Hard West 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jolor

Hard West 2

Post by Jolor »

I never played the first but my impression is that this is a refinement. I'm early on but am enjoying my time with the party-based, turn-based horror western. Unique features for me are the ability to ricochet deadly shots, and the use of playing cards in a character's inventory to not only increase stats but, when creating a stronger hand, unlocking abilities. Travel with your full posse but you can only take four into set piece fights. This does allow you to create strong hands for your players by borrowing cards from characters sitting the fight out. Same for weapons in short supply during the early part of the game. Fights also have main as well as optional objectives. Welcome is dialogue choices during encounters with there own unique consequences, positive and negative.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Sudy

Re: Hard West 2

Post by Sudy »

I enjoyed the first few levels of the first one until the "must maintain stealth" level that's soured many a game over the years. Really glad a market persists for turn-based tactics with various settings.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I liked the first one for what it was. This one seems to have ditched the stealth element of the first (so far), and I'm enjoying it more than the first.
It is a bit puzzle(ish) at times, when trying to get the bonus objectives - I can see that turning some people off on this.
The characters and story are enough for me to keep going for now.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

A bit further in now. about 7-8 hrs... and the cracks are starting to show a bit.
Lots of backtracking, luckily there is a "speed up time" button, but it seems like a better idea would have just been don't make me backtrack so damn much.
I also like the card mechanic (basically a perks system), but it's a little too stingy, at least so far.

It looks like the game is only about 20hrs long though, so I'll probably stick with it.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Getting all of the bonus objectives can be frustrating and tedious. And you really do want to get them, because the bonus cards are needed to unlock new abilities.

One fight in particular was a real pain.
Spoiler:
3:10 to Heaven. Where you have to steal a train. In order to get the bonus card, you need to do all objectives in 1 round. It's doable, but it took a lot of trial and error, and wasn't my idea of fun. I just wanted to shoot zombie cowboys. :(
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Picking this up again after finishing Pentiment and trying out games purchased as part of the Steam Autumn Sale.

Barely surviving the Moses O'Kane battle right now. Have officially added my name to the list of people requesting Overwatch as a feature ;)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Finished this today.
I liked it better than Mutant Year Zero, but anyone looking for XCOM in the Wild West should just move on. The game never really opens up or gives you that much freedom. Battles are much more puzzle-like, but with more than one solution.

Jolor wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:49 pm Picking this up again after finishing Pentiment and trying out games purchased as part of the Steam Autumn Sale.

Barely surviving the Moses O'Kane battle right now. Have officially added my name to the list of people requesting Overwatch as a feature ;)
Overwatch would make the game too easy later on.
Use cover, don't over-extend single characters, and don't be afraid to use of consumables to get you out of a tight spot.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Thanks for that. I've also started a "draw 'em out" strategy which is working so far (Calla Calla). I must admit that I do like the narrative quite a bit.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Oh, if you want to collect the Joker cards, I suggest looking up spoilers. I missed them in my game, and the choice you have to make to get them isn't obvious.

Hint;
Spoiler:
Has to do with 2 of the bounties.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Thanks but I'll leave that unspoilered for now so I have a chance to feel like a genius later :)
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Postscript: Do not feel like a genius. At game's end I was missing the two Jokers and the 9 of hearts. Didn't really matter for gameplay as I was able to equip my four characters with Royal Flush hands.

One thing that took me too long to realize (ok - one of many) is that, once you're down to one objective, fulfill it any way you can. You're not going to get any extra points by clearing the map if that' not an objective. Have a chance to have one character activate that final switch but there are still enemies on the map? Just activate the switch. You're not going to get extra XP.

Minor complaints: Inventory. All healing potions are limited to using on yourself and cannot loan items to other characters. You can only stock one item per slot so don't expect to stack bandages, etc. I also found myself moving one posse member when I intended to move another. Unclear character selection unless you really zeroed in; not always forefront of mind when you're planning the move.

Lastly. I really thought that the Preacher (Healer) would be a powerful companion but I looked at the skill tree and he didn't appear to be. So did not really give him any missions.

I enjoyed the game and appreciated the unique mechanics. There were story moments where I could have advanced one posse members loyalty over one's that was already maxed out (Friend status) but didn't like the gameplay choice. So I RPGed a non-RPG game's dialogue choices. Felt better, tbh, though it made no difference to gameplay as far as I could tell.

A pretty good game, overall, but if you're looking for an adventure-shooter set in the Undead West, this one comes in second behind Weird West.