Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Octavious »

I remember Christie in NJ loved to tout state rights, but when it came to legalizing weed.. Oh nooooo that's not cool. For me at least he was the start of the bully politics. I used to live in fear that he would somehow get into office. Little did I know what was coming later.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I truly thought that clip was going to be somewhat misrepresentative, and I was most of the way through it thinking, "Ok, Braun's not specifically saying interracial marriage should be left up to the states, they're just extrapolating the caller's example." And then he specifically said it. :doh:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:21 pm And yet they want a federal ban on abortion.
I'm sure they wouldn't object to a federal ban on inter-racial marriage.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So easy: ‘Team Trump Goes Limp on Immigration’
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:09 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:05 pm
Grifman wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:26 pm Clarence Thomas, do you hear this?

Well I imagine if it ever does come to that day and he finds himself in a position where he needs to, he could just move to a state where it’s made illegal.
Even if you found some cretins who agreed with this, where do you draw the lines? Do they expect genetic testing at the marriage license windows. And what percent is acceptable?
Did you, of all people, miss the punch line there.

I painstakingly placed it at the very end.

Yeesh
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What, if he married a black person by accident?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ok….
I’m not sure any more if you are aware of exactly who it is that we are taking about and who it is that he is married to?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I know of Clarence Thomas, I have no idea who this asswipe is.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Clayton Bigsby?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:53 pm I know of Clarence Thomas, I have no idea who this asswipe is.
The premise is that CT is totally OK with the over-turning of R v. W - and that this is linked to that... The joke is that CT is OKI with that, because he doesn't want to be married to his whit wife.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe he is trying to to kill the GOP?

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) responds to Republicans criticizing him for proposing a nationwide 15-week abortion ban right before an election:

“We owe it to the American people to tell them who we are, and here’s who we are as a national party.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:34 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:53 pm I know of Clarence Thomas, I have no idea who this asswipe is.
The premise is that CT is totally OK with the over-turning of R v. W - and that this is linked to that... The joke is that CT is OKI with that, because he doesn't want to be married to his white wife.
Have you seen her?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

What are you missing?

Started with this exchange:

Grifman saying: "I wonder if CT has considered that his marriage could be ended".
I joked "Maybe that's his goal".
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Man, Graham’s wig gets bigger every time I see him. I feel like he’s going for 14 year old Justin Bieber now.
Covfefe!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:34 pm I truly thought that clip was going to be somewhat misrepresentative, and I was most of the way through it thinking, "Ok, Braun's not specifically saying interracial marriage should be left up to the states, they're just extrapolating the caller's example." And then he specifically said it. :doh:
If nothing else, I do no appreciate his attempt to at least be somewhat consistent.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

NYT Opinions is painting a VERY VERY scary future in November. GOP has infiltrated EVERY LEVEL of the voting process from local to national, and they are going to abuse the "voter challenge" system for every SUSPECTED piece of voter fraud they see. Voting will slow to a crawl... in mainly democrat precincts. These poll workers have been TRAINED by GOP schools to LOOK for fraud, and they will "find" plenty.

GOP also went after Secretary of State jobs in many swing states... and that's the person who certify that state's results. We all know that Nevada's SecState, despite being a GOP member, stuck to the truth: Trump lost. Trump had straight out ASKED him to find extra votes, i.e. cheat for him.

Imagine people who believed the election is stolen are there to make sure it never happens again.

Given that 71% of GOP believe there was fraud in 2020 election, this will be absolute chaos.

And it is VERY VERY scary indeed.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:54 am NYT Opinions is painting a VERY VERY scary future in November. GOP has infiltrated EVERY LEVEL of the voting process from local to national, and they are going to abuse the "voter challenge" system for every SUSPECTED piece of voter fraud they see. Voting will slow to a crawl... in mainly democrat precincts. These poll workers have been TRAINED by GOP schools to LOOK for fraud, and they will "find" plenty.

GOP also went after Secretary of State jobs in many swing states... and that's the person who certify that state's results. We all know that Nevada's SecState, despite being a GOP member, stuck to the truth: Trump lost. Trump had straight out ASKED him to find extra votes, i.e. cheat for him.

Imagine people who believed the election is stolen are there to make sure it never happens again.

Given that 71% of GOP believe there was fraud in 2020 election, this will be absolute chaos.

And it is VERY VERY scary indeed.
Good morning.
Yeah, where have ya been? This is all we talk about here.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Especially here where the GOP has been trying to throw out my vote for years, had two and only member of the GOP save our election in 2020, had the douche General Paxton try to intervene afterward, and now we have QANON trying for Gov, SoS, and AG; and it all just rolls off as we approach November of this year.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Listening to the business news this morning....

2015 you can't print money forever and get away with it
2017 None dare call it QE
2022 you can't print money forever and get away with it

Funny thing is I concur with "you can't print money forever and get away with it" and we should have cut back in 2015, but you had four years to fix the problem and you print more money than was being print 2009/2010 when it was needed to right the ship.

TV off.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:44 am Listening to the business news this morning....

2015 you can't print money forever and get away with it
2017 None dare call it QE
2022 you can't print money forever and get away with it

Funny thing is I concur with "you can't print money forever and get away with it" and we should have cut back in 2015, but you had four years to fix the problem and you print more money than was being print 2009/2010 when it was needed to right the ship.
I can't unpack all this right now but the main problem is that the guys on tv are yelling whatever gets them eyeballs. It has nothing to do with sound economic theory or even any provable accountability that shows how often their predictions were right (hint: it's probably almost never).

The loudest 'you can't print money forever' types have been saying that well before 2015. There has been a set of these cranks bouncing around since the end of the gold standard. They have no models. They have no accountable track record. They have their guts and by god are they are going with them. Turning the tv off is the best option. They generally provide absolutely no predictive insights.

The bottom line is most economic reporting is almost all backwards looking and constantly being sledgehammered into whatever established worldview the editorial leadership wants to push. This is why the only way to get actual good information is to read quality sources like The Economist which don't treat with this pop-economic science approach.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Saying it out loud:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

The latest Deep State Radio podcast is an interview with David Corn, whose recent book explores the GOP's embrace of right-wing conspiracy theories from the 1950s to today. Briefly, the GOP (even in its supposedly genteel Eisenhower and Rockefeller eras) has always found it necessary to accept and even nurture far-right kooks, from the John Birch Society to the Moral Majority to the Tea Party and now to QAnon.

So-called "mainstream" Republicans have always found it necessary to let the conspiracists have their portion of the party. And rather than containment, the story is one of growing influence and now complete takeover.

In short, Trump didn't make right-wing crazy happen. Right-wing crazy made Trump happen.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:13 am
I’d be curious which country they’re from as there are some truly over the top extremists in some European governments. I’m not downplaying how shitty some of our home grown extremists have become over the last few years, but there are some really heinous people in power in some European countries.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not any storming their own castle though, so to speak.

Also, ‘European’ is way too vague here. EU? Turkey? Russia?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Italy?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/25/europe/i ... index.html
Brothers of Italy leader Giorgia Meloni has claimed victory in a general election that seems set to install her as Italy’s first female prime minister, leading the most far-right government since the fascist era of Benito Mussolini.
Meloni entered Italy’s crowded political scene in 2006 and co-founded the Brothers of Italy in 2012, a party whose agenda is rooted in Euroskepticism and anti-immigration policies.
A 45-year-old mother from Rome, Meloni is deeply conservative, openly anti-LBGT, and has threatened to place same sex unions, which were legalized in Italy in 2016, under review. She has also called abortion a “tragedy,” raising fears for the future of women’s rights in the country.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I read a long piece about the potential impacts of the Italian election and it sounded more like a Berlusconi 2.0 than Mussolini 2.0. The post-WW2 fascists are looking like they won a plurality but they need center-right/centrist parties to get a parliamentary majority. The shake out is that the PM is going to be an extremist but the government is probably going to be restrained for the near-term.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:02 am The shake out is that the PM is going to be an extremist but the government is probably going to be restrained for the near-term.
Piccoli passi
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:02 am I read a long piece about the potential impacts of the Italian election and it sounded more like a Berlusconi 2.0 than Mussolini 2.0. The post-WW2 fascists are looking like they won a plurality but they need center-right/centrist parties to get a parliamentary majority. The shake out is that the PM is going to be an extremist but the government is probably going to be restrained for the near-term.
Yep. Being dependent on EU funding is a helluva drug. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dr. Oz really isn't built for politics in the heartland...or anywhere, I'm betting. :lol:

Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Have we ruled out that Oz is really a Fetterman plant? It's like he's working overtime to get him elected.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Paxton literally flees from a process server:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:57 am Have we ruled out that Oz is really a Fetterman plant? It's like he's working overtime to get him elected.
I mean, to go even further, have we ever saw Fetterman and Oz in the same room?
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:19 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:57 am Have we ruled out that Oz is really a Fetterman plant? It's like he's working overtime to get him elected.
I mean, to go even further, have we ever saw Fetterman and Oz in the same room?
Fetterman is like Oz's hulk? He appears when Oz takes the stick out of his ass?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fetterman was bitten by a Crudités chef when he was younger. Ever since then, when the moon is full...or someone turns off the sports channel at home..he turns into Dr. Oz. Oprah discovered this years ago and decided to give this Weregoof a show.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I replied to that post by texting "Oz is campaigning for Fetterman now??"

I've got 1,000 likes. That's never happened to me before.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:24 am Italy?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/25/europe/i ... index.html
Brothers of Italy leader Giorgia Meloni has claimed victory in a general election that seems set to install her as Italy’s first female prime minister, leading the most far-right government since the fascist era of Benito Mussolini.
Meloni entered Italy’s crowded political scene in 2006 and co-founded the Brothers of Italy in 2012, a party whose agenda is rooted in Euroskepticism and anti-immigration policies.
A 45-year-old mother from Rome, Meloni is deeply conservative, openly anti-LBGT, and has threatened to place same sex unions, which were legalized in Italy in 2016, under review. She has also called abortion a “tragedy,” raising fears for the future of women’s rights in the country.
Black Lives Matter.