[Squenix] The Avengers Project

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: [Squenix] The Avengers Project

Post by coopasonic »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_as_a_service

New characters and costumes released over time. GaaS basically tells you that it isn't a play it for 40 hours and be done kind of experience.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

They don't make the whole game free like Fortnite because there is a complete campaign here with full voice acting and scripting. That's what you pay up front for. Then it's games as a service because they are adding characters and more campaign each month or so which is paid for by the people buying cosmetics. I'm not sure why the uproar or how so many people aren't seeing how it's a hybrid and why it is still a full game as is. I'm having a blast when not hit by actual bugs and such but the underlying game as well as the future they have laid out seems quite good.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm about 10 hours in and I have no feelings of being pressured to do anything. I guess there are ways to pay money to buy different skins for the characters, but I haven't paid that any attention, nor will I. I'm just pushing through the campaign and enjoying it a lot.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Is it kinda like Hitman with the season format with episodes and limited time events?
Jag

Post by Jag »

New content and roadmap released yesterday. They already added Kate Bishop and her storyline. Hawkeye was added yesterday and War for Wakanda with Black Panther is coming later this year. All content is included. No expansion packs or heroes to buy. Just cosmetics. Game is probably worth it on sale just for single player. The combat feels good once your heroes start getting some decent skills. Before that they hit like wet noodles. If this were an open world game, it would have been incredible.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've never been more confused about whether or not I'd love this game than by the reviews/comments I'm seeing. I honestly can't tell if it's worth it. I get that it's not what people wanted when it was released and that it still might not be what people are looking for in March of 2021 after numerous patches and additions, but it's so difficult to separate the true hatred from what feels like it could be a fun SP experience for $30.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I don't get the hate either. It is a fun game with a good single player. The multiplayer may be horrid, but I wouldn't know as I never wanted it for multiplayer.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

gbasden wrote:I don't get the hate either. It is a fun game with a good single player. The multiplayer may be horrid, but I wouldn't know as I never wanted it for multiplayer.
I didn't like the demo. I didn't feel like a superhero playing the demo. I'll probably get it for the next Gen at some point. Maybe there will be a Spiderman bundle on the ps5 with mlies morales down the road when the Spiderman content is ready.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This was on steam for $20 so I picked it up jus tout of curiosity. I'm maybe 2 hours in and I like the story, but the gameplay is not very satisfying. When Hulk has to attack the most basic enemies multiple times, I don't know. Over and over again it is just a bunch of enemies that you wipe out in the same basic ways. The occasional Elite shows up to mix things up and I am still very early in the game (level 4) but I am pretty meh on it so far. I will keep playing because I need something to play, but, coming off finishing a second run through Nioh, the combat here is just unsatisfying. It's probably not fair to compare, but I want my melee combat to be more than spamming combos.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So 6 months later and a $20 price, I might finally jump in! I know you've all been waiting, but for $20 my expectations aren't going to be elevated so high as to be unreasonable.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Also Steam is screwing with me. I've gotten three trading cards... Black Widow, Black Widow and Black Widow.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Smoove_B wrote:So 6 months later and a $20 price, I might finally jump in! I know you've all been waiting, but for $20 my expectations aren't going to be elevated so high as to be unreasonable.
Yeah I bit on it last night. To be fair it's been on my "want to try" list for a long time, and the new Wakanda content and some good reviews on the single player pushed me over the edge.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Update - I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. The story is incredibly well done, as are the character animations. I swear you feel like Kamala Khan is a real person. Once you get your mind wrapped around the idea that the characters are not going to look like the movie versions, it's a blast.

While the single-player stuff is on rails, they take the opportunity to insert some incredibly satisfying and cinematic action sequences that keep compelling me to see what's around the next corner. And I'm enjoying the combat - I don't know if they've improved it since launch or I'm just easy to please, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Each hero has just enough slight difference to feel unique, while keeping them samey enough that you're not having to relearn the controls when you switch.

Really impressed so far. I'm kind of stunned, to be honest. I was going to be OK with spending $20 even if it was a mediocre-to-good campaign. I'm only about 20% into the first storyline and I already feel I got my money's worth.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

FYI this game hits Gamepass on Thursday. I'll try it out for sure, but I have a feeling I won't like it. Especially in light of me just finishing up Myles Morales on the PS5 (Damn that game was good).
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scraper wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:02 pm FYI this game hits Gamepass on Thursday. I'll try it out for sure, but I have a feeling I won't like it. Especially in light of me just finishing up Myles Morales on the PS5 (Damn that game was good).
Dammit, I just bought it last week!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You know...as YK pointed out, once you get over the characters not looking (or necessarily sounding) like their MCU counterparts...I'm having a hell of a good time in this game.

Granted I'm only a few hours into the first solo campaign, but if this is what the rest of the game is like, I feel like this is a worthwhile game for anyone that is a Marvel fan.
I swear you feel like Kamala Khan is a real person.
I am repeatedly amazed at how she looks and plays. I don't know if they modeled her on someone or the digital artists are just really good, but she absolutely feels like a real person, yes.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

From what I recall, the general take on the game was that the campaign is quite good and the end game is quite grindy. I bounced off it when it first came out, but I've been meaning to get back to it at some point.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

And so we come to the end game scenario.

Final Update on the Future of Marvel’s Avengers
To our amazing community,

After two-and-a-half years and introducing twelve of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, following Update 2.8 on March 31, 2023, we will no longer add new content or features to Marvel’s Avengers. All official support for the game will end on September 30, 2023.

Even after official support ceases on September 30, 2023, both single- and multi-player gameplay will continue to be available. See below for more information.

Update 2.7, which added the Winter Soldier Hero and Cloning Lab Omega-Level Threat, is the last new content to be added to the game. No new cosmetics are coming to the Marketplace, and all final balance updates will occur in Update 2.8 in March.

Along with the end of development, we’ll also be turning off the cosmetics Marketplace. When Update 2.8 launches on March 31, 2023, Credits will no longer be purchasable and all remaining Credit balances will be converted into in-game resources to aid ongoing adventures. Here is a table with the resources that will be granted based on existing Credit balances:

<Credits conversion table>

As a show of our appreciation for our community, starting March 31, 2023 we will make all the game’s Marketplace, Challenge Card, and Shipment cosmetic content available to all players for free. Every single Outfit, Takedown, Emote, and Nameplate from the Marketplace, Challenge Cards, and Shipments will be free for all players from this date onwards if you own a copy of the game.

Gifting the full library of Marketplace cosmetic content is a way to thank our community by letting everyone experience the breadth and depth of content in Marvel’s Avengers.

We know this is disappointing news as everyone in our community has such a connection to these characters and their stories. We’re so, so grateful that you came on this adventure with us. Your excitement for Marvel’s Avengers – from your epic Photo Mode shots, to your threads theorizing who our next Heroes would be, to your Twitch streams – has played a large part in bringing this game to life.

We hope you continue to play and enjoy Marvel’s Avengers. We can’t thank you enough for your support and for being part of our super team.

– Marvel’s Avengers Development Team

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I really enjoyed the story and the gameplay, but not enough to grind missions over and over again for better gear/stats.

I’ll probably go back and run through the story one more time once it’s all available, but this seemed like the only realistic outcome for the game.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

As long as the final update doesn't leave the game with any critical bugs, it's probably a better outcome than one might expect under the circumstances.

disarm

Post by disarm »

From my experience, the game was pretty well polished and played without any issues. The characters and storylines added over time were mostly quite good and I enjoyed what I played. That said, I didn't find it good enough to bother with grinding just to unlock stuff, so having everything available should be pretty cool. I'll definitely be loading it back up when everything goes free.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm an Avengers fan. I'm also a money fan. This is four bucks, and will disappear from existence in a couple of weeks.

Did it ever become good enough to justify getting?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yes.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You make a persuasive argument.

(For $4, it doesn't take much.)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:17 pmYes.
I concur.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:38 pm You make a persuasive argument.

(For $4, it doesn't take much.)
I gave you one character for every dollar you were putting on the line. :lol:

I thought the game was fine from the get-go, but I got distracted (as I am want to do) and never finished it. It's one of umpteen dozen games in my backlog that I like and intend to get back to Some Day™.

IIRC, it was generally well-received for it's campaign, but got dumped on for how they handled the SaaS aspects and the end-game grind. Since they patched out the SaaS stuff and unlocked all the rewards from it, it should be a steal at the price if you're at all into Marvel.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Forgot about this one. I fully intend to get back and finish this someday. I enjoyed the basic game, but it definitely wasn't a service game.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:50 pm I'm an Avengers fan. I'm also a money fan. This is four bucks, and will disappear from existence in a couple of weeks.

What does that mean, “disappear from existence”?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:17 am
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:50 pm I'm an Avengers fan. I'm also a money fan. This is four bucks, and will disappear from existence in a couple of weeks.

What does that mean, “disappear from existence”?
I don't know if it will disappear per se (as in be delisted from Steam and no longer be available for purchase or anything like that), but support for the game ceases at the end of the month. It will continue to be playable after that date.
Max Peck wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:23 pm Final Update on the Future of Marvel’s Avengers
To our amazing community,

After two-and-a-half years and introducing twelve of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, following Update 2.8 on March 31, 2023, we will no longer add new content or features to Marvel’s Avengers. All official support for the game will end on September 30, 2023.

Even after official support ceases on September 30, 2023, both single- and multi-player gameplay will continue to be available. See below for more information.

Update 2.7, which added the Winter Soldier Hero and Cloning Lab Omega-Level Threat, is the last new content to be added to the game. No new cosmetics are coming to the Marketplace, and all final balance updates will occur in Update 2.8 in March.

Along with the end of development, we’ll also be turning off the cosmetics Marketplace. When Update 2.8 launches on March 31, 2023, Credits will no longer be purchasable and all remaining Credit balances will be converted into in-game resources to aid ongoing adventures. Here is a table with the resources that will be granted based on existing Credit balances:

<Credits conversion table>

As a show of our appreciation for our community, starting March 31, 2023 we will make all the game’s Marketplace, Challenge Card, and Shipment cosmetic content available to all players for free. Every single Outfit, Takedown, Emote, and Nameplate from the Marketplace, Challenge Cards, and Shipments will be free for all players from this date onwards if you own a copy of the game.

Gifting the full library of Marketplace cosmetic content is a way to thank our community by letting everyone experience the breadth and depth of content in Marvel’s Avengers.

We know this is disappointing news as everyone in our community has such a connection to these characters and their stories. We’re so, so grateful that you came on this adventure with us. Your excitement for Marvel’s Avengers – from your epic Photo Mode shots, to your threads theorizing who our next Heroes would be, to your Twitch streams – has played a large part in bringing this game to life.

We hope you continue to play and enjoy Marvel’s Avengers. We can’t thank you enough for your support and for being part of our super team.

– Marvel’s Avengers Development Team

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

All support is being ended, and it will be removed from all stores on the 30th.

The game itself will still be installable and playable.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Does all the marketplace content need to be downloaded or added to your library before the end of September? Or has it effectively been unlocked/added for all already? Meaning - do I need to install this and grab the freebies or whenever I get around to the game, it will be available?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not knowing what you mean by 'marketplace', what I read said that all cosmetics/additional content/'deliveries', etc had been unlocked and added to everyone's game.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The cosmetics cash shop was referred to as the Marketplace. They shut it down and unlocked all the merch back in March. So far as I know everything is just unlocked and available to use for everyone, without needing to claim it before any deadline.

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I just actually booted the game again last night.
I can't recall how to get to the shop, but it's also probable that they removed it completely now.
In any case, I checked Black Widow and it does look like all of her marketplace stuff was unlock. However it didn't unlock all her cosmetics as there wree a few that were locked but purchasable on the carrier.
I would have checked other characters but I forgot how to switch characters and ot was getting late. I'll have to look that ip later.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's been ages since I played, so I can't remember how everything worked, but from what they've said all the cosmetics from the cash shop were unlocked and the Marketplace itself is gone. Cosmetics that are purchased using in-game currencies probably still need to be unlocked by playing the game though.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Ok thanks. Apologies if I didn't read carefully; didn't mean to confuse.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Details
Hey there, Avengers!

As we’ve previously announced, official support for Marvel’s Avengers: Definitive Edition is ending on Sept. 30, 2023, and the game will no longer be purchasable on Steam. However, we wanted to reassure you that while the game will no longer be for sale, the game will remain playable for owners largely as it is today.

To be specific on what is and isn’t changing on Sept. 30, 2023:

All currently available content will continue to be available as-is for solo and multiplayer play after Sept. 30, 2023.
If you own the game, it will remain in your game library for download and reinstallation after Sept. 30, 2023.
Limited-Time Events like the Red Room Takeover will continue to run after Sept. 30, 2023. These events will run in a two-week rotation. Reoccurring mission chains, events, and rewards will continue to refresh on the cadences they always have.
Customer support will no longer be available after Sept. 30, 2023.
All Operations and the War for Wakanda Expansion will continue to be playable as they are now.

Thank you to all our players for joining us on these adventures and letting us tell our stories with Kamala, Bruce, Tony, Steve, Nat, Thor, Clint, Kate, T'Challa, Pete, Jane, and Bucky. For anyone who hasn’t joined us yet, we hope you jump on this final chance to join Earth’s Mightiest Heroes alongside your friends.

Remember: good isn’t a thing you are; it’s a thing you do.

- The Marvel's Avengers Dev Team!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Would the basic gameplay here be more akin to Diablo or more akin to Batman Arkham/Dark Souls/LotR: Shadow of Mordor (not all exactly the same, but close enough to "don't want")?

I can't handle combo arcade like moves. Give me walk around and hit buttons w/ keyboard/mouse like Diablo or World of Warcraft or something like that, that I can handle.

Though more like Freedom Force would be more my preference. But for $3.99, thought it might be worth checking out.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Having just played for a few hours, nothing like Diablo. Probably more like the others. Controls have been a bit infuriating. As has the camera. The story is kind of interesting. I might just turn down the difficulty to Story mode. So I can enjoy the game without getting frustrated trying to remember what skills do what on the current character. Since it keeps switching my character. Makes it confusing. I mostly just spam the left mouse button and hope. There are combos, but I wouldn't say that I'm intentionally using any of them. The one bright note is that they seem to (so far) involve hitting the same key a number of times. So you don't have to mix a light attack with a heavy attack with a jump attack with a finishing light attack.... 'Cause that would really suck.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

TheMix wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:25 am Having just played for a few hours, nothing like Diablo. Probably more like the others. Controls have been a bit infuriating. As has the camera. The story is kind of interesting. I might just turn down the difficulty to Story mode. So I can enjoy the game without getting frustrated trying to remember what skills do what on the current character. Since it keeps switching my character. Makes it confusing. I mostly just spam the left mouse button and hope. There are combos, but I wouldn't say that I'm intentionally using any of them. The one bright note is that they seem to (so far) involve hitting the same key a number of times. So you don't have to mix a light attack with a heavy attack with a jump attack with a finishing light attack.... 'Cause that would really suck.
Thanks Mix, that's what I thought. I'll pass.
Spending $4 on a game I might never get around to playing much (like most everyone here, too many games to play, too little time), but have some desire to is one thing.
Spending $4 on a game I have 0 desire to play is a more of waste.