MLB 22-23 Offseason

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

MLB 22-23 Offseason

Post by Isgrimnur »

ESPN
Two-time Cy Young winner Jacob deGrom agreed to a five-year, $185 million contract with the Texas Rangers, sources told ESPN, bringing the most talented pitcher in baseball to a pitching-starved organization that is making massive free agent investments for the second straight offseason.
The signing comes barely a year after the Rangers lavished shortstop Corey Seager with a 10-year, $325 million deal and signed second baseman Marcus Semien for seven years and $175 million. Along with Jon Gray's four-year, $56 million deal, the Rangers spent the most money in the 2021-22 offseason.

Bringing in deGrom with the biggest deal of the 2022-23 offseason thus far continues the spending. The contract does not include any deferred money and gives deGrom a full no-trade clause, sources said. Between that and the lack of a state tax in Texas, competing teams would have needed to exceed the $40 million-a-year threshold and stretch the offer's length to have competed with the Rangers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Re: MLB 22-23 Offseason

Post by Octavious »

I think Texas has lost their minds on these big contracts. They aren't NY and LA.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We're the 5th largest media market in the country. Behind Yankees/Mets, Dodgers/Angels, Cubs/White Sox, and Phillies.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Verlander to the Mets.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trea Turner to the Phillies.

The NL East is going to be beastly again.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Advantage Phillies on the deals made today. I actually don't know what the heck the Mets are doing. They have a ton of holes and Verlander is crazy expensive for a 40 year old dude. They need like 3 more starters... Most of a bullpen.... At least 1 outfielder... That deal is something you do when you just need one more piece. I mean I'll take this over the Wilpons, but the dude is going to blow all his money, wonder why he isn't winning and take his ball and go home. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well the Red Sox signed Chris Martin (no, not that guy, but the relief pitcher). And some other bargain bin reliever with good peripheral numbers. And there's an outside chance that they'll resign one of their core positional players who is super popular with their fan base.

So like....that's exciting. :(
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Phillies are running away with the best signings. So depressing.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:55 pm Phillies are running away with the best signings. So depressing.
At least your owner seems willing to spend money.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nobody seems to want it this year. While aside from Verlander.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:50 pm Trea Turner to the Phillies.

The NL East is going to be beastly again.
With the exception of the Nationals, unfortunately :grund:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Aaron Judge staying in The Bronx. 9 years, $360M.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I really didn't think he was going to stay. I thought for sure he would ride off into the sunset in SF. He certainly would have delt with a ton less crap there. I'm really curious how the Mets are going to fill their 900 holes with the good talent flying off the board. (I never thought they would even try for Judge, but man that would have been epic.)

naednek

Post by naednek »

well I was hoping for a I told you so to El Guapo :D but apparently not being close to home and playing for his childhood team wasn't enough :( Giants made the same offer and he also turned down 400 million from the padres.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

naednek wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:18 pm well I was hoping for a I told you so to El Guapo :D but apparently not being close to home and playing for his childhood team wasn't enough :( Giants made the same offer and he also turned down 400 million from the padres.
ugh Judge leaving the Yankees was going to be my consolation when the Red Sox let Bogaerts leave, alienate and/or trade Devers, and try to make it up with a collection of players picked up at Dollar General.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, maybe Judge will tear his Achilles in week 1 or something.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Willson Contreras signs with the Cardinals (5 yrs, $87M). That's gonna sting for a while.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Good signing by the Cards. There aren't many good catchers out there. Braves still have TD I think..

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You may want to be sitting down for this one:

Los Angeles Angels agreed to terms with RHP Carlos Estevez on a two-year contract.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:46 pm You may want to be sitting down for this one:

Los Angeles Angels agreed to terms with RHP Carlos Estevez on a two-year contract.
They signed Ricky 'Wild Thing' Vaughn? The Indians, er Guardians must be crushed.

Enlarge Image
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, finally happened. Bogaerts to the Padres on for $280MM over 11 years.

I will say, that unlike with the Betts deal, it's at least defensible for the Red Sox. 11 years is a long time for a 30 year old player, Bogaerts's power numbers dropped off steeply last year. But in some ways what's galling is that at the end of the season the team was talking about how it was supposedly a big priority to bring him back, they'd do everything they could, etc., but then but all reports made essentially no effort to re-sign him.

Also saw that Red Sox theme day ticket packs when on sale. Definitely will need to go for "crying pauper" and "insulting fan intelligence" nights.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Red Sox did sign Masataka Yoshida, who apparently is one of the best Japan league players. I never know how to assess which Japan league players will do well here, but at least he's talented.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:24 am The Red Sox did sign Masataka Yoshida, who apparently is one of the best Japan league players. I never know how to assess which Japan league players will do well here, but at least he's talented.
I think Yoshida looks like a .290/15/70 high OBP type OF. Upside is .305/28/100 with a .400+ OBP. Maybe a good leadoff or #2 bat. He doesn't steal a lot though.

He's known as a power hitter in Japan but don't see him being a premier power hitter in the MLB. I could he very wrong though. Didn't think Ohtani would have as much pop as he's had either.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You would have to say the Padres are rather loaded when Tatis gets back.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:24 am The Red Sox did sign Masataka Yoshida, who apparently is one of the best Japan league players. I never know how to assess which Japan league players will do well here, but at least he's talented.
It's wild that the Red Sox offered Yoshida, an unproven quantity in MLB, more money than they offered Xander last spring.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:57 am
It's wild that the Red Sox offered Yoshida, an unproven quantity in MLB, more money than they offered Xander last spring.
Weren't they around $160M for 6 years? That's more than Yoshida by any metric.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:36 am
The offer last spring was $90M for 4 years. Which, in real dollar terms, is a greater AAV since Yoshida's contract is 5 years, but the real money payout for Yoshida is $105M with the posting fee. It's still bizarre.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:47 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:36 am
The offer last spring was $90M for 4 years. Which, in real dollar terms, is a greater AAV since Yoshida's contract is 5 years, but the real money payout for Yoshida is $105M with the posting fee. It's still bizarre.
Sorry, glossed over the "last spring" part. Sure, but that was an age ago in baseball economics (though you'd hope the Red Sox could predict the post-season market better). They offered a lot more now, but it wasn't enough.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sure, but he must have made some mistakes along the way.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Maybe he has a secret partner named Bialystock. They plan to close on opening day and head off to Rio with all the money. :lol:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hrothgar wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:24 am Maybe he has a secret partner named Bialystock. They plan to close on opening day and head off to Rio with all the money. :lol:
I've read speculation that Henry wants to keep costs down with the goal of selling the team. Who knows if it's true.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Okay we need a salary cap like now now. As a Mets fan. Yay! As a competitive sports fan ugh. This has totally gotten out of hand. I think the Mets payroll is like 400 million now?

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:34 am Okay we need a salary cap like now now. As a Mets fan. Yay! As a competitive sports fan ugh. This has totally gotten out of hand. I think the Mets payroll is like 400 million now?
The end is in sight. Only 13 more years until Bonilla is off the Mets' payroll.

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

:D Cohen could just pay it off, but I think he finds it amusing. I also find in amusing that the Wilpons were so dumb that they thought they would make more money investing with Madoff which is why they did that. It never occurred to them that the returns they were getting didn't make sense. :lol: So glad they are gone.

They were getting 12-15 percent a year in return. Seems legit.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:34 am Okay we need a salary cap like now now. As a Mets fan. Yay! As a competitive sports fan ugh. This has totally gotten out of hand. I think the Mets payroll is like 400 million now?
I'd prefer a salary floor. At least for the Red Sox.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:17 am :D Cohen could just pay it off, but I think he finds it amusing. I also find in amusing that the Wilpons were so dumb that they thought they would make more money investing with Madoff which is why they did that. It never occurred to them that the returns they were getting didn't make sense. :lol: So glad they are gone.

They were getting 12-15 percent a year in return. Seems legit.
I think Bonilla would have to agree to a payout as well. He finds is just as amusing, I'm sure. And getting $1M+ every July has to be a nice little pick-me-up.

The Wilpons were clowns.

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:16 pm
I'd prefer a salary floor. At least for the Red Sox.
I think a floor is more important too. If you get taxes from the higher payroll teams and don't spend it then it should go poof. Right now they just field AAAA teams and collect money. It's ridiculous.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Relegation!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I would love that! The minor leagues have cooler teams anyway.