RimWorld (New DF-like)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sepiche

Re: RimWorld (New DF-like)

Post by Sepiche »

Picked this up the last few days to try out the new update and DLC. So far so good. Some have mentioned the DLC is a little pricey ($20) for what you get, and could be true for some, but there's quite a bit more under the hood in terms of new research, items, factions, quests, etc to make it worth it for me.

The first obvious addition is another final quest to entertain and protect the emperor of a fallen empire for a set amount of time in exchange for being taken off planet with him. To get to that point that you have to advance in rank with the empire to be a count which requires a number of quests of various difficulties to be completed.

The tech tree is a lot more fleshed out now on the upper end with the base game now giving the ability to research bionics, better powered armor, etc. They also incorporated one of the more popular mods into the base game which adds an assortment of new animals and general wildlife.

I've also seen a nice new assortment of general quests to complete like one where I had to receive a shuttle of prisoners, and keep them alive and secure for a few days until a shuttle came to pick them up.

Anyway, the new quests do a good job of making the early and mid game a little more unique, and the fleshing out of the tech tree makes the late game much, much more interesting. +1 from this Rimworld vet.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

$20 would be pricey to me because I didn't play that much. For some people who spent so much time and got so much enjoyment on the game, that doesn't seem like a lot to drive. Paying people for what they've done for my enjoyment feels so much better than paying people and hoping to get something out of it. This is why I own all but one of the Band of Brothers DLC and to blindly purchase stylistic driven Klie or Abbey games while I'm loathe to buy into season passes and multitudes of tiny DLC for the plethora of Paradox games I seem to buy and then put away.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:50 pm$20 would be pricey to me because I didn't play that much.
$20 will be pricey for me, too - until I get in the mood for RimWorld again. I've sunk hundreds of hours into the game and love the way it plays - but I can't sustain all of my gaming moods with it and will eventually cycle back to it. In that moment I'll pick up the DLC and look for a new set of mods.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Looking around a little more, I'm actually kind of excited to see what modders can do with the new stuff. 1.1 had a lot of quality of life updates for modders in general, and the DLC has a framework for factions to have ranks, and players to be able to complete quests to attain them. I can imagine a lot of cool stuff modders will be able to do with that alone.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I completed a few missions for the empire to gain favor and one of my pawns is now up to the rank of knight of the empire. You have to do extra things to keep noble pawns happy, but in exchange you start getting psi powers as you gain ranks, and among other abilities, the ability to call down a squad of imperial marines to sweep the map for you. :horse:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Steam and GOG have a sync that some developers allow so you can carry games from Steam over to GOG and play them. The selection is pretty thin.

GOG.com just got RimWorld, and the connection is not there for this one. I'm sorely tempted to get this on GOG the next time I want to play, just so I can throw more money at the developer. I've gotten hundreds of hours of fun out of the game and would love to see more of it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I have my noble up to a Baroness which is getting pretty close to the rank of Count that I'd need to start the final Imperial quest. My stumbling block now is that I need gold to make a royal bed and grand throne for my Baroness. She's got high enough happiness that the malus isn't causing problems, but it's a pretty hefty -30 for having both an unsuitable throne room and bedroom, plus I'll need gold to finish the Emperor's bedroom if I go down that path anyway.

I have a comm station now, but still no craft with gold have come by in the last few months, so I'm starting to think about sending a trading expedition to a local friendly city and seeing if they might have some gold to trade. My Baroness is a former medieval lady, so she won't do a lot of jobs, but she is a competent artist, so when I don't have her out in her powered armor hunting, I have her making art for the group. I'm hoping we've got enough excellent quality artwork stockpiled to trade for a bunch of gold. I'll need at least a few hundred for my immediate needs, and I'll need some to upgrade my research bench as well eventually.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Only had time to play this a little more this weekend, but I'm enjoying getting to some of the new, late game research.

I've finally got the gold I need, so my Baroness has an impressive throne room and bedroom, not to mention I've got luxurious quarters setup in case any nobles come calling.

I did have one rough battle recently. A chunk of a mechanoid ship crashed on my map, and was slowly starting to poison all the plant life around it. It was protected by a sizable group of scythers and lancers. My colonists probably could have taken it on their own, but my baroness had some available reinforcement calls I hadn't used yet, and the call for a basic infantry squad was about to become available again, so I called in a squad of imperial jannisaries to lead the charge for me.

I split my colonists up to come at the mechanoids from two directions as the jannisaries attacked and things went pretty smoothly. Only serious casualty was my best medic, a dickish old man named Callum took a needler shot to the torso that completely destroyed his left lung. He survived, and I got him patched up, but the breathing penalty was making him a little slow getting around.

Thankfully, I had also accepted a mission from the Empire to watch 4 prisoners for a few weeks, and the mission requirements only state I need to put the prisoners on the shuttle when it arrives for them, not what condition the prisoners are in when they are picked up. So, problem solved, I pulled a lung out of one of the prisoners who tried to escape a bit after they arrived, and put it in my doctor. :twisted:

I also traded for some bioarmor technology. I still need to finish researching the tech for it and a couple of prerequisites, but once I get those, I should be able to implant all my colonists with dermal armor mods, not to mention I'm getting close to being able to research recon powered armor.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Enlarge Image

Last night I was attacked by a pack of wild cats. That is all.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just in case you haven't gotten the game and want to give it a go, RimWorld is now on Green Man Gaming and is on sale along with its DLC.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hey, maybe it's time to give this game another try. I remembered that I already owned it, so I installed it and did the tutorial, then when I saved the game I looked at the last time I'd played it:

I looked in my "RimWorld stuff" folder (every game I get I create a "stuff" folder to keep files, zips, links, etc for it) and noticed that the last zip I'd downloaded of the game (before it was on Steam of course) was RimWorldAlpha14Win.zip :roll:. I guess I few things have changed since then.

I checked in my game purchases file I keep and found the entry "RimWorld ($30 from publisher) 2015.03.02". Oh, yet, I remember that :doh:

By the way, any of the three DLC worth picking up?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Yes. I think all of them add onto Rimworld. New religions creates world views, temples, ceremonies and conflict. Royalty adds an advanced tech faction who you can ally with to get prestige that gives a person access to increasing levels of help and mind powers, but increases their demand to have more, feel better, and do less. The newest one adds children who learn and grow, but consume time and resources. It also adds genetic variation that drives common traits, and some factions that will be even more hostile and incompatible with your colony. Some of the potential combos are crazy — cannibal zealot pigmen, peaceful tree hugger neanderthals, vampires, mechanicals.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I think I would like this, but wondering if Dwarf Fortess would be more fun. I played Oxygen Not Included for a while before getting frustrated with the minutiae and almost insane "solutions" to certain challenges (although the time I played, I REALLY enjoyed the game). I love a good base builder, but I guess ONI was a bit above my gaming pay grade as it were (like Kerbal).

Is Rimworld like that in terms of REALLY needing a wiki or strategy guide open at all times to be able to progress, or is it fairly intuitive?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:56 am I think I would like this, but wondering if Dwarf Fortess would be more fun. I played Oxygen Not Included for a while before getting frustrated with the minutiae and almost insane "solutions" to certain challenges (although the time I played, I REALLY enjoyed the game). I love a good base builder, but I guess ONI was a bit above my gaming pay grade as it were (like Kerbal).

Is Rimworld like that in terms of REALLY needing a wiki or strategy guide open at all times to be able to progress, or is it fairly intuitive?
It's pretty intuitive. Both DF and RW should be treated more as a narrative than a base builder. The building is a means to an end in both games. In ONI, you are just building a base based on the challenges of your enviornment. In both DF and RW your challenges are more varied in no small part due to the personalities at play. They way they overcome them makes the game in to more of a story telling game.

Do you want Sci Fi or fantasy in your story telling? Are graphics more important to you? Do you want your combat to be swords and bows or guns and clubs? Both games will scratch the same general itch. RW has tech tree DF doesn't. DF, I would think, for my play, required more of a wiki than RW but the story telling is often more in depth and "fun!" as they say DF speak.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Fun&redirect=no
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Excellent, thanks! Surprised to see the price has not really ever dropped below $28 or so for both titles, wow.

I think I will go for RW.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

RW is easier to understand IMO. You can also breed furries and turn into a vampire.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zarathud wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:00 pm RW is easier to understand IMO. You can also breed furries and turn into a vampire.
But then can you bite said furries and turn THEM into vampire...furries? Creating a vampire furry army?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:09 pm
Zarathud wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:00 pm RW is easier to understand IMO. You can also breed furries and turn into a vampire.
But then can you bite said furries and turn THEM into vampire...furries? Creating a vampire furry army?
You most certainly can.

Honestly, this is the most fun story creating game.
I play with a lot of the difficulties tuned down most of the time (still plenty of combat), and just love making bases and working with all the colonists quirks and strengths and weaknesses.

Said furries (Yyattkins) genetics can be extracted and used on others to give them some or all of the traits, and a vampire can inject their genes into anyone.

You can also give the vampire furry a fulls set of advanced bionic legs, organs, eyes, and hidden weapons like elbow blades and knee spikes.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:56 am I think I would like this, but wondering if Dwarf Fortess would be more fun. I played Oxygen Not Included for a while before getting frustrated with the minutiae and almost insane "solutions" to certain challenges (although the time I played, I REALLY enjoyed the game). I love a good base builder, but I guess ONI was a bit above my gaming pay grade as it were (like Kerbal).

RW is so much more accessible and so much more ‘finished’ IMO.
DF has a lot of interesting detail but really that game is still frustrating to get to do the simplest of things done and is honestly still totally half baked. DF dev would also get into a new thing, like the justice system, and never finish it.

I’ve got over 5,000 hours in RW and highly recommend it.

I can also share a -very comprehensive- list of amazing mods that work well together after you get totally into things.
Last edited by Unagi on Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Are vampires in Vanilla? They weren't when last I played. They were in DF. I keep debating getting some of the DLC but pricing has shied me away. Sales are never deep, so I just keep waiting, with plenty other games to occupy my time. If RW ever gets a deep sale, I can seem me going heavy on the DLC and then coming back for a good long while.

I also play with reduced difficulty as the story of the game is more enjoyable for me when I am more attached to the colonists.

Also CP, I forgot to mention, in RW you have less colonists to manage than you do dwarves in DF. There is more micromanagement, especially when it comes to facing antagonism. Also a lot of the quality of life stuff used to manage your dwarves must be integrated in to DF but is baked in to RW similar to ONI.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:17 am Are vampires in Vanilla? They weren't when last I played. They were in DF. I keep debating getting some of the DLC but pricing has shied me away. Sales are never deep, so I just keep waiting, with plenty other games to occupy my time. If RW ever gets a deep sale, I can seem me going heavy on the DLC and then coming back for a good long while.

I also play with reduced difficulty as the story of the game is more enjoyable for me when I am more attached to the colonists.

Also CP, I forgot to mention, in RW you have less colonists to manage than you do dwarves in DF. There is more micromanagement, especially when it comes to facing antagonism. Also a lot of the quality of life stuff used to manage your dwarves must be integrated in to DF but is baked in to RW similar to ONI.
Sorry, no, Vampires come in the Biotech DLC.

I honestly think all 3 DLC are basically ‘must have’.

Royalty basically adds magic and some more fun toys to play with toward the end game.

Ideology adds the ability to make your colonist ‘care’ about certain things (maybe they worship elders, refuse to eat meat, only eat meat, or worship blindness, or biological augmentation) , have rituals that bring more flavor to everything.

Biotech brings children and genes into it, as well as vampires, and other exotic forms of life. It’s a huge DLC that really really opens up one’s imagination and options.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Recommend ONE of the three DLC’s. :D

And man, are they spendy! Come on…
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

If you want vampire furries, Biotech.

But really I would say: play vanilla for a little while first. Get the flow and feel for the whole game.

I leverage a lot of what came with Royalty, a good deal of it, but really the whole full arch of the royalty/title progression is something I only engage in to a point most often. Some people like it for the ‘progression’ and quests that build with it. It also offers another way to ‘win the game’ …

Ideology is big and very much worth it. It lets you flesh out the colony in fun ways, has some fun new buildings/systems to make use of…. It’s a logical expansion to get as soon as you realize you indeed like the base game and wish it had a little more to flesh out. If you bought it with the base game, you wouldn’t realize what it added. You would just think you had more input into your colony’s view on life and morals, and will run into most people that don’t follow it. Without it, you just wouldn’t realize you could do those things and run into cannibal tribes and some random nudists and slavers.

The problem with jumping into the Biotech DLC right away is that it brings ‘reproduction’ into the game, and babies and kids can be a lot to handle if you don’t already know how to handle the basics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smart take, thanks. I will hold off.

And FWIW I have zero interest in armies of vampire furries, I was mostly joking! :D

Apparently if you can imagine it, it’s possible in this game.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Indeed

Especially when you start to play around with some of the fun/balanced mods that are out there that then leverage those DLC a bit further and/or let you customize a few things a little more to your specific likings.

Which is a whole other topic…
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

redacted
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:30 pm Well, since I didn't bother to check my library before buying, I have an extra key for the base game. Who wants it?
Ouch! That one hurts since it's a bit spendy even on sale. Sorry - it's happened to me before as well. Refund?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I put in for it. I imagine it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I hear.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:37 am But really I would say: play vanilla for a little while first. Get the flow and feel for the whole game.
I second this take. Now I don't have 5000 hours in the game, but...
Spoiler:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LOL - I am sure you guys just left it open while you did...life, because that's what, like 200 days? :P

I look at my 955h in Gems of War and while I don't remember a lot of that time period, SURELY I just left it open, idling....SURELY. OTOH that shit sneaks up on you.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:35 pm LOL - I am sure you guys just left it open while you did...life, because that's what, like 200 days?
:D

Yeah, I'm sure it was left paused from time to time over the years. But even then, it had the honor of being the game that was paused...

I've had loved the game since before it came out on Steam, and bought in at the whole 'name-in-game' level waaaay back then in early alpha.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Man, I am REALLY digging this game. Exactly what I needed after finishing Return to Castle Wolfenstein (realRTCW), which is frankly, a pretty old school, not so hectic FPS compared to its modern versions (which had me wanting to eat a Xanax).

Maybe my best pattern for gaming is: FPS-->adventure/builder/strategy/4x/etc-->FPS-->adventure/builder/strategy/4x -->FPS, etc

Hopefully the problem solving will be a bit more intuitive...but I AM having to consult a wiki so far.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:07 pm I put in for it. I imagine it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I hear.
Refund approved.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:31 pm I've had loved the game since before it came out on Steam, and bought in at the whole 'name-in-game' level waaaay back then in early alpha.
I also bought the name-in-game version (back in November 2013). Please don't take any of my organs if you see me on your map. ;)

I've gone back and played a few colonies over the years, but nowhere near the 4500+ hours that Neal has.
Conform or be cast out!
Adeptus

Post by Adeptus »

Love this game, great replayability.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Apparently there is a medieval version of this game, called Norland, in Early Access currently. Anyone following/interested?

"Norland is a medieval kingdom sim that generates stories. Manage your noble family and face with class society, crime, slave revolts, religious conflict, economic issues, personal relations, treachery, secret murders, and spectacular battles."

The graphics even look very similar to Rimworld, but maybe a bit better.

Demo on Steam if anyone is interested in checking it out.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That looks a lot more like Prison Architect than RimWorld to me. But that's a good thing. Building a kingdom and managing 100s of does not like fun. Building a kingdom and guiding key figures that, in turn, manage 100s does sound like fun. I think I will try the demo to see what the early story telling is like.

Edit: Demo is 20 game days good through July 10th.
Tutorial is included
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Let us know how it goes! Interested, but just don’t have time to check it out right now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So far, a few days in, I can see where they want it to be a story telling game and use many of the elements from RimWorld to make it look that way but there is no story. It's a straight forward colony builder. But then this is an alpha state game.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So for ally'all that just started a month and a half ago with vanilla. Fanatical has about five days left with pricing for DLC between 10 and 20% off depending on what you want. It's about as good of sale as has ever happened according to sites that track such things like is there any deal.

https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=rimworld

Not sure if Fanatical could let you game the system and pay $16 for one of the DLC and then take another 5% off the remaining $38 in DLC on sale.

been sitting here thinking about returning to this game myself, right now, and picking up one or more DLC.