[Poll] Whom Should Dems Run in 2024?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Who Should Be the Democratic Presidential Nominee in 2024?

Prez Joe Biden
11%
VP Kamala Harris
9%
Sen Elizabeth Warren
11%
Sen Cory Booker
9%
Gov Gavin Newsome
17%
Sen Amy Klobuchar
4%
Sec Pete Buttigieg
24%
Sen Sherrod Brown
2%
Gov Roy Cooper
2%
Other (Please Specify)
11%

Total votes: 46

Jeff V

Re: [Poll] Whom Should Dems Run in 2024?

Post by Jeff V »

I'm hoping Biden elects not to run. I think Pete would be the most energetic candidate (unless AOC runs). Having followed Klobuchar for a good while, I wouldn't mind her at all, she is lacking in charisma, however.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There are way too many homophobes in this country for a gay president to happen. I mean, it’s better than it was even 10 years ago, but we’re still not there. Personally, I’m a huge fan of Pete. He always comes across as the smartest and most level headed person in the room.

They’ll run Biden and pray to God he beats the odds for survival.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:05 pm I'm hoping Biden elects not to run. I think Pete would be the most energetic candidate (unless AOC runs). Having followed Klobuchar for a good while, I wouldn't mind her at all, she is lacking in charisma, however.
I really like AOC, but her on a presidential ticket is the RNC's wet dream.

At this point I'd be surprised if Biden faces a serious primary challenge at all.
Black Lives Matter.
dfs

Post by dfs »

Sadly there is little overlap between who I would like to be my president and who should run for office. The difference being that in order to run for office they need to be electable. While Pete and Camila and Liz would make great office holders, I don't think the American Public would elect any of them.

I hope I'm wrong.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:35 pm
Jeff V wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:05 pm I'm hoping Biden elects not to run. I think Pete would be the most energetic candidate (unless AOC runs). Having followed Klobuchar for a good while, I wouldn't mind her at all, she is lacking in charisma, however.
I really like AOC, but her on a presidential ticket is the RNC's wet dream.

At this point I'd be surprised if Biden faces a serious primary challenge at all.
My favorite Democrats are all either female or gay or old or all of the above, and so probably unelectable. I'll toss Gina Raimundo's name into the hat as well. Among straight white males, Newsome is the only name that comes to mind. But if Biden chooses to run and doesn't suffer an adverse health event or exhibit further cognitive decline, the party will unite behind him.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Further? He just recently referred to Kamala as ‘President Harris’. That’s one of the milder ‘foggy’ moments.

The man is already old, frail and reminds me very much of my grandmother who had dementia when he speaks.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't believe that he's demented, but his command of speech -- never his strong suit -- is slipping. If it keeps slipping for two more years, Dems need to have a Plan B waiting in the wings.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He spent his childhood fighting his issues with stuttering. He's still fighting it to this day, I believe. Confusing his occasional stammering or verbal typos with mental decline is doing a disservice to anyone who has struggled with the same issues.
He won. Period.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:37 pm He spent his childhood fighting his issues with stuttering. He's still fighting it to this day, I believe. Confusing his occasional stammering or verbal typos with mental decline is doing a disservice to anyone who has struggled with the same issues.
All true. But he’s 80 years old. Eighty!

Biden has consistently been in the public spotlight since he first held office in 1971. That’s over five decades. And he’s been struggling with his speech impediment the entire time. The point is, we have a very large data set when looking at Biden and judging whether there has been a decline.

From where I sit, there’s no objective way to look at it and not come to the conclusion that there has been a decline, that it’s significant, and that it has accelerated during the last 6 or so years.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kurth wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:22 pm From where I sit, there’s no objective way to look at it and not come to the conclusion that there has been a decline, that it’s significant, and that it has accelerated during the last 6 or so years.
Can you provide examples of this significant proof that he's in an accelerating state of mental decline?

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. I'm just wary of these claims after right wing media has spent years creating doctored videos, and citing misquoted snippets of speeches in an attempt to paint the man as a doddering fool.
He won. Period.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:26 pm
Kurth wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:22 pm From where I sit, there’s no objective way to look at it and not come to the conclusion that there has been a decline, that it’s significant, and that it has accelerated during the last 6 or so years.
Can you provide examples of this significant proof that he's in an accelerating state of mental decline?

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. I'm just wary of these claims after right wing media has spent years creating doctored videos, and citing misquoted snippets of speeches in an attempt to paint the man as a doddering fool.
No. And if I go googling for it, I'm sure what I'm going to find is a bunch of right wing troll garbage, so I'm not inclined to do that. I'm not making a scientific assessment. I'm just basing this on my observations of Biden over this time period. He just seems to be declining. Which is hardly shocking given the fact that he's 80. I don't think he's a doddering fool. But he's an 80 year old who has not had the easiest life, and the years take a toll.

I don't think you're being a jerk about this at all, but do you really think that Biden today is as sharp and as competent as Biden five or ten or fifteen years ago?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

He has declined noticeably in my opinion. That said I think that he is probably about average for 80 but the toll appears to be significant on him. When I think about this I contrast him against Pelosi who is probably in exceptional mental and physical health for the age bracket. She is markedly stronger appearing than him.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kurth wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:27 pm I don't think you're being a jerk about this at all, but do you really think that Biden today is as sharp and as competent as Biden five or ten or fifteen years ago?
I haven't seen any examples of cognitive decline in his speeches or his actions. I've seen some awkwardness, and some examples of frustration when badgered. But that's always been a part of his public persona. Right wing talking heads have been trying to convince us that he's 10 minutes from being committed ever since he announced he was running for POTUS. When a message as consistent and as loud as that is allowed to continue, and even aided by a media blitz of doctored videos, it's easy to see things that aren't really there.

Or maybe it's because some folks want to compare and contrast him with his former boss? Look, he's no Obama. There are very, very few politicians as gifted as Obama when it comes to public speaking. That man has the gift of gab. I will readily admit that Biden is no Obama in that area.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:Right wing talking heads have been trying to convince us that he's 10 minutes from being committed ever since he announced he was running for POTUS.
While totally accepting Trump, who can't even put together a coherent sentence when reading from a teleprompter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

COVFEFE!
He won. Period.