Oscars 2023

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Oscars 2023

Post by AWS260 »

The nominations are out.

Two observations:
  • I'm so glad that Stephanie Hsu was nominated for Everything Everywhere All at Once. She is a force in that movie.
  • I hope that the Animated Short Film category makes the live broadcast, so that we can watch a Hollywood celebrity say "My Year of Dicks."
pr0ner

Re: Oscars 2023

Post by pr0ner »

I'm amused that Blonde was nominated for a shitton of Razzies yesterday, with de Armas escaping that fury, only to find out she got a Best Actress nom today.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've seen a nominated movie! The Banshees of Inisherin! We've got Everything, Everywhere, All at Once recorded, so we may watch that ahead of time, too. It's a banner year for classy movies in the LawBoy household.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hsu absolutely deserved that nomination.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Dumb that Avatar 2 got nominated for best picture. I enjoyed it, but it just shouldn't be in the conversation for best movie of the year.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I did not see that. It's a blockbuster, a fun carnival ride...but not a good movie.

The Oscars aren't really about the artistic merit of films though. It's about who makes the big bucks.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It does increase the chances that the Oscars broadcast will include a clip of a whale blinking at someone that something is too painful to talk about.
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The Best Picture category is so loaded this year. Gonna be interesting to see how it pans out.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I hope Frasier wins best actor. I have a hard time thinking the Oscars will want to kill that comeback story.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Another year without me having seen a nominated movie. In fact I haven't even heard of most of these.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:31 pm I did not see that. It's a blockbuster, a fun carnival ride...but not a good movie.

The Oscars aren't really about the artistic merit of films though. It's about who makes the big bucks.
Not exactly.

Going back to 2009 (when they expanded the nominees to 10), the winners for Best Picture have been:

2009 - The Hurt Locker
2010 - The King's Speech
2011 - The Artist
2012 - Argo
2013 - Twelve Years a Slave
2014 - Birdman
2015 - Spotlight
2016 - Moonlight
2017 - The Shape of Water
2018 - Green Book
2019 - Parasite
2020 - Nomadland
2021 - CODA

There are some moderately successful movies there, but no blockbusters. In fact, that's been the argument for a long time - that the Academy doesn't pay enough attention to commercial success, which causes people to tune out and lose interest. Expanding the Best Picture nominees to 10 was supposed to give them enough wiggle room to nominate some blockbusters and get people to watch to root for their favorite big movie. This year that's put Avatar 2 and Maverick on the slate (and maybe Elvis, but I don't know how that performed). None of the rest are big money movies.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hope Brendan Fraser wins Best Actor.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I stand corrected then. I haven't really paid much attention to the Oscars for a while and truly believed it was more about what made the most money than what was worth seeing. But some of those names obviously contradict that opinion.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

They expanded the number of Best Picture contenders specifically to include commercial blockbusters in hopes of drawing more viewers.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I actually saw one of the movies this year! Been a long time since that happened...
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I've seen Everything Everywhere and All Quiet on the Western Front. Also saw The Whale with Brendan Fraser, he sure seemed Oscar worthy to me. Will catch Inisherin and Top Gun at some point but am in no rush.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:31 pm [

There are some moderately successful movies there, but no blockbusters. In fact, that's been the argument for a long time - that the Academy doesn't pay enough attention to commercial success, which causes people to tune out and lose interest. Expanding the Best Picture nominees to 10 was supposed to give them enough wiggle room to nominate some blockbusters and get people to watch to root for their favorite big movie. This year that's put Avatar 2 and Maverick on the slate (and maybe Elvis, but I don't know how that performed). None of the rest are big money movies.
Much of it is extra exposure too, which will sometimes get a movie re-released to theatres. Some movies despite critical acclaim will have a short viewing window or never even get screened in some areas. For example, my Dad really wanted to see the Fabelmans, but I don't remember seeing it being played anywhere here. It's possible that due to the Oscar buzz that it gets re-released. Although on the other hand, I don't know how often that will happen anymore with streaming services available.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If they’re looking for ratings, they should have Will Smith host.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That would only work if Chris Rock was up for an Academy Award.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm really pulling for Brendan Fraser but I'm wondering if the whole "not casting an actual morbidly obese actor" kerfluffle will torpedo his chances. On the other hand I see his only real competition in Austin Butler, and Brendan could squeak by with the "nice guy that's overdue" sympathy votes.

I've only seen two of the Best Picture nominees (Top Gun and Elvis), but I at least have an interest in seeing Everything Everywhere All At Once, Banshees of Inisherin, The Fabelmans, and Avatar 2 - all were on my to watch list before the nominations came out.

Also I didn't realize until looking it up that sequels are nominated under best *adapted* screenplay even if they're original scripts, assuming they carry over characters or storylines from the previous film. I was puzzled why Glass Onion was up for that instead of original, so there's the answer.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:32 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:31 pm [

Much of it is extra exposure too, which will sometimes get a movie re-released to theatres. Some movies despite critical acclaim will have a short viewing window or never even get screened in some areas. For example, my Dad really wanted to see the Fabelmans, but I don't remember seeing it being played anywhere here. It's possible that due to the Oscar buzz that it gets re-released. Although on the other hand, I don't know how often that will happen anymore with streaming services available.
Saw an ad last night that Banshees of Inisherin is being re-released into theaters this Friday.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

See, I didn't even realize that one went to theatres. I thought it went direct to streaming. Sometimes by re-releasing, it gets a wider release.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I feel like there's a push this year to get people back into the theater. I know that March has like 900 movies coming out. A bunch I actually want to see.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I saw quite a few movies in the theatre this year, where the previous year I didn't. I saw Top Gun: Maverick, Wakanda Forever, and Elvis. I think this was a pretty good year respectively. I think there are still signs of hesitation on the part of moviegoers, but still much better than the year before. I sense it's stabilizing and I think it's likely to return to previous levels. It's just that it's not really an industry that you can rush and as long as they've realized that, they'll be fine.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm having a tough time reconciling Avatar 2 as a Best Picture Nominee, I'm not even sure the technical advances (were there really any?) could justify it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:06 pm See, I didn't even realize that one went to theatres. I thought it went direct to streaming. Sometimes by re-releasing, it gets a wider release.
I saw Banshees in a theatre.
Hodor.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:13 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:06 pm See, I didn't even realize that one went to theatres. I thought it went direct to streaming. Sometimes by re-releasing, it gets a wider release.
I needed subtitles just to watch the trailer.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:13 pm
By the time I'd heard of it, it was only available by streaming. And that was when it was being talked about over here.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:15 pm They expanded the number of Best Picture contenders specifically to include commercial blockbusters in hopes of drawing more viewers.
Meh, I will continue my decades long tradition of not watching and seeing the punchlines on the morning news.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Watching Banshees now. Fantastic film. The cast is absolutely stellar. I was about to say Barry Keoghan deserved an Oscar for his role in this….then I saw he was nominated.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Barry Keoghan is absolutely one of my favorite actors working today.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He’s definitely getting noticed the last few years. He’s on every list I’ve seen for best young actors.

Hell, he even almost single handedly managed to make The Eternals watchable.

….and just finished Banshees. I’m still thinking about it in terms of my own life. This one will stay with you. I’m really torn between this and Everything Everywhere All at Once being the best film of 2022.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

That last scene on the beach stuck with me for a while.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The scene with Barry when
Spoiler:
he professes his love to Siobhán in his own way, realizes it's never gonna happen when she tells him as much, then quietly notes that another dream just died? Broke my goddamn heart. :(

edit: oh...wait...thanks internet for making me go through it all again.

Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oof. I'd forgotten about that scene. Yeah.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Spoiler:
And then he goes and does whatever he was going to do over there. That scene is unbelievably grim in larger context.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Spoiler:
Considering his fate, yes. I’m assuming that “thing” he was gonna do “over there” was kill himself. He’s lost the one thing that gave him a sliver of hope in that scene.

Dominic’s home life gets short shrift in the movie. But it is incredibly tragic. That’s why “Well….there goes that dream” is just devastating the way he delivers it.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I watched Banshees last night. It was not at all what I was expecting going in, but I really enjoyed it. And the performances were stellar, as expected. I did have to turn subtitles on though...geez that accent.
telcta

Post by telcta »

The Apple TV has a feature where you hold the Siri button and say, “What did he say?” And the movie goes back about 15 seconds, turns on subtitles then automatically turns them back off. I used it frequently.

I really enjoyed Banshees. I try to go into a movie knowing as little as possible and, to me, when a movie like this comes along, makes it so much better. I’ll go as far as not looking at the rating bug in the top left corner of the screen so it doesn’t telegraph what’s going to be in the movie (I do it for TV shows too). And the “previously on…” I immediately skip.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Brendan Frasier just got Best Actor at the SAG Awards. Wtg man wtg!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"