All Things DeSantis

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Victoria Raverna

Re: All Things DeSantis

Post by Victoria Raverna »

stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:26 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:13 pm If you’ve had to post 14 times to argue with people claiming that this was an awful stunt by DeSantis….well… I think you have your answer.
Sigh.......
Again.....please, please take 90 seconds to go back and point out 1, just 1, instance where I argued with anyone about the morality of the act of shipping the migrants out of 1 state to another vs arguing about the ineptitude of the "welcoming" states they were sent to, and all of the perspectives of what you all think I think.
Here:
stimpy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:33 pm I fail to see how moving people from a place that doesnt want them to a place that does is not ultimately in their best interest.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:36 pm
Alefroth wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:32 pm
stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:58 pm Please show me where I defend it (I know you wont/cant).
This one's easy, I got it.
stimpy wrote: Then I brought up that maybe, just maybe, the migrants would end up in a better situation as a result of being moved from states that dont want them or cant support them, to states that claimed they do want and can support them.
You aint got shit.
So your request was not in good faith?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:43 pm Can we change the thread title to "All Things Stimpy", because once again I make it all about me, according to plan.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:52 pm
stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:26 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:13 pm If you’ve had to post 14 times to argue with people claiming that this was an awful stunt by DeSantis….well… I think you have your answer.
Sigh.......
Again.....please, please take 90 seconds to go back and point out 1, just 1, instance where I argued with anyone about the morality of the act of shipping the migrants out of 1 state to another vs arguing about the ineptitude of the "welcoming" states they were sent to, and all of the perspectives of what you all think I think.
Here:
stimpy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:33 pm I fail to see how moving people from a place that doesnt want them to a place that does is not ultimately in their best interest.
That's not arguing about the morality of sending them elsewhere.
If you lived somewhere that was hostile towards you and not able to provide the bare necessities and you heard there were other places that say they would welcome you and provide you with essentials and opportunities, would it not be in your best interest to pursue it?
The fact that some of those places were ill prepared to back up their declarations is what my original point was, not the fact that the migrants may have been duped by the states sending them.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:08 am
stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:43 pm Can we change the thread title to "All Things Stimpy", because once again I make it all about me, according to plan.
I posted something I thought was worth posting. Nothing more. Nothing less.
The fact that others turn it into this is on them, not me.
But I'm not going to sit back and let others tell me what they think my intentions were.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:02 am
stimpy wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:58 pm Please show me where I defend it (I know you wont/cant).
stimpy wrote: Then I brought up that maybe, just maybe, the migrants would end up in a better situation as a result of being moved from states that dont want them or cant support them, to states that claimed they do want and can support them.
You aint got shit.
Sure it was. But your quote of mine in no way, shape or form shows me defending the actions of Texas or Florida.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stimpy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:15 am
Alefroth wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:02 am
You aint got shit.
Sure it was. But your quote of mine in no way, shape or form shows me defending the actions of Texas or Florida.
People were saying it's bad. You argued that it might be good. How is that not defending?
Formix

Post by Formix »

Wait . . is this some kind of performance art recreation of the Monty Python argument sketch?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:12 am
Alefroth wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:08 am
I posted something I thought was worth posting. Nothing more. Nothing less.
The fact that others turn it into this is on them, not me.
But I'm not going to sit back and let others tell me what they think my intentions were.
Lol.
Honestly.

This whole thing is not, no matter how much you would like it, a shit-story about Chicago’s mayor. It’s a shit story about TX and FL. The idea that you know the whole story and come away with just finger-pointing at any and all ‘sanctuary cities’ is just so cliché that you will need to forgive us for concluding what your intentions were.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stimpy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:33 pm
YellowKing wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:29 pm It's incredibly tough to admit to yourself that you're on the wrong side of not only history, but of simple decent humanity.
I fail to see how moving people from a place that doesnt want them to a place that does is not ultimately in their best interest.
How is this not to be read as a defense of TX and FL governors human trafficking? It’s what it is, it’s defense of their human trafficking - and you are in the wrong.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Formix wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:29 am Wait . . is this some kind of performance art recreation of the Monty Python argument sketch?
No it isnt.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, it's simply this
stimpy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:17 pm Someone has to be counterpoint to all the one-sidedness in this forum.

I've elected myself and there are no term limits.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:31 am No, it's simply this
stimpy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:17 pm Someone has to be counterpoint to all the one-sidedness in this forum.

I've elected myself and there are no term limits.
No it isnt.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Texas Sheriff opens investigation on DeSantis:
A Texas sheriff said Monday that his office has opened a criminal investigation into Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ unprecedented move to send nearly 50 migrants from Texas to Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, last week.

Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar said the inquiry was in its early stages, and he declined to name possible suspects. But in a news conference, he said: “Everybody on this call knows who those names are already.”

Salazar said it was not clear whether any laws had been broken, but he said that 48 migrants appeared to have been “lured under false pretenses” into staying at a hotel for a couple of days before they were flown to Florida and Martha’s Vineyard
/let them fight.jpg
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I suspect that Texas is pissed that DeSantis is stealing their cattle and trying to brand them with a poker from the Lazy D Ranch.
Covfefe!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Bexar county is heavily Latino. Couple that with the fact that the folks that were enticed to go to Massachusetts were legal, and you have a lot of pissed off constituents.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really am hoping that the large Hispanic community in Texas does stand up and say "enough is enough".
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

So what is the problem again?

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL), when asked why the state paid to transport migrants from Texas instead of from Florida:

“The problem is we’re not seeing mass movements of them into Florida … It’s just coming in onesie-twosies.”
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The problem is Texas has all the cattle he needs for the Lazy D Ranch. If’n he don’t get them there cattle under HIS brand, he ain’t gonna get elected mayor of the yew-nited states!
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If the two dickead governors were serious about trying to fix a serious problem, as opposed to dunking on libs, they could have approached all sanctuary cities and said "we need help. We can't handle all the immigrant inflows. You guys are claiming to be sanctuary cities. How can we move at least some of these people to your city to alleviate the massive pressure that we are feeling here?" IF the problem was serious, AND they got shut down by the sanctuary cities with that kind of approach...ok...maybe.

But the WAY they did this makes it obvious they were only interested in STIGGINIT and not an actual solution.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:20 pm But the WAY they did this makes it obvious they were only interested in STIGGINIT and not an actual solution.
And it's working because it's been at least a week since anyone has mentioned Senator Graham's proposal for a federal abortion ban.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think that's the first time I've ever heard DeSantis talk. I knew he lacked charisma, I didn't realize he also sounded like a nasally little twerp.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:24 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:20 pm But the WAY they did this makes it obvious they were only interested in STIGGINIT and not an actual solution.
And it's working because it's been at least a week since anyone has mentioned Senator Graham's proposal for a federal abortion ban.
That’s a really good point. I hadn’t thought of that before, but I think it’s spot on. This stupid immigration stunt is the perfect vehicle to get the focus off Graham’s idiocy.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smells like a grift to me

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Florida dems need to broadcast a running tally of tax payer dollars spent on these stunts. Just blast it out there.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

This story keeps getting crazier.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

These guys are always so fucking sloppy. It's really our only hope to cling to.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:56 pm Smells like a grift to me
I think there was a piece of last-minute legal advice that was finally considered. I would like to picture that, at least.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:41 pm
I think there was a piece of last-minute legal advice that was finally considered. I would like to picture that, at least.
Maybe but there was then no need to actually complete the flight.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:48 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:41 pm
Maybe but there was then no need to actually complete the flight.
They were contracted to move the plane there, I am sure there were plans to have the plane there - I imagine they were perhaps obligated to 'take the flight'.
raydude

Post by raydude »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:38 pm I think that's the first time I've ever heard DeSantis talk. I knew he lacked charisma, I didn't realize he also sounded like a nasally little twerp.
So you're saying he's 'low-energy' ? God, I hope so.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Greg Sargent is still one of the best for journeys through the details. He effortlessly navigates the issues to point out how GOP framing is bullshit. Unfortunately many of his colleagues don't bother and just megaphone the GOP talking points.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did not see this coming:
So we know who Perla is. She’s Perla Huerta, a former combat medic and Army counterintelligence agent who was discharged from the Army only last month after two decades in the Army. The news comes from an article in The New York Times. But the information appears to come out of the investigation being conducted by the Bexar County (San Antonio) Sheriff’s department which announced a criminal probe just days after the story broke. The Times as well as lawyers working with the Venezuelan migrants in Massachusetts showed pictures of Huerta to several migrants who had either worked with Huerta or been hustled by her and shipped to Martha’s Vineyard. All apparently confirmed that Huerta was the “Perla” at the center of the operation.

A basic question: how did a woman who was apparently only weeks out of a 20 year career as an active duty member of the US Army get involved in this? Her apparent background as Army counterintelligence with multiple deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan might be just a random coincidence. But maybe not? It’s the kind of background you might want running an operation like this. Notably, she also appeared to be looking specifically for Venezuelan immigrants to hoodwinked as part of the mission she had in Texas.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Absolutely horrible.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm not so sure De(nial)Santis is as immune from political fallout for causing deaths as Florida Man Uno.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

malchior wrote:Absolutely horrible.

I don’t think evacuations are the governors call. I believe it’s up to the local officials on when to issue evacuations, and where.

This is a topic that needs to be investigated and talked about, but I don’t think this is a governors scandal.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msteelers wrote:

I don’t think evacuations are the governors call. I believe it’s up to the local officials on when to issue evacuations, and where.

This is a topic that needs to be investigated and talked about, but I don’t think this is a governors scandal.
Unless they are evacuating immigrants from Texas?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:14 pm
msteelers wrote:

Unless they are evacuating immigrants from Texas?
LOL, we need a cartoon of Florida Man Deux evacuating Texas while a hurricane hits Florida.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

This here appears to be a weird grift/politicization move. DeSantis has like a good authoritarian begun infiltrating politicos into multiple institutions, including Florida's state colleges and universities. This apparently may have influenced a staffing decision. U of Florida has been searching for a new President over the last year. The process has been relatively secretive - the better to grift it out! -- but strangely this process popped out one name. Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse. His experience administering a university? None. He has occasionally been a professor.

There is likely some complex math at play because the expectation was that he wasn't going to run again in 2024 after clashing with Trump. But now he'll probably resign and the real question is why the DeSantis machine installed Sasse at all? Maybe something in the national political sphere that hasn't come to light yet?

Apparently Nebraska Governor Ricketts might name himself Senator and elevate his own profile. So that surely factors in. It ultimately feels like DeSantis is trying to build a base of support for his eventual run.

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a law earlier this year making applications for college presidential openings confidential, effectively cloaking the process in secrecy until the very end stages. From the outset, it was clear that the law was intended to give crucial cover as Florida's benighted college boards considered overtly political candidates for the lucrative, powerful positions heading the state's universities.

The UF search committee, headed by Rahul Patel, a member of the Board of Trustees, claimed its search was "exhaustive," but it did not explain in any detail how such a process could have landed on Sasse, who possesses limited experience in higher education and accumulated a divisive, hard-right voting record in the U.S. Senate. Nor did the board bother explaining how secrecy best served the process. In the past, the minor inconvenience that an applicant would need to disclose their interest was considered secondary to the public's right to have a full view of an important hiring decision. No more: Sasse was permitted to walk away from his Nebraska constituents under cover of darkness, alerting them only after the goose had been cooked.