The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by YellowKing »

I bought this game for Xbox One, then re-bought it for PC, and now there's a very good chance I'll be rebuying it for PS5. :grund:
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

I got it for free when I bought a GTX 970. These days it's almost hard to imagine they would give you brand new triple-A games just for buying a sensibly-priced GPU, so I guess those extras aren't coming back any time soon. The RTX 3070 came with bupkis and cost three times as much.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:48 am Oh, that's somewhat disappointing if it's only gear-related. I thought it'd be something like a unique questline that directly relates events from the show.
It's about what I expected. I'd rather they move ahead on new games than be putting too many resources into adding content for a game that was released 7 years ago and already has more content than most players will ever complete.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:48 am Oh, that's somewhat disappointing if it's only gear-related. I thought it'd be something like a unique questline that directly relates events from the show.
Unless something has changed, both the game and the show have a license to use book content, but neither has a license to use the other's content. "Inspired by the portrayal" is about as close as they can get (just like the show was pretty clearly inspired by the game.)

Besides, they're each using the characters in different ways. I doubt either one wants to cross the canon.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ahh, good points. I hadn't considered that they couldn't.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Chraolic wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:57 am I got it for free when I bought a GTX 970. These days it's almost hard to imagine they would give you brand new triple-A games just for buying a sensibly-priced GPU, so I guess those extras aren't coming back any time soon. The RTX 3070 came with bupkis and cost three times as much.
AMD is doing a promo until the end of the month where you get The Callisto Protocol and Dead Island 2 with a Radeon purchase

nGreedia of course is doing nothing at all.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:05 pm Besides, they're each using the characters in different ways. I doubt either one wants to cross the canon.
I did just see this:
CD Projekt Red has been, as you can imagine, very careful about spoiling the new quest coming to The Witcher 3 with this update. This quest, which is tied to the Netflix show, is brand-new and tantalising to think about. But whatever it is, we’ll be able to take it on with new equipment, as well as an alternate costume for Dandelion. Nice!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Definitely going to use the new Dandelion.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Would be nice to see this version's Dandelion play Toss a Coin to the Witcher.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

CDPR is taking a page from GOG's playbook and has rolled some fan-made mods into the upcoming upgrade. It's good to see that they are compensating the mod authors and giving them credit for their work.

Mods and The Witcher 3 next-gen update
We hear your questions about mods after the upcoming The Witcher 3 update. I'll try to answer them as best I can:

Updating a game means that we change various files, so the mods that modify those exact files stop working. If we want to change things in the game or add stuff, it cannot be avoided, and our teams have to focus on making updates as good as possible, not minimising change.

Still, in the case of TW3 it's been 6 years (or 4 if counting since 1.32) since the last PC update, and it's a long time to get used to one's favourite mods. And we want this transition to be as smooth as possible.

So:
  1. We checked several most popular mods to see if they will work after the update. Here are our findings. Mind that the list may not be 100% accurate (the game was under development while the list was being gradually compiled and afterwards, also mods can change). But we hope it gives you an idea what to expect.
  2. How to read the table: Mods are listed; next to them the folders where they can be found (one mod can use many folders representing its aspects); compatibility with the update (yes/no); then under “Comment” additional info in case the mod doesn’t work.
  3. Because we are changing scripts in the update due to the addition of a new quest, most of the mods that are based on scripts will error out. You will notice this in the “Comment” column in the above doc as “script errors”. Using e.g. the Script Merger tool can help the authors solve those issues.
  4. Our team of modding experts led by Bence will provide help and advice to modders on forums post-release when possible.
  5. Alongside the game update we are gonna release a new version of the Witcher 3 command line tools for modders (Modkit) adapted for the updated game with many bug fixes included.
  6. Bence's team will be releasing an updated version of TW3 WolvenKit soon after the update's release (also when possible, considering their holiday season plans). Bence created a ticket on github that you can observe for updates, in case WolvenKit update gets delayed.
Additionally, we are including several popular mods in the update (they’ll be available depending on the platform). We obtained permissions from their creators, reimbursed them, and they’ll be featured in the credits of the updated game. The mods were reworked and assets optimised as needed, and the game adjusted to run with them. There was even a case when a dev got so engrossed in tinkering when including a mod that he ended up simply remaking that particular aspect of the game. So, in a way, the game comes with some mods already included.

But for the full spectrum of mods we still depend on our community, and we are looking forward to the new modding ideas and activities this update will spark :D
I would guess that if people are really invested in mods for the current version of the game, they can simply archive off a copy of the legacy version or not update it, at least for the time being while waiting to see if the mod community will update broken mods to work with the new version.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
JCC

Post by JCC »

So you're saying CD Projekt is taking a page from CD Projekt's rule book? :)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For some reason, "CDPR" always sounds like some dark, Iron Curtain government organization. "And today in the news, there have been reports that the CDPR has been cracking down on dissent..."
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:21 pm For some reason, "CDPR" always sounds like some dark, Iron Curtain government organization. "And today in the news, there have been reports that the CDPR has been cracking down on dissent..."
Just enjoy our games, citizen. Nothing to see here…

In former Warsaw Pact state the DLC plays you, Comrade.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Is the new “update” a patched version of the current game or a totally different install? Metro Exodus got a similar update but it was a new install. Anyone know?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

JCC wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:22 pm So you're saying CD Projekt is taking a page from CD Projekt's rule book? :)
I was thinking much the same thing when I typed that. :lol:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:57 pm Is the new “update” a patched version of the current game or a totally different install? Metro Exodus got a similar update but it was a new install. Anyone know?
I'm not sure, but the emphasis on how it will break mods and what they're doing to mitigate that leads me to expect it will be a patch to the existing game rather than a separate product that they're giving to owners of the older version.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Dug out my old PS4 Witcher 3 Wild Hunt the Complete Edition disc and copying files to the PS5 in anticipation for upgrade day! My last play through was quite a while ago so I’m really excited to play it again with all sorts of nice graphical bells and whistles. I wonder if I’ll be Team Yennifer this time around? :think:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Patch Notes
On December 14th the free next-gen update is coming to PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The update will go live at 1 AM CET for PC & Xbox Series X|S, and midnight local time for PlayStation 5. It will include various visual, performance, and technical enhancements, as well as fixes and additional content. PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch will also receive an update — the specific patch notes and date will be announced at a later time. (NOTE: scope of the updates may vary between the platforms — please read the patch notes for more details)

After the update your game version will be 4.0.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm happy to have the new upgrade to motivate me to give the game a try again. I started it a couple of times but lost interest quickly. Maybe if it was prettier... :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's available!!! Download that shit! If you don't own it because you are dead inside it's 10 bucks on gog.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm waiting. I really want to reread the first few books, then read the rest that have come out before I tackle it again. And I need to finish Wheel of Time before I can start those.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I ran into a weirdly trying to update my existing install in GOG Galaxy. In order to get it to recognize and download the update I had to disable the option to automatically update to the most recent version, then manually select version 4.0.

Enlarge Image

I wonder why they jumped the version number from 1.32 to 4.0? Were 2.0 and 3.0 allocated to console releases or something like that?

ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

ChuckB wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:58 pm It's really strange - I looked over all the announcements for the next-gen version but for the life cannot find any information about the point that is the most important for me (and must be for many other people):

Will the next-gen version (for me, on PS5) be able to load the save games of the current-gen version? (for me, on PS4)? Has anyone seen any information about that?

I spent many hours in W3 on PS4 (I just finished Skellige) and would love to continue playing with the next-gen version. There is next to zero chance that I'll restart the game on next-gen again.
Ok, came back to answer my own question (in case anyone is interested). TLDR: Yes, the new NextGen version can use saves made by the original version.

Background: I'm playing on Playstation. Got the game on PS4 and played for quite a while and then installed a year ago the PS4 version on my PS5 and continued to play on the PS5, so my saves were for the PS4 version on my PS5.

I first updated the PS4 version to the latest version (4.00), this update came out yesterday afternoon (CA). This updated PS4 version can read previous saves without an issue. CDRed introduced a new cloud cross-platform save option in this new update. You need to go online to activate it with a QR code and it seems to be tied to your GOG account (which I have for PC). You can then select saves to be uploaded and I think it also uploads the latest ones you make.

I then downloaded the PS5 version (came out in the evening with slightly above 100GB). When I started this version, the game could NOT see any previous saves, so a direct transfer does not seem to work. I then also logged into the CDRred/GOG cloud save system and - voila, the uploaded saves were visible and usable. Off to play now!

(P.S. This is really great and it loos like this may even work across platforms, so ... thanks CD Red, everyone should do that)
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:03 pm I wonder why they jumped the version number from 1.32 to 4.0? Were 2.0 and 3.0 allocated to console releases or something like that?
Nope. The console version jumped from 1.60 to 4.0, too
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

ChuckB wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:36 pm
ChuckB wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:58 pm It's really strange - I looked over all the announcements for the next-gen version but for the life cannot find any information about the point that is the most important for me (and must be for many other people):

Will the next-gen version (for me, on PS5) be able to load the save games of the current-gen version? (for me, on PS4)? Has anyone seen any information about that?

I spent many hours in W3 on PS4 (I just finished Skellige) and would love to continue playing with the next-gen version. There is next to zero chance that I'll restart the game on next-gen again.
Ok, came back to answer my own question (in case anyone is interested). TLDR: Yes, the new NextGen version can use saves made by the original version.

Background: I'm playing on Playstation. Got the game on PS4 and played for quite a while and then installed a year ago the PS4 version on my PS5 and continued to play on the PS5, so my saves were for the PS4 version on my PS5.

I first updated the PS4 version to the latest version (4.00), this update came out yesterday afternoon (CA). This updated PS4 version can read previous saves without an issue. CDRed introduced a new cloud cross-platform save option in this new update. You need to go online to activate it with a QR code and it seems to be tied to your GOG account (which I have for PC). You can then select saves to be uploaded and I think it also uploads the latest ones you make.

I then downloaded the PS5 version (came out in the evening with slightly above 100GB). When I started this version, the game could NOT see any previous saves, so a direct transfer does not seem to work. I then also logged into the CDRred/GOG cloud save system and - voila, the uploaded saves were visible and usable. Off to play now!

(P.S. This is really great and it loos like this may even work across platforms, so ... thanks CD Red, everyone should do that)
So is the PS5 version an entirely separate download from the PS4 update? In other words my PS5 has the PS4 version installed and it was updating to V4.0, but are you saying it isn't updating it to the PS5 version?
FTE
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

.....and I just bought it for PS5.

Three purchases of a game on three different platforms that I still haven't finished yet. The video game publishers LOVE people like me. :grund:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Scraper wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:45 pm
ChuckB wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:36 pm

So is the PS5 version an entirely separate download from the PS4 update? In other words my PS5 has the PS4 version installed and it was updating to V4.0, but are you saying it isn't updating it to the PS5 version?

I just installed it and it's a separate PS5 version and my saves are not available.

I used this guide to restore my saves and did have to resort to making a save on the PS4 version-

https://www.ggrecon.com/guides/witcher- ... %22%20menu
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:45 pm .....and I just bought it for PS5.

Three purchases of a game on three different platforms that I still haven't finished yet. The video game publishers LOVE people like me. :grund:
I have more than a few games like that. I have the last Dragon Quest in like 3 spots and I haven't gotten a quarter of the way through on any version. :P I kind of wish I had the PS5 version as I'm spending more time tweaking settings than playing the game. It's why I don't like playing on the PC much anymore.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I will say as much as I was NOT looking forward to replaying 20-25 hours of the game (that's how far I got on the PC version), the Performance Mode is SWEEEEET. My PC could never run it at 60fps, so combat feels completely new. Don't think I'm going to mind the replay as much as I thought.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

One day I may replay the entire series with a mind to choosing Yennifer on that day. Maybe. Triss just seems nice and right though. She fits. Yen can be a hen. But she has the looks.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Scraper wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:45 pm So is the PS5 version an entirely separate download from the PS4 update? In other words my PS5 has the PS4 version installed and it was updating to V4.0, but are you saying it isn't updating it to the PS5 version?
Yes, two different apps that can co-exist on the same PS5. The updates to the PS4 version are also nice and as I, an others, wrote, you will need to fire up the updated PS4 version to store the save game in the COG cloud storage to download and use that for the separate PS5 version. I have now deleted the PS4 version and everything (seems) fine.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

There are reports that there are some serious performance issues on PC, even with beefy top of the line systems.

https://kotaku.com/witcher-3-next-gen-u ... 1849893251

Good thing I've already completed it as I doubt I'd be able to run it now with my aging system.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:59 pm I will say as much as I was NOT looking forward to replaying 20-25 hours of the game (that's how far I got on the PC version), the Performance Mode is SWEEEEET. My PC could never run it at 60fps, so combat feels completely new. Don't think I'm going to mind the replay as much as I thought.
Do you not have saves you could transfer?
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I have the Ps4 disc version installed and I can't figure out how to download the Ps5 version,. Has anyone else been able to update it in this format?
FTE
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Alefroth wrote:Do you not have saves you could transfer?
I have PC saves, I have no clue how to get those to PS5. Enlighten me!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:38 pm
Alefroth wrote:Do you not have saves you could transfer?
I have PC saves, I have no clue how to get those to PS5. Enlighten me!
Hopefully this works-

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-h ... ogression/
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The link I posted upthread goes into more detail about how to get them on PS5 once cross-platform is enabled.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:43 pm There are reports that there are some serious performance issues on PC, even with beefy top of the line systems.

https://kotaku.com/witcher-3-next-gen-u ... 1849893251

Good thing I've already completed it as I doubt I'd be able to run it now with my aging system.
I can say this appears to be the case for me. The ray tracing is nice looking but it barely works. I have a high-end machine and when I turn on the RT it breaks. Sometimes the frame rate is good and then sometimes it runs at single digits. However, the unstable frame rate isn't the real problem. The biggest issue for me is it crashes often. RT on or not. I thought it was my mods so I blew it away and went vanilla and it was the same. I'm a little shocked they released it like this.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It hard locked my computer. I'm not touching it on the PC until a patch drops. On the Xbox the RT mode is well terrible. You can quickly toggle it back and forth and honestly the difference is so minor in most places that the 30 fps drop is totally not worth it. It runs and looks great in the 60 fps performance mode. It's choppy as hell in the RT mode. As an aside I play RDR 2 which is 30 fps and that's way better.

So as usual they released something half baked. But it's free so I'm not gonna get upset about it.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's a shame, but I don't find it all that surprising given the performance issues Cyberpunk had. They seem to be having issues with optimization lately.

What concerns me now is that someone on a lower-spec machine like I have (over 10 years old) won't be able to play it at all now. I was able to run it maxed out in the old version of the game and it ran fairly smoothly. But with this update, the system requirements likely increased quite a bit given the reports.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti