Ukraine

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Ukraine

Post by LordMortis »

Just read a piece that said it will take a week for Nord Stream 2 to empty and the methane in the area will prevent ships from entering the local seas in that time. :shock: Sweden, Poland, and Denmark have to be even more pissed than everyone else.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy ... 022-09-27/

I wonder what the effect will be on the marine life.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:46 pm
Chraolic wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:44 pm Besides, seismographs apparently picked up two underwater explosions, so someone must have wanted it to happen.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/nord-stre ... -1.6597069
CNBC reports talk about the explosions and that is seems like bombing but that it also doesn't make sense to bomb.
It's the seismograph results. I don't know if they'd be able to tell the difference between bombing or pipeline rupturing without someone going and looking at it. That is why this is the stuff of dreams for conspiracy folks.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Guys. The people have spoken. One thing I know about democracy is that everyone having the same opinion means it's strong!

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Oh man, do I feel silly. I guess we and Ukraine can call off the war then.

Plus it's all moot anyway, since Russia itself is on the cusp of joining the Netherlands.

Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In other breaking news, 0.77% of the citizenry of Donetsk have perished in window-related mishaps.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:40 pm Just read a piece that said it will take a week for Nord Stream 2 to empty and the methane in the area will prevent ships from entering the local seas in that time. :shock: Sweden, Poland, and Denmark have to be even more pissed than everyone else.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy ... 022-09-27/

I wonder what the effect will be on the marine life.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:20 pm In other breaking news, 0.77% of the citizenry of Donetsk have perished in window-related mishaps.
I'm always curious, for sham elections, about how they settle on the exact percentage of yes votes. Like obviously they can't do 100%, because everyone intuitively understands that you can't get a large group of people to have a uniform opinion on literally anything, and also because it's easily disproven by finding even one actual person willing to say that they voted no.

But like, why 99.23% and not 99.27% or 98.97?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Benford's Law
Benford's law has been used as evidence of fraud in the 2009 Iranian elections. An analysis by Mebane found that the second digits in vote counts for President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the winner of the election, tended to differ significantly from the expectations of Benford's law, and that the ballot boxes with very few invalid ballots had a greater influence on the results, suggesting widespread ballot stuffing. Another study used bootstrap simulations to find that the candidate Mehdi Karroubi received almost twice as many vote counts beginning with the digit 7 as would be expected according to Benford's law
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given the properties of water, I wonder if one pipeline bursting explosively could create enough of a pressure wave to cause another that was already under pressure to similarly burst.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:07 pm Benford's Law
Benford's law has been used as evidence of fraud in the 2009 Iranian elections. An analysis by Mebane found that the second digits in vote counts for President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the winner of the election, tended to differ significantly from the expectations of Benford's law, and that the ballot boxes with very few invalid ballots had a greater influence on the results, suggesting widespread ballot stuffing. Another study used bootstrap simulations to find that the candidate Mehdi Karroubi received almost twice as many vote counts beginning with the digit 7 as would be expected according to Benford's law
That's a little different, since the Iranian elections aren't complete frauds. People do vote, and those votes are counted, it's just that authorities put their thumbs on the scale as needed in a few spots to make sure that their preferred candidates win. I'm talking more about elections like the secessionist region referenda, or for reelection of like Putin or Saddam Hussein or the like, where there isn't much pretense at all about actually voting.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

People make up fake numbers, and the human brain is bad at being random. Ergo, numbers look fishy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:13 pm Given the properties of water, I wonder if one pipeline bursting explosively could create enough of a pressure wave to cause another that was already under pressure to similarly burst.
Right not sure about that either. The authorities are saying sabotage pretty uniformly now. I don't know what that is based on. I did read that pressure readings were higher than normal but nowhere near dangerous levels when they failed.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

If we are talking about one single pipeline, I would think that one natural explosion would relieve all pressure and there wouldn’t be multiple breaches at complete different parts of the pipeline.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm conspiracy theorycrafting a Russian false flag operation that they'll blame on Ukraine, aimed at undermining EU support for Ukraine going into winter by further exacerbating energy shortages. :coffee:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:13 am I'm conspiracy theorycrafting a Russian false flag operation that they'll blame on Ukraine, aimed at undermining EU support for Ukraine going into winter by further exacerbating energy shortages. :coffee:
I don't think that many people would be willing to accept Ukrainian blame for this, even if there were some proof that they were responsible.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Unagi wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:11 am If we are talking about one single pipeline, I would think that one natural explosion would relieve all pressure and there wouldn’t be multiple breaches at complete different parts of the pipeline.
Comments earlier led me to believe that we were talking about several pipelines. The rest is just supposition - I don't know if they run together or miles apart, for instance.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:27 am
Unagi wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:11 am If we are talking about one single pipeline, I would think that one natural explosion would relieve all pressure and there wouldn’t be multiple breaches at complete different parts of the pipeline.
Comments earlier led me to believe that we were talking about several pipelines. The rest is just supposition - I don't know if they run together or miles apart, for instance.

Yea, I wasn't correcting you. I have no idea myself.

I'll let malchior sweep in and tell us the exact make-up of the pipeline and how many different 'lines' there may be.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:26 am
Max Peck wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:13 am I'm conspiracy theorycrafting a Russian false flag operation that they'll blame on Ukraine, aimed at undermining EU support for Ukraine going into winter by further exacerbating energy shortages. :coffee:
I don't think that many people would be willing to accept Ukrainian blame for this, even if there were some proof that they were responsible.
A good 40% of Americans would likely accept it, even with no proof at all. Well, OK, maybe they're more likely to blame the US government for now, but they'd switch gears without missing a beat as soon as Tucker gave them the nod.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:35 pm
Spoilers, please? People don't always have the time to watch a ten minute video to get get the 10 seconds worth of info that they 'teased' in the title.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its really about the entire video not just the title...but the soldiers kept asking where are the Nazis???
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:21 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:35 pm
Spoilers, please? People don't always have the time to watch a ten minute video to get get the 10 seconds worth of info that they 'teased' in the title.
Spoiler:
The Nazis, the Nazis - they always asked "Where are the Nazis?"
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is in response to the fraudulent referenda and the annexation plan.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A federal grand jury has returned an indictment charging Anna Gabrielian, age 36, and her husband, Jamie Lee Henry, age 39, both of Rockville, Maryland, with conspiracy and for the disclosure of individually identifiable health information (“IIHI”), related to their efforts to assist Russia in connection with the conflict in Ukraine. The indictment was returned on September 28, 2022 and unsealed today upon the arrest of the defendants.
According to the eight-count indictment, Gabrielian and Henry conspired to cause harm to the United States by providing confidential health information of Americans associated with the United States government and military to Russia. Specifically, the indictment alleges that beginning on August 17, 2022, Gabrielian and Henry conspired to provide IIHI related to patients at Medical Institution 1 and at Fort Bragg to an individual they believed to be working for the Russian government in order to demonstrate the level of Gabrielian’s and Henry’s access to IIHI of Americans; their willingness to provide IIHI to the Russian government; and the potential for the Russian government to gain insights into the medical conditions of individuals associated with the United States government and military in order to exploit this information.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-md/pr/majo ... -allegedly
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Weird and maybe irrelevant twist: Jamie isn't Anna's husband, but her wife. Jamie is trans.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:44 am This is in response to the fraudulent referenda and the annexation plan.

This is really bad timing. 3,000 to 5,000 Russians are all but encircled in Lyman, with the last road out under Ukrainian artillery fire. An annexation announcement followed by the surrender and capture of several thousand Russian troops will make this look like a move of desperation. Lincoln at least waited until he had sort of a victory at Antietam before making the Emancipation Proclamation.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

There are more sanctions? I'd've thought we were already at max sanction.
Brian

Post by Brian »

We looked around and found a little bit more sanction hidden behind a hat box in the closet.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:31 am There are more sanctions? I'd've thought we were already at max sanction.
I was under the impression that anything still on the table was too difficult for the community to endure. Like Russian natural gas.

Somewhere/somehow , I feel like the pipeline explosion was an effort to impose a natural gas embargo on Russia whether ‘the West’ could stomach it or not.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:17 am Somewhere/somehow , I feel like the pipeline explosion was an effort to impose a natural gas embargo on Russia whether ‘the West’ could stomach it or not.
It has to be considered. I don't feel that way but I won't ignore it as a possibility. There are multiple interests that could bad actors, not matter how unlikely.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:31 am There are more sanctions? I'd've thought we were already at max sanction.

Still lots of room for sanctions.

The EU executive earlier this week recommended that the bloc imposes more trade curbs and individual blacklistings, and moves towards - rather than adopting straightaway - a price cap for Russian sea-borne oil deliveries to third countries, mostly insured by European companies.

Sources said Russia's state-controlled diamond miner Alrosa (ALRS.MM), as well as the head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, were put forward for blacklisting - moves previously opposed by, respectively, diamond trading hub Belgium, and Hungary.

New import sanctions would cover steel and steel products, paper and timber, while exports of more tech equipment and services to Russia would be barred, they added.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Brian wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:05 am We looked around and found a little bit more sanction hidden behind a hat box in the closet.
LOL!

Pardon me, but you have a little sanction on the side of your mouth, here let me just…
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Prepare for Ludicrous Sanctions!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:29 am
Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:17 am Somewhere/somehow , I feel like the pipeline explosion was an effort to impose a natural gas embargo on Russia whether ‘the West’ could stomach it or not.
It has to be considered. I don't feel that way but I won't ignore it as a possibility. There are multiple interests that could bad actors, not matter how unlikely.
I'm very pro-Ukrainian, but they actually have the most to gain from the damage. The weakest link in receiving support against Russia is the threat of losing gas to Europe with winter coming. If the pipes are damaged, no one can get gas anyways, so the threat is irrelevant. How they could do it is another story.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Regarding Nord Stream pipes (does anyone else keep mix it up with Nordstrom or is that just me?).

From what I've read, the explosions of the pipes occurred in at least two locations that were far apart, which I guess explains why they ruled out the pressure wave suggestion upthread. There are reports that there were Russian ships in the area on the day before the leak, although NATO forces are regularly in the area, too, so both have means and opportunity, but are real shaky on motive. Meanwhile, the country with the clearest motive (Ukraine) doesn't seem to have means or opportunity. I guess countries that will now get sold the Russian gas (China? India?) likely didn't have the opportunity. Which leaves us one possibility.

Enlarge Image

One question I have: The gas leak from this is very big, possibly the biggest ever - if Russia had properly flared off the gas, would the leak be so big?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:21 amOne question I have: The gas leak from this is very big, possibly the biggest ever - if Russia had properly flared off the gas, would the leak be so big?
It wouldn't be as big but you'd still lose gas. The point of a flare off is to make sure the pipeline can't have an overpressure event. You typically wouldn't consume every last molecule of gas but enough to provide a safety margin.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

And the drop:

The Treasury Department named 14 international suppliers that assisted Russia’s military supply chains. It also imposed designations on 109 members of Russia’s State Duma and 169 members of the Federation Council of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation.

Also new on Friday is the addition of Elvira Sakhipzadovna Nabiullina, Russia’s central bank governor and a former advisor to Putin. Since 2013, she has overseen its efforts to protect the Kremlin from Western sanctions after Russia illegally seized Crimea in 2014, according to the Treasury Department.

The newly sanctioned family members are the relatives of members of Russia’s National Security Council. They include Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin’s wife and two adult children, along with Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu’s wife and adult children.

Meanwhile, the State Department will impose visa restrictions on Ochur-Suge Mongush, for a gross violation of human rights perpetrated against a Ukrainian prisoner of war and 910 individuals. The department will also impose visa restrictions on members of the Russian military, Belarusian military officials and proxies operating on behalf of the Kremlin.

What’s more, the Department of Commerce is adding 57 entities to its export controls list. It will reiterate that countries that seek to provide material support to Russia and Belarus’ defense sector are subject to penalties.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

“Meanwhile, the State Department will impose visa restrictions on Ochur-Suge Mongush, for having the worst name ever for a human. Ever.”
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

If you say so, Carpet Pisser. :D