Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Random randomness

Post by dbt1949 »

I was just a thinkin and I recon I've been living in the south for 45 years. 2 Years in New England and 25 years out west. And I love living on a mountain.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

do you maybe have Dolby Digital and/or 5.1 audio enabled?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

McDonald’s is testing a new strawless lid

Looks like a sippy cup lid. I like straws a lot more but wouldn't mind for the most part. But it does bring up a health concern. Straws are individually paper wrapped and sanitary. Unless they do the same for cup lids I can only imagine what nasty stuff is on people's fingers as they fumble trying to separate the lids to get just one. Germs on the sippy part!
“These lids help optimize our packaging and eliminate the use of small plastics, just one example of the many solutions we’re reviewing as part of our ongoing global commitment to reduce waste,” a McDonald’s spokesperson said in a statement.

The plastic lids have a pullback tab to prevent the drink from splashing out. To drink from it, customers have to pull the tab back and slot it into a small opening. It’s similar to the “sippy cup” lid at Starbucks that has been in use for the past three years.
If thats the case then just use paper straws. Thats what I used as a kid. Had a stripe pattern on them. As long as you didn't leave it in your drink for hours it was fine.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:36 pm do you maybe have Dolby Digital and/or 5.1 audio enabled?
Looking at my SB settings and Win10 setting all were stereo and such except one setting in SB that was on 'surround'. I turned it off.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Starbucks has had these for a long time. They don't play well with ice or other objects (e.g. chunks of fruit). Either nothing comes out or it dribbles down the side of your mouth. But some concessions obviously have to be made in the reduction of single-use plastic. Unfortunately, the paper straws suck too. (No pun intended.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:23 am
If thats the case then just use paper straws. Thats what I used as a kid. Had a stripe pattern on them. As long as you didn't leave it in your drink for hours it was fine.
Paper straws are gross AF. I'll bring my own metal straw, thanks. But the sippy lid looks ok to me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Costco already use strawless cups. I'm not a fan. They give paper straws by request. I prefer those. At the same time, I actually prefer no straw and no lid but we live in germy times.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gbasden wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:34 am
Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:23 am
Paper straws are gross AF. I'll bring my own metal straw, thanks. But the sippy lid looks ok to me.
Metal straws are too dangerous in my mind. Brings to memory that woman using one in her home and falling and it going into her face or eye and head. Combine that with driving and thats double trouble.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's when you go with silicone.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just make sure it's body safe food grade silicone.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Always made me mad how older generations thought they knew the value of money or fun. Cant count the times my granny would fuss at me for going to the arcade and spending a buck or two. "Why you might as well have thrown that money out the window or into the fountain for what you have to show for it"...Show for it eh? I suppose I should have bought food. I coulda showed the turd to everyone later. I maybe a newspaper or magazine Id use once and be useless.

I could buy a video game for $20 and get the "Why you could have gone to the movies for that!"...Yaaaa I could get 2 hours entertainment instead of the weeks Id get with my game.

And it never ended. They had value in their minds for everything and how to use money. And a snarky saying to go with it. HATED that. Hated it into my teens and even 20s or so. Now that Im in my 50s I should go sit somewhere and yell at the younger folk passing "You coulda gotten a dozen eggs with the money you wasted on that streaming service!" and such.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

People who lived thru the Great Depression and a hard life where saving pennies meant something. So they have a hard time with spending money now a days. My parents went thru the Great Depression and tried to teach me their ways. It lasted until I went into the service and learned very few of my buddies felt that way.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe. My granny would rather get run over than give me $5 back in the 80s. She'd give me $1 and tell me and my friend to go get us a hamburger. I never said anyways cause i knew she was old and not as well plus Im sure she actually thought I could get a couple burgers for a buck. Id just smile and say thanks mamaw and we'd go buy cigs instead :) That was in the early and mid 80s as teens.

One day when she went next door i checked her purse. She had a packed envelope with $20s and more in it thick as an inch or more. Kinda made me mad as my dad gave her a lot of that in child support yet I was forced to get free school lunch and used clothes and hand me downs. She hoarded her money..or dad's. Then when she passed one of shit daughters and her husband took everything.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

People suck.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I experienced the most amazing thing at Walmart during lunch. This gentleman’s items were scanned and he was given the total. He looks apologetically back at me and starts taking handfuls of change out of his pockets. He miscounts and starts to get flustered. Gives me a muttered, “I’m so sorry.” His hands and voice are shaking. This beautiful cashier takes his hands and dumps all the change on the counter and says, “This is not a problem, honey. We will do this together.” All of a sudden, a tentacled horror bursts out of the geezer's chest, splattering gore and bone all over the cashier's face and apron. As the old man's mangled corpse slumps to the ground, the creature struggles to drag its slimy, squid-like body through the automatic doors as the other shoppers stare, mouths agape. A few of them are sobbing... a woman faints. Somewhere in the distance a young child shrieks. I calmly activate the intercom and say, "cleanup, lane six."

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Sudy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:21 pm
I experienced the most amazing thing at Walmart during lunch. This gentleman’s items were scanned and he was given the total. He looks apologetically back at me and starts taking handfuls of change out of his pockets. He miscounts and starts to get flustered. Gives me a muttered, “I’m so sorry.” His hands and voice are shaking. This beautiful cashier takes his hands and dumps all the change on the counter and says, “This is not a problem, honey. We will do this together.” All of a sudden, a tentacled horror bursts out of the geezer's chest, splattering gore and bone all over the cashier's face and apron. As the old man's mangled corpse slumps to the ground, the creature struggles to drag its slimy, squid-like body through the automatic doors as the other shoppers stare, mouths agape. A few of them are sobbing... a woman faints. Somewhere in the distance a young child shrieks. I calmly activate the intercom and say, "cleanup, lane six."
Well that's certainly.....random.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:39 pm Maybe. My granny would rather get run over than give me $5 back in the 80s. She'd give me $1 and tell me and my friend to go get us a hamburger. I never said anyways cause i knew she was old and not as well plus Im sure she actually thought I could get a couple burgers for a buck. Id just smile and say thanks mamaw and we'd go buy cigs instead :) That was in the early and mid 80s as teens.

One day when she went next door i checked her purse. She had a packed envelope with $20s and more in it thick as an inch or more. Kinda made me mad as my dad gave her a lot of that in child support yet I was forced to get free school lunch and used clothes and hand me downs. She hoarded her money..or dad's. Then when she passed one of shit daughters and her husband took everything.
We lived near my grandmothers cousin in my early days. Every time she would visit she would give me a dime for a comic book.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

If I unfriend a former co-worker for posting a photo of her newborn in a knit costume of A New Hope Leia wielding a RED lightsaber, morally I'm in the clear, right?

Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Its a trap. Babies are inherently evil.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And ugly and smelly.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another mind bender.....In the 1986 movie The Wraith both Charlie Sheen and Sherilyn Fenn are age 21 being born in 65. But the guy who plays Sheen's younger brother Jamie was born in 61 making him 25 and older than both of them lol. He actually did look younger. That bends my mind. But also Charlie and Sherilyn being just 21 does too. thought they were both about 25 lol.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Loved that movie.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:37 pm Loved that movie.
Yep seen it many times.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Interesting...but why not just have the app spit out GPS coordinates instead of the 3 random words? :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gilraen wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:42 pm Interesting...but why not just have the app spit out GPS coordinates instead of the 3 random words? :D
Thats what I was wondering the entire time.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gilraen wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:42 pm Interesting...but why not just have the app spit out GPS coordinates instead of the 3 random words? :D
It can do that, but it's easier to communicate 3 words than read out coordinates correctly.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How can it get warmer in the house and I get colder. Don't think I'm sick.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:56 pm How can it get warmer in the house and I get colder. Don't think I'm sick.
Is it colder outside the house? Are you near exterior walls or windows?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:56 pm How can it get warmer in the house and I get colder.
You are exothermic.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:12 am
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:56 pm How can it get warmer in the house and I get colder. Don't think I'm sick.
Yes to both.But I do have a thermometer right next to me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:17 am <snip invisible fire video>
Absolutely fascinating.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The "Broom Test": One Of The Stupidest Things That Ever Took Place At NASA
"Given those stakes, imagine the task of having to monitor liquid hydrogen as it flows through a few miles of pipeline—which is what NASA had to do in preparation for every Shuttle launch, when hundreds of thousands of gallons were transferred from a holding tank to the launch pad for fueling," NASA explained. "In the Apollo days, detecting a flame from one of those leaks was accomplished by using the 'broom' method, whereby workers would take a broom and walk around with the head stretched out in front of them. If the head began to burn, there was a leak."
Brian

Post by Brian »

Using the broom method while searching for high-pressure steam leaks onboard Navy ships: Old sailor tale or reality?
I know I heard the same stories when I was in the Navy.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why must Tik-Tok'rs use the worst ungodly sounding noise as their music in their clips??? Is it some written rule in the tik-tok tos??
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:29 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:12 am
Yes to both.But I do have a thermometer right next to me.
Right next to you likely isn't the issue. This is an oversimplification, but your body produces heat. When you're stationary, it heats the air immediately around you, sort of like sitting in a warm air bubble that you generate. It's part of why wind makes you cold (it blows away your bubble, although it also cools you directly) and why a coat or blanket keeps you warm (it creates a smaller bubble inside the covering that isn't directly touching the air.) You don't need to be right next to something cold for it to cool your body off - you just need your air bubble next to something cold. Your bubble touches the exterior walls and windows, which cools it off. That makes your body expel more heat to keep the 'bubble' warm. That makes you colder.

So it's the temperature of the air right next to you (the thermometer), yes. But it is also the surfaces/air within a few feet of you that your bubble is touching.

It's why 68 degrees in the house in the summer can feel warm, which 68 degrees in the winter can be cold.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

With my house if it gets down into the 20s for a week then suddenly goes to the 60s it will stay cold inside for 3 or 4 days unless I open the doors up. It can be colder inside than out and vice versa.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Sort of like wind chill. Anything that penetrates the "air bubble".
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949