Resident Evil (series)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Resident Evil (series)

Post by Blackhawk »

I played 1 & 2 on the Playstation (1) clear back when they were brand-spanking-new.

(Why do the newest things spank brands, anyway?)

Back on topic. I kind of think it would be fun to give these a revisit and see where the series has gone. The problem is that it's a confusing quagmire of numerical titles, other titles (Zero, Revelations, Veronica, Village), some of which are spinoffs and some of which are not, titles across multiple platforms, and remakes.

Where should I start? I have a PC (obviously) and a PS4 Pro. The PS4 Pro would be my preference here (I could use a couch game.) I see a Resident Evil Origins Collection on Amazon, which is apparently Resident Evil Remake, which is apparently Resident Evil 1, and Resident Evil Zero, which is apparently a prequel. I know that there have been remakes of 2 and 3, and 4 recently had a very well-received VR port.

Is that list (Origins, RE2 remake, RE3 remake, RE4 VR) a good place to start?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Re: Resident Evil (series)

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:55 pm Is that list (Origins, RE2 remake, RE3 remake, RE4 VR) a good place to start?
i would say so. too bad you missed that giant RE humble bundle a couple months ago.
Scraper

Re: Resident Evil (series)

Post by Scraper »

Honestly the original versions of the games in this series are so dated that they're probably not worth playing at this point. If I were you I would start with the Remakes of RE 2 and 3. They are complete remakes with modern graphics and controls and they're both pretty excellent. They did a remake of part 1 a couple of years prior to 2 and 3, but they didn't overhaul the gameplay enough to bring it up to modern standards. I think 0 and Veronica are entirely skippable. Part 4 is about to have a modern remake which should be really good. Part 5 and 6 aren't too old but they aren't great compared to the 2 and 3 remake as well as parts 7 and 8.

I know that might be confusing, but we're talking about a series that is 25 years old now with a storyline that is still considered cannon since the first games release to the present.
FTE