Forza Horizon 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Forza Horizon 5

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:31 am Also, I completed the Seasonal Event "Winner Winner", racing against unbeatable AI :shock:. Luckily the guy racing with me was always first, since I was either seventh or last :roll:.
The Trial (the general name for the event "Winner Winner" falls under) is one of the toughest to get each season as it requires randos to work together against the highest level AI opponents. This week was MUCH easier than last week. There is an accolade for winning the Trial in each season of a series, so 4 in a row. That's... challenging.

Also against unbeatables, a good tune is pretty much a necessity. Auto upgrades don't generally help because the AI sends a car that pretty much matches the level of each competitor.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I was able to 3 star all the remaining speed traps last night other than the Temple of the Sun one. I boosted a truck I have (the Deberti F-150) up to a level someone on my friends list used to get most of them it done, and boosted a Lambo SUV for others, but I couldn't figure out a good path that would let me build up enough speed for that one particular speed trap.

Unfortunately that X5 M FE that's on a lot of leaderboards is a car I can't get without paying for the welcome pack (you can't even buy it on the auction house without paying for the welcome pack). That car isn't worth $18 to me.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Made the top 12k on the leaderboard, but Monster Hunter Rise is out and that may keep me occupied for a while. I will still try to do the seasonal stuff, but the game has started crashing pretty frequently. I may need to reinstall. :(
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This sucks, I got a $1.5 Porsche as a reward for completing all dirt races. I already have one of those, so I was going to auction it off. Turns out the max price I can ask for is $143,000. What???? :evil:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah the auction stuff is really weird. It varies wildly from car to car. I was able to sell a 2.4 million dollar car for like 1.6 million, but they would let me ask for more than 2 million for a 30 million dollar car! (I wanted the accoldae for getting more than 20 mill for a car on the auction house -- instead I now have two 30 million dollar cars)

Apparently how much you can ask also depends on your popularity from tunes and paint jobs? Like if your work has 50k downloads you can ask for a lot more money.

It is kind of ridiculous. I could really use that money as I have spent a LOT chasing accolades. I've actually gifted millions worth of cars high demand/wheelspin only cars just to get rid of them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I finally got my XBox Series X today, and I was thinking about making Forza my first game. What would you recommend for a complete noob to start?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:29 am I finally got my XBox Series X today, and I was thinking about making Forza my first game. What would you recommend for a complete noob to start?
I am not clear on what the scope of your request for recommendations is, but regardless of the question, I would recommend Gamepass. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

gbasden wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:29 am I finally got my XBox Series X today, and I was thinking about making Forza my first game. What would you recommend for a complete noob to start?
FH5 is a superb game and a great place to start. I enjoyed Halo Infinite campaign as well
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:30 am
I am not clear on what the scope of your request for recommendations is, but regardless of the question, I would recommend Gamepass. :)
Sorry, I was more asking what the best way to get started in Horizons. :) Anything I should know or just jump in?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:54 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:30 am
Sorry, I was more asking what the best way to get started in Horizons. :) Anything I should know or just jump in?
I have no idea if the original games are available in any form or how they would hold up. 5 is very much more of the same in a different location, compared to 4. The earlier games did have a much clearer sense of a story and progression.

Jumping straight into 5, don't expect too much in the way of story and try not to get overwhelmed with how fast your map gets filled up with events. There is a LOT to do and it's up to you what you take on. It's very much an open world game and it does have some form of progression, opening and expanding the different regions by doing various events. The online stuff is still kind of a mess. Generally speaking though it is totally what you make of it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Regarding this seasons new Daily Challenges, what is a Horizon Tour Event?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think it's in the online section. It's a series against other players where you actually have to drive (not really, I think you can fast travel, but there is a timer so it's fun to race there) between the races.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the info guys.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, first, on my avatar I have reset from my over 100 level to a single digit with a "1" with a star over it next to the digit. I'm assuming that means I'm over a certain level.

Next, I did a World Tour event. Not too bad, but then most of my teammates were either over 100 in level or with that 1+star symbol. Of the opposition, four were level 1 (no star). I managed to come in 4th and 2nd. On the other race I fell to the back after missing a gate and not realizing I could use rewind for several seconds :roll:. I might have to try some other online events till I get my clock cleaned a few times...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Don't miss gates in online races. Yes you can rewind but the rest of the racers keep going. Much better to not miss. :)

Also I think the first level reset is at 200. No idea if that is consistent. I am around level 108 after the first reset.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Purely as an aside, when did 'delete' become synonymous with 'uninstall?'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:16 am Purely as an aside, when did 'delete' become synonymous with 'uninstall?'
In my brain, forever. Delete came first. Uninstall is a windows-era creation and represents ez-mode deletion. Anyway sounds like a PC Gaming randomness kind of discussion. :D

On the Forza side, I spent WAYYYYY too much time playing this weekend, mostly going after accolades. I didn't check my place this morning but on my last check, I had broken into the top 7000 on the accolades leaderboard, which shows over 15 million total players. I know it is a completely useless thing, but it keeps me pushing forward. After I finished up all the Rivals stuff, then I went after all the stories stuff (I still have one that is broken) and then all the Horizon Arcade stuff (chaos events don't spawn enough, I need a lot more trailblazer stars!) and this morning started working on Horizon Tour stuff. I am at around 840k accolade points. The top players are over a million. At this stage you have to intentionally go after them as there are few that you will just hit randomly doing races and whatever you come across.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Broke into the top 5k on the Accolade leaderboard. I am getting a bit bored. I think I'm going to take a break, though I will keep doing the seasonal stuff as I'm close to getting all of the series accolades. 5 more dailies this week and one more season to max out, then I can take a *real* break. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:49 am Broke into the top 5k on the Accolade leaderboard. I am getting a bit bored. I think I'm going to take a break, though I will keep doing the seasonal stuff as I'm close to getting all of the series accolades. 5 more dailies this week and one more season to max out, then I can take a *real* break. :D
I played enough this week to get the first of the two seasonal cars. I did this week's The Trial which used IIRC S1 cars. Thankfully my blue team was matched up against newbies so we were able to win with me trailing at the back :?

I play occasionally now just to take a break from reading or other activities. Using the controller is good for exercising my hands Also playing the game keeps me awake, since I tend to fall asleep reading :roll:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:19 am I did this week's The Trial which used IIRC S1 cars. Thankfully my blue team was matched up against newbies so we were able to win with me trailing at the back :?
Just want to make sure you understand that, for The Trial and Horizon Tour, the red team is always drivatars.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:50 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:19 am I did this week's The Trial which used IIRC S1 cars. Thankfully my blue team was matched up against newbies so we were able to win with me trailing at the back :?
Just want to make sure you understand that, for The Trial and Horizon Tour, the red team is always drivatars.
Really? I've never seen the AI drive that erratically..
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Snagged my 5th win in the Eliminator. Getting a good early car drop is key and pretty luck based (there is an accolade for winning without any car drops, which sounds nuts to me).

I also hit 900k accolade points, getting me into the top 3k players on the leaderboard.

I don't know why I have yet to tire of this game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:26 pm Snagged my 5th win in the Eliminator. Getting a good early car drop is key and pretty luck based (there is an accolade for winning without any car drops, which sounds nuts to me).

I also hit 900k accolade points, getting me into the top 3k players on the leaderboard.

I don't know why I have yet to tire of this game.
I've got the same urge for Dyson Sphere Program. I even ordered a set of six different colored highlighters so I can color tint my multistage flow charts :roll:. Sometimes a game just finds that harmonic resonate point in your brain.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I beat this week's The Trial and in one race I actually placed fourth :D. I used that Welcome Pack electric Porsche, with a 10 launch so I can try to get ahead of the inevitable mayhem.

Now I'm trying to find picnic tables... where are those darn picnic tables??
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:44 pm Now I'm trying to find picnic tables... where are those darn picnic tables??
There is a set in the grass outside the stadium. I don't remember which side, just bash your way around until you see them. They are in between two of the parking lots.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:44 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:44 pm Now I'm trying to find picnic tables... where are those darn picnic tables??
There is a set in the grass outside the stadium. I don't remember which side, just bash your way around until you see them. They are in between two of the parking lots.
Thanks! Found those tables... and now I also know where to go if I need to knock around some golf carts too! :ninja:

I did a few more seasonal events and actually got the points to earn the second seasonal car :D. Haven't done that since the first series.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am 1 daily (which opens up in a little under two hours) from completing every single thing in this series, meaning every objective done for all 4 seasons. Sadly, one of the related accolades appears to be broken so I will need to keep at it.

Won another Eliminator last night. I had a pretty terrible start, but as it was closing to the final circle I challenged a level 10 with my level 5 car and won, it didn't even seem like the other driver tried, and then won the final showdown handily.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I haven't played in a few months, but the first DLC comes out today (Hot Wheels) and I snagged a steering wheel (Logitech G920) and stand on Prime Day. Only had a few minutes to mess with the steering wheel this morning and it is objectively awful. When I get a bit more time I'll be searching up settings and configurations to get it working properly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:12 am I haven't played in a few months, but the first DLC comes out today (Hot Wheels) and I snagged a steering wheel (Logitech G920) and stand on Prime Day. Only had a few minutes to mess with the steering wheel this morning and it is objectively awful. When I get a bit more time I'll be searching up settings and configurations to get it working properly.
I have a Logitech G920, I'll post some screenies of my config in an hour or so.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, this isn't good. I hooked up my G920 and fired up FH5. There seems to be something wrong. And then I remember that the last time I fired up the game I had an X360 controller active and just used that instead of going back and connecting up the G920. And now it seems that FH5 has forgotten my settings. Just to be sure it wasn't the wheel I fired up another racing game and all the settings and force feedback for the wheel are fine, so the problem is FH5. And now when I start FH5 the game just locks up, which I'm assuming has something to do with the big update today.

There is a default G920 setting in FH5, but I had tweaked it so I can't swear that one still works.

Also, just in case you didn't have enough issues, there have been some problems with G-Hub resetting itself, etc. Back a while ago I was reading an article about it and the article recommended turning off auto updates and rolling back to a previous version. This is the version I'm running and fingers crossed I haven't had any problems with it.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, FH5 is working again. I used the default G920 profile and changed it to use the brake function on the leftmost (clutch) pedal. I prefer that as I find the G920 brake pedal too hard and too close to the accel pedal. Also this way it's easier to left foot brake.

When I changed that one setting the game made me switch to a custom profile which oddly apparently cannot be renamed. However, all the other default G920 setting were kept so it's fine with me.

The force feedback is working again. These are the settings I'm using. They are pretty much the default as I never did do much in the way of tweaking them.

I forgot to mention that in G-Hub I altered the wheel travel and spring settings on the recommendations I read a while ago. I've never changed them and they seem to work for me.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Yeah I always use the left pedal for the brake the actual brake is very hard and stiff
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Reemul wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:49 pm Yeah I always use the left pedal for the brake the actual brake is very hard and stiff
I found a video showing how to take out the rubber block that makes that middle pedal a pain to use. It looks super simple if you have the allen/hex wrenches.

I made some adjustments based on a video I found which def improved things, but it is still squirrely as heck to the point that I kind of hate it. I really hope I can figure out what I am missing and get it dialed in. I'll have to compare to jzt's settings.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've found that the wheel & pedals work for me on FH5, but they don't feel as nice as they do when I play Automobilista 2. I'm not sure that it is the settings as much as the game itself. However, as I say, the G920 is fun with FH5.

I'm downloading the FH5 update as well as the new Hot Wheels content, total 25 GB. For those who wish a deeper look at what the new DLC brings, here's the news announcement via Steam, Forza Horizon 5: Hot Wheels Now Available. Here's a look at the new Hot Wheels world track.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've been playing the Hot Wheel expansion for an hour and a half and my gosh, it is just silly fun :D. Loops, magnetic tracks, flumes, power up sections and the place is pretty big. And you aren't restricted to the orange track, you can go off-road and in fact some races switch back and forth. I can see myself putting in a few more hours easily.

By the way, be aware that in FH5, if you are using a wheel and made a custom profile, when you start the game it will reset you to the default profile :doh:. You'll just have to switch it back in options each time.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Got to the S2 stuff and finding it all pretty fun. The progression is kind of interesting if seeming somewhat random.

My kid wanted to try the wheel, so I moved it over to his desk and he has been playing American Truck Simulator ever since. Apparently the wheel works a lot better there than it does for me in Forza.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
raydude

Post by raydude »

Picked this up on the Autumn Steam Sale. Hooked it up with my Logitech G29 and OMG this game is fun! Wonderpug's drivatar has been in several of my solo races, along with some other accounts from folks I know in real life. This is the most fun I've had in racing in a very very long time. I must have spent at least 5 hours racing today and I cannot wait to race more tonight.

It's almost embarrassing the number of free cars I received as gifts. And it is amazing how varied the handling is on these cars. One of the D class races was frustrating me to no end with the initial car I purchased - a Miata something. I switched it out for a Honda Civic and was able to win first place.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I did the seasonal dirt racing championship this past weekend. That was the most fun I've had for an extended period of time playing computer games. And the first time in a long while that I experienced "flow"; that feeling of being in the zone and devoting my brain and body to feeling the feedback from the wheel, anticipating the turn, stepping on the brake and gas pedals, and shifting up and down with the shifter paddles.

Good stuff!