Dreams - loosing teeth

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Dreams - loosing teeth

Post by McNutt »

I read somewhere that the most common adult nightmare is that your teeth are falling out. I found this interesting because I had never had that dream. Until last night.

In my dream I went to the sink to get some water and spit out some teeth. I looked in the mirror and saw that many teeth were missing and my front teeth were severely chipped as though there was some trauma. I did not remember any injury, so it was a surprise.

The weirdest thing is that in my dream I wasn’t freaking out, but had a “well, that’s weird” attitude. I would not classify this as a nightmare.

Is loosing teeth a common nightmare with any of you?
msteelers

Re: Dreams - loosing teeth

Post by msteelers »

I’ve had that dream a few times. I also have dreams where I lose all my fingernails.

I have no idea what it means, but they are slightly less annoying than dreaming about work all night.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've never had this nor heard of it, but if I have this nightmare tonight I'm blaming you.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've had nightmares about losing my hair, but never my teeth. Of course, I have a bit of a bald spot on the crown of my head these days, so now it's a waking nightmare. :(
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:10 am I've never had this nor heard of it, but if I have this nightmare tonight I'm blaming you.
Total fricking +1
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I used to get the teeth falling out dream all the time. I always assumed it had to do teeth grinding while I sleep, causing my dreams to react to stimulus in my mouth. It was also never a nightmare for me. Just a think "hey look at that, meh" thing.

Dreaming about work is the 2nd worst. I still dream about 2 jobs I've held. No idea why it's only two. The last job I held and a clerking/stocking, etc... at 7-11 in my early 20s. Now that I've stopped working, I seem to have finally stopped dreaming about being in school/college, which I dreamed about a lot even into the coming of my 50s.

The worst is dreaming I am still part of being a past couple that ended badly where I wake up and find myself expending energy on "get over it, already unconscious mind." Ironically, I don't mind dreaming about dead people I've cared for or being part of a couple that didn't end badly. They remind of good memories and even the sadness on being reminded of loss has a warmth to it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats my reality. I never dreamed Id lose my teeth. I was proud I had them all and took care of them and saw the dentist. But I started losing them in my mid 30s and by the time I hit 48 they were gone.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Was it a medical condition that caused your teeth to fall out?
Covfefe!
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I get the teeth dream sometimes. But for me they don't fall out, they crumble, and I am spitting out tiny teeth bits.

Not a pleasant dream.

A dark song for dark dreams
Spoiler:
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Never had one about my teeth falling out, but I have had dreams where I grind my teeth so hard I break them (in my dream).

I wonder if I'm grinding my teeth for real while I sleep when having these dreams. But I do sleep with a mouth guard (anti snore) so no chance of breaking teeth.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

I had heard about the teeth/hair dreams but never experienced them myself.

I have had two, very intense, very cinematic dreams based on Alien/Aliens that had me waking up in a near terror state.

On the other hand, I have also had a Star Wars dream where a little person stole my crate full of blaster rifles and ran off so...I have no idea how to interpret dreams.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Was that before or after the Alien tattoos?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I honestly can't recall any reoccurring nightmares.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

I used to get the losing-teeth dream, but I haven't had it in a while.

I frequently get the dream where you forgot to attend a class all semester & today you have to take the exam, but (because I've been teaching for so many years) mine is that I forgot to show up and teach all semester, and today my chair/principal/dean is coming to sit in on the class. (This is scarier.)

I frequently have a dream where I lose control of a car and wind up soaring off the end of an unfinished off-ramp or bridge. The whole dream is about knowing what it will be like when I smash into the ground, but it's all in slow motion and I never get there.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:11 pm Was it a medical condition that caused your teeth to fall out?
Is that directed at me? ...If so I think it was many things.. I took liquid iron as a child due to low iron and Im told that was a part cause. Also as a child they took me and had a bunch of baby teeth removed under anesthesia for what I dont know....as I recall crowding. But then my normal teeth came in tight so I could never floss between them. Then I was a smoker from age 11 - 22 or so. And my whole life when I brushed my gums bled and would hurt. I think it all just added up as almost all problems started near the gum line.

They would fill a cavity then a year or so later that would break and Id be forced to have it pulled. With my money problems it got to costing too much for a repair then a pull and over time I stopped bothering to fix the problems and the tooth would eventually break off or apart on its own. I still have like half my teeth pulled and the other half broken out. I had infections a lot but they kinda stopped a year or two ago. I still have 3 lower front teeth that help when I eat in biting stuff like burgers and such. But they will go sooner than later.

And this is all so embarrassing I even hate talking about it. Its a BIG reason I dont have any interaction with people because it requires talking and Im sure I dont talk as well or look right. Its a big mental thing. And Ill NEVER have the money to fix that barring a big lotto win lol..which will be never.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:10 am I've never had this nor heard of it, but if I have this nightmare tonight I'm blaming you.
:text-yeahthat:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Losing. And it's typically considered a fear of aging.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

MHS wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:55 pm Losing. And it's typically considered a fear of aging.
Mine were always loosing before I pulled them out, one after another. ;) (though that might technically be loosening) Maybe even the same one several times. It's hard to say. Dreams and recollections of them get weird.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I try not to dwell on any dreams I remember. Makes them easier to forget.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I wonder what nightmares were like for people several hundred years ago.

I know that the literature of the renaissance and after describes nightmare fears of burning to death. It easy to assume that this is religious fear of hellfire, but this was also a world lit entirely by lamps and candles, and fire was never far away.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:03 pm I wonder what nightmares were like for people several hundred years ago.

I know that the literature of the renaissance and after describes nightmare fears of burning to death. It easy to assume that this is religious fear of hellfire, but this was also a world lit entirely by lamps and candles, and fire was never far away.
I would like to recommend a book to you if you've not read it before (ya never know). And I'll not be offended if it doesn't look interesting to you.

Dreaming the English Renaissance - by Carole Levin

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/dreaming- ... q=10228557

http://rorotoko.com/interview/20090306_ ... ire_court/
Brian

Post by Brian »

McNutt wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:32 pm Was that before or after the Alien tattoos?
Long before.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

I have this as a reoccurring dream. Will discover one of my teeth are loose and will just pop out. Then it turns into total stress dream.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As so many disabled/retired people have discovered, medicare does not pay dental. Sadly, I'm cursed with bad genes. No member of my family that I am aware of has kept their natural teeth past their mid-30s. I'm getting scarily close to 50, but with no dental insurance, I've got what I've got - and it isn't pretty. It's pretty much a series of patch jobs that hold everything together like a post-apocalyptic junk wall, and I still have only one and a half pairs of molars that meet - that's very little chewing surface.

I haven't had any luck finding any free options, and the reduced options I've seen aren't reduced enough for me to be able to afford them.

So, no. I don't dream about losing teeth. I make my dreams come true!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

One change that is seriously needed:

Health care / Medicare , all of it - should cover teeth and eyes.
The idea that those two are sectioned off is ridiculous. While some eye care is indeed covered, I’m talking all of it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:38 am One change that is seriously needed:

The idea that those two are sectioned off is ridiculous. While some eye care is indeed covered, I’m talking all of it.
+100
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:38 am One change that is seriously needed:

I found one plan on the ACA in my area with dental and it was otherwise much more limited than other medical plans. I am likely to lose dental with no options when I exit COBRA. Dental's divorce from the rest of health care makes little sense to me, especially given how tied oral health is to general health.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I'm getting close to retirement, so I'm making sure to get all of my dental work in while I still have coverage.
Thankfully I still have all my teeth and very few problems.
But I want to make sure that I am as proactive as possible before I bail.
Same goes for my peepers.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Brian

Post by Brian »

Teeth are, according to US healthcare, luxury bones that you have to pay extra for to continue enjoying.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:30 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:03 pm I wonder what nightmares were like for people several hundred years ago.

I would like to recommend a book to you if you've not read it before (ya never know). And I'll not be offended if it doesn't look interesting to you.

Dreaming the English Renaissance - by Carole Levin

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/dreaming- ... q=10228557

http://rorotoko.com/interview/20090306_ ... ire_court/
Thanks!

I studied English Renaissance lit in grad school, and I read some of her first book (on Elizabeth I) way back when.
telcta

Post by telcta »

I’ve always had insurance for dental and eyes. Now that I no longer work, my wife’s job doesn’t offer either and it makes me nervous because I have a lot saved up in our HSA account but I hate withdrawing from it and want to save for bigger medical issues later in life, not spending $175 for a simple teeth cleaning.

As for dreams about losing teeth, I never had those but I do have recurring dreams where my teeth are too big and I can’t close my mouth. I do not want to look anything up to find out what that means.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Dental insurance ain't great but it's better than nothing. We usually max ours out every year. It doesn't help that our dentist dropped out of the network a few years ago because their reimbursement rates are abysmal, leaving us with balances due even on cleanings, which used to be free.

At my last visit the hygienist recommended getting three cleanings a year instead of two. Does insurance cover that third visit? Nope? Then nope. I'm 65. How many more years am I going to need teeth anyway? (Insert David Crosby quote).

On topic, I've never had that nightmare or even knew it was common.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Can’t you just find a dentist within your network?
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

One look at my denture will tell you I'm living that dream....
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:25 pm Can’t you just find a dentist within your network?
My dedicated followers will remember that Wife has a bionic mouth. This is the dentist who sold it to her. She's married to him, orally speaking, and likes to give him money. He likes receiving money and finds many reasons to get more. So they're very happy together.

We're planning to move within the next year and will need all new service providers, medical and otherwise. Everything's going to be rebooted.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:17 pm At my last visit the hygienist recommended getting three cleanings a year instead of two. Does insurance cover that third visit? Nope? Then nope. I'm 65. How many more years am I going to need teeth anyway? (Insert David Crosby quote).
I pay for that additional cleaning and I think it's worth it. It sucks OOP at $160 a visit but it's still cheaper preventative maintenance than covered fillings or worse. I'm now paying for the fact that I smoked for 25 years and I want me teeth in the best shape they can be for when I have no coverage at all.

Be careful if you sign on paying for a third appointment OOP because all insurance reps will tell your visits are semi annual but oft times the verbiage is every 180 days, which is not the same thing. That means if you see the dentist 3 times a year, every other year would end up paying two of your three visits OOP failing to fit in to the 180 day cycle. I went round with my insurance rep a few years back and my provider would not budge.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:35 am I pay for that additional cleaning and I think it's worth it. It sucks OOP at $160 a visit but it's still cheaper preventative maintenance than covered fillings or worse. I'm now paying for the fact that I smoked for 25 years
You're a youngster. I hope to be safely dead before my mouth gives out. I still smoke enthusiastically.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:17 pm Dental insurance ain't great but it's better than nothing. We usually max ours out every year. It doesn't help that our dentist dropped out of the network a few years ago because their reimbursement rates are abysmal, leaving us with balances due even on cleanings, which used to be free.
My wife had a dental cleaning yesterday and found out when she showed up that her company changed dental insurance providers on her and now her dentist is out of network.

Supposedly nobody in the office knew of the change, but my wife didn't want to make a big stink over it. Luckily she just got her cleaning done, and didn't follow through with the x-rays like they wanted.
LordMortis wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:35 am
Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:17 pm At my last visit the hygienist recommended getting three cleanings a year instead of two. Does insurance cover that third visit? Nope? Then nope. I'm 65. How many more years am I going to need teeth anyway? (Insert David Crosby quote).
I pay for that additional cleaning and I think it's worth it. It sucks OOP at $160 a visit but it's still cheaper preventative maintenance than covered fillings or worse. I'm now paying for the fact that I smoked for 25 years and I want me teeth in the best shape they can be for when I have no coverage at all.
I'm also going 3-4 times a year for cleanings. I don't have dental insurance, so I pay for a "VIP membership" at my dentist. I give them a couple of hundred bucks every year, and they give me 2 free cleanings, annual x-rays, and discounts on anything else that's required (like extra cleanings, cavity fillings, and root canals).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

msteelers wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:34 am I'm also going 3-4 times a year for cleanings. I don't have dental insurance, so I pay for a "VIP membership" at my dentist. I give them a couple of hundred bucks every year, and they give me 2 free cleanings, annual x-rays, and discounts on anything else that's required (like extra cleanings, cavity fillings, and root canals).
Staying on COBRA with dental for another year, then I have to figure it out. I hope my dentist offers something like this.