of the Second Era

Post by Smoove_B »

As promised, they have finally published some information. Do you like the Elder Scrolls? Do you also like Neoprene? Good news!

Betrayal of the Second Era is a 1-4 player cooperative tabletop adventure from Chip Theory Games, developed in partnership with ZeniMax Online Studios and Bethesda Game Studios. The game is coming to Gamefound in Fall 2022. Gamers can expect a lavish production, full of the beautiful stitched mats, custom dice, heavy chips and PVC cards Chip Theory Games is known for.

Like the video games, players can expect a mix of exploration, character building, delving into dungeons and combat. The tabletop combat and character creation systems in the game are heavily inspired by Chip Theory’s award winning title, Too Many Bones. Each adventure in the game takes place over the course of three gameplay sessions, with sessions being roughly one hour per player in length. Players will customize and control a single hero throughout all three sessions of an adventure as they manage multiple skill lines, classes and experience the many regions of Tamriel, each with their own unique flavor and mechanics.

The game features a heavy emphasis on character building. Experience points are handed out generously, allowing players to build interesting and unique characters in the consolidated timespan required in a tabletop experience. You’ll keep your character for three total play sessions. Game session to game session progression is meaningful, but players are not required to remember complex narrative points or play with the same group forever.

Betrayal of the Second Era is set during the events of the Planemeld, as the Order of the Black Worm plots to secure the Amulet of Kings. As the dark cult schemes, however, one of their members is planning an even darker betrayal, one that will tie Tamriel in with Oblivion forever. Adventurers will uncover her machinations amid a bevy of endlessly replayable content. We can't wait to share more with you throughout 2022!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Re: [Chip Theory Games] The Elder Scrolls: Betrayal of the Second Era

Post by YellowKing »

My perception from watching that is that it's going to borrow heavily from Too Many Bones mechanically, but with a greater emphasis on character customization and narrative. Which I'm perfectly fine with.

I love TMB, but my one complaint is that I often feel that just pumping up basic attack dice is easier/more beneficial than unlocking skills (caveat: I only own the base game, so that may be addressed with additional content). If this addresses that with a greater emphasis on character customization, I'm very intrigued.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I may pick it up at a convention, but for now I need to stop backing kickstarters as much as I have.* Especially in light of the current shipping crisis.

*With the exception of Assault on Doomrock
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:54 pm for now I need to stop backing kickstarters
Suuuure.
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:54 pm as much as I have.
There we go.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Launching in March of 2023, but the Gamfound page is published for preview.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:25 pm Launching in March of 2023, but the Gamfound page is published for preview.
Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, individual map tiles....customizable character sheets in neoprene. I had thought I would be able to avoid this, but now I'm not so sure.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel as if I should sell all my TMB stuff and back this, as the art is much cooler. But man, I’ve already sunk so much into TMB. :oops:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:02 pm I feel as if I should sell all my TMB stuff and back this, as the art is much cooler. But man, I’ve already sunk so much into TMB. :oops:
Check your email - it's like they're specifically targeting you.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Christ, at this point I'm invited to their homes for their kids' birthday parties.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:02 pm I feel as if I should sell all my TMB stuff and back this, as the art is much cooler. But man, I’ve already sunk so much into TMB. :oops:
There was an option a while ago to pay like $800 in one of their KS and it would get you the core boxes of every other KS they offered. I think that might have ended up being a good deal.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I have little doubt I'll be all in on this one. I'm all in on Hoplomachus Remastered/Victorum and the 2nd printing of Burncycle, so why stop now?

Seriously though, I don't mind paying a premium price for a premium product. CTG has never let me down so far, and I'll keep giving them my business as long as they keep delivering.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh boy - prepare your wallets.

Base game MSRP of $195
All Gameplay Bundle for $230
Stretch Pay installment payments will be available. Stretch Pay will take your total pledge and stretch it out over 10 monthly installment payments.
As has always been the case with CTG, there's no crowdfunded exclusives - whatever they "unlock" through crowdfunding will be part of every retail copy. Really, you're getting a discounted preorder by participating here.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:55 pm Oh boy - prepare your wallets.
Base game MSRP of $195
Stretch Pay installment payments will be available. Stretch Pay will take your total pledge and stretch it out over 10 monthly installment payments.
As has always been the case with CTG, there's no crowdfunded exclusives - whatever they "unlock" through crowdfunding will be part of every retail copy. Really, you're getting a discounted preorder by participating here.

I'm a huge CTG fan, but sticker shock is hitting me hard. I keep chanting to myself "Free shipping . . . free shipping". :shock:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:55 pm
Base game MSRP of $195
I don't know what they think they're selling, at least from the intensely overproduced promo material they've shown so far. What they've shown does not look like a $230 board game.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unfortunately this is where the industry is going. A few years ago, a hundred bucks was outrageous for these games. Now we often see that amount as a bargain. CTG has always been a little more money though because they’re a boutique shop making games you can probably pass down to your grand kids (seriously, after a nuclear war there will be two things left: cockroaches and all the cards from CTG games). We don’t know yet what the game will include as that teaser video is basically just that, a teaser. But I’m sure it will have quite a bit.

That being said, I probably won’t back this. But I will probably buy at least the base game from their booth at Gencon after some reviews start rolling in.

One side note. CTG has crazy good customer service. And they routinely issue free updates to their prior games via kickstarters for other games. I appreciate the fact that I bought Too Many Bones years ago, and it’s had almost every card replaced free of charge just because the type set on the first two editions was a bit too small to read comfortably.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's still quite likely I'll back it (hellooooo Stretch Pay), because I'm a sucker for all things Chip Theory. They're really going to have to let me down on the gameplay for me to not consider it.

That said, I'm still playing Hoplomachus Remastered/Victorum, and have Burncycle and 20 Strong backed. On paper, I REALLY don't need more CTG in my life. But of course logic doesn't apply in board gaming.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m incredibly tempted, but also very gunshy because I feel like I really got burned with my last Skyrim board game purchase (the most recent one).

Yes, I know they’re completely different developers that have nothing to do with each other, but there’s definitely a mental block around Skyrim board games for me now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd be tempted pending an actual look at the actual game (I don't have any tabletop Elder Scrolls games despite my history with them), but they're coming along right after Maladum, which is something I've been putting my Christmas pennies back for, and is going to be a big spend nonetheless.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's up and it's over a a million bucks a few hours after launch, so I guess that's a success. I'll be honest, The Elder Scrolls isn't a draw for me; I don't find the lore even remotely interesting so a game with the Elder Scrolls theme isn't really enticing me as much as I thought it would. Mechanically it might be interesting but I'm probably the weird one that is going to pass simply based on the license/theme.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

A $200 entry price. Wow.

The Elder Scrolls is not a draw for me either and I have yet to play a Chip Theory Game that made me want to keep it in my collection so I am strongly out. I have no doubt it will be a hit with a lot of people though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's also shipped "free" @ $195, which is probably saving somewhere around $30 (total guess). That doesn't change anything for me, but it does clearly show the best deal is always a pre-order through crowdfunding.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Looking at it, I still have a really hard time seeing the $200 worth in the base set, except that the components are the best possible version (the board is a mat with no option for cardboard at a more reasonable price, etc.) As mentioned, it's just boutique. It's the polished ebony gaming table of board games. I usually limited to the grandma's card table of board games.

Wildly expensive fancy board games for wealthy collectors would be awesome if there were other, more affordable Elder Scrolls games out there, but as far as I know, there is this, the stinker, and Modiphius (another high priced, fancy component company.)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I would expect this to be a reskin of a dungeon crawler into the game design sensibility of Chip Theory Games. It’s all about crazy mechanics and tactile feel. I love them but I’m holding out for Arydia (from Xia) in the genre.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You know I’ll be lugging this back from Gencon. So don’t overpack or I’ll toss your suitcase out the window to make room for it.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Despite my initial enthusiasm I think I'm going to hold off for now. I have Burncycle all-in on the way (not to mention other Kickstarters), so a $30 savings isn't enough of an incentive to lay out that much money immediately. I passed on pre-ordering the Final Girl S2 all-in for the same reason - I've got to start being realistic about what I'm actually going to have time to play.

I'm still very much looking forward to gameplay videos and reviews. Chip Theory has never let me down.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:43 am - I've got to start being realistic about what I'm actually going to have time to play.
You and me both, brother. :(

I still haven't even unpacked the last aeon's end expansion....and I got that months ago.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:43 am I've got to start being realistic about what I'm actually going to have time to play.
If you figure it out, could you write a strategy guide?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm not as bad as many, but I still admit I have a problem. My gaming group, for example, keeps a spreadsheet of games "we" own in terms of games that one of the group owns that we actually want to play at some point. I believe we're in a 30 game backlog at the moment, and just started Frosthaven which will take us a minimum 2 years to get through. And various members of the group still have Kickstarters coming in. It's just insanity.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I backed it (of course I did) at the Gameplay level. I did add the premium health chips and the draw bags. I can't justify the game mat... that seems a little over the top. The stretch pay was a nice addition. A good layaway plan to make the large number more manageable.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:38 pm I backed it (of course I did) at the Gameplay level. I did add the premium health chips and the draw bags. I can't justify the game mat... that seems a little over the top. The stretch pay was a nice addition. A good layaway plan to make the large number more manageable.

Stretch pay helped me justify backing this game. And the fact that my wife was suddenly interested, as Skyrim is one of the few video game she ever got into. Gameplay bundle/chips/dice tray.

So yes, I backed . . . for HER, of course. :mrgreen:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, I sold about $300 worth of games over the weekend, so I would - in theory - have enough to back this.

Trying to decide if I want to grab it or drop the $$ on pick up something like Roll Player Adventures (which I've heard incredible feedback about).
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:13 pm So, I sold about $300 worth of games over the weekend, so I would - in theory - have enough to back this.

Trying to decide if I want to grab it or drop the $$ on pick up something like Roll Player Adventures (which I've heard incredible feedback about).
I like Roll Player Adventures fine, but it really depends on what else you have in your collection. I played an adventure or two and found it to be entertaining, but I also found out I was playing it wrong in a substantial way - so I have to restart. That frustrated me, so I sort of quit and haven't gone back. Now that I have ISS Vanguard, I am wondering when I will make it back to Roll Player Adventures. They have VERY similar gameplay and style, but I get drawn in more to the space/sci fi because it is rarer than fantasy.

So if you have ISS Vanguard, you might be better off just sticking with it and pledging for Elder Scrolls.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:13 pm So, I sold about $300 worth of games over the weekend, so I would - in theory - have enough to back this.

Did you sell these on BGG or somewhere else? Possibly looking at moving a few of mine. It seems that the shipping costs plus the price I want for the game would keep anyone from buying them. They might as well order a brand new copy from Amazon if they have Prime.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fardaza wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:11 pm Did you sell these on BGG or somewhere else?
There's a "Utah Boardgame Exchange" group on Facebook that I've used to both buy and sell a ton of games. It's been a lifesaver to get at least something out of these games that are just collecting dust, and to find some games that I wouldn't be able to otherwise (my last pickup with the deluxe edition of Dwellings of Eldervale).
baelthazar wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:54 pm

I like Roll Player Adventures fine, but it really depends on what else you have in your collection. I played an adventure or two and found it to be entertaining, but I also found out I was playing it wrong in a substantial way - so I have to restart. That frustrated me, so I sort of quit and haven't gone back. Now that I have ISS Vanguard, I am wondering when I will make it back to Roll Player Adventures. They have VERY similar gameplay and style, but I get drawn in more to the space/sci fi because it is rarer than fantasy.

So if you have ISS Vanguard, you might be better off just sticking with it and pledging for Elder Scrolls.
I'm generally not big on sci-fi, outside of Star Wars. Watched a playthrough of ISS Vanguard and it didn't seem like my thing at all (it's the one with the big 3-ring binder, right?)