Religion Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: Religion Randomness

Post by Jaymann »

That does not sound like the current SCOTUS.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

SCOTUSBlog
Five days after Justice Sonia Sotomayor temporarily put on hold a New York state court ruling that directed Yeshiva University to approve an official “Pride Alliance” student club, the full Supreme Court reinstated the state-court ruling for now and directed the university to go back to the state courts to try to obtain relief.

But a dissent by four of the court’s conservative justices indicated that the student club’s victory could ultimately be short-lived. Justice Samuel Alito wrote that, if the Supreme Court were to take up the case on the merits, the university would likely prevail on its claim that recognizing the LGBTQ group would violate its religious beliefs. He was joined by Justices Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch, and Amy Coney Barrett.

The five-justice majority acknowledged that the case could end up back before the justices after the university jumps through procedural hoops. The majority’s brief order went out of its way to note that the university may return to the Supreme Court if it does not obtain a quick ruling in its favor from New York’s appellate courts.
Alito, joined by Thomas, Gorsuch, and Barrett, argued that the court should have intervened immediately. “It is our duty to stand up for the Constitution even when doing so is controversial,” Alito wrote. Leaving the trial court’s ruling in place, he wrote, will require Yeshiva to “make a ‘statement’ in support of an interpretation” of Jewish law “with which the University disagrees.” That “loss of First Amendment rights for even a short period,” Alito continued, will permanently injure the university.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I keep seeing these ‘Guides to Make this Work Next Time’ included in any number of these rulings.

Fuck them
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alito, joined by Thomas, Gorsuch, and Barrett, argued that the court should have intervened immediately. “It is our duty to stand up for the Constitution even when doing so is controversial,” Alito wrote. Leaving the trial court’s ruling in place, he wrote, will require Yeshiva to “make a ‘statement’ in support of an interpretation” of Jewish law “with which the University disagrees.” That “loss of First Amendment rights for even a short period,” Alito continued, will permanently injure the university.
Thank goodness they had that same sense of urgency and willingness to be controversial to protect the First Amendment from Ken Paxton.
Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:54 pm Fuck them
We're achieving that level of cabin pressure, aren't we?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If natural disaster is God's punishment for x. Is that why so many zealots move to hurricane pathing or are the hurricanes attracted to them?
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:32 am If natural disaster is God's punishment for x. Is that why so many zealots move to hurricane pathing or are the hurricanes attracted to them?
A hurricane hitting blue New Orleans is punishment from God. A hurricane hitting the red Florida coast is an attack by Satan.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Are you paraphrasing Mel Brooks?
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:38 pm Are you paraphrasing Mel Brooks?
"Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall in a manhole and die."
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

News flash! Nonreligious voters overwhelmingly favor Democrats! And our numbers are growing.
Voters with no religious affiliation supported Democratic candidates and abortion rights by staggering percentages in the 2022 midterm elections.

And they're voting in large numbers. In 2022, some 22% of voters claimed no religious affiliation, according to AP VoteCast, an expansive survey of more than 94,000 voters nationwide. They contributed to voting coalitions that gave Democrats victories in battleground states such as Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Arizona.

The unaffiliated — often nicknamed the “nones” — voted for Democratic House candidates nationwide over Republicans by more than a 2-1 margin (65% to 31%), according to VoteCast. That echoes the 2020 president election, when Democrat Joe Biden took 72% of voters with no religious affiliation, while Republican Donald Trump took 25%, according to VoteCast.

For all the talk of the overwhelmingly Republican voting by white evangelical Christians in recent elections, the unaffiliated are making their presence felt.

Among all U.S. adults, 29% are nones — those who identify as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” — according a 2021 report by the Pew Research Center. That’s up 10 percentage points from a decade earlier, according to Pew. And the younger the adults, the more likely they are to be unaffiliated, according to a 2019 Pew analysis, further signaling the growing clout of the nones.
Atheists and agnostics form only a subset of nones and are less numerous than evangelicals. But they are more likely than evangelicals to make a campaign donation, attend a political meeting or join a protest, Burge said, citing the Harvard-affiliated Cooperative Election Study.

“When you consider how involved they are in political activity, you realize how important they are at the ballot box,” he said.

The nones equaled Catholics at 22% of the electorate, though they were barely half the figure for Protestants and other Christians (43%), according to VoteCast. Other religious groups totaled 13%, including 3% Jewish and 1% Muslim.
There's quite a bit more in the linked story.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:32 am If natural disaster is God's punishment for x. Is that why so many zealots move to hurricane pathing or are the hurricanes attracted to them?
“If” is carrying a lot of weight in there:

“Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”

Jesus in Luke 13:2-5

“He makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust”

Jesus in Matthew 5:45
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton

Post by Default »

And, in a desert culture, the rain is a blessing, not a curse.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Sure, although it would be awfully hard to argue that God favors the just and punishes the unjust in this world. There are far too many counter examples to take that seriously.
Holman

Post by Holman »

gbasden wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:50 am Sure, although it would be awfully hard to argue that God favors the just and punishes the unjust in this world. There are far too many counter examples to take that seriously.
"God will physically punish sinners and reward the virtuous in this world" has always been much more folklore than serious theology. (This explains both the appeal and the baselessness of the "Prosperity Gospel" grift.)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

gbasden wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:50 am Sure, although it would be awfully hard to argue that God favors the just and punishes the unjust in this world. There are far too many counter examples to take that seriously.
Uh, this is exactly what Jesus is saying, so I’m not sure what/who you are responding to?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is nuts:

Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:32 pm This is nuts:

I'd first ask for better sourcing.

The tweet is from someone who appears to be a full-on eugenicist, and the tweet he's quoting comes from someone who looks a lot like a white supremacist.

The sourced snippet is from The Daily Mail, which is, you know, The Daily Mail. And the article there actually defines "cousin marriage" as involving 1st or 2nd cousins (not just 1st cousins, as the tweeter says). The Daily Mail columnist Sue Reid appears to have made a career of panicking about immigrants.

The shocking "75% of Pakistanis marry their first cousins" bit is not from her article and is not sourced.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It is a known issue in Pakistan, which is what happens when. gods' laws are enshrined in fundamentalist secular law.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

I don't doubt that it's a cultural pattern and a problem.

FWIW, is it "God's law" or "keeping the money in the family"? Europeans did the same thing for a few centuries there.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Grifman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:31 pm
Uh, this is exactly what Jesus is saying, so I’m not sure what/who you are responding to?
I was just having a bad day with the rampant injustices of the world and the meek getting abused by the mighty and had just seen a facebook post about God being just and fair. Sorry for posting my frustrations here instead of on a relative I should have muted a long time ago.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:33 pm It is a known issue in Pakistan, which is what happens when. gods' laws are enshrined in fundamentalist secular law.
Also when you have small, static communities with minimal intermixing...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

gbasden wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:38 pm
Grifman wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:31 pm
I was just having a bad day with the rampant injustices of the world and the meek getting abused by the mighty and had just seen a facebook post about God being just and fair. Sorry for posting my frustrations here instead of on a relative I should have muted a long time ago.
No problem, I understand, just was confused for a moment.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is what insane:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hope that professor sues the school for a mint. I kind of wish he could sue the student that got him fired as well.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:44 am I hope that professor sues the school for a mint. I kind of wish he could sue the student that got him fired as well.
It's a private college so it will depend on what his contact says
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The thing is, if it were a fundamentalist Christian that was offended by something done or said by a professor, nothing would have come of it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:03 pm The thing is, if it were a fundamentalist Christian that was offended by something done or said by a professor, nothing would have come of it.
Yeah, that never happens. :coffee:

Oklahoma Christian University’s Firing of Longtime Professor Sparks Controversy
On March 7, Oklahoma Christian University fired Michael O’Keefe, a tenured graphic design professor who taught at the university for 41 years.

O’Keefe and his attorney, Kevin Jacobs, a former Oklahoma Christian president, claim the firing was the result of the longtime professor including an openly gay guest speaker in his senior-level “Business of Branding” course.

“I thought it went well,” O’Keefe told The Christian Chronicle. “The next thing I knew, six days later, I was pulled into the office of chief academic officer and legal counsel. I was told I was fired, and my jaw hit the floor.”

The university, which is associated with Churches of Christ, asserts that O’Keefe’s termination stemmed from the content of the speaker’s presentation—and the professor’s alleged subsequent effort to squelch student complaints.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I’m not buying into the whole “Christians are persecuted in America” thing. It’s become a tag line for too many right wingers hoping to force bigoted and/or misogynistic laws on everyone else under the banner of religious freedom.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:51 pm Yeah, I’m not buying into the whole “Christians are persecuted in America” thing. It’s become a tag line for too many right wingers hoping to force bigoted and/or misogynistic laws on everyone else under the banner of religious freedom.
When you dig into almost any "Christians are persecuted in America" story, it come down to (1) Christians are not allowed to proselytize in other people's privately owned spaces, (2) public laws do not derive strictly from Christian premises, or (3) non-Christian perspectives exist.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Religiously, Congress doesn't reflect America

Congress doesn't reflect America demographically (disproportionately white and male), economically (half of them are millionaires), professionally (lots of lawyers), or ethically (white collar vs. street criminals), so this should come as no surprise. But there it is:
Even though nearly three in 10 Americans claim no religious affiliation — a rate that has steadily risen in recent years — only two of the 534 incoming members of Congress publicly identify as such.

The Congress “remains largely untouched by two trends that have long marked religious life in the United States: a decades-long decline in the share of Americans who identify as Christian, and a corresponding increase in the percentage who say they have no religious affiliation,” said the Pew report, released Tuesday. It was based on a CQ Roll Call survey of members of Congress.

Nearly 88 percent of members of Congress identify as Christian, compared with only 63 percent of US adults overall. That includes 57 percent of congresspersons who identify as Protestant and 28 percent as Catholic, both higher than national rates. Also, 6 percent of members of Congress identify as Jewish, compared with 2 percent of the overall population.

While 29 percent of Americans claim no religious affiliation, they’d have to squint to see themselves reflected in Congress. The only overtly nonreligious members are Representative Jared Huffman, Democrat of California, who identifies as humanist, and Senator Kyrsten Sinema, independent of Arizona, who says she’s religiously unaffiliated.

Pew listed 20 other members of Congress as having unknown religious affiliations, either because they declined to answer CQ Roll Call’s query or because the answers are otherwise muddled (such as in the case of New York Republican George Santos, along with much else in his background).
The Republican congressional delegation is a staggering 99 percent Christian, with the rest Jewish or unknown. Republicans — who have long embraced Christian expressions in their political functions and where an aggressive form of Christian nationalism has become more mainstream — include 69 percent Protestants, 25 percent Catholics, and 5 percent other Christians (such as Mormon and Orthodox).

Democrats have more religious diversity, at about 76 percent Christian (including 44 percent Protestant, 31 percent Catholic, and 1.5 percent Orthodox) and 12 percent Jewish. They have about 1 percent each of Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, and Unitarian Universalist representation.

But Democrats’ paucity of openly non-affiliated members contrasts starkly with a constituency to which it owes much.

Religiously unaffiliated voters opted overwhelmingly for Democrats candidates in the 2022 midterms. They voted for Democrats over Republicans by more than a 2 to 1 margin in House races, according to AP VoteCast, an expansive survey of more than 94,000 voters nationwide. And in some bellwether races, the unaffiliated went as high as 4 to 1 for Democrats.
Maybe we "Nones" need to regard overt religiosity as a bigger detriment than we do now. Or at least than *I* do. I generally see most candidates' stated religiosity as performance-only, and dismiss it as unimportant unless they're full Gilead types.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a feeling that a lot more are unaffiliated than claim it. For many, religious claims are an election tactic, not a belief.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LA Times
Authorities have arrested the husband of a woman who worked as a housekeeper for Auxiliary Bishop David G. O’Connell in connection with the slaying of the beloved Los Angeles cleric, officials said Monday.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna identified Carlos Medina as the suspect in the slaying. He did not cite a motive but said a tipster had told authorities Medina was acting strangely after the killing and claimed that the bishop owed him money. Luna said Medina is 65; however, jail records show the suspect as 61. He is being held in lieu of $2-million bail.
O’Connell, 69, was killed Saturday afternoon in the Catholic archdiocese-owned home in Hacienda Heights where he lived alone. Luna said the bishop was found in his bedroom with “at least one gunshot wound to the upper body.” He said no firearms were recovered at the scene, and there was no sign of forced entry.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Tax Cheats?
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and a nonprofit entity that it controlled have been fined $5 million by the Securities and Exchange Commission over accusations that the religious institution failed to properly disclose its investment holdings.

In an order released Tuesday, the SEC alleged that the church illicitly hid its investments and their management behind multiple shell companies from 1997 to 2019. In doing so, it failed to disclose the size of the church’s equity portfolio to the SEC and the public.

The church was concerned that disclosure of the assets in the name of the nonprofit entity, called Ensign Peak Advisors, which manages the church's investments, would lead to negative consequences in light of the size of the church’s portfolio, the SEC said.

The allegations of the illicit shell company structure first emerged in 2018, when a group formerly called MormonLeaks – now known as the Truth and Transparency Foundation – claimed that year the extent of the church's investments had reached $32 billion.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That will show them. :roll:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Eric Adams continues to find new ways to impress. /s
The New York Times wrote:The mayor’s closest aide, Ingrid Lewis-Martin, took the stage to declare that the Adams administration “doesn’t believe” in the separation of church and state, characterizing the mayor of New York City as “definitely one of the chosen” as she introduced him.

Mr. Adams clearly had no issue with how Ms. Lewis-Martin, a chaplain, described his views.

“Ingrid was so right,” Mr. Adams said, to the astonishment of some of the religious leaders who filled the New York Public Library’s glass-domed reception hall on Fifth Avenue. “Don’t tell me about no separation of church and state. State is the body. Church is the heart. You take the heart out of the body, the body dies.”

“I can’t separate my belief because I’m an elected official,” he continued, over scattered applause.

He went on to suggest that his path to the mayoralty was divinely ordained, saying that when he implements policies, he does so in a “godlike approach.”
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
NPR's Leila Fadel talks to Rev. Linda Barnes Popham of Fern Creek Baptist near Louisville, Ky., about her church and four others being expelled by the Southern Baptist Convention over female pastors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What the hell Texas?

Two GOP bills to chip away at the separation of church & state and promote Christianity in public schools are getting a hearing in the Texas Senate this week.

One, SB 1515, would require schools to display the Ten Commandments (King James version) in EVERY classroom.

Every K-12 public classroom in the state of Texas would be required to display these words:

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant."

Yes, please explain that line to a 6-year-old.

The other bill, SB 763, would allow public schools to replace counselors with chaplains (Aka, pastors).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Crucified (literally) man protests high oil prices.
In a news conference shortly after his crucifixion, Enaje said he prayed for the eradication of the COVID-19 virus and the end of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, which has contributed to gas and food prices soaring worldwide.

“It’s just these two countries involved in that war, Russia and Ukraine, but all of us are being affected by the higher oil prices even if we’re not involved in that war,” said Enaje.
https://apnews.com/article/philippines- ... 7135c90f68
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Feels like a wee bit of dementia showing its face (loss of inhibitions).
Sims 3 and signature unclear.