Blood Meridian by Comac McCarthy

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Blood Meridian by Comac McCarthy

Post by McNutt »

I just finished Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. I don't know that any book has ever affected me so much. It was not initially a page turner and I set it down for weeks at a time. I had a hard time with the unique story style. Who is the protagonist? Am I supposed to be rooting for anyone here?

Eventually I really got into the story and it took me to lows I didn't think a book could manage. It was like reading a novelization of hell. I can't stop thinking about this book or the characters.

I've only read two of McCarthy's books with the other being The Road. I've seen the film versions of All the Pretty Horses and No Country for Old Men and I'm realizing that his stories are definitely my cup of tea. I know that I will eventually read every one of his books.

Jesus Christ, that book fucked with me. It might replace Shogun as the best book I've ever read.
Smoove_B

Re: Blood Meridian by Comac McCarthy

Post by Smoove_B »

I had a really difficult time with The Road. Not the topic, but his writing style. I eventually muscled my way through it, but I do remember it being a bit of a struggle. I'm not sure if his writing style was specific for that book (an intentional choice) or if all his books are written in the same...odd way.

Regardless, I really liked The Road and your recommendation here has me interested, I'm just not sure if I have the mental fortitude to parse his prose.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Apparently they are trying to make a movie of this but it is...problematic.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ages ago, ages - I tried to read All the Pretty Horses and just couldn't get into it. I should maybe look at it again. This made me remember that it existed.
Last edited by Unagi on Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:19 pm I had a really difficult time with The Road. Not the topic, but his writing style. I eventually muscled my way through it, but I do remember it being a bit of a struggle. I'm not sure if his writing style was specific for that book (an intentional choice) or if all his books are written in the same...odd way.

Regardless, I really liked The Road and your recommendation here has me interested, I'm just not sure if I have the mental fortitude to parse his prose.
That's pretty much his style all the time. I think he's releasing two companion books this year (or maybe he already released them)?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

If you are reading a book for pleasure, and find you are not enjoying it, then , ya know, stop.

In the words of Nancy Pearl, one of the greatestest of all librarians "If a reader is under 50 years old, then consume 50 pages before dropping a book. If a reader is over 50 years old, take the number 100, subtract your age, and this is the number of pages to read before switching to the next book"
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

The Judge from Blood Meridian is one of my all-time favorite antagonists. Turns out, he’s based on a purportedly real person.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

After reading/listening to No Country for Old Men I was left perplexed in the way a good book can do......really has made rewatching the movie a treat.
The reader of the audio book is outstanding