IDK but it looks delicious
9%

Total votes: 54

Jeff V

Re: [Food] What do you call this?

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:33 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:27 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:09 pm Yesterday I had Hamburger Helper Chilli Mac and a Polish sausage. Don't ever do that.
I only use polish sausage with kraut. Fry it up and mm mmm.
Add whole-grain mustard and I'm in.

One of our local breakfast joints makes a kielbasa omelet that's to die for.
Try it with horseradish instead of mustard. You're welcome.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kinda screwed myself on cooking food today as yesterday I found a great deal in the store and had to use the last of my FS to get stuff. It was a big ole split chicken breast marinated then rubbed with spicy southwestern rub in its own little baking pan. $3. I scooped it up. BUT I forgot I had put 2 lbs of ground beef into thaw as today I was going to cook american goulash. doh. I couldn't exactly refreeze the meat as thats unsafe so I just cooked both. Man o man am I stuffed. SO good bother of them. I put two large containers of the goulash in the the freezer to have over the next few weeks or take some to my sister. I still have a large mixing bowl half full to eat alone lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:49 pm I couldn't exactly refreeze the meat as thats unsafe
I feel like I mentioned this before, but maybe that was before I slipped through into this dimension.

There's nothing unsafe about refreezing meat. I mean, assuming it was thawing in your refrigerator and not on your counter top for the last 3 days, you just slap it back in the freezer. The only issue would be a potential loss in quality (flavor, texture) but I doubt that would be an issue for most people regardless.

ON TOPIC: Referring to this as "chili mac" is really bothering me. I'd say it's "Hamburger Helper" though maybe you could get away with referring to it as macaroni with meat sauce. I'm not really sure as I never ate it growing up.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I wouldn't call it Hamburger Helper unless it actually is made with Hamburger Helper. Hamburger Helper comes with a packet of powder that is reconstituted to make the sauce, so using it as a generic name saddles the food with an implication of low-effort poor quality.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:05 pm Referring to this as "chili mac" is really bothering me. I'd say it's "Hamburger Helper" though maybe you could get away with referring to it as macaroni with meat sauce. I'm not really sure as I never ate it growing up.
I did. Mothers in the '60s were all about convenience, and this is one of those stovetop dishes that's super easy to make. It bothers me a little that my mom is the only one who called it slumgullion.

Was thinking about making it this week (with Beyond Beef), but I made mac-n-cheese last week and I try to avoid going to the pasta well too often. Instead I'm making a Mexican meatball soup. Maybe I'll do slumgullion next week.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:35 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:15 am Wonder how it'd taste with "not beef" (those beef substitutes)?
Wife is nominally a vegetarian who just gave her blessing to Beyond and Impossible burger within the past year. I like Beyond Meat better and have used it to revive many old dishes, such as chili, that I hadn't made in ages. It works just fine when it's an ingredient, rather than front-and-center -- you wouldn't want to make a meat loaf out of it, for example, but it's OK as a burger patty and works great in stews and casseroles. It doesn't *quite* taste like real ground beef, but the texture is right and I've come to like the flavor. And it's been on sale lately. Still costs more than ground beef but not outrageously so.
The Beyond patties work out pretty well as ground beef if you crumble them up. I bought a case of the Cookout Classic packages and they work out to less than $2/patty. And the packaging is so much less wasteful.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:20 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:35 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:15 am Wonder how it'd taste with "not beef" (those beef substitutes)?
Wife is nominally a vegetarian who just gave her blessing to Beyond and Impossible burger within the past year. I like Beyond Meat better and have used it to revive many old dishes, such as chili, that I hadn't made in ages. It works just fine when it's an ingredient, rather than front-and-center -- you wouldn't want to make a meat loaf out of it, for example, but it's OK as a burger patty and works great in stews and casseroles. It doesn't *quite* taste like real ground beef, but the texture is right and I've come to like the flavor. And it's been on sale lately. Still costs more than ground beef but not outrageously so.
The Beyond patties work out pretty well as ground beef if you crumble them up. I bought a case of the Cookout Classic packages and they work out to less than $2/patty. And the packaging is so much less wasteful.
I buy the 1-pound packs and make my own patties (for Wife; I make normal burgers for myself). In its bulk form, it browns up pretty nicely when cooked in oil, but it goes from browned to burnt fairly quickly if you aren't careful.

The meatball soup turned out great, but one of the drawbacks of fake meat is that it loses coherence. It doesn't stick to itself the way ground beef does. The meatballs will slowly crumble and dissolve. That's OK; it just makes the broth "meaty," but I'd prefer the balls to stay balled. I've tried a few different binders but haven't found the right mix yet.

Here's the Mexican meatball soup recipe if anyone wants to try it.
Spoiler:
MEATBALLS
1 egg
1 pound ground beef
1 cup cooked white rice
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano
Salt and black pepper, to taste

1. Set the oven at 425 degrees. Have on hand a rimmed baking sheet.

2. In a large bowl, combine the egg, beef, rice, cilantro, garlic, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Mix with clean hands until thoroughly blended. Form the meat mixture into 1-inch balls (about 15).

3. Place the meatballs on the baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and roast for 10 minutes.

SOUP
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 jalapeno or other small chile pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
1 can (14 ounces) tomato sauce
8 cups beef broth
4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ peeled butternut, 1 peeled whole honeynut, or another variety, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Handful fresh cilantro leaves (for garnish)
2 limes, cut into wedges (for serving)

1. In a soup pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and jalapeno, and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until it softens. Add the cumin and chile powder, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.

2. Stir in the tomato sauce and beef broth. Bring the liquids to a boil. Add the carrots, potatoes, squash, and a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are almost cooked through.

3. Add the meatballs to the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the meatballs are heated through and all the vegetables are tender. (Total simmering time is 30 minutes.) Taste for seasoning and add more salt and black pepper, if you like. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro. Serve with limes.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 pm I've tried a few different binders but haven't found the right mix yet.
Meet (pun intended) transglutaminase
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:48 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:05 pm Referring to this as "chili mac" is really bothering me. I'd say it's "Hamburger Helper" though maybe you could get away with referring to it as macaroni with meat sauce. I'm not really sure as I never ate it growing up.
I did. Mothers in the '60s were all about convenience, and this is one of those stovetop dishes that's super easy to make. It bothers me a little that my mom is the only one who called it slumgullion.

Was thinking about making it this week (with Beyond Beef), but I made mac-n-cheese last week and I try to avoid going to the pasta well too often. Instead I'm making a Mexican meatball soup. Maybe I'll do slumgullion next week.
I dont think she was alone as I see that name all over the online world when I Google it.

Also.......
A slumgullion is a stew, usually made up of whatever is at hand but containing at least component of meat. The word slumgullion is an American word first seen in print in the 1870s in the story Roughin' It by Mark Twain. However, in the story, slumgullion referred to a nasty, watery beverage.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 pm I've tried a few different binders but haven't found the right mix yet.
I like eggs as binders, but they're getting kind of expensive for that use.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:48 pm It bothers me a little that my mom is the only one who called it slumgullion.
Slumgullion sounds like a made up word for a food that Orcs ate in the Silmarillion.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gbasden wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:39 am
Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:48 pm It bothers me a little that my mom is the only one who called it slumgullion.
Slumgullion sounds like a made up word for a food that Orcs ate in the Silmarillion.
Does it say that it has meat in it on the menu?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:21 am
It should...
slumgullion
noun
slum·​gul·​lion ˈsləm-ˌgəl-yən
: a meat stew

Did you know?
Slumgullion may not sound like the most appetizing name for a dish, but that's part of its charm. The word's etymology doesn't necessarily do it any favors: while the origins of slumgullion are somewhat murky, the word is believed to derive from slum, an old word for "slime," and gullion, an English dialectical term for "mud" or "cesspool." The earliest recorded usages of slumgullion, including one from Mark Twain's Roughing It (1872), refer not to a stew but a beverage. The sense referring to the stew debuted a few decades later, and while there is no consensus on exactly what ingredients are found in it, that's the slumgullion that lives on today.
Also, all words are made up...
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:21 am
Enlarge Image

/I've got your back
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:43 pm I wouldn't call it Hamburger Helper unless it actually is made with Hamburger Helper. Hamburger Helper comes with a packet of powder that is reconstituted to make the sauce, so using it as a generic name saddles the food with an implication of low-effort poor quality.
Hold up, now. It almost sounds like you’re throwing shade at Hamburger Helper. I’m sure that’s not your intent, so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Hamburger Helper was a staple in my house growing up. Pure comfort food!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I was just commenting that the photo sure looked like hamburger helper.

I can throw shade or compliments as necessary ;)

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Hamburger Stretcher would be more apt. :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get a generic version of Hamburger Helper. I only like 2 versions though...Cheeseburger mac and also Beef Strog
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Wife's traveling, so I made myself some slumgullion.

First time I've had it since I was a child. Using the open half-jar of spaghetti sauce in the fridge is in the leftovers spirit of slumgullion, but basil isn't the greatest addition. And it needs more salt. It still has that shovel-it-in quality that's essential in comfort food.

This pan will last me the rest of the week.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Don't know what that called, but not goulash to me. Goulash is more soup or stew than that.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

In the USN they served that particular variant for midnight rations from leftovers mixed together. (midrats)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:56 am Don't know what that called, but not goulash to me. Goulash is more soup or stew than that.
His is American Goulash. You're thinking Hungarian Goulash.

Enlarge Image
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:54 pm Image

My Midwestern mom, of Dutch heritage, called it slumgullion
This is the first I've ever heard mention of slumgullion, and I've just come across only the second mention of it I've ever heard as Johnny Cash translates Waltzing Matilda for us 'mericans. :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL4v7UrqcF4
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

em2nought wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:45 pm This is the first I've ever heard mention of slumgullion, and I've just come across only the second mention of it I've ever heard as Johnny Cash translates Waltzing Matilda for us 'mericans. :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL4v7UrqcF4
Thanks for that link. I think usage of "slumgullion" mostly died out with the Depression generation, and the word itself will probably be forgotten when us Boomers, who learned it from them, are gone.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:14 pm
em2nought wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:45 pm This is the first I've ever heard mention of slumgullion, and I've just come across only the second mention of it I've ever heard as Johnny Cash translates Waltzing Matilda for us 'mericans. :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL4v7UrqcF4
Thanks for that link. I think usage of "slumgullion" mostly died out with the Depression generation, and the word itself will probably be forgotten when us Boomers, who learned it from them, are gone.
Come to think of it, my mother's version did smack of depression food, except maybe for the ground cow. The tomato sauce was lifeless (not like spaghetti sauce, which would have improved it 1000 fold). She put raw onion and bell pepper in it, neither which I care for (maybe because of this dish). Now, my mom was born during the depression (1932) and it's not very likely she remembers it from those days, although her mom (b.1917) might have passed it along. Much like Cafe du Monde (among others) still celebrates chicory coffee...chicory is a bitter plant that was used to stretch more expensive coffee. It did not add anything positive to this otherwise essential beverage.
Black Lives Matter