Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:13 pm Well, I know that they added "timed blocks" that have better results. I don't recall it saying you had to push a button. But I was skimming. It was a lot of reading. A LOT!
Yeah, and I'm trying pull out details about a game that I read through the details on the same number of items you did months ago. I likely have the specifics wrong, but I do remember that there was some element other than simple positioning involved in blocking that caused me issues.

I'd kill to take Skyrim VR and add Blade & Sorcery's melee and holster mechanics, plus a native made-for-VR interface.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Better holsters would be nice. There are supposed to be (via VRIK) two on each leg, two on each arm, a stomach one, a chest one, shoulders, and waist.

I can get the forearm ones to work reliably. And the shoulder one works great for the bow. The waist ones are usually okay. But I can only seem to get the chest to work. I think the calf ones work, but they are a pain, so I don't worry about them. But I'd like to try using the new map and compass, but only if I can store them both on my chest/stomach. I use the forearms for a dagger and a torch.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:46 pm Better holsters would be nice. There are supposed to be (via VRIK) two on each leg, two on each arm, a stomach one, a chest one, shoulders, and waist.

I can get the forearm ones to work reliably. And the shoulder one works great for the bow. The waist ones are usually okay. But I can only seem to get the chest to work. I think the calf ones work, but they are a pain, so I don't worry about them. But I'd like to try using the new map and compass, but only if I can store them both on my chest/stomach. I use the forearms for a dagger and a torch.
It took some time for me to get used to it. What helped me was to go into the settings and crank the haptics way, way up on the slots, then increase their size a little (I'm a little larger than average, and it doesn't take that into account - I couldn't store things on my hips because the activators were inside my... um... massive side abdominal muscles. Yeah.) Once you get the hang of where to reach, you can turn the haptics back down so that you're not always feeling 'tap tap tap' as you move around. One thing to note is that some slots are restricted as to what can be placed in them. That can also be changed in the settings, and I believe the map counts as a dagger.

And once you get something into the holster, you can, instead of drawing it, simply grip it for a few seconds and it unlocks the holster itself. You can move it wherever you want it, then let go and it will permanently move the holster there. I used that to get the swords into a more comfortable position for cross draw.

I put the bow on my chest (I think), turned so that it was at an angle (as if I were wearing it across my chest/back at an angle, similar to the way I used to carry a bow when hiking in real life.) It could have been my shoulder - I don't recall, but it was positioned across my chest so that I could simply reach down to my sternum to grab it. My compass was on my right wrist, my dagger on my left wrist. The map went in my boot, the got moved up enough that I could just reach down for it without having to bend completely over. That left my shoulders free for the quiver on one side, and a shield on the other (before I realized that I disliked the shields.) I left the torch in the custom rotary menu deal.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yeah, I've done all of that. Though maybe I need to turn the haptics up more. :D

I suspect that part of the problem is with the VRIK settings. I did discover that if I reached my hand through my stomach, that I found the haptic point about 6 inches behind my spine.

I think I need to try fiddling with head/body offsets a bit more.

Also, I've moved the shoulder one around a bit in the past, but I never thought about doing it with the waist ones. That might help a lot. For some reason it always wants to put them way back (again, possibly due to the way the head offset is set up).

And of course, once I figure any of this out, I'll probably have to do the same for gilraen. Since none of those settings carry across profiles. :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Man, Boneworks. I'm just not getting it. It's really, really well reviewed and widely loved, but... I just don't get it. It's a physics based shooter that's clearly inspired by Half-Life, but with the physics puzzles being about 90% of the actual gameplay. Which is fine. And there isn't really any story - you're just in a totally abstract place which they kind of hint is an unfriendly VR operating system - think GladOS running VR, but without an actual 'character' to represent her. But the lack of story isn't a deal-breaker.

What bugs me is that (first off), a huge portion of the purpose is built around finding hidden unlockables, which you then take to a 'reclamation bin' at the end of the level and throw in to fully 'unlock.' That's fine, except for a few things:

1. So far, many of the well-hidden items require either climbing to obscure locations (requiring you to climb every pipe, beam, and box you see to check for things), or they're behind physics puzzles that are excessively abstract and end up with solutions that feel like old-school adventure games ("Use banana on balloon. Use balloon on doorknob".)

2. You get a pile of these things, but only five inventory slots, which are shared with weapons and color-coded keys. So even if you only carry one melee weapon and one gun, you're down to three slots to carry items. Any more and you're stuck carrying one in each hand, setting them down to do anything, then picking them up, over and over. I looked for advice on this online, and found that the usual suggestion was to grab a garbage can or milk crate to put all of the items in. Now you can carry more, but you still have to set it down, pick it up, set it down, pick it up - constantly. It's tedious. Anyone do the Gnome Chomski achievement in HL2: Episode 2 where you had to take a garden gnome from the very beginning and carry it with you all the way through to the end? It is like that. Except with physics.

3. You're carrying this can full of items with you as you progress. And progress is through physics puzzles. You're carrying a box of loose items while trying to run and jump, climb, etc. Loose items with physics that bounce around. And you're carrying them in a container that blocks half of your field of view and gets caught on effing everything. And should you be traversing a series of narrow beams and you fall? Or suddenly need your hands? Now you get to climb down, run around collecting all of your items, putting them back in your trash can and starting over. Again, it feels tedious - unnecessary busywork that mostly just detracts from what could be fun if you simply unlocked them upon finding them. It would have been so much more fun if I could just concentrate on the puzzles and not on lugging piles of stuff around.

4. The reclamation bins that you use to unlock items are only located at the end of each level, and the levels so far are huge. Right now, I've played for four hours, and outside of the tutorial I have seen exactly zero. ,And along the way, there are far, far too few save points. I went through several rooms today, and really just needed to stop. It was getting hot, my back was aching, and it was time to get other things done. Family needed things. I needed to stop. I could see the next save point on the other side of a really tricky puzzle. I could get to it, no problem - but I couldn't get my stuff across (and you have to get your stuff across to have it included in your save.) I tried, over and over, and finally - after far too long spent falling off, picking my crap up, and starting over repeatedly, I finally just had to quit and lose all of my progress. And my desire to repeat the process is roughly zero.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

That... that doesn't sound like much fun.

I think I'll just play Into The Radius again. :wink:

Black Lives Matter

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:24 pm Man, Boneworks. I'm just not getting it. It's really, really well reviewed and widely loved, but... I just don't get it.
I’m just jealous that you are able to play it… That is the only VR game that ever made me sick. So much so that I have never gone back to it. I played through like the first two hours and didn’t feel off until I took the headset off. I immediately felt like I was going to throw up. Was bad enough that I laid down on the floor for like 20 minutes. :cry:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:27 pm That... that doesn't sound like much fun.
That's the thing - according to most, it is. I just can't figure out where the fun part is.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I've discovered that I really need/want a story. I have a few shooting "games" that have virtually no story. And while I didn't hate them, I just don't feel like firing them up most of the time. Maybe playing co-op would be more fun. Not sure.

But I'm much happier diving into ITR, Skyrim, or Fallout.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's surprisingly difficult to find VR action games with a strong story. Strong story games, sure. Good action games, sure. But the two together? VR game development really reminds me of the late 90s/2000s in PC game development.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Probably why I've run through ITR twice now.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's been on my wishlist for a while now. I'm hoping it is part of the Steam sale that is supposed to start... Is it tomorrow?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nope, Thursday.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:19 pm Probably why I've run through ITR twice now.
What is ITR?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

gbasden wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:58 pm
TheMix wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:19 pm Probably why I've run through ITR twice now.
What is ITR?
Into The Radius. I typed the whole thing out the first time, but I probably should have noted the abbreviation. Sorry. I know how annoying that can be.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The ITR gameplay I've seen reminds me a lot of the Stalker series (although it isn't a carbon copy - they seem to take it in a different direction.)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It definitely has the same feel. Which is probably why I like it.

Black Lives Matter

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Spent 45 minutes at the local VR Studio with the kids. Rather than watching, I played too. Elven Assassin and Beat Saber. I’m not used to flailing around so much, and kept slipping with my left hand. I was quite tired afterwards.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Anyone have any favorites from the Crystal VR Collection build your own bundle?

I think the only one I have is Racket: NX.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oddly enough, they just released a Quest 2 native version of ITR (I'd likely still go with the Steam version, just because sales are a thing on Steam.)

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hrothgar wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:51 pm Anyone have any favorites from the Crystal VR Collection build your own bundle?

I think the only one I have is Racket: NX.

I can tell you about a few, and comment on some of those that are well-regarded (although I don't generally 'recommend' them unless I've played them personally.)

Karnage Chronicles is supposed to be a fun action-RPG that got a lot of good reviews.

Contractors (along with Onward) is the 'go to' VR multiplayer competitive shooter, although I understand it is fun with bots, too.

Zero Caliber I've played, and I enjoyed quite a bit, but it does have a few issues. I'm glad I played it, personally, but it's... quirky at times. It was released on the Quest 2 directly as Zero Caliber: Reloaded, and I understand that it's got quite a few improvements. The devs are in the process of porting the Quest 2 version back to Steam (they use completely different engines), and once they do so they'll be able to improve the two versions in tandem. If you're desperate for a military style single player campaign, go ahead and get it. If it's appealing, but not an immediate desire, get it (or play it) after the upgrade is finished.

Doom VFR was well-liked, although not considered perfect.

Wolfenstein got a lot of criticism for being extremely short and having control issues, although I understand it's fun for the hour you get out of it.

The Morrigan got good reviews, and I played a couple of hours worth. I was having a lot of fun with it, and I am looking forward to getting back to it. It's an action/adventure game with archery and sword fighting, but with intentionally stylized blocky graphics (which I thought worked well.)

OhShape was one of the experiments into movement games for VR. I've got it, and it's... OK. You stand in various poses matching holes in walls that zip toward you, effectively 'dancing' to the music, but like I said, it was just OK. Synth Riders and Audio Trip are better.

Those are the ones I have direct knowledge of. I hope it helps.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, The Invisible Hours. I've heard of that one, too, now that I see what it is. Fair warning, it's not interactive. It's a murder mystery, but you can 'observe' any character you choose, and you only get the full story when seeing all of them. I've heard it's really interesting if you'd be into that sort of thing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:16 pm Zero Caliber I've played, and I enjoyed quite a bit, but it does have a few issues. I'm glad I played it, personally, but it's... quirky at times. It was released on the Quest 2 directly as Zero Caliber: Reloaded, and I understand that it's got quite a few improvements. The devs are in the process of porting the Quest 2 version back to Steam (they use completely different engines), and once they do so they'll be able to improve the two versions in tandem. If you're desperate for a military style single player campaign, go ahead and get it. If it's appealing, but not an immediate desire, get it (or play it) after the upgrade is finished.
I just read an update from the dev dated four days ago that says that they're working on the actual patch for this fall.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

TheMix wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:10 pm
gbasden wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:58 pm
What is ITR?
Into The Radius. I typed the whole thing out the first time, but I probably should have noted the abbreviation. Sorry. I know how annoying that can be.
Sorry! I went back to look and just missed it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I found this overview of what's around and what's coming to be really informative. I even discovered a few things had VR mods that I wasn't aware of.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Tentacular is a VR game from Devolver Digital about a gentle giant
Devolver Digital and VR are a combination I’m curious to check out, and the publisher is stepping back into the Immersion Zone with a new game that puts you in control of a giant creature with big, meaty tentacles. But instead of rampaging, in Firepunchd Games’ Tentacular, you’re a gentle giant. It’s a pleasant game about a cozy island, in fact.

You’ll see the world through the eyes of a towering creature, but what do you, like, actually do? There’s “action” and “construction” gameplay, so it’s a smidge sim-y, which isn’t necessarily what I was expecting at first given the premise and presentation. But it works! As for the story, there’s a reason the Great Tentacled One isn’t out to get people.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Meta raising Quest 2 prices $100 on 8/1, if you were thinking about grabbing one, now is the time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Seems like an odd choice. I see them on the shelves all the time, so ya good luck with that. :P
Last edited by Octavious on Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I forgot that now it will include Beat Saber, yay?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finally upgraded to a Quest 2 and an aftermarket head strap with battery. I pretty much bought it to play Asgard's Wrath, which I find... uninspiring. On the plus side Beat Saber still looks good which is pretty much the only game I have actually enjoyed in VR so there's that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That's pretty much all my daughter uses hers for. So ya I don't see me buying another VR headset anytime soon. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My 12yo uses ours a lot and plays lots of games on it, so at least he is getting some use out of it.

They added a Billie Eilish pack for Beat Saber and I'm a big fan so I enjoy that. One day I will try Vader Immortal. I picked it up when it was super cheap and the 12yo loved it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

This looks like it would be fun to try.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
naednek

Post by naednek »

My brother brought his Oculus Rift over last weekend and I got to experience VR for the first time. I always thought it was a gimmick, but after trying that star wars game I was really impressed. He forgot the glass attachment so parts of it was blurry for me, but it was crazy how it just sucks you in to their world.

The star wars game could do better giving instructions. I was yelling at the robot a few times for not being clear :D
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

naednek wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:56 pm My brother brought his Oculus Rift over last weekend and I got to experience VR for the first time. I always thought it was a gimmick, but after trying that star wars game I was really impressed.
I still remember having the same thought - that it was just going to be a fun trick, something like watching a 3d movie. And I remember the first time I turned it on and was suddenly in the location as if I were actually standing there, and it completely blew me away.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Once a VR true believer, a “wearied” John Carmack leaves Meta
After nearly ten years, John Carmack's time helping to guide VR hardware efforts at Meta (and at Facebook/Oculus before that) have come to a close. The id Software co-founder and Doom co-creator officially left Meta on Friday night, according to an internal company memo obtained by Insider and confirmed by the New York Times.

Carmack's departure message serves as a scathing indictment of crippling inefficiency at Meta that he said he was "offended by" and which he compared to a GPU with a measly five percent utilization rate. "We have a ridiculous amount of people and resources, but we constantly self-sabotage and squander effort. There is no way to sugar coat this," he wrote. "I think our organization is operating at half the effectiveness that would make me happy."

More personally, Carmack complained that it has been a "struggle" for him to influence Meta's overall direction and that he's "wearied of the fight." Despite his high-ranking "consulting CTO / executive advisor" title, Carmack complained that he is "evidently not persuasive enough" to change Meta's VR efforts for the better.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've read a couple of articles on that. He's still a true believer - he's just sick of trying to design games and tech for/with Facebook. Er, Meta. He wants to design for the experience, or for entertainment, not to manipulate and exploit people more effectively.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

The really shpuld mak a Bob Ross version of this. Something where you can paint along with his instructions without having to go buy paint supplies.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How bout some new augmented reality looks. BTW Apple has a new one.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"