[Movie] Rob Zombie’s ‘The Munsters’

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stimpy

Re: [Movie] Rob Zombie’s ‘The Munsters’

Post by stimpy »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:26 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:20 pm Well, I hope things work out better for her career in the long term.
What is she, 70-something now? The long term is behind her; Elvira had two great talents, and acting wasn't either of them. But good on her for still making paychecks.
I doubt there was enough in the budget to cover the cost of the amount of tape and wire it would have taken to prop those 71 year old puppies up.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I highly recommend Cassandra Peterson's autobiography, "Yours Cruelly, Elvira." She led a fascinating life.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I met her at a horror convention years ago. She's a sweet, wickedly funny woman. Sure, she got her foot in the door thanks to her sex appeal, but at that time (and to some extent, today) what other options did she have? But she certainly didn't remain so popular for so long by being just a pair of boobs.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Re: THE MUNSTERS -

About 15 minutes in, I flipped from anticipatory hate-watching to realizing that this was no wackier/cornier than any number of Halloween-themed kid movies that come out every year. And once that mindset change happened, I actually started enjoying it.

I'm still not over "The Moon" about Sheri Moon Zombie's casting, as I felt like she was just doing an over the top impersonation of Lily Munster. By contrast, Jeff Daniel Phillips' Herman shares some traces of the original but is largely his own character, and Daniel Roebuck's Grandpa is an actual *good* impression of the original.

The movie's also nice to look at, with color popping in nearly every scene. If it couldn't be black and white, I guess leaning into making it as colorful as possible was the right call.

It's still narratively a mess - I thought they could have done a much better job of setting up the characters for those not familiar with the source material, and the 20-minute TV episode plotline feels exhaustingly overlong when stretched to 2 hours.

Still, all in all, can we say this is really any worse than other TV-to-movie adaptations like The Flintstones? Surprisingly, I come down on the side of "it's a bit of mostly harmless fun." I think the kids are going to love it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We have a winner, folks!

I think as a kid's movie, it might be fun for children. But I was hoping that the AV Club's review insinuating that it was actually funny for adults would be true. But at least for me, it was not.

Of course, I doubt I would even make it 12 minutes into a Flintstones live action movie.
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I made it about 15 minutes. Weird graphics/photography.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I made it about halfway thru last night.
I'll probably finish it up tonight, but yeah.......I think they could have done a much better job with the character delevelopment.
Herman going from a bandaged blob, who cant utter a single word, to rock superstar in 5 minutes was more than a bit jarring.
Grandpa was fine. Lilly.......eh.

Havent gotten far enough to know if there is an Eddie or Marilyn yet, but I doubt that will matter in the least.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:47 pm I made it about 15 minutes. Weird graphics/photography.
You always have to one up me, don’t you. Now I have to go back and watch 4 more minutes.
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, did it get any better?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I must say that the more I watched it, the more annoying Sherry Moon's Lilly got. She's obviously trying to mimic the character with the voice and hands always up in the air, but it's so over the top as to be distracting. There's a fine line between impersonation and caricature, and she crossed it.

I feel like I'm always bashing her performances which makes me feel bad as I'm sure she's a nice person.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:52 pm Well, did it get any better?
No...no it did not.

But, and not because I want you to feel bad that you lost this contest, I did actually go back and finish it while doing something else. The few times I'd look at the screen, I would cringe if it had Sherry Moon doing her god awful Lilly impersonation. I'm sure she's a lovely person, to issue the same caveat as YK....but god she's awful.
He won. Period.