Too early to think about 2022?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Too early to think about 2022?

Post by hepcat »

Meanwhile, here in Illinois the republican candidate Bailey is being backed by a PAC running ads featuring two black assailants attacking a white woman, and a video of Mayor Lightfoot with noticeably darker skin. The moment anyone questions Dan Proft, the scumbag behind these ads, he claims the viewers are racist for thinking they’re full of race baiting.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Voters recoil from trumpster in MA governor's race.
Eight weeks ahead of the November election, Attorney General Maura Healey holds an imposing lead over Republican Geoff Diehl for Massachusetts’ open governor’s seat, a new poll found, her margins boosted by support from women and independent voters who say they loathe the GOP candidate’s embrace of Donald Trump.

Healey leads Diehl 52 percent to 26 percent, according to the Suffolk University/Boston Globe/NBC10 Boston/Telemundo poll of likely midterm voters. Her margin includes a 9-percentage-point advantage among independent voters, though several indicated in interviews that their support is less rooted in Healey’s appeal than another factor: They’re deeply averse to voting for a Trump-backed candidate such as Diehl, a former state lawmaker from Whitman.

The former president remains profoundly unpopular in Massachusetts; two-thirds of the 500 likely voters surveyed hold an unfavorable view of him, the poll found. And among the 17 percent who said they have not made up their mind in the governor’s race, more than half said they hold an unfavorable opinion of Trump.

It makes for a potential albatross, especially as Diehl — whom nearly half of poll respondents said they either never heard of or don’t have an opinion of — tries to appeal to a wider audience.

“The only candidate that I’ve ruled out is Geoff Diehl,” said Adam Lurie, a 27-year-old graduate student from Stoughton who said he’s leaned libertarian in the past and remains undecided about his choice for governor. “He’s made his politics pretty clear, that he’s going to be a Trump-style Republican. I’m not interested.”
Republicans generally score about 35% in statewide races. If Diehl beats that he's exceeding expectations; if he comes in at 30 or less it's a rout. The Mass. GOP turned its back on Baker-style RINOs in favor of MAGAts, so they're going to get wiped out.

Healey will be the first openly lesbian governor in US history.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's becoming clearer that the actions of Abbott and DeSantis are part of a vile, racist campaign to cause a nativist panic to drive people to the polls. They want to take the focus off Dobbs perhaps but it also doesn't hurt that it whips up their most violent factions.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Considering I've been seeing the usual suspects on local social media saying that Biden has been dropping off "illegals" in our part of NJ via bus late in the night for the last 2+ years, it would appear that once again every accusation is really a confession.

The idea that these clowns (And their supporters) overwhelming identify as Christian is really something.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kaiser Soze?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm not normally a "trigger warning" guy, but the article describes disturbing animal cruelty.

For example:
Spoiler:
Dell’Orto testified that a dog experimented on by Oz’s team experienced lethargy, vomiting, paralysis, and kidney failure, but wasn’t euthanized for a full two days. She alleged other truly horrifying examples of gratuitously cruel treatment of dogs, including at least one dog who was kept alive for a month for continued experimentation despite her unstable, painful condition, despite how data from her continued experimentation was deemed unusable. According to Dell’Orto, one Oz-led study resulted in a litter of puppies being killed by intracardiac injection with syringes of expired drugs inserted in their hearts without any sedation. Upon being killed, the puppies were allegedly left in a garbage bag with living puppies who were their littermates.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:37 pm I'm not normally a "trigger warning" guy, but the article describes disturbing animal cruelty.
:shock: When you spoiler something, you're serious. I wish I hadn't clicked it.

Although I must say, "He cruelly kills puppies" is some next-level campaign material.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:21 pm
Walker’s son’s reaction to the story. Granted he’s an attention whore, but…damn.

Not a good night for Walker’s campaign. Not that anyone who would have voted for him will change their mind over it.

EDIT: And more!

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:37 pm
I'm not normally a "trigger warning" guy, but the article describes disturbing animal cruelty.

For example:
Spoiler:
Dell’Orto testified that a dog experimented on by Oz’s team experienced lethargy, vomiting, paralysis, and kidney failure, but wasn’t euthanized for a full two days. She alleged other truly horrifying examples of gratuitously cruel treatment of dogs, including at least one dog who was kept alive for a month for continued experimentation despite her unstable, painful condition, despite how data from her continued experimentation was deemed unusable. According to Dell’Orto, one Oz-led study resulted in a litter of puppies being killed by intracardiac injection with syringes of expired drugs inserted in their hearts without any sedation. Upon being killed, the puppies were allegedly left in a garbage bag with living puppies who were their littermates.
Hurt a dog, I consider you a subhuman piece of shit not worth the gift of life.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Point taken, but I don’t think Walker holds quite the cult-lie sway that Trump does.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Point taken, but I don’t think Walker holds quite the cult-lie sway that Trump does.
You're not a Georgia football fan;)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Interesting piece in the NYT the other day about gerrymandering. When I think about structural problems facing our democracy, gerrymandering would have been at the top of my list. This analysis by the NYT suggests it is an issue, but it’s actually much less of an issue now than it has been in years.
“In reality, Republicans do have a structural edge in the House, but it isn’t anything near insurmountable for the Democrats,” Nate writes. “By some measures, this is the fairest House map of the last 40 years.”

If anything, these two factors (dems living in cities; GOP more aggressive with gerrymanders) would seem to give the Republican Party a larger advantage in the House than it actually has. Why don’t they? Courts have managed to halt some Republican attempts at gerrymandering, including in Pennsylvania and North Carolina. And Democrats have enacted their own gerrymanders in Illinois, New Mexico and Oregon.

Recent shifts in the vote — connected to Donald Trump — have also shrunk what once was the Republicans’ advantage in the House map. Rural areas that were already conservative became even more so, leading to bigger Republican margins in some House races without adding any new seats for the party. At the same time, college-educated voters in the suburbs swung toward the Democrats, helping the party flip some districts.

Gerrymandering is a real problem for American democracy, especially in the drawing of state legislature districts, as The New Yorker’s Jane Mayer recently documented. Some states, like North Carolina, are also likely to redraw their congressional maps even before 2030, especially if a coming Supreme Court case restricts the authority of state courts. Still, if you were going to rank the biggest current threats to American democracy, gerrymandering would not be at the top of the list.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'd actually put the Senate at the top of my list (compounded by the filibuster).
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:36 pm I'd actually put the Senate at the top of my list (compounded by the filibuster).
I'd say one of the two major political parties going completely off the rails, flirting with fascism and having nothing but contempt for elections and the rule of law, but the Senate is good too.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gbasden wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:11 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:36 pm I'd actually put the Senate at the top of my list (compounded by the filibuster).
I'd say one of the two major political parties going completely off the rails, flirting with fascism and having nothing but contempt for elections and the rule of law, but the Senate is good too.
The Senate is one of the main reasons why said party hasn't been politically marginalized for going off the rails.
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:13 pm
gbasden wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:11 pm
The Senate is one of the main reasons why said party hasn't been politically marginalized for going off the rails.
Sure, but it doesn't address the insanity that is causing all of the damage. It's a contributor, but not the core of the issue by any means.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:12 am
Skinypupy wrote:Point taken, but I don’t think Walker holds quite the cult-lie sway that Trump does.
My dad passed away in 2020, but I would have loved to know his position on this race.

Dad was a die-hard Republican who voted for the nominee no matter who. On the other hand, he was a life-long Crimson Tide fan who hated The Georgia Bulldogs with the heat of a thousand suns.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:29 pm
My dad passed away in 2020, but I would have loved to know his position on this race.

Dad was a die-hard Republican who voted for the nominee no matter who. On the other hand, he was a life-long Crimson Tide fan who hated The Georgia Bulldogs with the heat of a thousand suns.
What did he think about Tuberville in Alabama as a "Senator"?

Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:32 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:29 pm

What did he think about Tuberville in Alabama as a "Senator"?
We never talked about it, but he probably supported him after the primary. Dad (who incidentally did live in Alabama then) died just a few days before the 2020 election.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So he only hated Auburn with the heat of a white dwarf?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

In all honesty, I'm probably presenting a caricature. Dad was a National-Review Wm F Buckley conservative who eventually came to accept the "necessity" of Trump. But he did sit out the Roy Moore election (where Democrat Doug Jones won), and he probably would be rolling his eyes at Walker's obvious unsuitability for elected office.

Republicans are weird.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is a pretty common refrain today. I just picked this clip off a pile of them. It's not a shock but this is the face of the modern GOP.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:26 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:37 pm I'm not normally a "trigger warning" guy, but the article describes disturbing animal cruelty.
:shock: When you spoiler something, you're serious. I wish I hadn't clicked it.

Although I must say, "He cruelly kills puppies" is some next-level campaign material.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"Who's Giesselle? Is she running for something?"

I feel for you PA. I hope you do your job as I hope we do ours.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

There are probably a million different ways Oz could have parried this "you killed puppies" attack to make it seem juvenile and immature.

But this is Oz, who probably ranks up there with some of the worst candidates for state-wide office we've ever witnessed. And his response has been pathetic so far. It's like he's not even really trying to win.

The MAGAt in Chief sure knows how to pick 'em!

Edit to add: I just went to Oz's twitter page, and the first comments I saw to any of Oz's post all included reference to his puppy killing. I particularly liked this one:

Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:19 pm But this is Oz, who probably ranks up there with some of the worst candidates for state-wide office we've ever witnessed. And his response has been pathetic so far. It's like he's not even really trying to win.
Because none of it matters. Instead, the fact that he has a (R) after his name on the ballot means a significant number of people will vote for him no matter what. Because to do anything else is unthinkable. It's the same with Herschel Walker. Jesus loves him (he told Herschel it's true) and degenerates on social media today saying they don't care at all about the abortion story. He's a (R) running against (checks notes) a literal pastor on the (D) ticket so they must vote for him. It's a goddamn cult.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:52 pm they don't care at all about the abortion story.
And that's all that need to be said about their character for the rest of time. Popehat as you used to say.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:52 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:19 pm But this is Oz, who probably ranks up there with some of the worst candidates for state-wide office we've ever witnessed. And his response has been pathetic so far. It's like he's not even really trying to win.
Because none of it matters. Instead, the fact that he has a (R) after his name on the ballot means a significant number of people will vote for him no matter what. Because to do anything else is unthinkable. It's the same with Herschel Walker. Jesus loves him (he told Herschel it's true) and degenerates on social media today saying they don't care at all about the abortion story. He's a (R) running against (checks notes) a literal pastor on the (D) ticket so they must vote for him. It's a goddamn cult.
Total,100%, truth.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It ought to be astonishing that the violent, wife-assaulting, child-neglecting, secret-abortion-funding, serial liar and grifter can run on "I'm a true Christian" against a literal Christian minister.

But of course it isn't because we live in Crazyworld now.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:45 pm It ought to be astonishing that the violent, wife-assaulting, child-neglecting, secret-abortion-funding, serial liar and grifter can run on "I'm a true Christian" against a literal Christian minister.
They released a nihilistic ad to address that as well.

Holman

Post by Holman »

[Narrator:] He hasn't overcome it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

At this point I'm going to assume that there are half a dozen or so Herschel abortions out there.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Dude gets redeemed a *lot*.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:09 pm Dude gets redeemed a *lot*.
You jest, but I'm already seeing that as the spin.

"Walker was an imperfect sinner. But he accepted Christ, saw the error of his ways, and is now seeking to atone for the grievous errors he made by tirelessly advocating for the precious unborn."
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:15 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:09 pm Dude gets redeemed a *lot*.
You jest, but I'm already seeing that as the spin.

"Walker was an imperfect sinner. But he accepted Christ, saw the error of his ways, and is now seeking to atone for the grievous errors he made by tirelessly advocating for the precious unborn."

I mean, is he redeemed every morning for his uncaring neglect yesterday?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Don't forget he went on tv and pretended he had no idea who she was. Though to be fair, his brain is so compromised that possibly he forgot her for real.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did he get visitation and let Paul Bettany watch him?
It's almost as if people are the problem.