Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Isgrimnur

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by Isgrimnur »

And then there's Red Dust Rebellion, the 13th game in the COIN series, set in 2250 on Mars.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:32 pm I've just gone in to collecting P500 GMT games.
I have lost track on how long I've been waiting for a p500 reprint of The Dambuster Raid. 6 years? 7 years? Their system sucks.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:40 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:32 pm I've just gone in to collecting P500 GMT games.
I have lost track on how long I've been waiting for a p500 reprint of The Dambuster Raid. 6 years? 7 years? Their system sucks.
Orders To Date: 345
You just need to convince 155 of your closest friends to commit to the purchase.

Well, 154...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’ve got the P500s for Red Dust Rebellion, The Plum Island Horror, Fields of Fire Vol 1 Deluxe Edition and the last Space Empires 4x expansion on my order page on the gmt site.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:43 pm Well, 154...
I'm pretty sure it'll be re-printed in 2027 at the current rate.

Did we know that Heroes of Might and Magic 3 was being turned into a board game and coming to KS? I feel like we didn't know that.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:51 pm I’ve got the P500s for Red Dust Rebellion, The Plum Island Horror, Fields of Fire Vol 1 Deluxe Edition and the last Space Empires 4x expansion on my order page on the gmt site.
I have Red Dust Rebellion, Mr. President, Cross Bronx Expressway, Skies above Britain, and Space Empires: All Good Things on P500.

There have been TWO Presidents since I put Mr. President on P500, and it has been one of the most demanded games. That said, I can imagine that the years of 2016-2020 made them rethink some of the design... :P They probably had to add an entire "Angry Tweet" mechanic.

Skies above Britain excites me, because it takes things from the Allied perspective. My grandfather was, briefly, a B52 crew member. Thankfully, he was grounded due to hearing loss, or - given the survival rate of B52 crews - he may not have made it home. I just never connected with the others, where you were playing as the Axis pilots.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I respectfully suggest that you have his assigned airframe incorrect, as the B-52 is a jet aircraft first flown in 1952.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Maybe he meant his grandfather was in the band the B 52s?

Tin..ROOF
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:17 pm I respectfully suggest that you have his assigned airframe incorrect, as the B-52 is a jet aircraft first flown in 1952.
Look, I studied 14th-century boats for a living. Your new fangled technology is sorcery.

Yeah, I have no idea what the bomber was named. Whatever the US used to pound the crap out of Germany in the war - that was it.

EDIT: Maybe a B-17 or B-25? I don't know, they are all gone.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't forget the B-29!

Although they were not, strictly speaking, "above Britain"
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

B-17 Flying Fortress rings a bell. I'll check with my mom, she has his medals and stuff. But for the most part he got demoted due to deafness and was a PfC in Mess Halls serving the airmen.

My great uncle, however, was much more in line with a game from Compass Games and not GMT. He served on a PT boat in the Pacific (Devil Boats). His was blown up and he was injured.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:32 pm Hoplomachus: Victorum just got pushed from next month to next year, February most likely. What's particularly frustrating is that it wasn't shipping woes, but a manufacturing error. :grund:

A bit disappointing since I've largely quit gaming in the past month because I was sort of holding out for it. Guess it's back to the backlog for me!
I was looking forward to this one quite a bit, so yesterday's message about the delay was a tough one. I guess it will give me time to dive into Burncycle, since I've not even played it, other than the tutorial mission.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

They seemed to indicate that it may be February for their Hoplomachus retail release, but maybe earlier for the backers. Who knows, I just feel bad they won’t get to benefit from holiday sales boosts. They said they may lose hundreds of thousands due to that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And shipping notice received for Chronicles of Drunagor wave 1. I’m eyeing the minis for DUN too.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:54 am And shipping notice received for Chronicles of Drunagor wave 1. I’m eyeing the minis for DUN too.
Who is the carrier?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

FedEx by way of Shipstation.

I just got the estimated delivery date. Should be here by Tuesday.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good to know. I'm signed up for FedEx notifications so I'll keep watching. Good to know they've started, at least. Maybe I'll actually get it before October...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Crap, just realized that the player mats aren't included in the stretch rewards box. They were an add on. That kind of sucks. I love cube placement games, but hate the fact that they get knocked around easily during a game. I assumed that the "deluxe player boards" they mentioned were the plastic game trays. They are not. :(
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My 37lb box of Drunagor loot has shipped. Going to be difficult to figure out where the hell to put it all in my collection, but I guess that's half the fun.

I didn't really like Terraforming Mars as a board game, but convert it to a dice chucker? Maybe...

Zarathud

Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by Zarathud »

You can’t take away my tableau. I was surprised Roll for the Galaxy worked instead of Race for the Galaxy , but I would always rather play Terraforming Mars.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:49 pm My 37lb box of Drunagor loot has shipped.
What did you back? My hero pledge reprint is only about 17 pounds. I also backed the apocalypse expansion but that isn’t shipping until wave 2.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Reprint, All in Age of Darkness (for this wave). It's...uh...a lot of stuff. Might have been a good idea, might have been a bad one. I blame my Night Person. :?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel like an inadequate loser in the face of your gaming machismo. :(
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am looking at my spreadsheet of pending deliveries and wondering WTF I was thinking, so don't feel bad. It's been a weird 2+ years and apparently I was using KS and Gamefound as therapy? I really don't even know anymore.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And I just got the shipping notice for John Company. I took a look at the updated rulebook recently. 48 pages. Oof.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you didn't get the metal coins I'm going to genuinely ask if your heart is even in this anymore.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I did not. I rarely get the metal coins or similar bling unless it’s something I REALLY love (like the updated, deluxe version of Robinson Crusoe I spent WAY too much on a while ago…which still hasn’t shipped). And I only get play-mats if they actually serve a purpose in the game.

I’m looking forward to John Company as it has a lot of fans, and it’s nothing like anything I currently have. I just need to watch a few tutorials.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:And I only get play-mats if they actually serve a purpose in the game.
A purpose like…sitting on the table?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Smoove_B wrote:... I'm going to genuinely ask if your heart is even in this anymore.
I can tell you that my heart isn't..temporarily. I'm in the midst of one of my infrequent board gaming slumps. Nothing appeals to me, and even some games I bought but haven't even played are gathering dust. I blame a combo of playing so much at GenCon combined with the disappointment of multiple Kickstarter delays. It was a bit of a 1-2 punch of oversaturation and delayed gratification that just took the wind out of my sails. In fact, the only games I've touched since the second week of August are my weekly obligatory group gaming sessions, and I've even skipped a couple of those.

However, I've learned over the years that fighting the slump only makes it worse. You just have to ride it out, and eventually that itch to play will return. I don't typically stress that much over it, as the next shiny ALWAYS comes along to break the spell and cycle me right back into full-fledged addiction. It's just a waiting game at this point. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:25 pm
hepcat wrote:And I only get play-mats if they actually serve a purpose in the game.
A purpose like…sitting on the table?
Like having spaces to help me organize the cards when the game doesn’t come with an actual board. Aeon’s End has a great play-mat because it helps me keep things in an orderly fashion.

The play-mats that are just art on a neoprene mat that prevents cards from sliding around don’t appeal to me.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can tell you that my heart isn't..temporarily. I'm in the midst of one of my infrequent board gaming slumps.
Yeah, I'm right there with you. I'm trying to get motivated to paint, but can't. Same with setting up solo board gaming. I have the new X-Men stand alone expansion for Marvel Champions coming - something I've wanted for years; maybe that'll break the slump. I'm also dipping my toe into solo RPGing to try and mix things up.

But yes. crowdfunding games? I've genuinely lost a lot of interest in the whole process. It's definitely the lag between backing and arrival. I'm getting games now that I was interested in playing 2 years ago. Now? I'm not sure anymore. But then I see a game with 60 dice and I get twitchy...
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:43 pm I am looking at my spreadsheet of pending deliveries and wondering WTF I was thinking, so don't feel bad. It's been a weird 2+ years and apparently I was using KS and Gamefound as therapy? I really don't even know anymore.
This is me. I think their is this weird subconscious thing for me about backing games on crowdfunding to give myself something tangible in the future to look forward to (when the world seems to always have such an uncertain future). I usually get excited when I get a big box, but then overwhelmed about the prospect of actually playing it. Dungeon Universalis is a great example - I was so excited to receive it, but just get tired when I think about playing it. I feel sort of the same about the upcoming ISS Vanguard.

Some games are also disappointing, which is hard to swallow after a two year wait. For example, Perserverance: The Castaway Chronicles really took the wind out of my sails. It is two games in one, but both are sort of "meh." And it is so over produced that it is too big and heavy to sell and ship.

I was able to resist Chronicles of Drunagor because I have so many damn dungeon crawls. With DUN and Core Space, I just couldn't justify the high cost. Overall, I am glad I resisted.

That said, some things are genuinely exciting to me. I am looking forward to Hoplomachus, no matter when. I just got my copy of the Obsession reprint and I know my wife and I will love it. CMON's He-Man game will be fun, if only to provide me with a ton of minis to paint where the characters mean something to me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:31 am I was able to resist Chronicles of Drunagor because I have so many damn dungeon crawls. With DUN and Core Space, I just couldn't justify the high cost. Overall, I am glad I resisted.
I just buy whatever Smoove tells me to buy. *

*Except for the Hexplore It series.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Covfefe!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:16 pm I rarely get the metal coins or similar bling unless it’s something I REALLY love (like the updated, deluxe version of Robinson Crusoe I spent WAY too much on a while ago…which still hasn’t shipped).
Robinson Crusoe is the only game I'm waiting on. I've wanted to play it so badly, I almost bought the basic original game twice since I Kickstarted the deluxe version! Somehow I managed to say no to myself.

So...here I sit still waiting on it to arrive. Next spring???
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Portal is notorious for delays, I've discovered. I'm also waiting on the deluxe version of 51st State. I'm not going to try to guess when either will be done.

It's really worth it though. Did you get the Mystery Tales expansion with it? That elevates it to almost perfect status for me. :wub:
Covfefe!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:57 am Portal is notorious for delays, I've discovered. I'm also waiting on the deluxe version of 51st State. I'm not going to try to guess when either will be done.

It's really worth it though. Did you get the Mystery Tales expansion with it? That elevates it to almost perfect status for me. :wub:
I don't remember if I ordered the MT expansion or not.

Is Portal the game's producer or the shipping company?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The developer. I'm not sure who's shipping it. But the issue is with the developer as they've hit delay after delay in getting the scenario book ready, as well as a few other things. They've issued more than a few apologies over the delays, so they're aware they're behind schedule by quite a bit.

You can order the Mystery Tales expansion via amazon or any retail site if you didn't get it. I highly recommend it though if you didn't.
Covfefe!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hepcat wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:21 am The developer. I'm not sure who's shipping it. But the issue is with the developer as they've hit delay after delay in getting the scenario book ready, as well as a few other things. They've issued more than a few apologies over the delays, so they're aware they're behind schedule by quite a bit.

You can order the Mystery Tales expansion via amazon or any retail site if you didn't get it. I highly recommend it though if you didn't.
I'll have to wait until I get my game. Don't remember if I ordered MT. I tried (briefly and shallowly) to access my KS order. It said the KS was closed. Didn't try any further than that.