[Ken Burns] The U.S. and the Holocaust

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Ken Burns] The U.S. and the Holocaust

Post by Isgrimnur »

PBS
Premieres September 18 at 8/7c

The U.S. and the Holocaust is a three-part, six hour series that examines America’s response to one of the greatest humanitarian crises of the twentieth century. Americans consider themselves a “nation of immigrants,” but as the catastrophe of the Holocaust unfolded in Europe, the United States proved unwilling to open its doors to more than a fraction of the hundreds of thousands of desperate people seeking refuge. Through riveting firsthand testimony of witnesses and survivors who as children endured persecution, violence and flight as their families tried to escape Hitler, this series delves deeply into the tragic human consequences of public indifference, bureaucratic red tape and restrictive quota laws in America. Did the nation fail to live up to its ideals? This is a history to be reckoned with.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Re: [Ken Burns] The U.S. and the Holocaust

Post by Unagi »

I'm so sadly cynical.

I'm guessing this will be another amazing Ken Burns documentary... and yet I can already imagine the complaints in today's United States before anyone even knows what's in it.

How the hell dare Ken Burns to try and tell me about the tragic human consequences of public indifference... like I give a rat's ass.

fucking sigh
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's getting great reviews. I'll definitely stream it eventually. But nobody does "appointment TV" anymore.

I look forward to impressions from those of you who still watch appointment TV. :wink:
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I imagine this will be a great show following Burn’s tradition of great documentaries, but at the same time I expect some mild political content in the last hour.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The Meal wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:55 am There are some insanely powerful rooms in the Holocaust Memorial. That's one of them.

Can't recommend more strongly that anyone (who can muster the requisite maturity) go visit this site in Washington DC. It'll rock your perspective.
The Memorial does not shy away from American indifference.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I need to try and watch it this weekend. Apparently the old Nazi summer camp for kids in my corner of NJ is (operational from 1937-1941) part of the documentary, which is weird (but certainly appropriate).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I watched part 1 last night, with parts 2-3 recorded. It covers a lot more ground than I thought it would, basically giving a history of American immigration. As such you get an overview of American racism and hypocrisy. You also learn about eugenics.

But I must admit, it was an interesting and quick 2 hours.
Black Lives Matter