[Netflix] Wednesday

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

[Netflix] Wednesday

Post by Smoove_B »

There was some chatter when it was originally announced, but I'm starting the official thread with the release of the first full length (?) teaser trailer.

Coming "Q4 2022". I'd think they're targeting October but no official date has been set.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Re: [Netflix] Wednesday

Post by Jaymann »

I thought this a thread about what is on Netflix today.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Added to my watch list. Looks like a must see for me. Wife might even be into it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've never liked The Addams Family, and that's okay. But what I find so weird is that this IP is popular enough to warrant so many remakes, reboots, etc. There are a ton of Addams Family shows and movies out there and it boggles my mind.
Last edited by McNutt on Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:49 am I thought this a thread about what is on Netflix today.
...and we see it get bumped every Tuesday around midnight.
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

McNutt wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:21 pm I've never liked The Addams Family, and that's okay. But what I find so weird is that this IP is popular enough to warrant so many remakes, reboots, etc. There are a ton of Addams Family shows and movies out there and it boggles my mind.
I was thinking the same thing. There must be this fanatical core of Addams Family fans that I've simply never run across in my geeky fandom travels.

This looks mildly interesting. I may give it a look.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Was skeptical about casting Luis Guzmán as Gomez, but he is probably going to bring a nice twist to it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Holman

Post by Holman »

McNutt wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:21 pm I've never liked The Addams Family, and that's okay. But what I find so weird is that this IP is popular enough to warrant so many remakes, reboots, etc. There are a ton of Addams Family shows and movies out there and it boggles my mind.
I think this is less about the original Addams family than about Tim Burton.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We debated putting Adam’s Gashleycrumb Tinies in our newborn’s bedroom back in the day. It’s the alphabet in Children’s names and how they died. We realized not all of the family would appreciate the joke:

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs…
B is for Basil devoured by bears…
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A reviewer at Cracked.com observed that the essence of the Addams family is their uniqueness in a homogeneous world. By sending Wednesday to Goth Hogwarts, Burton is placing the Addamses in a community of like misfits.

Heresy or not, I'll watch a few episodes. I'm not a purist. Go ahead, try to entertain me. :tjg:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:12 pm We debated putting Adam’s Gashleycrumb Tinies in our newborn’s bedroom back in the day. It’s the alphabet in Children’s names and how they died. We realized not all of the family would appreciate the joke:

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs…
B is for Basil devoured by bears…
We also have this print. It’s marvelous. We also held back mounting it on the wall.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I remember this one from my mis-spent youth:
I remember this one by heart:

E is for Ernie, a genie who lives in the ceiling. Ernie loves eggs. Go to the refrigerator and find an egg. Throw it at the ceiling and yell, "Catch, Ernie, catch!" Ernie will reach down and catch the egg.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm still not sold on Luis Guzman either. I love the guy as a character actor but he has about as much of a shot with Catherine Zeta-Jones as I do. But hey, the rest of it looks good and I'm willing to keep an open mind.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:46 pm I'm still not sold on Luis Guzman either. I love the guy as a character actor but he has about as much of a shot with Catherine Zeta-Jones as I do. But hey, the rest of it looks good and I'm willing to keep an open mind.
Yeah. Me neither. He just seems/feels a bit off. And I didn't even realize that was Catherine Zeta-Jones. I had to go back and re-watch the trailer (and pause it). I think I was too disturbed by him every time. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Think they are going more for the classic cartoon look for Gomez....

exclude duplicates
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:46 pm I'm still not sold on Luis Guzman either. I love the guy as a character actor but he has about as much of a shot with Catherine Zeta-Jones as I do. But hey, the rest of it looks good and I'm willing to keep an open mind.
Seriously, this is probably the most authentic casting for Gomez Addams to date.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think I've read that Charles Addams based Morticia on Greta Garbo and Gomez on Peter Lorre.

Hard to see them as a couple in any other context.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

This looks pretty interesting.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My daughter can rock that look. Maybe get her ready for the inevitable reboot.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Added the full trailer to the OP and deleted the teaser.

Coming 11/23. Nice little surprise at the end. Oh, and so did Uncle Fester.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My friend says he has watched 2 episodes and its pretty good. He is notoriously hard to please in his tastes.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I finished it. It was not a comedy like I was expecting. It was like a weird murder mystery of Wednesday's time at the Nevermore school. I still enjoyed it but I would have rather of had the comedy.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched the first episode. I kind of wish they'd stuck with Wednesday dealing with normal kids at a normal high school. I also wish they'd not given us a world in which monsters are every day occurrences to normal humans. It kind of takes away some of the fun of the Addams being the Addams.

I'm struggling also with the CW level storytelling with the decidedly adult gore and violence. Although I guess since shows like The Walking Dead and others have pretty much made gore into a mainstream thing at this point, I shouldn't.

But then again, Sabrina had all the stuff I'm kvetching about above and I absolutely loved it. So maybe it's just sour grapes on my part that that show went bye bye.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've enjoyed the first two episodes. Was pleasantly surprised to see Riki Lindhome in it.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'm in love with Wednesday's dance moves. :wub: She's got Uma beat.
Stop funding for NPR
RM2

Post by RM2 »

Watched 3 episodes and enjoying it so far.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

em2nought wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:52 pm I'm in love with Wednesday's dance moves. :wub: She's got Uma beat.
Spoiler:
I wish I could've watched 10 minutes of that without cuts. The interwebs say Jenna Ortega choreographed it herself. Girl can move and doesn't break character.
RM2

Post by RM2 »

and the music is The Cramps, WoW
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:02 pm I watched the first episode. I kind of wish they'd stuck with Wednesday dealing with normal kids at a normal high school. I also wish they'd not given us a world in which monsters are every day occurrences to normal humans. It kind of takes away some of the fun of the Addams being the Addams.

I'm struggling also with the CW level storytelling with the decidedly adult gore and violence. Although I guess since shows like The Walking Dead and others have pretty much made gore into a mainstream thing at this point, I shouldn't.

But then again, Sabrina had all the stuff I'm kvetching about above and I absolutely loved it. So maybe it's just sour grapes on my part that that show went bye bye.
Ha yeah, I really miss Sabrina. This show definitely gives me similar vibes (it's like Sabrina crossed with Harry Potter), but does make me wish Sabrina would come back in some shape or form. She did make a guest appearance on Riverdale last year in case you missed it, but it was really short.

I definitely enjoyed Wednesday more than I thought I would, just finished it last night. The ending wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but all in all I was pretty happy with the show.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I now feel like Kevin Bacon in "Stir of Echoes" after listening to a particular scene again. :lol: Can't believe I couldn't place what I was hearing. :doh:
Stop funding for NPR
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A few mild spoilers.

I'm halfway through, and I'm really enjoying this. Jenna Ortega is doing a fantastic job, and I found Gomez to be spot-on (with the original comics, not the modern interpretation.) I will say, though, that Jones' Morticia just didn't work for me. I'm not sure why. It took me forever to recognize Gwendolyn Christie or Christina Ricci. The prior I only recognized by her voice, and the latter I didn't notice until I looked at a cast list. The Harry Potter meets the Addams Family angle with a modern angle really worked, too.

It isn't really a world of monsters. The Addams Family has always taken place in a world with a few monsters out and about. This just focuses on a location where they're focused. Outside of Jericho (which deals with their existence due to the school being there), the rest of the world is likely the same as what we've always seen.

And the thing is, it is a comedy. Gomez had his over-the-top exuberance in the face of absolutely everything. Fester was always about absurdity. Wednesday's comedy has always been her deadpan matter-of-factness about things that everyone else finds shocking, combined with a casual murderousness, and that's here in spades. I actually find that the 'school of outcasts' setting emphasizes it rather than lessening it. We see social outcasts who are doing their best (generally) to fit in with both their family's expectations and with society at large. They feel like, essentially, normal people with something 'extra', while Wednesday (and the rest of the Addamses so far as I've seen them) seem normal on the surface. And yet, even surrounded by outcasts, they're completely out of place. I like that, and there are a lot of metaphors for society you can dig out of it.

In fact, I'd be willing to say that this could play as a direct follow up to the 1990s Addams Family films. The Wednesday from that could very well age into this one.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wish they’d gone with someone other than Fred Armisen for Fester. Other than that, I thought it was a fun Sabrina type show.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Enid is a perfect foil for Wednesday, and Thing manages to convey both meaning and expression. It's a good series and I'm only sad that we have to wait over a year for the next season.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:26 pm Enid is a perfect foil for Wednesday, and Thing manages to convey both meaning and expression.
If Wednesday wasn't so great, Thing may have stolen the show. :wub:
Stop funding for NPR
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:26 pm Enid is a perfect foil for Wednesday,
We finished it up a couple days ago and I told my wife I think I may actually like Enid more than Wednesday which is a bit odd, given, as you might expect based on my profile pic, I identify pretty strongly with Wednesday.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

RM2 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:04 am and the music is The Cramps, WoW
Never heard of it or them before, but now I'm digging it on it's own even. :dance:
Stop funding for NPR
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, uh... that dance scene. Which was awesome. There's been a little controversy after an interview.
"...it’s crazy because it was my first day with COVID so it was awful to film.”

Wait, what?

“Yeah, I woke up and – it’s weird, I never get sick and when I do it’s not very bad – I had the body aches. I felt like I’d been hit by a car and that a little goblin had been let loose in my throat and was scratching the walls of my esophagus. They were giving me medicine between takes because we were waiting on the positive result.”

MGM, the production company behind Wednesday, confirmed to NME via email that “strict COVID protocols were followed and once the positive test was confirmed production removed Jenna from set.”
:doh:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Stop funding for NPR
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Renewed:
In a statement, showrunners Alfred Gough and Miles Millar say: :=It’s been incredible to create a show that has connected with people across the world. Thrilled to continue Wednesday’s tortuous journey into season two. We can’t wait to dive head first into another season and explore the kooky spooky world of Nevermore. Just need to make sure Wednesday hasn’t emptied the pool first.”

Producers are also said to be exploring ideas for a spin-off, and have already teased second-season plans in prior interviews. It’s not clear how involved producer-director Tim Burton will be with season two as yet.