Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:37 pm
“Every time he tells people, ‘Oh, wear a cloth mask,’ he is actually endangering people. If you are around someone with COVID, you don’t want to wear a mask, because they don’t work,” he said.
That one really stuck out among a treasure trove of POS quotes.

Also, don't know if you listen to the actual angry nuts, but they're all crowing about how we should have listened to them and never cancelled studies in to if COVID was made in Wuhan because we're still studying to find out if COVID was made in Wuhan. Parse that for a moment. Seriously. They're righteously indignant because they get called them conspiracy theorists. See! Still investigating COVID origins! Trump did Win! Paul Pelosi is a closet homosexual and democrats sacrifice children from their sex cult ring.

Paul is not mentioned here and I am sure his ego took a hit

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/10 ... -wuhan-lab
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And so it starts

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/04/politics ... index.html

Republicans eye top targets

GOP lawmakers have been laying the groundwork for their investigative priorities for months, and committee leaders plan to sketch out those plans in greater detail in the immediate weeks following the midterms.

Republicans have already sent over 500 preservation letter requests to the Biden administration, while leadership has been hosting briefings and classes for GOP staffers on how to best use the oversight tools that could be at their disposal.

The White House, too, has been staffing up and preparing for an onslaught of probes and potential impeachment proceedings into the administration.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:57 pm And so it starts

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/04/politics ... index.html

The White House, too, has been staffing up and preparing for an onslaught of probes and potential impeachment proceedings into the administration.
Hopefully by reading up on the Trump/GOP playbook.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ugly stuff.

This excitement of winning was short-lived for Jackson. Right now, the board is currently responsible for what K-12 public education looks like in the state. But a newly-revived bill would strip the members from developing education policy, establishing financial standards and implementing programs.

“They’re looking for solutions to a problem in the wrong place,” the member-elect said.

Republican state Sen. Bill Reineke (R-Tiffin) says the department of education needs a massive overhaul to improve student success, such as combatting the struggling remediation rate and offering more workforce development opportunities. The lawmaker was unavailable to speak Friday.

“Senate Bill 178 addresses this need by refocusing our system at the state level on what matters most: our children and their future,” Reineke said in his testimony.

The only responsibilities left for the board would be selecting the state superintendent, licensing teachers, handling staff disciplinary issues and making school territory transfer decisions.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did he mean to say "again" at the end of this?

McConnell: There is no room in the Republican Party for anti-Semitism or white supremacy. Anyone meeting with people advocating that point of view, in my judgement, are highly unlikely to ever be elected President
Also, F Mitch McConnell.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Not because it's wrong, but because it could prevent you from getting elected. F that turtle.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I could give two shits why McConnell said it. I'm just glad he did. Eyes on the prize: Trump cannot be the GOP nominee. He cannot be reelected. Nothing else matters in comparison.

Also, F Mitch McConnell.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:19 pm I could give two shits why McConnell said it. I'm just glad he did. Eyes on the prize: Trump cannot be the GOP nominee. He cannot be reelected. Nothing else matters in comparison.

Also, F Mitch McConnell.
I would say my feelings on this are: (1) it's better that he said this than said nothing; (2) what he said is meaningless, and McConnell will immediately reverse course, if Trump becomes the presumptive GOP nominee; and (3) F Mitch McConnell.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm glad he said it too but we will need to watch to see if he does meaningful things to make nominating and electing Trump more difficult. That battle is almost entirely within the control of state level officials. How they select delegates, run elections, and design primaries are all things that will either help or hurt Trump. I suspect they'll grease the skids for Trump but that's just gut speaking.

The question comes down to will McConnell and other prominent Republican leaders use their influence to undermine Trump? They can put pressure on those aforementioned officials but it remains to be seen. Or perhaps not seen since I don't know if we'll get that sort of visibility from the press. Media consolidation has burned down many of the local media organizations that used to watch that stuff.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:36 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:19 pm I could give two shits why McConnell said it. I'm just glad he did. Eyes on the prize: Trump cannot be the GOP nominee. He cannot be reelected. Nothing else matters in comparison.

Also, F Mitch McConnell.
I would say my feelings on this are: (1) it's better that he said this than said nothing; (2) what he said is meaningless, and McConnell will immediately reverse course, if Trump becomes the presumptive GOP nominee; and (3) F Mitch McConnell.
He's said as much in the past. If the TFG is the candidate, then McHumanskinmask will fellate him.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:01 pm He's said as much in the past. If the TFG is the candidate, then McHumanskinmask will fellate him.
I dunno. Mitch would never openly damage GOP electoral prospects, but it was already clear from about 2018 onward that he and Trump shared an intense mutual hatred. They got along mainly by ignoring each other, which was possible because Trump cared very little about anything happening in Congress.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I don’t think it’s time for DeSantis to have his own thread, and I’d argue this is equally about Trump in 2024, so I’m putting it here:

Just Wait Until You Get to Know Ron DeSantis
People who haven’t met him think he’s a hot commodity. People who have met him aren’t so sure.

All the while Trump will be running DeSantis through his patented dehumanizer machine, which made such mashed mush of his rivals in 2016. Trump’s efficient cartooning of “Low-Energy Jeb,” “Liddle Marco,” and “Lyin’ Ted” left them flailing pathetically.

“On a debate stage, all of Trump’s strengths go straight to DeSantis’s weaknesses,” Stipanovich told me. Trump has energy and presence; DeSantis “is dour and doesn’t improvise particularly well.” People who are appropriately sycophantic to Trump swear he possesses a certain charm and charisma. Even those who are eager to vouch for DeSantis don’t say this about him. He would launch any charm offensive unarmed.

“My sense is that Trump would gut DeSantis with a dull deer antler,” said Stipanovich, who has a taste for violent animal metaphors. He also predicted that “Trump would club DeSantis like a baby seal.”
I’m afraid this analysis may be correct. DeSantis might get absolutely steamrolled by Trump.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Trump being the candidate in 2024 may be the biggest gift ever for Democrats. The problem is I don't want even the tiniest chance I have to deal with him for four more years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:35 pm Trump being the candidate in 2024 may be the biggest gift ever for Democrats.
People say this often but I still don't see the model for it. He would have a real shot at winning even without shenanigans. And he has a real shot at nomination barring some significant changes in the primary process. I think people somehow still don't get how close we came to him winning. None of the big swings in the 2020 election were in competitive states. States Clinton barely lost were barely won by Biden. That's what changed the outcome. That's not a durable result.
The problem is I don't want even the tiniest chance I have to deal with him for four more years.
I agree. It's far worse if he gets the nomination. Then we're jumping up to ~40+% chance he wins. That's probably optimistic. :(
Kurth wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:04 pm I don’t think it’s time for DeSantis to have his own thread, and I’d argue this is equally about Trump in 2024, so I’m putting it here:

People who haven’t met him think he’s a hot commodity. People who have met him aren’t so sure.
This isn't the first time I've heard the argument. He hasn't been on the national stage for any significant period of time and he doesn't really address anything of substance unless he has controlled the outcome to the nth degree. That won't work in a Presidential race.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Well, that didn't age well.
Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee deleted their Oct. 6 tweet that appeared supportive of Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, after months of controversy over the rapper's antisemitic remarks.

"Kanye. Elon. Trump," read the tweet, which held up the rapper alongside Elon Musk, the new owner of Twitter who has been bringing back right-wing figures who were once banned, and former President Donald Trump.

The tweet was deleted Thursday, as Ye was launching a lengthy antisemitic tirade during an appearance on the show InfoWars, hosted by conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who is known for promoting falsehoods around events like the Sandy Hook shooting in 2012.

"I love Jewish people, but I also love Nazis," Ye said on the show Thursday. He also repeatedly expressed his admiration for Adolf Hitler.
I'm glad that House Republicans still have some lines that they won't cross publically.
Isgrimnur

Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Why the fuck is an ‘official’ committee account tweeting out bullshit in the first place?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Because that's what they do. You should see the things the account tweeted during some of the January 6 Committee hearings.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I mean, their official position is pretty much pro-bullshit.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:33 am I mean, their official position is pretty much pro-bullshit.
Yep. Much less about actual governance and more about performative bullshit.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:10 am Why the fuck is an ‘official’ committee account tweeting out bullshit in the first place?
Jim Jordan, as ranking members, has the keys.

From wikipedia:
Jordan was an assistant wrestling coach with Ohio State University's wrestling program from 1987 to 1995.[11] Ohio State University began an independent investigation in April 2018[12] into allegations of sexual misconduct against former wrestling team physician Richard Strauss who served as the team physician during Jordan's tenure as assistant coach.[13][14] Strauss died by suicide in 2005.[15]

In June 2018, at least eight former wrestlers said that Jordan had been aware of, but did not respond to, allegations of sexual misconduct by Strauss.[16][17] Jordan's locker was adjacent to Strauss', and while he was assistant wrestling coach, created and awarded a "King of the Sauna" certificate to the member of the team who spent the most time in the sauna "talking smack".[18] Wrestlers commonly use a sauna to “make weight” by shedding weight through sweating.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:49 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:10 am Why the fuck is an ‘official’ committee account tweeting out bullshit in the first place?
Jim Jordan, as ranking members, has the keys.

From wikipedia:
Jordan was an assistant wrestling coach with Ohio State University's wrestling program from 1987 to 1995.[11] Ohio State University began an independent investigation in April 2018[12] into allegations of sexual misconduct against former wrestling team physician Richard Strauss who served as the team physician during Jordan's tenure as assistant coach.[13][14] Strauss died by suicide in 2005.[15]

In June 2018, at least eight former wrestlers said that Jordan had been aware of, but did not respond to, allegations of sexual misconduct by Strauss.[16][17] Jordan's locker was adjacent to Strauss', and while he was assistant wrestling coach, created and awarded a "King of the Sauna" certificate to the member of the team who spent the most time in the sauna "talking smack".[18] Wrestlers commonly use a sauna to “make weight” by shedding weight through sweating.
And this is also one of the guys who McCarthy wanted on the Jan 6 Committee before Pelosi aptly booted him for being a member who would disrupt and corrupt all the work.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I wish Mass. embodied the national Republican Party. The state GOP faces a choice: new leadership or MOTS?
In the last four years, the deeply divided Massachusetts Republican Party has lost races for governor, lieutenant governor, more than a dozen legislative seats, and every statewide office and congressional seat, as well as hundreds of thousands of dollars from its campaign account and about 30,000 registered voters.

Yet the man who presided over the series of defeats as the chairman of the state Republican Party, Jim Lyons, is not only likely to pursue reelection in January, party operatives said, but could prevail.

On the heels of a midterm election that rebuked former president Donald Trump and the extremist candidates who follow his lead, the state GOP finds itself at a crossroads, gripped by an identity crisis. For years, the party has been split between conservatives who back Lyons and Trump, and more moderate Republicans in the mold of departing Governor Charlie Baker.

The chairman’s election will force the party to decide: opt for new leadership and a new approach, or continue its hard-line tactics that risk losing more races, money, and membership?

Some in the party fear that Republicans, already endangered in Massachusetts politics, could become completely irrelevant if party leaders don’t recalibrate.

“There is either real change on the horizon or there is no Republican Party in Massachusetts,” said state Representative Shawn Dooley, who lost the 2021 party chair race to Lyons in a close vote. “It’s now or never.”
While the party lost big in legislative races, some in the GOP found hope in the results of the driver’s license question, which they lost by 7 percentage points — far closer than any statewide Republican candidate came to besting a Democrat. Some Republicans say their side could have eked out a win if the party had better fund-raising and organization.

They fear that without new leadership, there is no stopping the party’s backslide into irrelevance, and that the moderate Republicans who have had electoral success here will have no reason to work with the state party.

If Lyons wins, the party could “see a mass exodus of the more reasonable and competent members,” said state committee member Mike Valanzola, warning of dried up fund-raising and a closed party headquarters.

“That’s the picture if [Lyons] wins again. There’ll be nothing left but him in his barn.”
The "driver's license question" asked voters to repeal a new law granting licenses to undocumented immigrants.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:50 pm
While the party lost big in legislative races, some in the GOP found hope in the results of the driver’s license question, which they lost by 7 percentage points
:lol:

"Yeah, we lost every baseball game this season, but in the last game we lost by less than double digits!"
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:44 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:35 pm Trump being the candidate in 2024 may be the biggest gift ever for Democrats.
People say this often but I still don't see the model for it. He would have a real shot at winning even without shenanigans. And he has a real shot at nomination barring some significant changes in the primary process. I think people somehow still don't get how close we came to him winning. None of the big swings in the 2020 election were in competitive states. States Clinton barely lost were barely won by Biden. That's what changed the outcome. That's not a durable result.
The problem is I don't want even the tiniest chance I have to deal with him for four more years.
I agree. It's far worse if he gets the nomination. Then we're jumping up to ~40+% chance he wins. That's probably optimistic. :(
Kurth wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:04 pm I don’t think it’s time for DeSantis to have his own thread, and I’d argue this is equally about Trump in 2024, so I’m putting it here:

This isn't the first time I've heard the argument. He hasn't been on the national stage for any significant period of time and he doesn't really address anything of substance unless he has controlled the outcome to the nth degree. That won't work in a Presidential race.
If "things" I read in another post here are true about 'the people around Trump', apparently only the crazies are left. That's different than before, when he had some serious conservatives to reign in The Crazy. Apparently that is no longer true, so the bungling SHOULD be epic. Not just gaffes, or poor choices in dinner party guests, but hopefully also strategic mistakes that someone who only considers themselves, the grift, and "praise" make vs solely focusing on winning. If he's truly only now surrounded by toadies who suck up to that massive ego, I think his chances of winning go WAY down. In yet another thread, someone mentioned that he's having a hard time getting decent lawyers for all his legal trouble, because no serious, or capable lawyer will get near his dumpster fire. Seems to have also happened to his posse (at the end of his term the White House was apparently split between self titled "Team Normal" and "Team Crazy" - those who were trying to reign his crazier tendencies in, and those who fueled his crazy flame.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think it's almost certainly true that Trump has worse odds of winning the 2024 general than most leading GOP candidates. But (probably) much worse if he does win.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'd agree for sure that Trump is less favorable than almost any other serious GOP candidates for the general. He also has severe headwinds. And that is what makes the situation crazy. He is still the presumptive nominee barring "exotic" scenarios such as facing a single challenger for the nomination.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When you look at the deplorable candidates that were just elected in the midterms, it's pretty clear there's still more than enough people that will vote GOP no matter what. So when you take someone like TGF that can boost whatever the new "floor" is (40%?) to something much more competitive, I think there's valid reasons for concern - especially when you also need to account for all the cockamamie maps that have been crafted with gerrymandering.

Anyway, all they need to do is run the person that can attract enough of the quasi-GOP public to vote for them - the "libertarians" and "independents" that magically always seem to break towards whatever the GOP is pedaling and suddenly the GOP is within reach of election instead of being relegated to the dustbin of history as they should be.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:21 pm I think it's almost certainly true that Trump has worse odds of winning the 2024 general than most leading GOP candidates. But (probably) much worse if he does win.
TFG:
“Do you throw the Presidential Election Results of 2020 OUT and declare the RIGHTFUL WINNER, or do you have a NEW ELECTION? A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution,”
If that is not enough to sink him in the general, then we're not coming back in my lifetime. It's over. What would it take, has often been asked. If "fuck the constitution" is not enough to turn his voters against him and they deliver him a win, then stick a fork in us.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/03/politics ... index.html
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:06 pm
El Guapo wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:21 pm I think it's almost certainly true that Trump has worse odds of winning the 2024 general than most leading GOP candidates. But (probably) much worse if he does win.
TFG:
“Do you throw the Presidential Election Results of 2020 OUT and declare the RIGHTFUL WINNER, or do you have a NEW ELECTION? A Massive Fraud of this type and magnitude allows for the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution,”
If that is not enough to sink him in the general, then we're not coming back in my lifetime. It's over. What would it take, has often been asked. If "fuck the constitution" is not enough to turn his voters against him and they deliver him a win, then stick a fork in us.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/03/politics ... index.html
FWIW saying crazy shit like this in December of 2022 means next to nothing at all. He's "running" but no one is paying attention in any meaningful way.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

But that should run in every ad against him.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

She's a great leader-by-example. Of what not to do.

Her stalwart defense of Kanye is a great teaching moment for the halls of Congress.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

“Don’t say gay.”

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is going to be fun:

Good luck, Mike!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pillow Fight!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:29 pm Pillow Fight!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
:lol: :lol:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifters all the way:

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is the cat fight I want to see:

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Return fire:

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, I've missed something.

So there is now a rift in the extreme GOP position to the point where one of them is capable of saying that blindly following Kevin McCarthy is on the same level as Jewish Space Lasers?