Marijuana

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Marijuana

Post by dbt1949 »

I was watching the news today and they reported that they're going to have it's legalization (for recreation) on the ballot this year. And of course the first commercial I saw after that was against that. But that's not what this is about.
Assuming it gets legalized I want to know how to fix" it. Now I'm not going to smoke it but if I use it it will be in food.
So do I grind it all up? How? Then do I just sprinkle it in the brownie/cake mix? Does it affect cooking time? Or do I sprinkle it on after cooking?
I'd like to hear some of your guys ideas.
Is this thread even OO acceptable? :naughty:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Re: Marijuana

Post by Daehawk »

If they ever legalize it here, which they wont, Id sprinkle it on pizza....kill 2 birds with 1 pie.....so to speak
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:44 pm I was watching the news today and they reported that they're going to have it's legalization (for recreation) on the ballot this year. And of course the first commercial I saw after that was against that. But that's not what this is about.
Assuming it gets legalized I want to know how to fix" it. Now I'm not going to smoke it but if I use it it will be in food.
So do I grind it all up? How? Then do I just sprinkle it in the brownie/cake mix? Does it affect cooking time? Or do I sprinkle it on after cooking?
I'd like to hear some of your guys ideas.
Is this thread even OO acceptable? :naughty:
The thread is certainly OO acceptable.

The quick answer to your question is basically this:

You will be able to buy 'edibles' - which will likely come in the form of chocolates or gummy-bear-like products. For the very first step - that would be about all you would need to know.

You will also be able to buy little disposable electronic 'pens' - that allow you to take a single puff (vape) of a heated oil that is made from Marijuana. Very stealth. Vaping is weird though.
Last edited by Unagi on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, just buy commercial edibles. Production is regulated and inspected so they're pure and the dosage is accurate. Being a lifelong smoker I don't buy edibles myself -- they're too slow-acting, and the buzz is too subtle -- but the chocolates taste pretty good. You don't have to ruin good flower by grinding it up and putting it in food.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Once it's legal, you'll have a dozen options targeted to different strengths, flavors, moods, and purported effects.

Everything capitalism did to coffee, it will do to marijuana.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've never made edibles but my understanding is that just grinding up flower to add to a recipe won't provide any effects. It needs to be properly decarboxylated. Perhaps there are some recipes that accomplish this all in one go, I'm not sure. But there are tons of resources on the web, and I doubt accessing them will get you in any trouble even if cannabis isn't yet legalized where you are.

If you're open to inhalation but don't want to smoke, vaping oil is definitely a cleaner option. It's also pretty cheap. You can also vape flower, but those devices are pricier.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In the way back when machine, people I knew made a sort of butter by extracting oil and then made stuff from the oil.

I've never done it but here is the first link I found

https://www.leafly.com/learn/consume/ed ... ooking-oil
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:42 pm Being a lifelong smoker I don't buy edibles myself -- they're too slow-acting, and the buzz is too subtle -- but the chocolates taste pretty good. You don't have to ruin good flower by grinding it up and putting it in food.
This is my position as well. I occasionally will buy a disposable vape pen for 'family-stealth' reasons on vacations - but even the vape feels different to me from just smoking the flower.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sudy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:43 am I've never made edibles but my understanding is that just grinding up flower to add to a recipe won't provide any effects. It needs to be properly decarboxylated. Perhaps there are some recipes that accomplish this all in one go, I'm not sure. But there are tons of resources on the web, and I doubt accessing them will get you in any trouble even if cannabis isn't yet legalized where you are.
Yeah, there are some key steps (temperatures) to extracting the THC from the organics, but to leave them still intact for the consumer... You can't just suck on a raw bud but you can also cook it to death.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I want to try edibles again, but given the retail $5/10mg price point it just doesn't make sense, and I'm too lazy to do science in the kitchen. For sure I'd misplace a decimal and be flat on the floor for eight hours.

I refilled my clipper! It's rare that I fix something. I'm brimming with virile energy.

Edison Jolt lozenges were recommended as an alternative to edibles... apparently they were able to skirt classification as edibles enabling you to get ten 10mg lozenges for $18.99. And unlike the edibles I tried a couple years ago, these actually work! Even one or two. They're best ingested buccally (between the lip and gums) or sublingually (under the tongue). But it's easy to accidentally crunch and swallow them like I do candies. As I read on Reddit, the high seems more in line with inhalation due to the absorption method. (I.e. they don't act like edibles... certainly not as long.) That kind of bummed me out as I picked them up to take to a concert as I couldn't smoke inside the venue. But I still really like the product. If they taste of cannabis, it's minute. They taste like herbal, lemon Halls.

I got these new pre-rolls I like from another Canadian brand, Poolboy. Strawberry Banana. Probably the most floral (and presumably freshest) pre-rolls I've had. Yes, I know pre-rolls are a travesty. But I'm lazy and can't afford the good gear I'd want to make rolling/vaporizing an ideal experience right now.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife (who has a medical card) went to our favorite pot shop in the Berkshires to use up a credit that was going to expire. She buys CBD and I always piggyback some flower, and she was in the Berks for other reasons. So I gave her $90 and wished for two eighths (one-quarter) of Zombie Virus, the strain I liked best from last time. Turned out they were having a Halloween sale and zombies are a Halloween thing, so she brought back five eighths, and would've gotten more if they hadn't capped the sale for some reason. Five eighths will last me until spring.

In related news, I didn't plant a summer crop or a fall crop in my cellar. Now that we're contemplating moving house IDK if I'll restart my grow op in the spring. It takes a fair amount of effort and some minimal expense to grow weed, and the product, while OK, doesn't match commercial weed. Of course free is a much better price, but I can afford the good stuff. It's amusing that I stopped growing my own after it became legal.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I sort of thought it would be good for people with high blood pressure, but that doesn't seem to be the case? Is it good for anxiety? What is it good for? I always thought my mother could have benefited from mary jane as her anxiety was off the charts and I think I sort of caught it from being around her for so long.

They recently legalized it in Thailand, and now they're serving it in resorts. There were two sisters who used to make $20 per square (I think they said) farming melons who now make $1000 from that same size piece of land. Their crop failed the first two times they tried to grow it so it must be somewhat tricky to grow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYryDFLO4Y

Now easier to get a joint than a pad thai. :lol:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pot is relaxing if you're enjoying it in a relaxing environment. It can induce paranoia if you're already anxious, especially if the fuzz might kick in your door and haul you off to the gulag for having an illegal smile. Context matters.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, if I'm already dealing with anxiety getting high can just make things worse. But I usually do it anyway lol. With me, it's more that the weed will initially help me zone out and focus on a distraction, but if and when I think about what was troubling me it's going to hit even harder. The more I smoke the harder it is for me to redirect my thoughts. Whatever I'm dwelling on becomes an obsession. If I don't go too far down the spiral, letting myself be distracted by internet/music/TV/gaming may be enough to calm me down. The effects of cannabis are quite paradoxical in that it can both reduce and increase anxiety.

Like Kraken stated, environment really matters. I love getting high at home, but it can become unpleasant if I go out as I become very self-conscious, and a reduced ability to focus can make running errands stressful.

What is weed good for? For me, it's not a direct salve for anything. It increases depth of thought while reducing breadth. It can reduce inhibition and impulse control, but it can also increase introspection. I become a poor judge of the value of my thoughts and often exaggerate their importance. Less conventional thoughts that would ordinarily be relegated to background noise now compete for attention. Cannabis deepens sensory perception, making music in particular much more enjoyable. I want to move my body, and will even enjoy genres I don't typically care for. TV/gaming may be less enjoyable if it's something unfamiliar to me, as it will be harder to pay attention/remember what's going on. But if I'm watching my favourite movie or playing a game I know inside out, it's great. The munchies are real and can be very powerful but don't usually last for the whole trip. If I have junk food in the house it will be eaten, and poor fast food/delivery choices are likely to be made unless my wife reigns me in. If I'm already tired it will zonk me right out.

If I use just the right amount I have a good shot at temporarily forgetting my worries entirely. If I smoke too much I may experience mild-to-moderate visual and auditory pseudohallucinations. (E.g. I know exactly what's going on and am fully in touch with reality, but my brain will make "music" out of ambient sounds, I'll see/feel peripheral light sources that aren't there, when I close my eyes I'll picture a scene equivalent to daydreaming, etc.) Getting this high can be fun occasionally, but it can also become so overwhelming that I have to lie down and sleep it off.

I consider cannabis to have a negligible or slightly negative effect on my life. But if I'm using it during hours I'd be relaxing without interruption anyway, it can make the experience more enjoyable and more interesting. Cannabis is reality remixed. I use cannabis for similar reasons some use alcohol, only IMO it has far fewer risks/downsides associated with it. I haven't used it to ease physical pain, but many obviously do. For mental health, as mentioned, it can have both positive and negative effects. But it's not going to make most people more productive or clearheaded, so for myself, I consider it more of an escape than a treatment. Admittedly, I exploit its ability to fake a kind of joy and contentment my current circumstances rarely produce on their own. Shopping for gear, comparing and reviewing strains, experimenting with different methods of consumption etc. can make it a hobby on par with any other.

And I wrote this while decently high, so please pardon any rambling and poorly articulated thoughts.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Now that it's legal I sometimes wonder if smoking would restore the relaxing and the entertaining way I remember and reduce the paranoia and anxiety I also remember. I'm not inclined to find out as pot just keeps getting more and more potent. If I could get high like I did when I was 14 then life would be great but even by the time I was in early 20s I didn't find anything enjoyable about it and just stopped. The few times I tried after were never any better. Just a few hits around my friends and I wanted out of my own skin.

I love the smell though. Of course I also love the smell of cigarettes...

There's talk about mushrooms being made available locally. I'd low dose 'shroom again if they became controlled and legal. The world was very calm and pleasant and music was especially vibrant on low doses of mushrooms. I'd probably be better about exercise and housework if mushrooms were clean, cheap, and more or less proved not to accumulate bad stuff in your body (brain) over time. I'm happy to see so much research being done on them nowadays.