World internet speeds

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: World internet speeds

Post by Daehawk »

If ya move to Chattanooga you can get 10gb/10gb
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:47 pm I would get almost anything comparable over Comcast. The 300 down, 10 up is absurd, and with the unlimited data added in, it's more than it's worth. But the only alternative in the entire town is full wireless, which would give the entire family 50 down.

For the time being, I did some shopping at Comcast, and was able to upgrade to 900/20 with unlimited for a net -$20/month for the next year with no contract, so yeah - I took that. The upload speed still isn't great, but it will help when I need it, and it does open a few other options.
And then I got the urge to check, and discovered the modem that they are renting me doesn't support 900 down. So yet another Comcast support call and they're sending me a new 'Xfinity Gateway.' The last one was a pain in the ass, so I just stuck it in bridge mode and used my own routers. So I did some quick checking, and this model has known issues with bridge mode reducing speed.

So, again, I did some math, and did some checking, and screw it - I'm just going to order my own modem, return theirs, and save $15/month, which will pay for the modem in no time. By my estimate, I have already paid more than $700 for the awful 'Xfinity Gateway' that I'm replacing - enough to have bought two very high end modems outright. I feel like an idiot for having paid them for it for so long already.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sorry BH. The US is God awful on broadband . Prices, knowledge, support, tech, and costs are just wrong compared to the rest of the world. Then mix in politics and it gets to be a real mess.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:52 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:47 pm I would get almost anything comparable over Comcast. The 300 down, 10 up is absurd, and with the unlimited data added in, it's more than it's worth. But the only alternative in the entire town is full wireless, which would give the entire family 50 down.

For the time being, I did some shopping at Comcast, and was able to upgrade to 900/20 with unlimited for a net -$20/month for the next year with no contract, so yeah - I took that. The upload speed still isn't great, but it will help when I need it, and it does open a few other options.
And then I got the urge to check, and discovered the modem that they are renting me doesn't support 900 down. So yet another Comcast support call and they're sending me a new 'Xfinity Gateway.' The last one was a pain in the ass, so I just stuck it in bridge mode and used my own routers. So I did some quick checking, and this model has known issues with bridge mode reducing speed.
When I tried to upgrade via the website, it wouldn't take. I tried a second time and it wouldn't take. I then called. They told me it was done and to wait 24 hours. The next day, when I called about the modem, they told me the modem was on the way, and that my upgrade would activate within 24 hours. Now it's day three.

And the first person who put in my order screwed up by not checking the modem in the first place, as they weren't actually allowed to upgrade my speed to begin with. And the second person, from whom I requested a hardware upgrade, screwed up by not telling me that because they had to upgrade the modem, my speed couldn't be upgraded despite my current modem being compatible and supporting much higher speeds than I currently have. It seems that if you upgrade to 900-down internet with a modem that is only capable of 860 down, they will delay your entire order until they get you their new modem and get it hooked up. So rather than them upgrading me now from 300/10 to 860/20, they will leave me at 1/3 of the speed I could be using until they get around to shipping and delivering their new modem just for that extra 40 down.

And it took two website upgrade attempts and three customer service phone calls for somebody to figure this out.

And now I have to call back to figure out why I'm being shown the wrong bill when I check online (I'm being shown my mother-in-law's bill, and can't switch.) I figure that's good for another hour on the phone.

This is why people despise Comcast.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:28 am And now I have to call back to figure out why I'm being shown the wrong bill when I check online (I'm being shown my mother-in-law's bill, and can't switch.) I figure that's good for another hour on the phone.
... I was wrong. It was an hour and eight minutes. It turned out that the account was still in my ex-wife's name 15 years after we divorced and she moved out. After I was told that the issue was 'fixed' several years ago. Apparently, adding me as a manager for my mother-in-law's account un-fixed whatever they did and reduced me to 'user' on my own account. I wasn't even allowed to look at my own bill. :grund:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe cancel and open a new account.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:51 am Maybe cancel and open a new account.
And it looks like that may be the only solution if the transfer doesn't work, and I don't have the documents they want for the transfer of account. If so, it will involve canceling her account, shipping the hardware back to them, opening a new account, waiting for them to ship new hardware to us, and waiting for them to actually activate the account. I'd be looking at knocking my entire family offline for a week in order to fix their mistake.

Between their awful speeds for high prices, aggressive hard-sells, surprise charges (I'm dealing with one of those right now - they've been charging me for free equipment for six months without telling me), terrible support, deliberately obtuse marketing and website, and endless mistakes at their customers expense, the only only reason Comcast is able to continue to exist is because most of its customers don't have an alternative. People would abandon ship in a heartbeat if they could get away from these assholes.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:51 am Maybe cancel and open a new account.
I see what you didn't even realize you did there.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:54 pm Prices, knowledge, support, tech, and costs are just wrong compared to the rest of the world. Then mix in politics and it gets to be a real mess.
The Philippines is striving to implement 2G by the next millennium. It was horribly bad when I was last there 11 years ago, and it hasn't changed one bit. It was $60 for 2 weeks when I was there...I'm sure that didn't get any cheaper. Tech support is what the Philippines offer to other countries. In their own? It's along the lines of..."Well, it's going to suck. Get over it."
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My internet bill was $36.15. I'll take it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:17 am My internet bill was $36.15. I'll take it.
Mine is 29.99 for another 15 months. Then it goes to $85 for the same service unless I can finagle another sweetheart deal. Comcast is my sweetheart and there are no other girls in my world, so I'm not optimistic.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

EPB in Chattanooga just launched a 25gb service. Can only imagine the price.

EPB launches speedy 25gb service
Chattanooga’s EPB has launched their new community-wide 25 gigabits per second (25,000 Mbps) internet service, which is said to be available to all residential and commercial customers.

The 100% fiber optic network (with symmetrical upload and download speeds) follows EPB's historical launches of their gigabit and 10-gigabit services.
“EPB is keeping Chattanooga on the cutting edge,” said Vicky Gregg, EPB Board Chair. “We are once again breaking the typical approach for internet service providers by proactively upgrading to the latest technologies in anticipation of future needs. Our goal is to enable new frontiers for technical innovation and job creation for our customers to the benefit of our whole community.”
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like Charter finally got around to upping everyone to 500/20. Im getting 561/23
RMC

Post by RMC »

I was waiting for Elon to get Starlink in my area, but luckily I got to cancel my order. T-Mobile actually has thier home internet 5G service in my area. So about a month ago, I went from 8 down / 1 up. To about 300 down / 20 up, for 50/month.

The gateway, does sometimes lose connection, about once a week, but a simple reboot and it's right back. Which is better than my old ISP. So overall very happy with it.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I've been having a weird slowdown on my TV. I have Spectrum internet and TV. The "cable" TV is an "app" on my television. When I'm watching something popular like NFL or FIFA I get the loading circle (jerk), sometimes missing plays. Sonofa... :x :evil:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:05 pm I've been having a weird slowdown on my TV. I have Spectrum internet and TV. The "cable" TV is an "app" on my television. When I'm watching something popular like NFL or FIFA I get the loading circle (jerk), sometimes missing plays. Sonofa... :x :evil:
May not be just you. Ive been having pauses in my Spectrum Charter connection. Since they moved me to 500/20 Ive got them off and on it seems. Thought it was just me. Like just now I had a Twitch stream going and was playing Fortnite when suddenly in game I cant move or shoot. I can spin in place and raise my gun but thats it. Finally it dico'd me. When I exited my Twitch stream was network error lost also it showed.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This is crazy. I was watching the Chargers game on Spectrum TV through a direct cable connection. I was getting constant loading screen interruptions. I have the Spectrum app on my phone, so for the heck of it I loaded up the game on my phone. Perfect rendering without interruption, EVEN THOUGH IT'S RUNNING ON WI-FI THROUGH THE SAME SYSTEM. So I sat there with the phone on my lap and watched that every time the TV went to shit. This modern age. :roll:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you have a console like a xbox or pswhatever you can use it to stream to your tv.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:32 pm If you have a console like a xbox or pswhatever you can use it to stream to your tv.
Many cellphones and tablets can also do that wirelessly nowadays, at least if the TV supports Miracast.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Charter boosted my speed and didn't charge me. They keep telling me in their self back patting emails to me.

Now if they'd just get matching symmetrical up/down speeds.

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have 6.1 mbps. Upload 1.0. :oops:

But at least they pump in sunlight every third day.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I suppose I should update, since I've whined profusely in this thread. I now have Starlink's "Best Effort". Kinda like Residential, but not guaranteed. So, sometimes 5-6 MBS, sometimes 150 MBS. Drops packets, so not great but I'll take it over what I used to have.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Freyland wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:37 pm I suppose I should update, since I've whined profusely in this thread. I now have Starlink's "Best Effort". Kinda like Residential, but not guaranteed. So, sometimes 5-6 MBS, sometimes 150 MBS. Drops packets, so not great but I'll take it over what I used to have.
I am sure you checked, but is Verizon or T-Mobile home internet available in your area. I was just like you, and waiting for Starlink. But I checked Verizon and T-Mobile, and Tmobile was in my area. Simple set-up, and after switching all my phones over to T-mobile I am only paying 30/month for ~200 MB Down and 20MB up. Huge difference from my paltry 8 down 1 up from the cable company I had.

No issues, I can VPN to my work network, and the hospital system I work for can sometimes be a pain with VPN's. But I can now do Zoom meetings and use the computer for voice and video.

The speeds do fluctuate, but nothing below 80 MB so far.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Public Service Announcement.

You can check broadband availability in your area at the FCC's broadband map: https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov

Enter your address and you can see available options and their reported speeds. If you know that a provider listed is not actually offering the speed listed at your location, you can submit a challenge. This map is really quite critical to establishing broadband footprints to help the feds determine where funding should go to build additional broadband (e.g., you don't want to give a provider millions to build a network in a location where there are already a couple of solid options for high speed access).

Full disclosure: I work for AT&T, and we are involved in the process for seeking grants to build broadband infrastructure. This site is completely provider neutral, though.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:28 am Public Service Announcement.

You can check broadband availability in your area at the FCC's broadband map: https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov

Enter your address and you can see available options and their reported speeds. If you know that a provider listed is not actually offering the speed listed at your location, you can submit a challenge. This map is really quite critical to establishing broadband footprints to help the feds determine where funding should go to build additional broadband (e.g., you don't want to give a provider millions to build a network in a location where there are already a couple of solid options for high speed access).

Full disclosure: I work for AT&T, and we are involved in the process for seeking grants to build broadband infrastructure. This site is completely provider neutral, though.
Super suspicious that ATTILB shares a site that shows me AT&T as the top option with 5GB up/down fiber to the premises...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Sorry, but facts is facts, sir.

I'm jealous of that 5GB. I've got 1GB down and up here. The only provider that comes close is Comcast with 1.2GB down, but only 35MB up. (Others are satellite plus TMo fixed wireless, none of which goes above 100MB down.)
stessier

Post by stessier »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:51 am Sorry, but facts is facts, sir.

I'm jealous of that 5GB. I've got 1GB down and up here. The only provider that comes close is Comcast with 1.2GB down, but only 35MB up. (Others are satellite plus TMo fixed wireless, none of which goes above 100MB down.)
Would you really notice the difference? I'm at 300 Mbps with two daughters surgically attached to their devices and two adults who aren't far behind. We very rarely notice lag and it doesn't seem to effect streaming at all.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I would absolutely not notice the difference.

(Doesn't mean I don't still want to be able to say I have 5GB up/down.)
stessier

Post by stessier »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:20 pm I would absolutely not notice the difference.

(Doesn't mean I don't still want to be able to say I have 5GB up/down.)
:lol: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I received an email warning from Spectrum about bad service "due to the storms" and boy were they right. For the last week I am back to the 56k era with countless "that site cannot be reached" messages. :x
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:11 pm

Would you really notice the difference? I'm at 300 Mbps with two daughters surgically attached to their devices and two adults who aren't far behind. We very rarely notice lag and it doesn't seem to effect streaming at all.
I am on the 1GB plan. I can't justify the 5GB plan. Hell, I probably wouldn't have the 1GB plan if it wasn't necessary to eliminate data caps. I have 3 PC gamers in my house and generally at least 2 devices streaming something 4k on top of youtube/spotify and a couple dozen smart devices. Steam is the only thing that uses more than a fraction of the bandwidth and only when downloading a game, which isn't the most common scenario, though my 13yo does love to install/uninstall games far more often than the rest of us.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

EBT is set to offer 25gb plans. They already have 1gb and 10gb.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This morning I have:

Download Mbps
Upload Mbps
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

1 gig down, 20-25 mbps up. I don't need the 1 gig (I'd be fine with half of that), but I have to have it to get the upload rate, which I do use (and is still painfully slow.)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

My results are a bit unusual-

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You're doin it wrong.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Should I switch the cable around?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just turn the modem upside down.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

My local fiber provider was pretty variable on speed when they first hooked up our neighborhood. More recently they've been rock solid.

937 Mbps down / 940 Mbps up on the latest test.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:51 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:11 pm

I am on the 1GB plan. I can't justify the 5GB plan. Hell, I probably wouldn't have the 1GB plan if it wasn't necessary to eliminate data caps. I have 3 PC gamers in my house and generally at least 2 devices streaming something 4k on top of youtube/spotify and a couple dozen smart devices. Steam is the only thing that uses more than a fraction of the bandwidth and only when downloading a game, which isn't the most common scenario, though my 13yo does love to install/uninstall games far more often than the rest of us.
I've got 60mbps down and 5 up. Century Link. I have 3-4 gamers and my wife is always streaming. My kids usually have youtube streaming while playing a game. So we may have 2-4 streaming YT, one streaming Hulu, and 2-4 playing games. It's honestly fine. Century Link says 60mb and I always get 60mb. I do, however, prioritize one computer over all other devices, though. We have a provider that can do 1gb but I'm happy with a very solid 60 and paying half the price with no data caps.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni