Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire [Figstarter]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire [Figstarter]

Post by Jaymann »

No big deal. I hate shopping around and I know if I get a game from GOG it will run on Windows XX. Plus sometimes mods and cheats don't work on Steam, so screw them.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

y'know, I may give this another go.

I've gotten 5-6 hours into it twice before wandering off...maybe it'll stick this time.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I just replayed it, and really enjoyed it. I ended up maxing the levels out a bit before the ending, so that kind of stunk a little, but I did enjoy the game in turn based mode.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have this and need to play it. But I was holding off until I got the desire to finish the first one. But honestly, the combat in the first one holds no interest for me. So I think I’ll just jump right into the sequel.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

One thing I don't like is you cannot pull one or a few enemies. If you aggro even one you get the full Monty, even from other rooms.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My biggest issue (with most of the newer CRPGs, not just PoE2) is the complete lack of quest direction. Always felt like I was just randomly stumbling into things then having to piece together WTF to do with it based on very vague descriptions, rather than following well-defined and interesting quest chains. That really bugged me, especially when you get into the larger towns. I never knew if I was missing something vitally important just because I didn’t happen to click on a specific NPC. Simple quest markers would solve 90% of the issues imo, but I know people are against that for reasons.

I would love toggle-able quest markers that those who wanted a little more direction could use and those who didn’t could turn off.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:26 pm I have this and need to play it. But I was holding off until I got the desire to finish the first one. But honestly, the combat in the first one holds no interest for me. So I think I’ll just jump right into the sequel.
This was me. I'm about 5 hours in and there are obviously tons of references to the first one but there seems to be just enough explaining, combined with the time I spent on the first one, that I don't feel lost.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Now I’m remembering why I didn’t get very far last time. I had blocked out the stupid pirate ship stuff…all of which I absolutely cannot stand.

The next game with interesting sailing, naval combat, or ship/crew management I actually enjoy will be the first.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you enjoy that portion of Assassin's Creed Black Flag? For me, that was the highlight of the game.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:41 am Now I’m remembering why I didn’t get very far last time. I had blocked out the stupid pirate ship stuff…all of which I absolutely cannot stand.

The next game with interesting sailing, naval combat, or ship/crew management I actually enjoy will be the first.
I thought that it was limited, but I did like getting the upgrades, and I didn't do the stories for the ship combat, I just boarded every ship, and did turn based combat. I did enjoy the exploration with the ship, I thought that was fun.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:47 am Did you enjoy that portion of Assassin's Creed Black Flag? For me, that was the highlight of the game.
Hated it.

Pirates are just not my thing, apparently.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've tried the first one two or three times, but I never could get it to click. The gameplay was fine, and the story was fine, but I just couldn't get into the setting. It was a little too... out there. I had the same problem with Planescape (both tabletop and Torment) and Numenera. I just don't enjoy settings that feel like a goth kid's peyote visions.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:29 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:47 am Did you enjoy that portion of Assassin's Creed Black Flag? For me, that was the highlight of the game.
Hated it.

May all your college football stars be drafted by Tampa Bay.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:22 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:29 pm
Hated it.

May all your college football stars be drafted by Tampa Bay.
And to think we were bemoaning the lack of quality trash talk in the NCAA thread…
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:00 pm I've tried the first one two or three times, but I never could get it to click. The gameplay was fine, and the story was fine, but I just couldn't get into the setting. It was a little too... out there. I had the same problem with Planescape (both tabletop and Torment) and Numenera. I just don't enjoy settings that feel like a goth kid's peyote visions.
This was me. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, and was a bit confused when the equivalent of a bard was labeled as one of the best tanks in the game. I'm not saying it was a bad game at all, it's just the classes were...odd? I don't know. I *loved* the Baldur's Gate games so I figured this would be more of the same, but it was just too different for me.

One day I'll give it another shot, I'm sure.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:00 pm I've tried the first one two or three times, but I never could get it to click. The gameplay was fine, and the story was fine, but I just couldn't get into the setting. It was a little too... out there. I had the same problem with Planescape (both tabletop and Torment) and Numenera. I just don't enjoy settings that feel like a goth kid's peyote visions.
I get it, you prefer settings that are more junior high school nerd vision. :P
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:45 pm
I get it, you prefer settings that are more junior high school nerd vision. :P
You betcha! Although not entirely. 'Standard' Tolkien fantasy settings do get dull, even for me. I like there to be an element or two to change up the world a bit, make it feel different and fresh.

Shannara was post-apocalyptic Tolkien. One Savage Worlds was famous for this. One setting was a Tolkien-esque world in the midst of an alien invasion. Another was a standard fantasy world where everyone woke up to find the sun (and the god of fire) had vanished. Another was typical pirate fantasy - except that the world had broken apart, and instead of seas, the ships traveled in the air between floating islands. Wheel of Time had a pretty typical fantasy world, but it was set in a much later period (it was based on the 17th century), and half of all magic was corrupted. /edit - Yeah, this is how The Wheel of Time looked in Robert Jordan's mind.

They all had the standard elements and tropes, but had an exotic element that made it different. What I didn't like about the video game settings I mentioned (Planescape, Numenera, and PoE) was that every element was exotic and strange. It made it hard to get my footing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I tried POE1 a few times. Got way far into it with effort. But as others said it never clicked with me. I loved the BG games and IWD ones. But I never finished POE. I tried and tried.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"