Disney+ Streaming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Disney+ Streaming

Post by Smoove_B »

Did you opt-in to adult content for your account? There was a time a few months ago that required it and they'd otherwise assume you were a kid and anything PG+ would be blocked.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:14 pm I'm just sitting here using Disney+ on my iPad - like I watch all my Disney+ content... and it just isn't returned as a show/series I can watch or that they have at all. I don't know what I could be doing wrong.
Any chance you are trying to search under a "kid" account?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:15 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:14 pm I'm just sitting here using Disney+ on my iPad - like I watch all my Disney+ content... and it just isn't returned as a show/series I can watch or that they have at all. I don't know what I could be doing wrong.
Any chance you are trying to search under a "kid" account?
Not quite the 'kid content' setting - but as Smoove said, it needed me to confirm that I wanted anything above TV-14.

I'm not sure what the account password is - so I just went and used my wife's profile and found the show. I'm sure no child would think to do that... :D

Thanks for the help guys !!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

My wife came home and upgraded my profile to 'big boy' - and now I can watch everything.
:horse:
Thanks again.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mazel tov
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote:My wife came home and upgraded my profile to 'big boy' - and now I can watch everything.
:horse:
Thanks again.
Next up, Daredevil?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:46 pm OK, so I wanted to watch the Netflix Daredevil series (that I never got around to watching on Netflix).

I'm told that it's available now on Disney+, but I can't find any evidence of that.

Can anyone confirm or correct me here? How do I watch Daredevil now?
Not sure if you followed my whole mental hiccup, but yeah this was to watch Daredevil.

I’m almost done with Season 2.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:51 pm Disenchanted

Enlarge Image
For anyone that doesn't know - this is a sequel. Do yourself a favor and watch the original Enchanted - it's a fantastic twist on the Disney Princess story with some really great songs.

Enlarge Image
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I finished watching The Muppets Mayhem. I'd say it's a ton of mindless fun, but at times it veers into biting send ups of music media complex culture. Then it's quite clever. It's exactly what you'd hope for if you wanted to learn more about the Electric Mayhem or just want more madcap Muppets. There are a ton of great cameos including a great one by Weird Al in the psychedelic marshmallow episode.

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

News from this spirals out into various threads that have already been created covering these shows. Strange times at Disney+
Let’s start with the ironic major exception to all this time-shifting: The second season of Loki, which is set for October 6, and which will be staying right there, thank you very much.

The second season of What If…? has now been moved back to December, after originally being set to come out much earlier in 2023.

Over in live-action, Hawkeye spinoff Echo has gotten a similar delay, with the Alaqua Cox-starring show bounced from November 2023 to January 2024. Similary, Kathryn Hahn’s Agatha series—which has been billed under a number of alliterative subtitles, including House Of Harkness, Darkhold Diaries, and Coven Of Chaos—has been pushed all the way back to fall 2024.

Finally—and for old nerds like ourselves, possibly most importantly—animated series X-Men ’97 has also been delayed, and won’t come out until early 2024.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:14 am News from this spirals out into various threads that have already been created covering these shows. Strange times at Disney+
Why is that strange? (Legit q, no snark)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Have you been huffing Daehawk's time crystals? :wink:

It was strange (to me) that they were taking all their money-making content and delaying it out through late 2024.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:20 am Have you been huffing Daehawk's time crystals? :wink:

It was strange (to me) that they were taking all their money-making content and delaying it out through late 2024.
But you referenced (maybe I misunderstood) the other thread talking about how all these streaming services are slamming the brakes on the subsidized content gravytrain, right? This is exactly in line with that.

The new normal is profit># of subs. It was flipped before.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It was my impression (and maybe it's wrong) that new content is going to suffer. Stuff that is already created and/or has contractual parameters shouldn't be impacted - until the contracts/terms run out. Again, with the news (back in September) that Disney+ was hemorrhaging subscribers, the idea that they would take content that was going to presumably keep people around and think they can drag them through 2024 with steady drips seems...strange.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:27 am Stuff that is already created and/or has contractual parameters shouldn't be impacted - until the contracts/terms run out.
But are they taking lessons from across town?
In another maneuver by the David Zaslav-run Warner Bros Discovery to kill movies, we hear on very good authority that Warner Bros will not be releasing the hybrid live-action/animated Coyote vs. Acme, with the conglom taking an estimated $30M write-down on the $70M production.
This reps the third time that Zaslav’s Warner Bros has pulled the plug on a movie greenlighted by the previous Warner Media administration, the other two being the Max-destined Batgirl and the animated Scoob Holiday Haunt!

The difference here is that Coyote vs. Acme is a completed movie with very good test scores, 14 points above the family norm. We’re told that the cash-strapped Warners finds that it’s not worth the cost to release the film theatrically or to sell to other buyers (and there are parties who are interested for their own streaming services; we hear Amazon kicked the tires). After reporting a mixed third quarter, the best means for Warners money is a tax write-off. At one point, Coyote vs. Acme was dated for theatrical release on July 21, 2023, before getting pulled
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I was thinking about that too, but I wasn't sure Disney was in the same financial position as WB - where their CEO is actively using these types of decisions as financial write-offs. You'd think that Cena movie would be a slam dunk, but I guess it's wort more as a loss...somehow.

Going back to what I'd said in September - strange times.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:27 am It was my impression (and maybe it's wrong) that new content is going to suffer. Stuff that is already created and/or has contractual parameters shouldn't be impacted - until the contracts/terms run out. Again, with the news (back in September) that Disney+ was hemorrhaging subscribers, the idea that they would take content that was going to presumably keep people around and think they can drag them through 2024 with steady drips seems...strange.
There could be another factor - between reduced production and multiple strikes slowing things down, they may be trying to space their current content out more. New releases bring in subscribers, so they want to keep them regular.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:39 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:27 am It was my impression (and maybe it's wrong) that new content is going to suffer. Stuff that is already created and/or has contractual parameters shouldn't be impacted - until the contracts/terms run out. Again, with the news (back in September) that Disney+ was hemorrhaging subscribers, the idea that they would take content that was going to presumably keep people around and think they can drag them through 2024 with steady drips seems...strange.
There could be another factor - between reduced production and multiple strikes slowing things down, they may be trying to space their current content out more. New releases bring in subscribers, so they want to keep them regular.
Yeah, but becaof the strikes everything is getting pushed back which means a much bigger gap between releases do I'd think that they would want to keep subscribers by having new content now.
I suspect that there will be an exodus of subscribers as soon as it shows the gap. Why keep subscribing for 6 more months when the next new thing is out in 7?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Because people are lazy, forgetful, and tend to thrive on habit.

It's easy to forget that places like OO aren't representative of the rest of the world.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:45 pm Yeah, I was thinking about that too, but I wasn't sure Disney was in the same financial position as WB - where their CEO is actively using these types of decisions as financial write-offs. You'd think that Cena movie would be a slam dunk, but I guess it's wort more as a loss...somehow.
According to that piece I linked to (not sure if in this thread or another) everyone is kind of scapegoating WBD on this, but they are all doing it now. He was the first, and most prominent, and kind of vilified in the media for his moves, but the others studios/services saw the results and kind of followed his lead. Killing off shows, even if successful, taking write-offs, and mostly avoiding residuals (which means pulling shows quickly, as the fees are front-loaded - higher soon after release, then slowly get reduced over time)

Lest I am misunderstood...I think this awful, and absolutely horrible for customers. The golden age of streaming was extremely short-lived IMO. (sniff)
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am still much happier with the current state of streaming than I ever was with traditional cable. All cable subscribers wanted ala carte TV. We are much MUCH closer to that with streaming services than we were ever going to be with cable. Just pay for 1-2 services at a time and rotate through them watching what you want. Just try to avoid spoilers on the internet.

If you still want to watch news and sports, then you have to stick with the dumb legacy like TV. I do it myself in the Fall. Still saves me money compared to when I was paying for stupid cable.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:36 pm Because people are lazy, forgetful, and tend to thrive on habit.

It's easy to forget that places like OO aren't representative of the rest of the world.
...and I just "accidentally" signed up for another year of Disney+.

Taking my kid to school Friday I asked him if he was interested in seeing The Marvels. He said he'd probably just wait and see it on Disney+. I told him I was going to cancel D+ because the price was going up. He shrugged. Over the weekend, I saw the charge come through for the D+ annual renewal. Oops.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:whistle:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Disney CEO Reveals Disney+ as We Know It Will Shut Down in December, Tells Parents to “Prepare”
In a call to analysts, Iger revealed that beginning in December, the new service will be beta-tested as a combined app with Hulu, with both apps to be permanently replaced in March of 2024 (per Deadline). According to him, parents will need to be prepared for this because the Hulu catalog is basically full of programming not intended for children, unlike the deliberately family-friendly original app.

Bob Iger said, “We are basically putting it in beta so that we can prepare parents, largely, to basically implement parental controls, because you’ll be able to access Hulu programming on the same app.”
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

HBO + Discovery + WB
Disney + Hulu + ESPN + Fox...

Maybe if a few more combine, we'll reach a point where everything comes from the same company, and instead of subscribing to all the different channels, we can just subscribe to one! In fact, they could even lump combinations of channels together into some sort of, I don't know, 'package', and you can select different ones for different prices!

Isn't progress grand?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But only whichever one is owned or signed a deal with your cable provider to zero-rate their traffic and throttle the competitors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:27 am But only whichever one is owned or signed a deal with your cable provider to zero-rate their traffic and throttle the competitors.
Yeah, and we'd never have this grand opportunity if those non-committal internet neutrals had their way!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And the crazy thing is that I'm not sure it's really a joke. Given the current trajectory, I could absolutely see us come full circle to streaming cable. You know it's Comcast's wet dream.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:30 pm Disney CEO Reveals Disney+ as We Know It Will Shut Down in December, Tells Parents to “Prepare”
In a call to analysts, Iger revealed that beginning in December, the new service will be beta-tested as a combined app with Hulu, with both apps to be permanently replaced in March of 2024 (per Deadline). According to him, parents will need to be prepared for this because the Hulu catalog is basically full of programming not intended for children, unlike the deliberately family-friendly original app.

Bob Iger said, “We are basically putting it in beta so that we can prepare parents, largely, to basically implement parental controls, because you’ll be able to access Hulu programming on the same app.”
That's more or less what we already have for Disney+ in Canada. The non-Disney stuff, like the Fox catalog, is branded as Star within the Disney+ service.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:32 am And the crazy thing is that I'm not sure it's really a joke. Given the current trajectory, I could absolutely see us come full circle to streaming cable. You know it's Comcast's wet dream.
Amazon Prime Video is already there. They have subscription channels and packages that mirror what is available on cable.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:30 pm Disney CEO Reveals Disney+ as We Know It Will Shut Down in December, Tells Parents to “Prepare”

This would be good IF they don't go and add commercials to Disney+ shows and movies like they do on Hulu.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Scraper wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:49 am

This would be good IF they don't go and add commercials to Disney+ shows and movies like they do on Hulu.
You're funny. Of course that's what they will do.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They only add commercials if you pay for the lower tiers on Hulu. I'm assuming that if you pay for the higher tier for the bundled service when it releases, it will still be the same.

Honestly, I think this is where things are going to go for most of these services. They're going to continue to combine until there are only a few large, bundled services. I think the a la carte days are going to disappear...at least at the level we currently have.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:39 am They only add commercials if you pay for the lower tiers on Hulu. I'm assuming that if you pay for the higher tier for the bundled service when it releases, it will still be the same.

Honestly, I think this is where things are going to go for most of these services. They're going to continue to combine until there are only a few large, bundled services. I think the a la carte days are going to disappear...at least at the level we currently have.
I currently have the Disney+ with ESPN+ and Hulu all in a bundle. On this I don't get commercials on Disney + but I do get them on Hulu. Even Hulu's movies have frequent commercial breaks, it can get annoying. I prefer the Paramount + model where they show commercials at the beginning of movies and then after that there aren't any commercials.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Then you have the lower ad supported tier of Hulu in that bundle. I have the hulu (no ad) and disney add on and I never see commercials in Hulu.

I switched to the Paramount+ ad supported "Essential" tier a few months ago and while the commercials aren't THAT egregious on TV shows (I don't watch that many movies on Paramount+....and they don't support 4K and HDR at the ad sponsored level), there are still quite a lot. Plus, if you try to rewind to catch something you missed, you often get dumped to just prior to the last commercial break with no way to get back to where you were. Now THAT'S annoying.
He won. Period.