Hitman - the new one

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Hitman - the new one

Post by coopasonic »

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-3-road-to-freelancer/
It will arrive as a free update for all HITMAN 3 owners.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Pretty sure it's free DLC, but I've been wrong before. Sounds fun. It's amazing how well they have supported the game over the years.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

‘World of Assassination’
this is not a good title
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:38 am

‘World of Assassination’
this is not a good title
Particularly because of the very different franchise with Assassin in the title and a global setting. I'm not sure what they were thinking there.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

To be fair, the full title is "HITMAN World of Assassination" so it isn't like they've abandoned their existing brand to go full-on generic. They're just replacing the "3" in "HITMAN 3" with some text that reflects that it now comes all the existing content. Nobody is likely to confuse it with Assassin's Creed.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:18 am To be fair, the full title is "HITMAN World of Assassination" so it isn't like they've abandoned their existing brand to go full-on generic. They're just replacing the "3" in "HITMAN 3" with some text that reflects that it now comes all the existing content. Nobody is likely to confuse it with Assassin's Creed.
That seems rather murky. The store page on Epicgames refers to it interchangably as the "HITMAN trilogy" and the "World of Assassination trilogy". https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/hitman-3--trilogy
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Chraolic wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:52 am
Max Peck wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:18 am To be fair, the full title is "HITMAN World of Assassination" so it isn't like they've abandoned their existing brand to go full-on generic. They're just replacing the "3" in "HITMAN 3" with some text that reflects that it now comes all the existing content. Nobody is likely to confuse it with Assassin's Creed.
That seems rather murky. The store page on Epicgames refers to it interchangably as the "HITMAN trilogy" and the "World of Assassination trilogy". https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/hitman-3--trilogy
In the developer's own words:
As of 26 January 2023, the following changes are planned to come into effect.
  • HITMAN 3 will become ‘HITMAN World of Assassination’, which will also include access to HITMAN 1 and HITMAN 2 through our existing Access Pass system. Current HITMAN 3 owners will get a free upgrade to HITMAN World of Assassination on all platforms
  • We’re drastically simplifying the purchase experience for new players. HITMAN World of Assassination will be the single available option to start playing.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:26 pm In the developer's own words:
  • HITMAN 3 will become ‘HITMAN World of Assassination’, which will also include access to HITMAN 1 and HITMAN 2 through our existing Access Pass system. Current HITMAN 3 owners will get a free upgrade to HITMAN World of Assassination on all platforms
  • We’re drastically simplifying the purchase experience for new players. HITMAN World of Assassination will be the single available option to start playing.
Well, all I can say is that the branding doesn't seem very consistent to me.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

/shrug - I honestly couldn't tell if you were serious (but then I read up, and realized you are). It seems pretty consistent to me. Every game they make always starts with a big huge HITMAN.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:37 am /shrug - I honestly couldn't tell if you were serious (but then I read up, and realized you are). It seems pretty consistent to me. Every game they make always starts with a big huge HITMAN.
Are you trying to gaslight me? Even the developer's own homepage doesn't consistently use the full title.
https://www.ioi.dk/news/
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

HITMAN 3 will become ‘HITMAN World of Assassination’,

I mean I guess I don't get what you are saying. They are sick of doing the 1, 2, 3 thing. So instead of "3", it's "World of Assassination"... but they are clear that it is: "HITMAN - World of Assassination".
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:15 am
HITMAN 3 will become ‘HITMAN World of Assassination’,

I mean I guess I don't get what you are saying. They are sick of doing the 1, 2, 3 thing. So instead of "3", it's "World of Assassination"... but they are clear that it is: "HITMAN - World of Assassination".
Is this a localization thing? Because it looks like this on my screen.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yes, sorry - I see that too (and yes, that alone is a little confusing), but then the article behind it explains it all (and is where the quote I pulled "HITMAN 3 will become ‘HITMAN World of Assassination’," from. )

The way I see it is this:

They want to have a product that encompasses their entire line of products (past and future)...

So what they have done is created "HITMAN: World of Assassination"... That will have HITMAN 1,2, and HITMAN 3 content... and will just be called HITMAN: World of Assassination - and if you have HITMAN 3, they will just upgrade you to it. So it just sounds to me that the news is that HITMAN 3 itself is just going to be the 'World of Assassination' concept they were talking about in 2015. And they wanted to be clear if you have HITMAN 3, you are already 'on-board'.

It's a little awkward here at this juncture - but as long as the HITMAN prefix is still attached it seems 'the branding' is still intact, IMO.

But, yes - the headline alone is confusing. It should have said: "HITMAN 3 to become 'HITMAN - World of Assassination'."
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Chraolic wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:36 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:26 pm In the developer's own words:
Well, all I can say is that the branding doesn't seem very consistent to me.
Before the reboot, Hitman series except for Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Hitman series were always using Hitman something as the game titles like Hitman: Codename 47, Hitman: Contracts, Hitman: Blood Money and Hitman: Absolution.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:52 am Before the reboot, Hitman series except for Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Hitman series were always using Hitman something as the game titles like Hitman: Codename 47, Hitman: Contracts, Hitman: Blood Money and Hitman: Absolution.
I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about the new release. Probably because it was referenced multiple times, linked to twice, and also the title of the thread.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's just bad phrasing in the article. The name of the game is Hitman: World of Assassination. They call it "World of Assassination" the same way that people say, "I'm playing Modern Warfare" without including the 'Call of Duty.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:10 pm It's just bad phrasing in the article. The name of the game is Hitman: World of Assassination. They call it "World of Assassination" the same way that people say, "I'm playing Modern Warfare" without including the 'Call of Duty.'
I honestly can't even with you people. So now we've gone from "Well it could never be misunderstood because the full title is always used." to "Well the developers meant the full title anyways even if they didn't write it.". I don't see how that is any progress whatsoever, so I give up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Since they combined the Hitman series with the Mario Bros game franchise, I find it even more confusing. "Hitman Mario 3: World of Assassination and Go Kart Racing" just does not roll off the tongue. :hand:
He won. Period.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:03 pm Since they combined the Hitman series with the Mario Bros game franchise, I find it even more confusing. "Hitman Mario 3: World of Assassination and Go Kart Racing" just does not roll off the tongue. :hand:
:D It is getting to be a rather silly discussion :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This is worse than the time they merged the Barbie Adventure Island series with Dark Souls.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Chraolic wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:53 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:10 pm It's just bad phrasing in the article. The name of the game is Hitman: World of Assassination. They call it "World of Assassination" the same way that people say, "I'm playing Modern Warfare" without including the 'Call of Duty.'
I honestly can't even with you people. So now we've gone from "Well it could never be misunderstood because the full title is always used." to "Well the developers meant the full title anyways even if they didn't write it.". I don't see how that is any progress whatsoever, so I give up.
English.

We shorten things. We do it all the time.

They just did it in the title of the article, which made it confusing. I don't see why it's such a big deal.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

HITMAN World of Assassination has been released. Here are the patch notes which IOI have chosen to put together in a way that does not lend to simple text copying :roll:.

Also, HITMAN Freelancer has been implemented:

HITMAN: Freelancer adds some new types of gameplay into the normal gameplay recipe of the main game.

An important example of this is what we call “strategic planning”.

Where the main game can be described as the VIP version of being an assassin, where the player has an organization that finds the targets and supplies both detailed briefings as well as gear, Agent 47 has a lot of the hard work taken care of for him.

In HITMAN: Freelancer, that’s not the case. It’s much more of an independent experience, where a lot of the surrounding work of being an assassin is put into the hands of the player.

Players will have to build and maintain an arsenal of gear, but also decide on what to bring to missions, weigh up the pros and cons of having a limited gear capacity and the risk of losing valuable and hard to come by equipment.
Another way that HITMAN Freelancer gives more freedom to the player is by giving them the choice of which Syndicates to go up against - all based on the players’ preferred gameplay style, favorite locations, and maybe even the personal dislikes of certain types of crime of the player. The opportunities for success against these syndicates will very much rely on the tools a player has available when commencing a mission.

Without a handler, players can also delve into the important role of carrying our their own recon and investigation work, by identifying targets in Showdown missions.

Everything is an opportunity that can be planned for, and exploited, by a player who is good at creatively combining information in the Safehouse and improvising when something unexpected happens on a mission.
The key here, is that HITMAN: Freelancer puts the strategic planning of a mission into the hands of the player. The game mode relies on randomized elements, that are rolled independently of each other. The game mode gives the player all available information, but there’s no guarantee that an objective, for instance, is possible when on the mission. To succeed, it is up to the player to ensure that a payout objective is possible, by bringing the right gear, or choosing the right combination of location, brought gear and objectives.

In that sense HITMAN: Freelancer is very different from the main game – there’s no hand-holding Mission Stories with scripted custom kills, that are always possible. Every iconic takedown in HITMAN: Freelancer is an emergent construct of systemic game mechanics and the foresight and creativity of the player.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The game is still listed in Steam as Hitman 3 and Hitman World of Assassination is a package that includes Hitman 3 and all its non-Deluxe content DLC. The Deluxe DLC is available individually or in a bundle, but there are also still a couple of non-bundled cosmetic DLC to round out the offering.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:26 pm The game is still listed in Steam as Hitman 3 and Hitman World of Assassination is a package that includes Hitman 3 and all its non-Deluxe content DLC. The Deluxe DLC is available individually or in a bundle, but there are also still a couple of non-bundled cosmetic DLC to round out the offering.
I'm not going down that rabbit hole again :wink:. I bought HITMAN 3 (ah, a reason to use my caps lock!) back when it was on sale. I already had HITMAN 1 and 2. When I look at the Steam store it shows I have all the HITMAN WORLD OF ASSASSINATION content already, which it was supposed to have because I bought HITMAN 3. So I'm good except for those two $4.99 packs they now have available.

So I've been putting in some time on the Freelancer mode. I kind of like the concept, put your target location, pick your tools and go for it. I absolutely suck at HITMAN by the way, so the Freelancer (why is it not FREELANCER? :D) mode is going to be a challenge, but it is something different.

There are eight syndicates to choose from to go after. Getting four of the syndicate leaders "wins" a Freelancer campaign. For the first syndicate I went after I had to complete two contracts to unlock access to go to the showdown mission to get the syndicate leader. Or so I thought. I got killed on the very first contract :roll: which meant I lost the items I was carrying and half my money. After recovering from my (apparently not) fatal wounds I went after my second mission target. Rather oddly as I stood at the beginning of the mission in a plaza trying to figure out what to do, my target jogged in front of me :mrgreen:. I didn't have a weapon so I knocked her down and broke her neck. In spite of this heinous behavior apparently no bystander thought enough to call up Five-O and I ran out through a nearby exit 8-)

So that unlocked the showdown mission to go after the syndicate leader; apparently I didn't need to complete both of the contracts. So I went to the location of the syndicate leader. After a few minutes of searching I managed to wander into a security room where the guard nicely lead me out to the main area; awfully decent of him :P. I then managed to get too close to one of my four potential targets (you have to observe them to figure out who is the syndicate leader) and got myself shot :grund:. I ended back in the hospital bed in 47's house, again losing all my items and half my money. But I can now go after another syndicate or abort the campaign and start again.

The life of an assassin was a lot easier for Ezio :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I continued my Freelancer campaign with a new syndicate target. Again, going to Miami was one of the contracts. I was glad to see when I went there that the target was different and this time I wandered all over to find him. The contract target is actually shown on the map so they are easier to find, but you can turn this off in the Gameplay options if you want more of a challenge. Also there are four syndicates to take down and the introduction to the mode says that each new set of syndicate contracts will be harder. The intro also said that Freelancer mode is "rogue like", so if you die or are captured you reset your progress and all the neat stuff you have bought or picked up. You still keep half your money ("Mercs") and all your XP. As you level up with XP you unlock more areas of your home. Apparently you have to get to level four if you want to pee!

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wow, I forgot how badly I suck at the Hitman series. I played in Freelancer mode for a couple more hours and managed to complete only two contracts and lost about six others. I have no patience for all that planning and sneaking :wink:. But I've been slowly accumulating XP and now at least I have access to Agent 47's closet, which has some alternate suits to wear :roll:.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's very hard. Im losing way more than I'm winning. I haven't been able to get past the 3rd mission.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just want to pile on here. I finally got Hitman 3 in the spring sale (I played it on GamePass before I think) and played around with Freelancer. Wow. That is hard. Taking away the ability to save scum really ups the difficulty. I am constantly getting into firefights or running away when I take an action that I *think* nobody can see. I am wrong so often on that. There is always someone looking. I have completed one showdown. I have terrible luck identify the target. I am often wrong just going after a target that has 5 of the 6 characteristics and then the real target flees and I can't get to them in time.

I am getting better, but oh so slowly. I love it while I hate it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I got distracted and didn't play it too much. I really should go back as that new mode is simply fantastic fun.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It is fun, in an incredibly rage inducing way. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:36 pm It is fun, in an incredibly rage inducing way. :D
Amen to that. I've tried it for several hours and can't quite get past the first campaign. I wish that after each failed attempt I could be granted one item to add to my inventory.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:31 pm I wish that after each failed attempt I could be granted one item to add to my inventory.
It is pretty easy to build up an inventory of weapons even through failures, on your first mission, make the kill and then go on a collecting spree and get out when you get in trouble. It's easier when you have cleared the entire map of enemies!

For the tools, you are out of luck though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:51 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:31 pm I wish that after each failed attempt I could be granted one item to add to my inventory.
It is pretty easy to build up an inventory of weapons even through failures, on your first mission, make the kill and then go on a collecting spree and get out when you get in trouble. It's easier when you have cleared the entire map of enemies!

For the tools, you are out of luck though.
Yeah, it's the tools I've found useful. And I'm so worried about losing my inventory if I fail a mission I tend to leave any weapons I've gotten on the successful missions back on the wall :roll:.

My biggest problem is that I'm not patient enough :oops: