General Computing Randomness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Re: General Computing Randomness

Post by Kasey Chang »

Those are low-range nowadays, but they are serviceable.

I guess it's always the perpetual questions... What games do you want to play, and what is your budget?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I haven't run into anything thus far that's unplayable, but I'm having some problems running, say, Red Dead 2. I can play it, I just have to turn the resolution waaaaay down. There's a few others that I'd like to speed up as well.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

GTX 1060 3GB has an approximate 3DMark of 3830. You can more than double that with a $160 GPU like AMD Radeon RX6500 XT (price on Amazon for PowerColor brand)

I don't think you can keep the RAM, MB or CPU. Modern CPUs are all DDR4 only, and most have stopped making DDR3 boards by now. Figure a new MB/CPU combo is going to cost you around $400, plus another $200 for RAM. You may as well buy new system with everything.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Yeah, I think I've narrowed it down to getting a new video card now, and then upgrading the rest around my birthday in August. I just found out that I bought my CPU/mobo 8 years ago, so I'm not surprised nothing supports it anymore.
Downwards Compatible
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Eel Snave wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:15 pm I haven't run into anything thus far that's unplayable, but I'm having some problems running, say, Red Dead 2. I can play it, I just have to turn the resolution waaaaay down. There's a few others that I'd like to speed up as well.
Here's another idea: treat yourself to a Steam Deck.

Realistically, sitting down for a session of traditional desktop PC gaming generally requires blocking out sufficient time free from distractions to do so. However, this is often more easily said than done when you have adult responsibilities. But the remarkable ease of getting into a game and suspending and resuming play with the Steam Deck is among its greatest aspects, which makes it so much easier to enjoy shorter gaming sessions whenever and wherever time allows. Suffice to say, the magic of playing your favourite PC games on the move is not to be underestimated. Retro arcade & console games are a blast to play, too. Also, you can easily output video and connect it with an external 4K monitor or TV via a simple dock. It functions as a surprisingly adequate desktop PC, too.

Anyway, courtesy of CryoByte33's performance boosts, Red Dead Redemption 2 plays rather nicely on the Steam Deck:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Eel Snave wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:47 pm Yeah, I think I've narrowed it down to getting a new video card now, and then upgrading the rest around my birthday in August. I just found out that I bought my CPU/mobo 8 years ago, so I'm not surprised nothing supports it anymore.
Radeon RX 6600 for the absolute value/performance sweet spot, or the RX 6800 for the best power efficiency per frame (if i remember correctly)
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:33 pm Here's another idea: treat yourself to a Steam Deck.
i *will* be getting one, but waiting for second gen for the battery and screen issues to be corrected.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I like the idea of a Steam Deck in theory, but I just plain prefer having my desktop computer here.
Downwards Compatible
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

A while back I said my hand seems to exude some oil that messes up rubber-type products, and it's affected the rubber ring Logitech put on the mousewheel on my G500s mouse. The ring's distended so much, my attempt to scroll ended up moving the rubber ring, not the wheel. I got so annoyed, I ripped the ring out. So I'm scrolling on bare metal. With a big groove in the middle... and it's fine. Doesn't quite feel like a wheel anymore, but at least it's not slipping.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Second worst mutant power ever.
:lol:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hrothgar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:10 pm Second worst mutant power ever.
:lol:
Well now I need to know... what's the worst mutant power ever? :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TheMix wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:31 pm Well now I need to know... what's the worst mutant power ever? :D
Magnetic colon.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:36 pm
TheMix wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:31 pm Well now I need to know... what's the worst mutant power ever? :D
Magnetic colon.
Detachable penis
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I, and most people, would go with Bailey Hoskins.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:40 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:36 pm
Magnetic colon.
Detachable penis
?! He said ‘worst’!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hrothgar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:41 pm I, and most people, would go with Bailey Hoskins.
I'll raise you J.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hrothgar wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:41 pm I, and most people, would go with Bailey Hoskins.
How does one even determine that that is one's power? :?:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LOL! Ok that IS the worst.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Today I discovered that the fancy charging cable that came with my Logitech Pro G Wireless mouse is, in fact, just a micro-USB cable with prongs to help with orientation. I further discovered that my magnetic charging cable attachments work perfectly with my mouse. I plugged in a short magnetic cable, and now just set the mouse down and 'click!' I just went from having to unplug the dongle, get the wire plugged in, charge it, unplug the mouse, and replug the dongle to almost instant charging.

It isn't a huge deal, obviously, but it feels like a win, dammit!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cool new laptops are coming. I set this video to start at 4:40 to show you two of them in a row. Very cool stuff.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Finally had to replace my five year old Logitech M510 mouse with another M510. The buttons on the old one were getting wonky. I did the usual "fingernail under the button and bend up" fixes over the past year, but I finally just got fed up with the issues. Since I used my computer every day I figure that it was time.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:34 pm Finally had to replace my five year old Logitech M510 mouse with another M510. The buttons on the old one were getting wonky. I did the usual "fingernail under the button and bend up" fixes over the past year, but I finally just got fed up with the issues. Since I used my computer every day I figure that it was time.
Logitechs seem to have a longevity problem. my MS Intellimouse Explorer lasted 15 years before the left mouse button switch started noticeably wearing out
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wow, I can't believe the difference with the new mouse. I was thinking that maybe I was just getting a bit too old to properly do a drag and drop or click and hold without ending up with a double click. Nope, it wasn't me :roll:, just the wonky mouse. It is making playing games like Door Kickers 2 so much better.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My laptop stopped doing Windows updates a few months ago. It was permanently stuck on searching for updates. Today I resolved to try to fix it, and spent a lot of time going down rabbit holes that led nowhere. Finally I realized when comparing it to my desktop machine that the laptop had never gotten the last major Windows release, 22H2. Installed that manually and all is well. I'm guessing it couldn't find updates after October because MS stopped releasing them for 22H1.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

One of the developers on our team just got a new laptop. I use the word "new" loosely - it basically just means our barely-competent Corp IT mailed her whatever Windows laptop they happened to fish out of the closet. Today while trying to run Windows updates, she got a message "Updates failed: Your version of Windows has reached the end of service." I asked her to look up what version she has - turned out to be 1909, which reached end of service in May 2021. I guess she should be happy they didn't ship her something with Windows 7.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gilraen wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:37 pm One of the developers on our team just got a new laptop. I use the word "new" loosely - it basically just means our barely-competent Corp IT mailed her whatever Windows laptop they happened to fish out of the closet. Today while trying to run Windows updates, she got a message "Updates failed: Your version of Windows has reached the end of service." I asked her to look up what version she has - turned out to be 1909, which reached end of service in May 2021. I guess she should be happy they didn't ship her something with Windows 7.
I dropped Enterprise when I was doing IT purchasing for me office precisely for that reason. We had a lab that insisted on keeping limited OEM frankenmachines together for many years on end. Corporate weren't happy with my decision but the idea of SaaS when you have a cheaper, better alternative makes no sense to me. I was attacked by corporate both for using and not using their licensing. I used Enterprise for Office because keeping old versions of Office made no sense and again, my lab guys wanted Office installed on every machine, meaning I had about 1.5 MS Office SaaS per employee.

So glad I don't do that stuff any more. What a headache needing and tracking but not controlling licensing.

Also, buying a laptop with no/a free OS and then putting your own Enterprise edition on it saves you almost nothing out of the gate before costing you substantially more over the course of three years.

Right after I railed on ...aaS and my flat out refusal to get an HP Printer because of their current Printer as a Service philosophy, my parents received one from one of my aunts for Christmas. So my mom is like, "at least I get free ink for six months and then I'll cancel and figure it out." Two days into her printing, HP send her warning they are going shut off her service or she needs to pay because she printer 110 pages on the first day. I assume they can't brick her printer but they don't make things completely clear.

Edit: Also I forgot, if you aren't using enterprise and are having a hard time running updates and don't want to use media creation tool to re-image then I've had great luck with update assistant.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I guess Windows 8.1 ended support this month. Somehow this went without all fanfare we usually hear. :lol:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifec ... windows-81
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just had a panic moment, when I dripped some soup on my keyboard. Immediately turned it off, turned it upside down, and pulled out my backup keyboard while I wait for this to dry. Now it's "kinda" working, but I need to clean it properly.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh yep, I've had several brilliant moments like those over the years. Always worse when it's a sugary drink that spills. I even went so far decades ago to use a custom fit membrane over one of my keyboard years ago.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I 'think' Ive only spilled 1 cola in 28 years. I used to put my membrane keyboards in the dishwater in the 90s and then hang them out on the clothes line in the sun. It wasn't super good at cleaning but it worked...never had one die. But Id never do it with newer and expensive KBs.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:32 am Just had a panic moment, when I dripped some soup on my keyboard. Immediately turned it off, turned it upside down, and pulled out my backup keyboard while I wait for this to dry. Now it's "kinda" working, but I need to clean it properly.
Crap, I did lose the B key. I'm on my backup keyboard at the moment, and I'll need to find my switch puller. This keyboard, which I got from from Kickstarter, was nice, being a 96% (compacted full-size keyboard, with numpad AND arrow keys and function keys), but it has some problems connecting. I actually ordered ANOTHER keyboard, without the RGB. It's only like $40 on Amazon, same layout. So I can transfer some of the keys over if I want to. I did get another set recently, the "stealth" keys, put out by Razer of all people. They are completely opaque when there's no backlight on, but shows the legends once you turn on the backlight. Should be interesting... THEN I'll get a few switches to fix that other keyboard.

EDIT: WTF?! The new keyboard arrived. I plugged it in... it's DOA. How can a regular USB keyboard be DOA? Yet my backup keyboard (71-key) plugs in and works immediately. Amazon promises to ship me another one ASAP (arriving Monday), but I can't return the bad one until Monday anyway. Simplest place to return one was at Amazon Go or Whole Foods, and closest Amazon Go is only open M-F.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thought Meal might enjoy this jaunt down memory lane.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember those days. Heck I didn't get a digital handheld camera until 2004 Christmas. I remember when handheld camcorders started using VHS tapes and were all the rage. The first hard drive I had to buy was either late 94 or early 95 and I was so happy that prices had dropped so much by then to like .50 cent a meg and I was able to replace my broken 210 meg wit ha Maxtor 500 meg for about $250 :)

I also used to wonder back in the old days why if laptops had such small sized hard drives why did I have to buy a bulky one for my PC.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I had a Sony Mavica (circa 1999), which was one of those digital cameras that used floppy drives.

I also was at a conference at SJSU when the IBM microdrive was announced. At the end of the presentation, the presenters were proud that the whole presentation was on one of their 1" microdrives, with shock specifications to match. I suggested from the audience that they drop the unit onto the floor to demonstrate the shock robustness. They declined (but the audience got a good chuckle out of it).

'98 - '00 I worked on SCSI enterprise units (15krpm!) for Western Digital. Site in Rochester, MN went belly-up so I took my skills to Maxtor in Colorado. During the 2004 holiday season the Seagate CEO announced they were purchasing Maxtor, not for its talent, but purely for its market share. I jumped ship over to a 1" drive manufacturer called Cornice. (Funny story, they couldn't call their units a hard disk drive because they used a non-standard non-ATA serial interface, so they had to market their units as "storage elements.") I was at Cornice for less than 12 months, but it was a very fruitful time. They goal of that little startup was to put a hard drive (well, storage element), into smart phones. We had a huge collaboration with Samsung, and as the shock and vibe guy I dropped a zillionty Samsung phones with those cute little drives in them proving out our robustness. (The rest of the phones, including the display and keyboards would be pulverized well before the things would stop accessing our data -- it was pretty awesome.)

Then I moved onto mobile drives (2.5" form factor) with WD again running off and on to 2017 before all their mechanical jobs leached out of Colorado. Those eleven years were really a lot of acting as a caretaker for (mostly) really robust technology. The heads/media folks had a few tricks up their sleaves which would work its way to the mechanical side of things (the dual-stage actuator on the read/write element was a pretty significant development in that time). From around 2014-2017 I had moved out of my functional shock and vibe expertise into actual mechanical development and parts ownership (I owned design of the the voice coil motor, inertial magnetic latch, injection molded ramp and other dynamics-heavy components).

But it was really my 11 months working on 1" drives in Cornice that "made" my career, in terms of what we were able to accomplish and my significant contributions to the process. If we'd have been three or four years earlier on the curve (relative to solid state CF memory), I do think we'd have made a much bigger impact on the consumer market.

Thanks for sharing the video!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:pop:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

modern video cards (the higher end ones, at least) are really big - so big they won't fit in many ATX 'full size' cases. you need one of the old school towers. good thing i had one sitting around (that was scheduled to get donated to a PC reseller/eWaste place nearby, but nope! it's my active PC case now)

also, modern video cards are quite power hungry - my 650W PSU was causing issues (and it's even a decent brand), so i'm going to try a higher grade one.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:37 pm modern video cards (the higher end ones, at least) are really big - so big they won't fit in many ATX 'full size' cases. you need one of the old school towers. good thing i had one sitting around (that was scheduled to get donated to a PC reseller/eWaste place nearby, but nope! it's my active PC case now)

also, modern video cards are quite power hungry - my 650W PSU was causing issues (and it's even a decent brand), so i'm going to try a higher grade one.
I can speak from experience that PSUs can have degraded performance over time.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I bought a TINY label printer on Temu. It's the SAME Niimbot D110 you can buy on Amazon for twice the price. I paid $20.38 and it came with 3 rolls of tiny tape labels. Right now, Amazon has it on special coupon so it's $20 with ONE roll of tape labels. Each roll is $12 on Amazon (!). So it basically came out as half price.

My Pixel 6, however, won't connect to it unless I reboot the phone. There's clearly a memory leak in the BT stack that require periodic full reboot.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:44 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:37 pm modern video cards (the higher end ones, at least) are really big - so big they won't fit in many ATX 'full size' cases. you need one of the old school towers. good thing i had one sitting around (that was scheduled to get donated to a PC reseller/eWaste place nearby, but nope! it's my active PC case now)

I can speak from experience that PSUs can have degraded performance over time.
Never even considered that. Crap. Guess I’ll definitely get a new one with my pending new video card then.

I remember reading on Tom’s many many moons ago that the ‘recommended’ PSU stats were mostly garbage, and as long as you got a decent brand that wasn’t fudging perf numbers, you could easily get away with buying a MUCH lower specc’d PSU (advice I followed, successfully for 10+ years)

I wonder if that’s still the case? I’m thinking probably not. But I remember the article was pretty technical, with tests on rails and essentially proving their case. Discrepancy between recommended vs ‘completely, totally fine’ was pretty large IIRC, like 600 recommended, and using a 350 PSU with plenty of headroom to spare.