Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Skinypupy »

I played through the story campaign of Mortal Kombat 11. As someone who has completely ignored fighting games for the better part of two decades now (but who loved MK in the arcades), that was surprisingly fun. I can only get through on the easiest mode, but they told a really engaging story that was fun to rip through in a few hours (took about 4).

Doubt I'll spend any more time with it, but that was a blast.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Think I have MK X
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I noticed some Twitch streams play DnD online using a site called Roll20. Anyone used it? If not maybe it would be helpful to someone.

https://roll20.net/
Enlarge Image

These days when you cant get together to play a game you can get together online to play it.

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lots of people. Or Fantasy Grounds. Or Foundry (which I prefer.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Using it in about 2 hours from now.
I have but one advocate.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Found a fun little limited time demo, Mars First Logistics. It's kinda fun and is a very small download.
An open world physics simulation game. Build mechanised rovers and transport awkwardly shaped cargo across the surface of Mars. Earn funds, unlock new parts, and use your ingenuity to establish a new space colony! Playable solo or in online co-op!
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Demo released today for Aquatico
Aquatico is a survival city builder set within the depths of the sea. Strategically build an underwater city atop the ocean floor and face the challenges that accompany an oceanic life.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've always wanted a larger curved monitor for my gaming PC. Been on a flat 24" screen for the last few years, finally broke down and picked up one of these today.

Now that it's actually set up in my office, I'm not sure I love it. It just kinda looks...odd. :?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Give it a week.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:01 pm I've always wanted a larger curved monitor for my gaming PC. Been on a flat 24" screen for the last few years, finally broke down and picked up one of these today.

Now that it's actually set up in my office, I'm not sure I love it. It just kinda looks...odd. :?
Make sure you are sitting in the right place and it's the right distance from your face. I've had a curved 31.5" for years and I don't really even notice it anymore unless I move my chair over to the side or am looking at something on it while standing up. My work has also put in ultra-wide curved monitors and they are really nice.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:28 pm Make sure you are sitting in the right place and it's the right distance from your face.
Yeah, I think that's part of the issue. The way the stand is made, it forces the monitor to be a couple inches too close to me. It's a tripod stand and at the correct distance, the back leg would hang off the edge of the desk.

I'll see if I can jerry-rig something on the stand so it moves back to the right spot.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

What kind of desk? If you have a lip on the back, check out the various monitor arms available. We've been using these on both our desks since 2018 with no issues.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im still using a 29" flat ultrawide. Ive found myself having to scoot closer and closer to see it. Its only like 2' from my face. I checked my chair marks on the carpet and yup Ive scooted up nearly 4" lately.

My dream is a 34" curved ultrawide but I dont know if it would even fit here or how , like you, Id see it being curved. But then again it took a a day or two to get used to ultrawide.

The again it will be years before I have to worry :) When I talk about new stuff Im talking dreams. Dont anyone think Im wasting money on items. :D :mrgreen:
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Been mainly messing with Cold Waters, Mission Editor, with DotMod enabled, so there are surface vessels to play with, and it's fun throwing very different vessels together, or very lop-sided encounters. Some that I've tried:

* 1 Los Angeles class sub vs 11-15 Soviet and Chinese subs
* 1 Los Angeles class sub vs 6-10 surface ships and 3-4 submarines
* 1 Seawolf class sub vs 11-15 Soviet and Chinese subs
* 1 Iowa class battleship vs 3 Soviet Kirov class battlecruisers
* 1 Iowa class battleship vs 5 Soviet Svedlov class gun cruisers (with 12 x 155mm naval guns each)
* 1 Arleigh Burke class destroyer vs 4-7 Chinese subs
* 1 Ticonderoga cruiser vs Soviet Kirov cruiser, Kiev carrier, and Moskva helo cruiser

and many many more.

I've been playing at the lowest difficulty level, so I decided to turn it up to realistic (next to highest) to see if I had learned bad habits from playing on easy, the simple "duel" scenario (sub vs sub) and it seems I am okay. I wasted 2 torpedoes and a decoy, but managed to kill the other sub with 1 more decoy and 1 torpedo.

Fight as follows: Two civilian merchants on the surface, no contact underwater. Went ultra-quiet and basically be a hole in water. Did get a contact to north, but it fades in and out. Medium layer, strong surface duct, so that'll affect sound carrying through if he's up there. Finally got a heading and all, distance about 15 km, I was heading NW, enemy to NE. I launched my decoy E, followed by two torpedoes, below the layer (since he seems to be above the layer) then I slowly floated above the layer to keep track on him while the torpedo transited. Then I turned the torpedo toward where I thought he was... he's not there. I turned the two torpedoes parallel as search lane and started heading toward his estimated bearing. After a while, they locked on, but that means torpedo only has about 5 minutes life left. And he was dropping decoys fast and avoiding the torpedoes and eventually ran BOTH torpedoes out of juice despite my manual efforts. In the meanwhile, he had counterfired 3 torpedoes, 2 on active and one passive (sneaky!) and that passive will come VERY close to me. And if it's on snake pattern, it WILL catch me. So I launched a decoy to pre-empt it, to take it AWAY from me, while I get to the wrong side of the layer should the torpedo make some weird turns and still catches me. I also launched another torpedo but it'll be a while before it gets to the enemy sub's general area. The enemy torpedo is decoyed, no problem, and my torpedo is in the general vicinity. This time, he's below the layer (deep), I'm above the layer. My torpedo is above the layer. The range keeps fluctuating, but I have a general idea. The torpedo ran past it contact, as the range keeps changing. I had to turn back toward the target. I activated it, and it dove below the layer, locked onto something. It had to be the enemy sub. I stayed ultraquiet, even as the enemy come closer, and closer... Is this guy going to react? Then BOOM! Seems I was extra lucky... The torpedo had actually dove down on the sub in its baffles, where it has no sonar coverage, so it never even knew it was being targeted by a passive torp (I almost always use passive torps). So I've won this encounter.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:32 am Been mainly messing with Cold Waters, Mission Editor, with DotMod enabled, so there are surface vessels to play with, and it's fun throwing very different vessels together, or very lop-sided encounters.
I played a lot of Dangerous Waters back when it came out as a stand-alone, before being on Steam. Have you played it? If so, how does it compare to Cold Waters?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Cold Waters is simpler, more like Red Storm Rising back in the MicroProse days. No need to do your own TMA, count blade tempo, that sort of thing. And it's of course, full 3D and looks a bit like the Sonalyst games, but not as deep. With DotMod (free of course) you can play as surface vessels with player-controlled ASW helo. Your crew will ID bogeys as "sierras" (from sonar) and if you got ESM up and get hits, they are IDed as echos, and if they can be merged, they are "masters", automatically.

I'd say, why not watch a couple of my videos where I play a sub? You actually don't get a separate towed array button in vanilla Cold Waters, IIRC, to make things even simpler. It's pretty much only decide how to move and how to shoot (and how to evade torpedoes, if need be).

I do have Dangerous Waters, and Sub Command, AND Jane's 688(I). :)

EDIT: I started a new playlist where I replay the single player missions in Cold Waters at "realistic" difficulty (I had been playing on easy), where I also explain what I see, and how I reach the decisions I make when playing this game.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This looks interesting. There is currently a demo available on Steam.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Played the demo the other day. it is actually fun.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been going through games in my head to reinstall and give a go in my funk. I think red Faction Gorilla may be the one. Ive tried it twice and never gotten far. After the first map and the 2nd one opens up and its more of the same I usually leave.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Manor Lords looks pretty. It's the type of game that always catches my eye and then I don't play it nearly as much as I thought I would. :) I'll see how it progresses down the line.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:19 pm Ive been going through games in my head to reinstall and give a go in my funk. I think red Faction Gorilla may be the one. Ive tried it twice and never gotten far. After the first map and the 2nd one opens up and its more of the same I usually leave.
I mean, have you not been collecting all the Epic freebies?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya but none seem interesting.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Are there any games like Days Gone? My only requirements would be open world with vehicle and fast travel options.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I started playing A Plague Tale Innocence on PS5 this weekend.

It's a fantastic game that looks and plays amazing, but I think it might be the first game I can remember that is simply too intense for me. While I generally like the stealth/puzzle gameplay, I find myself feeling incredibly tense the entire time I'm playing. I find that's not really a feeling I enjoy very much. I kinda did at one point in my gaming life (I still have very fond memories of the Thief games, for example) but this one really ratchets up that tension to the point that it's mostly just uncomfortable for me to play. It feels exhausting.

Anyone else ever run into that with a game?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CoD MP against Harkonis
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:09 am CoD MP against Harkonis
+1 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Or, frankly, MP against any sentient beings.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:00 pm but this one really ratchets up that tension to the point that it's mostly just uncomfortable for me to play. It feels exhausting.

Death Stranding

now that i'm medicated, i could probably handle it
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:45 pm Are there any games like Days Gone? My only requirements would be open world with vehicle and fast travel options.
What have you played in the last couple years? :)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:32 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:00 pm but this one really ratchets up that tension to the point that it's mostly just uncomfortable for me to play. It feels exhausting.

Death Stranding

now that i'm medicated, i could probably handle it
Interesting. That one was on my list to check out.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Since today marks the 25th anniversary of #Fallout, maybe it's time we show you how we're changing the perspective of combat in @NewBlood's CRPG - and how it differs from our main inspiration.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

1. What the hell kind of foam was that? It looked like dense closed-cell foam, which doesn't flex, and landing on it with your feet would be like landing on loose rubble.
2. 2 feet deep? Who designed that? It was like having people dive into a kiddie pool
3. If you don't have enough cushioning to fully pad a landing, don't jump off of things if you don't have training on how to land, especially if you can't land on your feet on a solid surface.
4. Lenovo and/or Twitch are going to be paying some big settlements. Even signed waivers wouldn't cover blatant negligence.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

now in a period of funemployment, i am highly tempted to get Eldenring - but i should probably get through Dark Souls first.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:46 pm now in a period of funemployment, i am highly tempted to get Eldenring - but i should probably get through Dark Souls first.
Elden Ring is much better, in my somewhat hateful opinion. I've also never finished Dark Souls 1 or 2 so am not the best judge. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://torchlight.xd.com/

Open beta. had my hopes until I saw pc AND mobile. Ugh. Still might be fun..not tried.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:08 pm This looks interesting. There is currently a demo available on Steam.

How do you get the demo. I've seen a bit and am curious and dont want another EA city builder. All I see is wishlist.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:01 pm https://torchlight.xd.com/

Open beta. had my hopes until I saw pc AND mobile. Ugh. Still might be fun..not tried.
Lazypeon did a good "first impressions" on it about a month ago. Came away fairly impressed.

Looks kinda neat, although I'll admit I kinda soured on the Torchlight IP after TL3. Might give this a look at some point.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:31 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:08 pm This looks interesting. There is currently a demo available on Steam.
How do you get the demo. I've seen a bit and am curious and dont want another EA city builder. All I see is wishlist.
Thats all I see now myself and I played the demo. Strange.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:31 pm How do you get the demo. I've seen a bit and am curious and dont want another EA city builder. All I see is wishlist.
Yeah, they run time-limited demos nowadays, which honestly sucks from a consumer standpoint. "Here are 50 upcoming games you can try out this week only. Oh, you have a job and other obligations, do you? Sucks to be you, I guess.". I don't have time for that nonsense, so I mostly just check them out on Youtube when I do have time.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Chraolic wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:02 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:31 pm How do you get the demo. I've seen a bit and am curious and dont want another EA city builder. All I see is wishlist.
Yeah, they run time-limited demos nowadays, which honestly sucks from a consumer standpoint. "Here are 50 upcoming games you can try out this week only. Oh, you have a job and other obligations, do you? Sucks to be you, I guess.". I don't have time for that nonsense, so I mostly just check them out on Youtube when I do have time.
I've become rather cynical on these time-limited demos. Since the game will mostly likely be going into Early Access for heaven knows how long, the demo is unlikely to be anywhere near what the game will be like. And since I've sworn off Early Access as well (mostly :roll:) it might be years before I'll get the game and therefore playing the demo now is pretty pointless. But that's just me :D