Social Media Political Lens

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Social Media Political Lens

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:02 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:50 pm Apple can choose to hold their ad dollars

Boycotts or not buying things are not infringement on free speech in America.

Musk is a dumbass.
I think he’s trying to imply that Twitter is the champion of free speech, and so Apple must not like free speech if it doesn’t want to associate itself with Twitter.
I mean he's pretty clear. They reduced their Twitter ad spend significantly, ergo they hate free speech "in America."

"In America" is very 1st Amendment-y.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:56 pm Why do these seemingly "normal" (or at least seemingly functional) people just go completely insane when they get wrapped up in right wing politics? Kanye, Giuliani, etc. etc. It's really bizarre.
The Far Right has always and everywhere been founded on conspiratorial thinking. It's basic tenet is that all explanations about the way the world works (whether common-sense or complex) are actually lies promulgated by powerful secret enemies (elites, Jews, communist sympathizers, Satanists, witches, lizard people, the Deep State, etc) who use them for their own gain.

Conspiratorial thinking requires *constant* reinforcement so that the complexities and ambiguities of the real world are kept at bay. Inside the Movement, the narrative can never stop. Once you sign up, it's necessary to keep repeating and evolving crazy shit in order to reassure your allies and (more importantly) yourself of what you believe.

From an outside perspective, standing in the real world, of course this looks totally nuts.

Incidentally, this is why the internet has been such a boon for conspiratorial thinking. It's now possible to reinforce the narrative through hourly updates from thousands of co-conspiracists as opposed to a monthly newsletter or a weekly crackpot sermon.
Last edited by Holman on Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:07 pm What's happening at SpaceX and Tesla while Musk spends all his time with his new toy? I thought he was the 100-hour executive whose soaring vision was necessary to guide those companies into the future?
Musk doesn't run SpaceX, which should be pretty obvious based on their success.

I'd say Tesla has succeeded in spite of Musk. Lack of competition was the real advantage there and that advantage is now gone (shoosh Zaxxon, the charging network is nice, ok :) ). I wonder when the market will figure it out.

caveat: I am very much like Jon Snow
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:29 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:07 pm What's happening at SpaceX and Tesla while Musk spends all his time with his new toy? I thought he was the 100-hour executive whose soaring vision was necessary to guide those companies into the future?
Musk doesn't run SpaceX, which should be pretty obvious based on their success.

I'd say Tesla has succeeded in spite of Musk. Lack of competition was the real advantage there and that advantage is now gone (shoosh Zaxxon, the charging network is nice, ok :) ). I wonder when the market will figure it out.

caveat: I am very much like Jon Snow
I'm guessing first to market and the unshakable faith in EVs when no one else was there will keep a large and loyal market share. And you can probably add in his newly found "I'm not traditionally" conservative brand loyalty. However, it will shrink and he will whine. Also, it's estimated that what was 3 billion a year in carbon credits just five years ago is already down to 1.25 billion a year. I wonder what that is doing to the bottom line, especially while suppliers are already squeezed like rocks for blood for cost cutting.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:14 pm I'm guessing first to market and the unshakable faith in EVs when no one else was there will keep a large and loyal market share.
I guess Musk figures that if Nazism worked for Henry Ford, it will work for him.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Wired
REMOVING CHILD EXPLOITATION is “priority #1”, Twitter’s new owner and CEO Elon Musk declared last week. But, at the same time, following widespread layoffs and resignations, just one staff member remains on a key team dedicated to removing child sexual abuse content from the site, according to two people with knowledge of the matter, who both requested to remain anonymous.

It’s unclear how many people were on the team before Musk’s takeover. On LinkedIn, WIRED identified four Singapore-based employees who specialize in child safety who said publicly they left Twitter in November.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm pretty sure this goes here:

Twitter no longer enforcing its COVID-19 misinformation policy - an absolute disgrace
Article from CNN.

Maybe you'll be surprised that I've been reporting encounters where this has been happening, though not since Musk has taken over. I have also been reporting attacks on LQBTQ+ members, namely the Assistant Secretary for Public Health in the HHS. First thing I've noticed since he took over is that the reports are being answered much faster (good), however 90% of them now come back as "no violation" (bad), so I can say there's definitely been a difference there.

I guess my point is, the lack of enforcement for COVID-19 misinformation doesn't surprise me at all.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:35 amFirst thing I've noticed since he took over is that the reports are being answered much faster (good), however 90% of them now come back as "no violation" (bad), so I can say there's definitely been a difference there.
Yeah the situation is pretty bad. It's becoming clear that the reports are being returned faster because they are using whatever ML/AI algorithm that was helping them to manage the work flow is now in auto answer mode. The system probably was scoring reports based on content and prioritizing them for human response. Now that the humans are gone they've probably had to tune it to just reject score below a certain threshold. The problem is that the humans also helped to retrain the ML/AI engine about what was misinformation. I'm sure that idiot Musk would say he has corrected the "liberal bias" and restored free speech but that's mostly bullshit. This something that current ML/AI can not do. So it'll degrade over time - especially as people figure out how to compose posts to evade them. That is if it is necessary at all anymore.
I guess my point is, the lack of enforcement for COVID-19 misinformation doesn't surprise me at all.
Right. Twitter is a misinformation platform. I'm still using it for trusted voices but that's about it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:21 pm Right. Twitter is a misinformation platform. I'm still using it for trusted voices but that's about it.
I'm not sure if you've seen what's happening in our state, but yesterday it was revealed that we're waiting for our governor to sign legislation related to mandatory K-12 education on separating social media fact and fiction:
Though Garden State schools already have some requirements to teach the topic, the state Legislature has overwhelmingly passed a bipartisan bill (S588) that would mandate a state Department of Education committee to develop specific statewide guidelines for lessons on information literacy across digital, visual, and technological media.

The state Senate voted to pass the measure 36-0 last Monday, after the state Assembly approved it 61-8, with four abstentions, last month. It’s now up to Gov. Phil Murphy to decide whether to sign it into law or veto it.
Note:
“The information literacy bill is a good start to ensure that New Jersey students will be productive global citizens that do not contribute to the spread of misinformation,” Dziedzic-Elliott said during a Senate committee hearing on the measure.

State Sen. Michael Doherty, R-Warren, expressed concern about the standards, citing examples of how he felt certain media organizations were slanted or punished for having slant.

“It seems today we have these gatekeepers controlling information and sending the country on wild goose chases,” Doherty said.

But he ultimately voted for the bill.
As you can imagine, the opinions of State Senator Doherty are being echoed across local social media, with claims that the "liberal groomers" at schools and the state BOE are going to push their agenda through kids.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:29 pmAs you can imagine, the opinions of State Senator Doherty are being echoed across local social media, with claims that the "liberal groomers" at schools and the state BOE are going to push their agenda through kids.
Let's hope folks push back with the fact that Doherty voted for it. :?

I'm not surprised to be honest. I'm glad they are doing this since we're in for a tough time ahead where information will have to be rigorously scrutinized. We are in an era where there is just too much information and the attack relies on people not having the resources, inclination, or capacity to separate the good from the bad in the flood.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wish someone on his staff would deboost him. Just enough to make him think he's got an audience when in fact he's got no voice. :twisted:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
malchior

Post by malchior »

Twitter has quickly gone full cesspool.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Just taking a quick half-hour to do serious investigative journalism.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Uh uh says a liar!

malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh good lord. Musk deputized Matt Taibbi for this Hunter Biden expose! My strong prediction is this is going to be absolutely nothing. Apparently the big reveal so far was that someone from the Biden campaign wrote an email to complain about some Tweets (versus clicking Report a Tweet!). ANd someone "Handled" them. Nefarious as fuck.

Edit: Some context to my 'Oh good lord'. The Tweet below is a nice jumping off point to talk about what 'throwing it all away' is about. Matt Taibbi's reputation, which probably was 75% gone anyway. He had been a promising investigative reporter at one time. He did some great work at Rolling Stone but he went off the rails and dove face first into conspiracy land.

Holman

Post by Holman »

FYI, the phrase "Twitter Files" is already being rapidly promoted across social media as a shorthand for the notion that Musk has exposed a massive MSM (and presumably a Deep State and Democrat Party) effort to suppress the "truth" about Hunter Biden's laptop.

The actual facts will probably amount to nothing. The whole point is to produce memes and hashtags suggesting that it is Everything.
Last edited by Holman on Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The GQP twitterverse is melting down because Musk hasn't appeared yet. Hillary Epsteined him
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

malchior wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:40 pm

Uh uh says a liar!

To be fair, these aren't in contradiction - one says that there is an increase of hate speech on twitter, the other is saying hate speech is shown/viewed less than in the past - it could be they're not making it as visible as in the past (so maybe you don't see it unless you're following that person or something).

That said, until he shows evidence to back up his claim, I'd assume that he is probably lying.
malchior

Post by malchior »

They aren't mutually exclusive but he drops this after the NYT piece appears? Dubious. I'm sure he'll claim the algorithm doesn't push them even if maybe more is there. Sure I suppose but it's replicating the Facebook problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Whatever happened to the GOP, "we have Hunter's laptop. Big news is about to break."?

Also, whatever happened to DJMusk who is not traditionally conservative or liberal and his being a champion for the protection of privacy from just a few days ago?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The hardest lies to stop telling are the ones we tell ourselves.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:28 pm Whatever happened to the GOP, "we have Hunter's laptop. Big news is about to break."?
They've had Hunter's laptop for more than two years. It's pretty weird that its earth-shaking revelations haven't come out yet.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:02 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:28 pm Whatever happened to the GOP, "we have Hunter's laptop. Big news is about to break."?
They've had Hunter's laptop for more than two years. It's pretty weird that its earth-shaking revelations haven't come out yet.
You know what Earth shaking event took place more than two years ago? Yeah, that's right, we've got a potential new theory as to where covid came from.

(Sure, it sounds crazy, but that's exactly why I'm sure some people on the far right will spread this theory). :ninja:
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Defiant wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:58 am
You know what Earth shaking event took place more than two years ago? Yeah, that's right, we've got a potential new theory as to where covid came from.

(Sure, it sounds crazy, but that's exactly why I'm sure some people on the far right will spread this theory). :ninja:
I don’t understand. Not sure I want to understand.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A virus is a virus, right?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Good news: Musk hasn't opened floodgates of disinformation.
aside from the recent spate of fake certified accounts, the platform has not become a larger source of online disinformation since Musk took over, according to Christopher Ahlberg, chief executive of Recorded Future. The Somerville firm is a leader in tracking the activities of hackers, spies, and crooks across the Internet.

“I don’t think ... fundamentally the amount of disinformation has changed because of this Twitter thing,” Ahlberg said. “It’s probably more the perception that it has changed than it actually changed. But we should certainly watch for it.”
state-sponsored misinformation was less of a problem during the US midterm election than in 2016 and other elections, Ahlberg noted. That may be in part because Russia is focused on Ukraine, while China and Iran have domestic protests to deal with.

“It seems like things calmed down dramatically,” he said. ”I don’t think that guarantees anything for the next election. But it certainly was better this time than it’s been in a while.”
Bad news: Hate speech's rise on Twitter is unprecedented.
Before Elon Musk bought Twitter, slurs against Black Americans showed up on the social media service an average of 1,282 times a day. After the billionaire became Twitter’s owner, they jumped to 3,876 times a day.

Slurs against gay men appeared on Twitter 2,506 times a day on average before Musk took over. Afterward, their use rose to 3,964 times a day.

And antisemitic posts referring to Jews or Judaism soared more than 61 percent in the two weeks after Musk acquired the site.
The shift in speech is just the tip of a set of changes on the service under Musk. Accounts that Twitter used to regularly remove — such as those that identify as part of the Islamic State group, which were banned after the US government classified it as a terror group — have come roaring back. Accounts associated with QAnon, a vast far-right conspiracy theory, have paid for and received verified status on Twitter, giving them a sheen of legitimacy.

These changes are alarming, researchers said, adding that they had never seen such a sharp increase in hate speech, problematic content, and formerly banned accounts in such a short period on a mainstream social media platform.

“Elon Musk sent up the Bat Signal to every kind of racist, misogynist, and homophobe that Twitter was open for business,” said Imran Ahmed, CEO of the Center for Countering Digital Hate. “They have reacted accordingly.”
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

For all youse posting quotes and images from Twitter, complaining about its demise in various ways, why are you still using and supporting it? Just stop. Looks like they are losing users, and losing ad revenue. Your continued usage is propping it up! :P (alone! :D)

Yes, some of you will definitely have withdrawal symptoms, likley to lose sleep thinking about all the great posts you're missing, but you can get through it! Maybe someone can create a post on here as a support group for the Twitterites among us.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:18 pm For all youse posting quotes and images from Twitter, complaining about its demise in various ways, why are you still using and supporting it? Just stop. Looks like they are losing users, and losing ad revenue. Your continued usage is propping it up! :P (alone! :D)

Yes, some of you will definitely have withdrawal symptoms, likley to lose sleep thinking about all the great posts you're missing, but you can get through it! Maybe someone can create a post on here as a support group for the Twitterites among us.
When I hotlink a tweet it's pulled from another source that is also hotlinking. I go twitter on my own exactly none of the time. But I think the same thing when I do hotlink. :oops:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kurth wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:42 am
Defiant wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:58 am

I don’t understand. Not sure I want to understand.
COVID started as a virus on Hunter Biden’s laptop.

Spread the news.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:48 pm COVID started as a virus on Hunter Biden’s laptop.

Spread the news.
Virus? Spread!
Not sure what achievement that unlocks.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Complaining about it's demise? Oh, no. I'm watching with amusement as something I despise is destroying something I despise and vice-versa. Whichever loses, I win.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Bulwark
While normal humans who denied Republicans their red wave were enjoying an epic sports weekend, an insular community of MAGA activists and online contrarians led by the world’s richest man (for now) were getting riled up about a cache of leaked emails revealing that the former actor James Woods and Chinese troll accounts were not allowed to post ill-gotten photos of Hunter Biden’s hog on a private company’s microblogging platform 25 months ago.

Now if you are one of the normals—someone who would never think about posting another person’s penis on your social media account; has no desire to see politicians’ kids’ penises when scrolling social media; doesn’t understand why there are other people out there who care one way or another about the moderation policies surrounding stolen penis photos; or can’t even figure out what it is that I’m talking about—then this might seem like a gratuitous matter for an article. Sadly, it is not.

Because among Republican members of Congress, leading conservative media commentators, contrarian substackers, conservative tech bros, and friends of Donald Trump, the ability to post Hunter Biden’s cock shots on Twitter is the number-one issue in America this weekend. They believe that if they are not allowed to post porno, our constitutional republic may be in jeopardy.

I truly, truly wish I were joking
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote:Complaining about it's demise? Oh, no. I'm watching with amusement as something I despise is destroying something I despise and vice-versa. Whichever loses, I win.
Enlarge Image
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's so awesome the the Twitterfiles aren't getting any traction outside the derposphere.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Elon seems to be on a one-way trip down the rabbit hole into QAnon land at this point.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If it's not true it should have been.

To clarify, in general I am not in favor of censorship, however:

A. It is a private company, not the government, ergo no 1st Amendment violation.

B. It's Florida Man who among other things wants to revoke the Constitution.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Any discussions about 1st amendment are "spirit of" type discussions for the most part. The problem is that the idiots musk is dangerously flirting with aren't sophisticated enough to know the difference. And Musk is indeed playing a very dangerous game. He is going to get someone hurt. He is releasing without context internal deliberations and then framing them as some conspiracy to suppress right-wing speech but worse it is turning into Pizzagate v2.0.

It is starting to look like all the initial fears were justified but somehow it is worse. He has stoked this new Pizzagate that is consuming Elon's now former allies. The now former Twitter safety board resigned in the midst of the dump and Elon doubled down on publicly pointing a finger at them. If any of them are harmed then Musk needs to pay for it. Jack Dorsey is seeing threats leveled at him openly on the platform now saying the platform was ignoring abuse against children. The vile stuff that is getting people killed in the real world now has a safe space. Seems like Dorsey might quickly come to regret talking Musk into taking over Twitter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I wonder if this is clear enough for NYT? In any case, he is burning it all to the ground. I can't help but think advertisers are heading for the door. The guy has full on lost his mind. He plugged in to the filth stream and is drinking it all in.