Playstation 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: Playstation 5

Post by Jaymann »

Octavious wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:27 pm It doesn't help that there was such a massive shortage of consoles. I'm really hoping the next year we start seeing a massive decline in cross platform stuff.
Huh. I thought if I was able to get one the floodgates must be open.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They have now, but that delayed them ignoring the PS4. Will take another year to kill it off finally. Hell I saw a gamestop this weekend that had them in stock.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I played through Astro's Playroom last night, and like others have mentioned it's a fun little game. My wife really likes the Astro game for PSVR, so if you enjoyed this and have the VR headset you might want to give that game a shot too. Unfortunately the VR makes me sick, so I don't play it.

Playroom is a great demo of the new controller and I hope at least some games will take full advantage of it in the future.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I like the PS 5 controller and I'm glad they included it with the console. However I had to tone down the feedback so it didn't shake out of my hands.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I was trying to identify the actor playing Odin on GoW Ragnarok, I recognized that animated face and voice. Found out it is Richard Schiff. They knocked it out of the park with that depiction.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished the new Ratchet & Clank today. Just a really excellent game all around. Definitely a good one to show off a shiny new PS5.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finished God of War Ragnrok (on story mode, which was still sometimes a challenge for me), and got all the puzzle chests except 1, where you had to complete certain challenges I was not able to do. PS 5 says I played 69.5 hours, but it seemed much longer.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:18 pm Finished God of War Ragnrok (on story mode, which was still sometimes a challenge for me), and got all the puzzle chests except 1, where you had to complete certain challenges I was not able to do. PS 5 says I played 69.5 hours, but it seemed much longer.
You know there's a God of War: Ragnarok thread, right?
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sorry but that's the PS4 version. 8-)
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I finished Kena: Bridge of Spirits tonight. A truly beautiful, unique, and wonderful game. How this didn't get more attention is entirely beyond me. Reminded me of a cross between Beyond Good & Evil and Zelda BOTW. Just a brilliant game that seemed to get entirely ignored.

I'd definitely put it on my "must play" list for PS5.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Added to my wish list. Thanks for the recommendation!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:38 am I finished Kena: Bridge of Spirits tonight. A truly beautiful, unique, and wonderful game. How this didn't get more attention is entirely beyond me. Reminded me of a cross between Beyond Good & Evil and Zelda BOTW. Just a brilliant game that seemed to get entirely ignored.

https://octopusoverlords.com/forum/view ... a#p2862999

The thread never went anywhere and it seemed like I was the only one that played it, but it isn't a playstation exclusive in case the mention in this thread would make anyone think that. I really enjoyed it, but I still don't see any similarity to BOTW.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:51 am
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:38 am I finished Kena: Bridge of Spirits tonight. A truly beautiful, unique, and wonderful game. How this didn't get more attention is entirely beyond me. Reminded me of a cross between Beyond Good & Evil and Zelda BOTW. Just a brilliant game that seemed to get entirely ignored.

https://octopusoverlords.com/forum/view ... a#p2862999

The thread never went anywhere and it seemed like I was the only one that played it, but it isn't a playstation exclusive in case the mention in this thread would make anyone think that. I really enjoyed it, but I still don't see any similarity to BOTW.
Could have sworn I searched for a thread. Must have missed it, will post some more detailed thoughts in there later.

I thought the myriad puzzle elements were very similar to the shrines in BotW. YMMV.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I played Kena and enjoyed it as well.
FTE
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Project Q
“We will launch a dedicated device that enables you to stream any game from your PS5 console using Remote Play over Wi-Fi,” PlayStation boss Jim Ryan said during the PlayStation Showcase. “Internally known as ‘Project Q,’ it has an 8-inch HD screen and all of the buttons and features of the DualSense wireless controller.”

More specifically, it’ll have an LCD screen running games at up to 1080p and 60fps over Wi-Fi, according to a Sony press release, and will feature both the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback of the DualSense. The Q handheld is set to launch later this year, though Sony didn’t say exactly when or how much the new device might cost.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Added to list of games to check out.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:39 am

Added to list of games to check out.
It’s available on PS+, if you have that.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I do...!
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

After waiting a long time, I have finally joined the cool kids and have gotten a PS5.

Woohoo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sony Confirms PS5 Slim for This Holiday Season
The new PS5 has been reduced in volume by more than 30%, and weight by 18% and 24% compared to the previous models, Sony said. There are four separate cover panels, with the top portion in a glossy look, while the bottom remains in matte. If you buy the PS5 Digital Edition, you can add the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive for PS5 later, as it will also be sold separately for $79.99
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If I'm understanding it correctly this drive wouldn't work with the existing digital system. I doubt I would have bought it, but would be nice if it were an option for the 1st gen peeps. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What's the state of internal ssd hard drives? I vaguely recall that firmware was preventing adding any new drives but that Sony planned to fix that.

Has that happened? Can you use off brand drives?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:43 pm What's the state of internal ssd hard drives? I vaguely recall that firmware was preventing adding any new drives but that Sony planned to fix that.

I added an internal SSD well over a year ago. I believe they recently added support for 8TB models.

As long as you meet the specs, I don't think brand matters.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/suppo ... 2-ssd/#min
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Well, it's marginally smaller. Does this mean it's finally time for me to replace our old PS4?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:16 pm Well, it's marginally smaller. Does this mean it's finally time for me to replace our old PS4?
I think the PS5 Pro is still rumored to be coming out late next year, if that’s something you think you might care about having over the Slim.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:51 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:43 pm What's the state of internal ssd hard drives? I vaguely recall that firmware was preventing adding any new drives but that Sony planned to fix that.

I added an internal SSD well over a year ago. I believe they recently added support for 8TB models.

As long as you meet the specs, I don't think brand matters.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/suppo ... 2-ssd/#min
Yep, it's extremely easy and cheap to add a SSD to the PS5, just make sure it's compatible speed wise.
Last edited by Scraper on Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Get an SSD with a heatsink or add one before you install it in your PS5.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:21 am Get an SSD with a heatsink or add one before you install it in your PS5.
Good to know, thanks. Getting an SSD is not a priority at this point, but I will do my due diligence when the time comes. Hopefully I won't miss anything.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

A heat dissipation method is actually one of the requirements.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I ordered mine without one and then realized what I'd done. But a quick 12 dollar order for a heatsink that I just used a stick pad to mount it on the stick solved the issue. Been running with that for almost a year now.
Covfefe!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I can't remember for sure, but I think that's the route I took too.
naednek

Post by naednek »

So I'm letting the ps plus lapse next month as it's too expensive and we don't play much. Despite losing access to the free games, what else happens? Do I need to download the save games that are in the cloud or will I still have access to them?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you play multiplayer games, that may end. I think, for example, my Elder Scrolls Online only works with a ps plus subscription or something.
Covfefe!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm pretty sure PS+ is required for cloud saves, so you might want to sync while you're still subscribed. You'll lose access to the games though, unless you've purchased them.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I just bought a PS5 Slim Spiderman 2 bundle. The interesting thing is the slim revision changes the way you're supposed to have it sit. While the original PS5 was all about having it sit vertically and even included a stand to do so, the PS5 Slim wants you to sit it horizontally like all other Playstations of the past. To do this, they include little plastic feet that you insert into the groove and they effectively prop up the overhang created by the positioning. It's an odd configuration, and I was skeptical of the little feet, but eh, it works. But with this configuration, the removable drive sits on the bottom which is an interesting place to put it.

Before this, I had a PS4 Slim. Even as a Slim version of the PS5, the PS5 Slim is still bigger than the PS4 Slim. It barely fits into the space I allocated for it while the PS4 Slim fit there without issue.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wish they'd make up their minds on consoles - vertical and horizontal placement require completely different types of shelving/entertainment centers.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't have minded being able to sit it vertically as it's quite a bit larger, and given that the original PS5 only had horizontal positioning as an optional afterthought, I do find it odd that they decided to go for the horizontal. My only thought is that the removable drive might have caused some imbalance issues, making them rethink the default positioning. But then, if the drive is removed, that is one less surface for the console to sit on.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My entertainment center has exactly zero places to put a vertical console. The top is the same width as the TV, and the bottom is two shelves that are eight or ten inches high.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:56 pm I just bought a PS5 Slim Spiderman 2 bundle. The interesting thing is the slim revision changes the way you're supposed to have it sit. While the original PS5 was all about having it sit vertically and even included a stand to do so, the PS5 Slim wants you to sit it horizontally like all other Playstations of the past. To do this, they include little plastic feet that you insert into the groove and they effectively prop up the overhang created by the positioning. It's an odd configuration, and I was skeptical of the little feet, but eh, it works. But with this configuration, the removable drive sits on the bottom which is an interesting place to put it.

Before this, I had a PS4 Slim. Even as a Slim version of the PS5, the PS5 Slim is still bigger than the PS4 Slim. It barely fits into the space I allocated for it while the PS4 Slim fit there without issue.
Fyi the launch version of the ps5 was exactly the same and I've always had mine sit horizontal.
FTE