pricing a gun

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Madmarcus

pricing a gun

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm not a big anti-gun person but I feel no need to have one in the house. So I'm using the upcoming move as a reason to finally get around to selling the two handguns that I inherited 15+ years ago. Which is a horrible task because while I know about fair amount about historical guns I know nothing about real live physical guns; I can tell that they aren't in perfect shape but are they fair or good? Which of the many websites can give me a decent feel for a person to person price? I know I can sell them but I don't want to feel like I've been ripped off in the process.

Walther PPK/S, I'd say fair condition, missing the magazine
H&R model 929 .22 revolver, good? condition
Isgrimnur

Re: pricing a gun

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://www.gunbroker.com/, the eBay of the firearm world, would probably be a good research location
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's been a long time since I've worked in guns, but my first thought is that neither is going to be worth much (neither is a high-value firearm, especially in imperfect condition, unless they have some feature that makes them collectible - special edition, grips, etc), and that (depending on where you live), they may be a lot of hassle to transfer from person to person. And if they're not, there are the ethical issues to consider (is the guy offering you $100 for the revolver looking for a disposable gun? Why?)

Given the relatively low dollar numbers, you may just be better off seeing what a gun shop will offer you for them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a couple of PPKs. I'd don't know but I'd say $300 in good condition. The 22 less than a hundred.
If you can selling them yourself will get you the most money.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Looking at at gunbroker, truegunvalue, and gunwatcher seems to give a value of $300 used for the Walther. Knock off a bit for condition and another $50 for the magazine and it still looks like $150 or so it pretty fair. The revolver prices are all over the place online but seem to be slightly higher than the Walther so I'm guessing another $150 or perhaps a little more at least initially.

Any sale to a private individual will be to people I have known for years.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I tried selling (at a pawn shop) a brand new Ruger Standard,stainless steel in it's original box with extra magazine and they offered $150. I laughed at them and walked out.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'd just go to gun stores and see if they'd buy those. Keep the records. Or trade them on something at a pawn shop with a firearms license. Keep the records.

If you don't know if they're loaded, I'd go into the store without them at first and tell them you don't know if they're loaded or not and can you bring them in for them to check and or unload.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have a couple of long guns that haven't been fired since I was a teenager and I only keep them partly out of sentiment (they were my parents') and partly from inertia. They aren't registered and I'm not licensed so I don't legally own them and can't sell them. The state has a process for surrendering unwanted guns to the local constabulary, but they don't pay money unless a gun amnesty is in effect, when the state occasionally offers a bounty.

I don't even know what type of ammo the deer rifle uses (.3006 maybe?), but I do still have some 50-year-old shells for my shotgun. :) Do shotgun shells have a shelf life? Of course you can't buy ammo without a license, so I'd just be throwing them away, not replacing them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

All ammo has a shelf life. Altho when I was in the Air Force our planes practice ammo was from WW2. At the time 30+ years old.
Around here if you don't want ammo you can give it to the police dept to dispose of.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And expired ammo can be extremely dangerous, especially if the primer starts to corrode.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Kraken described my situation well. These are from the 80s. We have no paperwork on them. My wife was the only heir and the executor of his estate so we simply carried them away along with other stuff when we cleaned out his house. Neither of us has a license. As far as I know I can either gift them to the police, keep holding them waiting for a gun buyback, or do a private sale off the record to someone I trust.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Madmarcus wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:25 am Kraken described my situation well. These are from the 80s. We have no paperwork on them. My wife was the only heir and the executor of his estate so we simply carried them away along with other stuff when we cleaned out his house. Neither of us has a license. As far as I know I can either gift them to the police, keep holding them waiting for a gun buyback, or do a private sale off the record to someone I trust.
My dad collected guns. When he died, I gifted them to my sister's husband to sell in Michigan, where the guns were and where the laws are lax. I let my BIL keep the money because they were poorer than I was. I only kept my shotgun and my mom's rifle, which are still with me 30+ years later. Hypothetically I could drive to NH or VT, where the laws are lax, and buy ammunition for them. If we move out to the Berkshires I might keep them because there's a whole lot of rural out there. But if we end up staying in civilization I'll take them to the next buyback.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Buyback was the plan originally but we didn't get around to it before now and we really don't see much reason to move them!

Sold for my asking price.