CIV VI complete VS CIV V Complete: Face off!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

How much better is Civ VI than Civ V? (Complete)

Zero percent better, V was the Civ pinnacle and will probably never be topped.
36%
Slightly better
7%
About the same
29%
Much better
21%
OMGZ!@ ALL THE BETTTAR!
7%

Total votes: 14

Carpet_pissr

CIV VI complete VS CIV V Complete: Face off!

Post by Carpet_pissr »

No context, just VOTE! (Complete (in this poll at least) means all the expansions)

Fuck it, I can't do that. I like to talk/write too much for that bullshit.

So I FINALLY got around to playing local multiplayer Civ V with my son recently, and just having a blast. We both love the game, and I will always have fond memories of when he was but a wee wanker, sitting on my lap, helping me make decisions while I played (this was a few years ago - he's currently 11). I would always ask him what he wanted to do, and I would control the mouse. Kid learned a lot about historical figures, civilizations, and especially Wonders (that was his favorite).

But I also feel the need to give VI more than just the cursory try I gave it when I first bought it (and promptly went back to V), so have been playing a little bit lately, but still not loving it (as much). I am determined though, to give it more than just a college try, such is my love and respect for the series. I know there are some crazy VI diehards on here, but wondering if anyone still prefers V, after having played both.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheMix

Re: CIV VI COMPLETE VS CIV V COMPLETE: POLL OFF!

Post by TheMix »

No option for me. :(

I haven't played VI. And I don't have all the DLC for V. So... yeah, I got nuthin'.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TheMix wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:03 pm No option for me. :(

I haven't played VI. And I don't have all the DLC for V. So... yeah, I got nuthin'.
And yet you still voted. Damn you. :P
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:13 pm
TheMix wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:03 pm No option for me. :(

And yet you still voted. Damn you. :P
Nope. Not me. Someone else must have voted and just not added a comment.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Civ IV seems to have all the best mods... Dune in particular.

Has that been ported?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
dfs

Post by dfs »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:15 pm Civ IV seems to have all the best mods... Dune in particular.
This. If you're gonna crown a civ as the best civ then I think IV is the obvious choice. Fall From Heaven/Colonization/Dune just aren't there in V or VI.
Carpet_pissr

Re: CIV VI complete VS CIV V Complete: Face off!

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Crowning ‘The Best Civ’ is outside of the scope of this poll
(But the beefy religion in V trumps IV!)
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have over 7000 hours in Civ5. I have over 1000 hours in Civ 6.
I like them both but nothing ever dominated my playing like Civ 5.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

dfs wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:55 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:15 pm Civ IV seems to have all the best mods... Dune in particular.
This. If you're gonna crown a civ as the best civ then I think IV is the obvious choice. Fall From Heaven/Colonization/Dune just aren't there in V or VI.
I agree. Civ IV took my life for a while there. CIV V was good, but maybe it's just where I was in life, I wasn't consumed. I don't think I've tried more than a cursory game of VI - all due to life stuff though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

If anyone needs me to weigh in on the merits of Civ 1 through 3, just let me know.
Black Lives Matter.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

IMO, the Complete Edition of Civ 5 combined with the much-improved AI of the Vox Populi Community Patch provides for a deeper, more satisfying overall experience in comparison to Civ 6. I always found playing Vox Populi felt more akin to moving through history and more immersive as a result, while Civ 6 ends up feeling more gamelike with its brain-dead AI.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:07 am If anyone needs me to weigh in on the merits of Civ 1 through 3, just let me know.
/raises hand
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I probably have 1000 hours in Civ 3 too. Have it on Steam and about 4 other hard copies.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I have to vote for Civ V by default, because Civ VI became very crashy (no mods, just the base game + DLC) for me at some point and I eventually just gave up on sorting it out.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:41 pm So I FINALLY got around to playing local multiplayer Civ V with my son recently, and just having a blast. We both love the game, and I will always have fond memories of when he was but a wee wanker, sitting on my lap, helping me make decisions while I played (this was a few years ago - he's currently 11).
BTW, I realise most Americans are perhaps unfamiliar with the masturbatory origins of that term, but suffice to say…

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't think wanker is all that mysterious a term to Americans. C_p may be a special case here.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:15 am I don't think wanker is all that mysterious a term to Americans. C_p may be a special case here.
Nope fully aware. Used it anyway. Is it being suggested that curse words are that literal?

Asshole/arsehole?

If I’d said ‘when he was but a wee turd’ would someone have called me out on calling my son a piece of fecal matter? I call bullshit (figuratively, of course). :P
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:24 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:15 am I don't think wanker is all that mysterious a term to Americans. C_p may be a special case here.
Nope fully aware. Used it anyway. Is it being suggested that curse words are that literal?

Asshole/arsehole?

If I’d said ‘when he was but a wee turd’ would someone have called me out on calling my son a piece of fecal matter? I call bullshit (figuratively, of course). :P
I mean, you could call your hypothetical daughter a carpet muncher , but we’d be right to wonder if you really meant it.

There are a few slang terms that feel off when applied to a child by their parent.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:06 am
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:24 pm

Asshole/arsehole?

I mean, you could call your hypothetical daughter a carpet muncher , but we’d be right to wonder if you really meant it.

There are a few slang terms that feel off when applied to a child by their parent.
I hear ya, just disagree in this case. I guess there’s no way to prove what people REALLY mean when they say something like ‘Ya little wanker!’ but I strongly suspect it’s not literally thinking of someone that masturbates, but more of a generic, friendly (depending on context) slur. I’ll bring up the asshole/arsehole point again. Dickhead. I think VERY few people use these terms literally.

Also, I can’t believe my beautiful, innocent Civ poll thread has devolved into this. :( and :P
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:D
Yeah. I don’t mean to be ‘condemning’ really.
I get it.

I just assume you’re the wanker, and that your kid is obviously just a little wanker for that reason. :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:50 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:07 am If anyone needs me to weigh in on the merits of Civ 1 through 3, just let me know.
/raises hand
It is funny, looking at it again...I barely remember Civ 3. Like I know that I played it, but it's really not ringing many bells. I spent an unbelievable amount of time in middle school playing Civ 1, of which I mainly remember that despotism was by far the best form of government which made it really easy to crank out crazy numbers of units (to the point where the game would tell me that I couldn't build more), and usually I conquered the world before I got technology past the catapult (sometimes I would get to cannons before the game ended).

Civ 2 was definitely much more sophisticated and actually introduced different forms of governments that it made sense to use.

But really, at the end of the day the best Civ is Alpha Centauri.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Because I can't find the original Civ V thread, I'll just throw this in here:

So playing Civ V again lately, and got to the point where I could easily win on Empreror. So I thought "OK, time to move up to "Immortal".

Wow, what a difference! I've played enough to know when I have lost before I have really even gotten very far into it. The interesting thing (I think), is that even with Emperor, you could pretty much play whatever style you wanted to, and if you know the game well enough you can pull out a win pretty easily.

I think the difference between Emperor and Immortal is that you can no longer do that. It's like you HAVE to adapt to whatever is thrown at you and play a very certain strategy according to your Civ and start. At least that's what it seems like as of now, bc I have not been able to win yet. :D Just gettng curb-stomped because I ALWAYS let the game choose the Civ that I play, and pretty much try to let as much as possible get randomized.

Guess I need to read up on "how to play X Civ" on Immortal, or just get really lucky with whatever strat I decide to pursue. Hell, the thing I loved about Emperor is that I didn't even NEED to decide on a particular strategy...I could just play however I wanted and then decide very late game how to win.

Edit: Just came across this, as kind of a guide to playing on Immortal (and why you should compared to other levels) - awesome!
https://imgur.com/a/3moJQ
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't have either complete but Steam suggests that at 491 hours in 2017 when I gave up due to crash bugs while playing as Japan (and I remember the distinctly) while achievement hunting saw me quit and never return to the game. That volume of playing would suggest that I would have enjoyed VI more than V, which saw less than 100 hours of play time. But no vote from me.

If given all the marbles, I would also vote for SMAC.