[HBO Max] Avenue 5 Appreciation Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

[HBO Max] Avenue 5 Appreciation Thread

Post by hepcat »

Every so often I'll start a thread on a show I really, really love. The last one was, I believe, Raised by Wolves...

....and it was cancelled within a few months of that.

But damn it, I'm going to try again. And this time, I hope I don't cause the demise of something I truly enjoy.

Avenue 5 comes from the mind of Armando Iannucci. The man responsible for Veep (something I fully intend to watch now that I've seen Avenue 5) and the insanely funny Death of Stalin, which I have watched three times now (I keep forcing friends to watch it).
Spoiler:
Avenue 5 is set on a luxury space cruise ship on its maiden voyage. The whole thing has been bankrolled by an Elon Musk like Herman Judd played by Josh Gad (I know he's polarizing to many, but give him a chance here....his brand of manic comedy works great for the role), accompanied by his sidekick Iris (in a tour de force performance by Suzy Nakamura that has rapidly made her one of my favorite comic actors). The "captain" of the ship is Ryan Clark (the ever great Hugh Laurie returning to his roots in comedy). I use quotes around captain for reasons you'll discover as you watch the show.

Rounding out the cast is Zach Woods as the head of the marketing/PR section for the ship; and Lenora Crichlow as Billie, the chief engineer.

There's a bunch of others who make up the rest of the crew and passengers, but there are too many to go into in one post. Needless to say, they're all pretty damn funny.

It's two seasons in at this point, with the finale for season 2 airing last night. While season 1 is funny enough, season 2 is where the cast really starts firing on all cylinders and the insanity of the story takes off.

It's ludicrous at times, often improbable, and over the top on quite a few occasions. But there are never long stretches where I'm not laughing.
Spoiler:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Re: [HBO Max] Avenue 5 Appreciation Thread

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:40 pm It's ludicrous at times, often improbable, and over the top on quite a few occasions. But there are never long stretches where I'm not laughing.
At times? :lol:

I've just started S2 and have been enjoying it immensely. You've turned out to be a good TV sherpa, guiding me into excellent TV. Raised By Wolves, Toast of London, How to Build a Sex Room, etc... -- all genuinely appreciated.

Regardless, I wouldn't have expected the show's premise to work after 10+ episodes, but I'm really liking where it's all going - with random new developments and strange events. And yes, already I can tell from the first few episodes of S2 that it's even funnier, somehow.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:44 pm How to Build a Sex Room
I hope the hand drawn illustrations I PM'd you weren't too off putting.

Side note: if you haven't seen Death of Stalin, seek it out. Immediately.
Covfefe!
naednek

Post by naednek »

I watched part of the 1st episode of season 1 last night. I'm trying to like it... The type of comedy isn't typically my cup of tea.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It gets much better as it gets along and finds its place, which is about midway through the first season, I think.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, the episodes are all like ~28 minutes so trying to get a feel for the series in ~14 is tough. There are...many things that change after the first episode. Definitely need 3+ to get a feel for where it's all going and to start to appreciate the characters.
telcta

Post by telcta »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:40 pm
Avenue 5 comes from the mind of Armando Iannucci. The man responsible for Veep (something I fully intend to watch now that I've seen Avenue 5)
I had said to my wife that the quick-fire dialogue reminded me of Veep. I think you’re really going to like Veep… and you have 7 seasons to binge. It’s one of the few shows I laugh out loud when I’m watching alone.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:58 pm Yeah, the episodes are all like ~28 minutes so trying to get a feel for the series in ~14 is tough. There are...many things that change after the first episode. Definitely need 3+ to get a feel for where it's all going and to start to appreciate the characters.
Yeah, I was unsure of it after the first episode too, and I was glad I stuck with it, because there is payoff in everything happens.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

telcta wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:00 pm I had said to my wife that the quick-fire dialogue reminded me of Veep. I think you’re really going to like Veep… and you have 7 seasons to binge. It’s one of the few shows I laugh out loud when I’m watching alone.
Thanks, I look forward to it now!

The dialogue in Avenue 5 hits you with joke after joke in a relentless onslaught. I had toyed with the idea of just posting my favorite quotes from the show...but then realized I could easily fill up an entire page with them. There are at least a dozen great lines in each episode...and usually many more.

I think so far my favorite episode is either season 2 episode 3, or season 2 episode 7. They both are just so damn stuffed with great comedy. :wub:
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I have this on my list for 'while subbed to HBO Max for GoT' once I finish GoT this week.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I started this last week, and I'm five or six episodes in right now. I'm... liking it, but see the potential for that to become 'loving', and I have heard from several places (including right up there :text-yeahthat: )that it really picks up partway in.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks for the tip. I've been pining for a good half-hour comedy.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We've watched season 1, it's been a while to the point where I forgot a lot of it...will have to check out season 2, I didn't think they were going to renew this show as it seemed too quirky even for HBO.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Meant to come back here when I finished S2 last week. I actually think S2 was better than the first, which is pretty unusual. I don't know if my opinion is common, but I really think they hit their pace and really enjoyed all the various story arcs and characters. I do hope the show continues; not really sure what to expect with that and the HBO situation anymore.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Absolutely agree season 2 was funnier. The highlights for me were:
Spoiler:
Pedophile in a hamster ball.

The cannibal almost becoming their leader because he’s so nice.

An accidental dictatorship….and Ryan’s continuing bemusement whenever he realizes he’s unintentionally given yet another order that only a dictator would issue.

Iris trying to game the algorithm.

Karen listening to a recording of Ryan talking about her…and it just keeps getting more and more insulting.

Judd upset that he’s the “i agree guy” on the show that was supposed to be about him.

Matt becoming a resistance leader…then a Christ figure.

Anytime Rav is allowed to interact with other humans.
And I could go on…

I really, really hope there’s a season 3.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I watched the first episode of season one and it didn't connect with me at all. But I might try giving it some time. I had a similar reaction to Arrested Development, Archer, and Veep when I started them. They're just about such horrible people.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We're near the end of S1 and enjoying it well enough. It's not in the same league as Veep but I chortle a few times in each episode.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 2 is where it all comes together. I liked season 1...but I loved season 2. However, it's even more absurd than season 1. If absurdity bugs you, avoid it.
Sudy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:28 pm They're just about such horrible people.
Some of my favorite shows are in this category. P.S. Avoid Rick and Morty like the plague if you don't like shows with a lot of horrible people. :wink:
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Oh, I love Rick and Morty. I don't hate shows about bad people, but I find comedies about horrible people harder to get into. Less so with dramas.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m the same way with shows featuring people named “Ed”.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm to ep four of the first season and it's getting pretty funny.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The octopus. 8 arms and no hands. Eff you, God.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

His one-off thoughts are fantastic. I can't stop thinking about this one.
Spoiler:
“Every year, we pass the pre-anniversary of our death, but we don’t even know it, so we don’t get presents.”
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The score (at least the first season's) is fantastic. It's like Phillip Glass mixed with glitch.

As he did in Silicon Valley, Zachary Woods steals the show. I'm even coming around on Josh Gad.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Going forward, I shall find an opportunity at least once a day to shout, "Inflate the deviant!"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

Truly one of my favorite scenes.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Right now I'm stuck on:
Oh, you like me better like this, huh?! You want me to be Papa Loco?!
This character actually reminds me a lot of myself.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Finished Season 1. Seriously crazy show.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 2 is even more absurd and fun. :wub:

One of the standouts of season 2 is Rav. I never really noticed her all that much in season 1, then in season 2 they play up the concept that she's just really, really awful with other humans...to a hilarious degree.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Finished season 2. Ethan Phillips really redeems himself after Neelix.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My only complaint about season 2...
Spoiler:
The title ("That's Why They Call it a Missile!") gave away the resolution.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I didn't pick up on that, but I did see the ending coming a mile away. Too bad they didn't do something subversive.
Spoiler:
Also, I don't understand why they couldn't move everyone to one side of the ship? I mean, they didn't seem to think they wouldn't still be able to get home without engines. Also, the whole slingshot thing seems inconsistent. Like they could stop to dock with the prison ship? Or did they just happen to be on the same course? Never mind the handwaving of being able to feed people indefinitely (somewhat... I mean it is addressed, but my brain isn't satisfied). But the show's so funny it doesn't really bother me.
Last edited by Sudy on Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't overthink it. It handles that sort of logic the way Rick & Morty does.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There are so many things scientifically wrong in this show, I’m honestly surprised folks haven’t mentioned more. My favorite is that getting back and forth between the ship and earth via shuttles is apparently quick and easy.

But the show is an absurd comedy, not a NASA documentary.

I still love the entire back half of season 2 and
Spoiler:
Ryan’s unintentional dictatorship that keeps getting spurred on by Iris.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:04 pm There are so many things scientifically wrong in this show, I’m honestly surprised folks haven’t mentioned more. My favorite is that getting back and forth between the ship and earth via shuttles is apparently quick and easy.

Spoiler:
Not to mention how the turd shield, corpses, etc orbit the ship.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:48 pm
hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:04 pm There are so many things scientifically wrong in this show, I’m honestly surprised folks haven’t mentioned more. My favorite is that getting back and forth between the ship and earth via shuttles is apparently quick and easy.

Spoiler:
Not to mention how the turd shield, corpses, etc orbit the ship.
I liked how they initially had a communication delay. Even though it was only 35 seconds when it would really be >45 minutes each way, at least they were trying. Heh, that didn't last long. The shuttle trips are just the most egregious of their many scientific lapses, but that's fine; it's unapologetically absurd on every level.

I'm stalled halfway thru S2 because Wife isn't into it. She likes Hugh Laurie, and that's about all.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or the simple fact that they have enough fuel and maneuverability to dock with various things, but not enough to adjust their course by a fraction of a degree.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:42 pm
I liked how they initially had a communication delay. Even though it was only 35 seconds when it would really be >45 minutes each way, at least they were trying. Heh, that didn't last long.
They actually do use that for comedic effect in the second season with an equally absurd solution that sees AI predicting what the other side will say, and then using a hologram to project that.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ugh:
HBO announced today that it was canceling Avenue 5, its space-based comedy series starring Hugh Laurie and Josh Gad, after two seasons on the air.

And we know what you’re thinking: Surely, HBO had already canceled Avenue 5, right? But no: You’re probably thinking of Showtime’s Moonbase 8, or Netflix’s Space Force, because Jesus Christ, were people anxious for some space-adjacent comedy shows back in 2020, we guess. (It may have been a reflection of our general desire to get off the planet from 2016 to 2019, honestly.)

Avenue 5 aired its second season in October and November of 2022, continuing its general assault on the failings of the rich, vain, and nigh-lethally blinkered. (One major development in the second season: The production and broadcast of a TV show based on the disaster befalling the real Avenue 5, which the people trapped aboard the ship watch obsessively and allow to influence their actions. Fun!) News that the show was ending comes after the news that god knows how many other HBO shows have ended recently; at the very least, this appears to be a nice, normal cancellation: No weird tax shenanigans, no “sorry, we renewed you and now you’re un-renewed” idiocy: Just a straightforward “No more, thanks.”