Weird West

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

RM2

Weird West

Post by RM2 »

Anyone try this? Reviews seem a little up and d own but generally very favorable. I am considering giving this game a shot.
LordMortis

Re: Weird West

Post by LordMortis »

Looks interesting. Is it a Diablo like? It doesn't look like it has huge mobs, so maybe not.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I only found out about it today when I happened to open Steam.

I've added it to my wishlist. Though I will wait for a sale, it looks like something I'd enjoy. So I'm in (with a sale).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Looks more like a real-time RPG.

Though I'd probably get more out of the video if I turned on the sound.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
RM2

Post by RM2 »

So I went ahead and got this. Downloading now. Post an impression once I have one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been watching it. I'm a big fan of the genre (weird west, that is, rather than the game's genre.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's on gamepass!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

Gamespot review:

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've played about an hour and it's interesting. Kind of like Diablo crossed with Desperados 3. I'm going to keep at it and see where it goes. I've only completed the first real mission and some bounties. I've got a couple 2 star weapons already and the choices can be interesting.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

How well does it use the old west setting?
RM2

Post by RM2 »

This is a positive review https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/weird-west-review. I have not yet played enough to form a reliable opinion. So far seems OK.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I mean I am not a wild west fanatic or anything so my view is not going to reflect that and it is definitely weird west. Yes, it has revolvers as a featured weapon and horses for transportation. It also has spoilery spoiler things that I shouldn't mention that make things weird so it's not really meant to reflect the actual american old west.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:37 am I mean I am not a wild west fanatic or anything so my view is not going to reflect that and it is definitely weird west. Yes, it has revolvers as a featured weapon and horses for transportation. It also has spoilery spoiler things that I shouldn't mention that make things weird so it's not really meant to reflect the actual american old west.
Fair enough. I was mostly trying to figure out if it played off of the western tropes or just used them as a skin.

And the spoilery things are why it appeals to me. Weird West is an established genre. TV shows, films, video games, tabletop games, comics (they're even doing a Sixth Gun TV series), etc.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've only played 20 minutes but initial impressions are positive. I like the aesthetic, and the comparison to Desperados is spot-on. Definitely has that feel. I also died in my first real gunfight so the challenge level seems good. Feels like one of those games you're going to want to choose your battles carefully.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Stealth is effective and mostly makes sense, but shotguns have their place too! :D

I've unlocked some skills but haven't seen how to "equip" them yet. There is one I've purchased that silences the next rifle shot and has it do +200% damage which would be awesome, but no idea how to use it.

Throwing dynamite or a molotov is fun and there are TNT and poison barrels sitting around that can be used to amp up the fun factor.

When things go loud you want to be in cover. Sometimes I can shoot over cover and sometimes I can't. I haven't figured out the rules there yet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ok a couple more hours in. I'm really loving it so far.

There is a bit of a learning curve, as the game doesn't do a terribly good job of showing you everything. While there are tutorial tips that pop up, I had to look up how to find buried treasure stashes, and it took some experimentation to figure out how to use abilities. It's not a *steep* learning curve, but it takes a bit to get in the groove of the game and figure out the general flow.

It seems very open-ended so far in terms of how you approach things. They say even key story characters can die, and the game doesn't really seem to care whether you use stealth, kill randomly, act good, act evil, etc. There are penalties to doing blatant criminal acts, however, as if you're caught you can get thrown in jail and have to pay stiff fines or reputation costs to get out.

I'm going to put the following (non story-related) item in spoiler tags because it gives away a kind of neat mechanic that you may have more fun discovering on your own. It's probably mentioned in reviews, but just to be safe:
Spoiler:
One cool thing is that if you kill a bounty, their henchmen may come after you for revenge and hit you in random encounters while you're traveling. Even better, if you capture a bounty and send them to jail, they may hunt you down when they get out.

On the other hand, rescuing prisoners can make them "friends for life" that may show up in your hour of need to help you in a tough fight.
There's a lot of fun to be had in just interacting with the environments. Barrels can be pushed over to set up flammable or electrocutable environments for enemies. Almost every barrel and shelf has stuff to find that can be sold for cash (though money still feels precious and hard to come by - stuff sells cheap but items are expensive).

Combat feels a lot like a faster-paced Desperados. You'll spend a lot of time watching fields of view to figure out the perfect time to strike, and stealth is definitely the safer option. But if you're good at using cover, straight-up firefights are a ton of fun as well.

If I have any concerns so far, it's the possibility that the travel/quest/travel mechanic may start to feel redundant. However, I think the freedom you have in doing what you want (side quests, bounties, main quest, or just run around to make money or do stuff to upgrade your gear) will allow you to alleviate that if you choose.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I am currently running my group through Deadlands for Savage Worlds so my friend gifted this game to me yesterday. Haven't played it a lot yet as I'm working through Tiny Tina
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I am currently running my group through Deadlands for Savage Worlds so my friend gifted this game to me yesterday. Haven't played it a lot yet as I'm working through Tiny Tina

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished it. I would guess it was around 20 hours but not sure how to check. I've already uninstalled it so I can't see what my save says, oops.

I'd say it was worth playing. The story was interesting, if a bit lacking in surprises. There were a few challenging moments. Biggest challenge was managing inventory and really, the junk was worth so little it would have been a lot less frustrating to take a couple more bounties rather than pick up another 300 spoons. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:shock: Good lord, it came out like 12 minutes ago! I’m convinced you’ve developed the ability to play video games while you sleep.
He won. Period.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:55 pm Finished it. I would guess it was around 20 hours but not sure how to check. I've already uninstalled it so I can't see what my save says, oops.

I'd say it was worth playing. The story was interesting, if a bit lacking in surprises. There were a few challenging moments. Biggest challenge was managing inventory and really, the junk was worth so little it would have been a lot less frustrating to take a couple more bounties rather than pick up another 300 spoons. :P
Did you finish in 20 hours because you got hooked or ?? I mean that was quick. I installed in played about 30 minutes but it hasn't hooked me yet.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scoop20906 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:46 pm
coopasonic wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:55 pm Finished it. I would guess it was around 20 hours but not sure how to check. I've already uninstalled it so I can't see what my save says, oops.

Did you finish in 20 hours because you got hooked or ?? I mean that was quick. I installed in played about 30 minutes but it hasn't hooked me yet.
That's just how I game. I wouldn't call it obsessive, but its along those lines.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Finished up the opening Bounty Hunter part of the story and was immediately taken to the next chapter(?) where I play as a Pigman. One of my quests is to recruit the Bounty Hunter as support. Good game.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jolor wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:21 pm Finished up the opening Bounty Hunter part of the story and was immediately taken to the next chapter(?) where I play as a Pigman. One of my quests is to recruit the Bounty Hunter as support. Good game.
As soon as I could, I ran straight to get her before they even had a chance to suggest it. You get he and you get all the stuff she was carrying at the time. Also when you get the horse again (assuming you got on with the bounty hunter), anything you left in the saddlebags is still there. It's really pretty cool.

Also spend your upgrade thingies, you get lots of them and the character keeps the skills when you get them as companions.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Also spend your upgrade thingies, you get lots of them and the character keeps the skills when you get them as companions.
True for your golden ace Perks, which is great. You also get a new, unique set of Character Abilities, though the weapon ability tree is the same.

edit = I guess a good strategy would be to put some starred weapons into the bank vault for the next character and posse.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Ok, I switched from a controller over the mouse and keyboard and mapped tactical mode and I am starting to get into the game. Starting to wonder how my choices affect the future (which is a good thing).
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm in the third act and still enjoying it quite a bit. You could make the argument it gets a little repetitive at times, but I like the stealth/combat mix enough that it doesn't bother me too much.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Well that was ridiculously fun.
RM2

Post by RM2 »

Some news on this game that I was not aware of until seeing this today

https://www.trueachievements.com/n49456 ... ree-update
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Excellent, thanks! I grabbed it on gamepass on the PC and played a little right after release, but Elden Ring still has its claws on my so I haven't gone back for very long. I'll definitely fire it back up after the update though! The game reminds me of Commandos and that's more than enough. Toss in the excellent theme (weird west is a favorite of mine) and it's a no brainer for me.
He won. Period.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Is anyone still playing who can comment on the new content?
RM2

Post by RM2 »

I started a new game yesterday but haven't made enough progress yet to offer an opinion. Targeting with pistol seems better but maybe that's just my impression.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

50% off on Steam right now.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Bought it during the Steam sale. Am having a blast. The thing I like about it is that the load times are so quick and the save system so good that I can play it in 10-minute chunks and not feel like I spent more time waiting than playing. And resuming the game takes place right where I left off.