YK's Classic Rock Music Project

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

disarm

Re: YK's Classic Rock Music Project

Post by disarm »

YellowKing wrote:31. Queensryche - Dedicated to Chaos (2011) - I knew going in this was going to be a TOUGH album to review, as I know zero about Queensryche outside of "Silent Lucidity." And this album, from what I've read, sounds really different from their other stuff. So how the heck do I judge it in comparison to all the albums of theirs I don't know?

The last album to feature Geoff Tate on lead vocals, all I can say is...it's OK I guess? It was certainly not the sound I was expecting from Queensryche going in, but I didn't necessarily hate it. I got the feeling, however, that I probably *would* hate it if I knew old Queensryche more. Like I don't even know the band, and I still felt like this is not representative of the band. There's kind of an upbeat quality to this album that tonally did not jibe with what I thought Queensryche was. And I'm assuming I'm probably right. I guess we'll see. The play numbers on Spotify for this album are pathetic, by the way.

Top track: "Get Started" Favorite track: "Get Started"
Do yourself a favor and just ignore anything Queensryche that isn't Operation: Mindcrime or Empire. Those two albums are so much different (and better) than anything after that the rest should just be forgotten. Personally, I enjoy Empire more, but Mindcrime is great as a complete concept album.

That said, I had the opportunity to see Queensryche live a few years ago, and Todd LaTorre's singing is impressive. While a lot of people would argue against anyone not Geoff Tate, LaTorre has one hell of a voice and can more than do justice to the classics. They put on a great show.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

36. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth (2012) - This is the final Van Halen studio album, and the first to bring back David Lee Roth after his departure. Perhaps because of Roth's return, the album was both a critical and commercial success.

I didn't find it particularly great song-wise, but I will say Eddie plays his ass off on this record. And perhaps that's why a lot of Van Halen fans really like it. It's always hard judging an album off one listen, there's certainly a chance it would grow on me with repeated listens.

Top track: N/A (Not on Spotify) Favorite track: "The Trouble With Never"

37. Foreigner - 4 (1981) - Some consider this Foreigner's best album, a true classic with five singles: "Urgent," "Waiting for a Girl Like You," "Juke Box Hero," "Break It Up," and "Luanne."

Really liked this one. Really good singles and the rest of the album leans more rock than ballad. Another one likely on the "to-buy" list.

Top track: "Waiting for a Girl Like You" Favorite track: "Waiting for a Girl Like You" (I had forgotten how awesome this song is)

38. KISS - Kiss (1974) - This is KISS's classic debut studio album, featuring three singles: "Nothin' to Lose," "Kissin' Time," and "Strutter." However, it had a slow start and didn't hit gold until 3 years later after the band had become much more known and had 4 more studio albums under their belt.

I enjoyed this one (as I do all KISS stuff at some level), but it feels almost quaint compared to some of their other albums. No heavy sexual innuendo here - it's all about "kissin'" and "love." I guess it's fun from a completionist's standpoint (and "Strutter" is a classic), but I definitely prefer their later albums where they had a little edge.

Top track: "Strutter" Favorite track: "Strutter"

39. The Rolling Stones - Aftermath (1966) - Classic early Stones record that had hits like "Paint It, Black" (easily one of my favorite Stones songs) and "Under My Thumb." The UK edition also had "Mother's Little Helper," but to make things simple for this project I've just been reviewing the most standard edition on Spotify, which is usually the US release.

I've always been a Beatles guy over the Rolling Stones, but I did enjoy this album quite a bit.

Top track: "Paint It, Black" Favorite track: "Paint It, Black"

40. Metallica - Ride the Lightning (1984) - Another album that probably needs no introduction, but one that I haven't actually listened to in years. As much as I say I like "old" Metallica, I'm not overly familiar with it like I am with the Black Album. And it's because typically I'd always gravitate towards a handful of favorite songs from that era vs listening to the entire album.

This album has a couple of those go-to tracks - "The Call of Ktulu" and "For Whom the Bell Tolls" have always been favorites of mine. However, I had forgotten how good "Fade to Black" is. This album hits so much damn harder than they're later stuff.

Top track: "For Whom the Bell Tolls" Favorite track: "For Whom the Bell Tolls"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Any plans for Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO) and The Guess Who?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Rumpy wrote:Any plans for Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO) and The Guess Who?
Yeah, if I ever get through this one I definitely plan to do a follow-up. I'll add those to the list.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

This thread is frustrating as I wait for you to get to some of my favorite albums. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote:I wore the grooves off of Get Your Wings and Toys in the Attic, but never bought any albums after that.

Steven Tyler is a local boy who regularly pops up in and around Boston. The 85-year-old owner of my local burrito shop proudly displays a framed picture of himself with Tyler, and there's a large sharpie autograph on the wall.
If you like early Aerosmith, you should check out Dirty Honey

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That certainly is Aerosmithy.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kraken wrote:That certainly is Aerosmithy.
My wife went to the high school where Aerosmith played their first live concert (Nipmuc, in Mendon, MA).
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I hate to change things mid-stream, but I realized 20 bands was a bit too sprawling for my tastes, and I should have kept it 10 bands at a time. It just keeps the range a bit narrower and prevents me from going 15 or 20 albums between bands.

So what I did was kept the 10 bands I had done the most albums for already, and moved the other 10 to Phase 2. So if you see some bands "missing" from the next batches, they were moved to Phase 2.

Plus I have some long term bands to ultimately make this a 100 band project, so chunking it in 10s keeps things a bit more organize for me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:24 pm Any plans for Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO) and The Guess Who?
Why pray tell??
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:33 am
Rumpy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:24 pm Any plans for Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO) and The Guess Who?
Why pray tell??
Why not? It's Classic Rock.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
The Meal

;)

Post by The Meal »

Canadian classic rock. We know, Rumpy.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

41. Foreigner - Unusual Heat (1991) - We go from a classic Foreigner album to their biggest failure. Johnny Edwards was brought on to replace frontman Lou Gramm, and would himself be replaced by Kelly Hansen for their 2009 release Can't Slow Down.
Two singles were released, "Lowdown and Dirty," and "I'll Fight for You," but neither charted. The album was a complete flop compared to their previous efforts.

This one falls squarely into the camp of what I thought Foreigner was before this project - a bunch of bland soft rock. While I'm happy that I was wrong and that they do have some decent releases, this album unfortunately represents the side of Foreigner I don't care much for.

Top track: "Lowdown and Dirty" Favorite track: "Lowdown and Dirty"

42. Foreigner - Can't Slow Down (2009) - Foreigner's last studio album (at least as far as we know). New lead singer Kelly Hansen features on this album. This one really sounds like it could have come out in the 80s or 90s, not changing the formula much from Foreigner's classic sound.

I'd put this one over Unusual Heat by quite a bit. And even though it doesn't have any memorable hits and sounds a bit by-the-numbers, I didn't hate it. Still unless something changes with their remaining albums, I'm not sure Foreigner's ever going to be a band I actively seek out (except for maybe Foreigner 4), but that's the point of this project. To find gems I missed and validate not having to worry about the albums I missed.

Top track: "When It Comes to Love" Favorite track: "Too Late"

43. Metallica - Load (1996) - Unlike Reload, which I had passed on, I did purchase Load when it came out in 1996. I clearly remember listening to it driving around college campus, and I also remember being pretty lukewarm on it. However, I felt going into this listen that this might be an album that deserved a fresh take. With the passage of time comes a different perspective, and like a lot of people at that time I was also caught up in the "anti-Metallica" conventional wisdom that I mentioned in the Reload review. Napster controversies, short hair, WTF was going on with this band?

And you know what, I was right. I had a blast with this re-listen. Now I totally admit much of my positivity might be chalked up to pure nostalgia. I instantly recognized these songs I hadn't heard in 25+ years and it brought a smile to my face. However, if you look at this not as a Metallica metal album, but as a 90s hard rock album, I think it kicks ass. It's got a tiny bit rougher edge than the radio friendliness of the Black Album, and it's got some great hooks. It's also a huge beast of an album, clocking in at nearly 80 minutes.

I'm going to defend this one. It's not a great '80s Metallica album, but it's a pretty good <insert 90s hard rock band> album.

Top track: "Until It Sleeps" Favorite track: "Until It Sleeps"

44. The Who - Who Are You (1978) - The Who's eighth studio album was a commercial success but a bit of a critical dud. Other than "Who Are You" which I was only familiar with through the CSI television show, none of this album did anything for me. Sorry, gang, I don't think this project is going to make me a Who fan despite my best attempts.

Top track: "Who Are You" Favorite track: "Who Are You"

45. Metallica - Kill 'Em All (1983) - Damn, listening to this debut album makes you realize how much Metallica slowed down over the years. Considered the first thrash metal album released in the US, I don't think the influence of this record can be overstated. I was actually much less familiar with this album than I was Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning, so it was a treat to go back and listen to it.

Top track: "Seek & Destroy" Favorite track: "Seek & Destroy"
Rumpy

Re: ;)

Post by Rumpy »

The Meal wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:04 am Canadian classic rock. We know, Rumpy.
Classic Rock all the same. Just like good music is good music.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:24 am
Why pray tell??
Also not very good rock. The Guess Who's most popular song was most popular because of Lenny Kravitz covering it. As for BTO...I suppose fledgling guitar students need something they can play by the end of their first lesson to give them confidence...
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I saw the Guess Who once. I can't remember why but I think I went grudgingly. They had some catchy pop songs but Top 40 hits were never my cuppa.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I used to have The Guess Who's Greatest Hits on cassette in college and listened to it all the time. I don't know much about them outside of those, but I loved that tape.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:44 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:24 am
Why pray tell??
Also not very good rock. The Guess Who's most popular song was most popular because of Lenny Kravitz covering it. As for BTO...I suppose fledgling guitar students need something they can play by the end of their first lesson to give them confidence...
Your opinion. And if you think that was their only popular song, you'd be wrong. But my intent was not to muck about YK's thread. Keep on rockin', YK.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JCC

Post by JCC »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:41 am 45. Metallica - Kill 'Em All (1983) - Damn, listening to this debut album makes you realize how much Metallica slowed down over the years. Considered the first thrash metal album released in the US, I don't think the influence of this record can be overstated. I was actually much less familiar with this album than I was Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning, so it was a treat to go back and listen to it.

Top track: "Seek & Destroy" Favorite track: "Seek & Destroy"
Kill 'Em All is fantastic. I go between this and Master Of Puppets as my favorite from them. (After that, I like songs more than any albums.) What baffles me about this album is the production is so much better than Ride The Lightning. RTL has some killer tracks, but it sounds like shit.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:53 pm Your opinion. And if you think that was their only popular song, you'd be wrong. But my intent was not to muck about YK's thread. Keep on rockin', YK.
It was in the US. Maybe they had others in Canada, which could explain your high opinion of them.

Fun fact though, the very first LP I owned was BTO's Greatest Hits. It was gifted to me by their publisher (Polygram) during a tour of their offices.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:50 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:53 pm Your opinion. And if you think that was their only popular song, you'd be wrong. But my intent was not to muck about YK's thread. Keep on rockin', YK.
It was in the US. Maybe they had others in Canada, which could explain your high opinion of them.

Fun fact though, the very first LP I owned was BTO's Greatest Hits. It was gifted to me by their publisher (Polygram) during a tour of their offices.
I'ma regret engaging but the idea the "American Woman" was the only popular song is off. It wasn't even my favorite of the radio play songs. That would be "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature". I also put "No Time" ahead of "AW". Locally, they also played "These Eyes" fairly frequently and occasionally "Laughing." That said, those 5/6 songs were the only ones. They have a few more songs I like, but none of them ever saw the radio that I am aware of. If they did, I was too young to remember.

Edit: A quick google search suggests they had 16 songs that charted in the top 50 in the US and I don't know a lot of them. 8 of them were from before I was born. I am :shock: that "No Sugar/New Mother Nature" wasn't one of them. Again, locally, while I was growing up, it got the most radio play and rightly so.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

OK, I kind of forgot those since they don't play them on the radio anymore. I still stand by my assertion that BTO has all the nuance and complexity you'd expect from novice guitar players learning their first chords.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:09 pm OK, I kind of forgot those since they don't play them on the radio anymore. I still stand by my assertion that BTO has all the nuance and complexity you'd expect from novice guitar players learning their first chords.
Only if they know how to take care of business.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

46. Foreigner - Foreigner (1977) - Being another early Foreigner, I suspected I might like this one and I was correct. Their debut album had three great singles: "Feels like the First Time" (I just realized that's Like a Virgin before Like a Virgin), "Cold as Ice," and "Long, Long Way from Home." However, there are other great tunes on here like "Starrider, "Woman Oh Woman," and "Fool for You Anyway."

Really liked this one, and could see it going on the buy list if I ever find it on the cheap. [Editor's note: my local record store literally advertised this in their used section on the cheap tonight. Going to grab it tomorrow if it's still available]

Top track: "Cold as Ice" Favorite track: "Starrider"

47. The Who - Face Dances (1981) - The Who's ninth studio album was another one that was commercially successful despite mediocre critical reception. This was The Who's first studio album after the death of Keith Moon, who was replaced by Kenney Jones.

After my string of disappointment with The Who's albums so far in this project, I was a bit taken aback that I didn't instantly dislike this album. It was particularly puzzling given there weren't even any recognizable songs on this album with the exception of "You Better You Bet" which I feel like I'd heard before. Was it that Roger Daltrey's nails-on-a-chalkboard voice was somehow growing on me? Not to the point of enjoyment, but maybe to the point of tolerance?

Or maybe I was just in a good mood because my boss gave me the afternoon off. Whatever the case, enjoy your only good review to date, The Who.

Top track: "You Better You Bet" Favorite track: "You Better You Bet"

48. Foreigner - Inside Information (1987) - <Looks under couch cushion> Oh, THERE'S the cheesy '80s Foreigner I misplaced earlier in this post! This album had four singles: "Say You Will," "I Don't Want to Live Without You," "Heart Turns to Stone," and "Can't Wait."

As much as I've kind of derided Foreigner for their soft rock vibes, damn if I wasn't getting into this one. I felt like I was in an extended Karate Kid montage, or playing slow-motion volleyball with a bunch of Air Force pilots. During "I Don't Want to Live Without You" I swear for a minute I slipped into a Hawaiian shirt and was making eyes at a lady over a cocktail in a smoke-filled lounge. I'm an '80s kid through and through, and this was bringing the feels SO HARD. To borrow from another soft rock classic, "I can't fight this feeling anymore." Dammit cheesy 80s Foreigner, I think I'm picking up what you're putting down!

Top track: "I Don't Want to Live Without You" Favorite track: "Say You Will"

49. Van Halen - Diver Down (1982) - For an early Van Halen album, this one was quite the disappointment. Half of the album consists of cover songs, and not very good ones IMO. I HATE the song "Dancing in the Street." I hate the original, I hate the Mamas and Papas version, I hate the Mick Jagger/David Bowie version, I hate this song, period. I don't know why, it just falls into my short list of songs I will immediately turn the radio station if it comes on. (If you're curious about my #1 most hated song of all time, it's "Old Time Rock n' Roll.") Other notable mentions: "Let's Hear It for the Boy," "Turn the Beat Around," and "Hey There Delilah." I don't use the term "hate" lightly when it comes to music because I like to stay positive. But these songs move beyond dislike, and into a range where I actually feel anger when I hear them. Again, I don't know why.

I don't really remember the originals off this album because I was so distracted by all the goofy covers. I've already stated I'm a David Lee Roth guy, but dammit he could get carried away with his cringey cover songs. Someone in the band should have sat down and had a long talk with him before this album. I mean "Happy Trails?" Really?

Top track: "(Oh) Pretty Woman" Favorite track: "Where Have All the Good Times Gone!" (yeah I know it's a cover, but I really like The Kinks)

50. Cheap Trick - Lap of Luxury (1988) - This was a comeback album of sorts after a string of commercial failures, and I hear this said so often of this band I wonder how the hell they're still considered a classic band. I guess it was out of sheer volume, as they do have a ton of albums.

At any rate, this album does feature one classic song, "The Flame," which was a big hit. Other notable singles were "Don't Be Cruel" (ugh, more covers), "Ghost Town," "Let Go," and "Never Had a Lot to Lose." As I was listening to this one, I was struggling to figure out why it didn't hit my 80s sweet spot in the same way Foreigner did.

I finally theorized it's because I hadn't been able to pin this band down in the same way I did Foreigner and Bad Company. After a few albums I feel like I have them generally figured out. But I've also listened to more of their albums at this point. So maybe my appreciation for Cheap Trick is just yet to come and requires more exposure. On the other hand, this album doesn't provide the same consistency as the previous Foreigner album - it's a bit all over the map in terms of song styles, so that could certainly be a factor.

Top track: "The Flame" Favorite track: "The Flame"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:35 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:09 pm OK, I kind of forgot those since they don't play them on the radio anymore. I still stand by my assertion that BTO has all the nuance and complexity you'd expect from novice guitar players learning their first chords.
Only if they know how to take care of business.
Most days, if not every day.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

See, everything is a matter of perspective, isn't it? The thing is, they most certainly did. And it's not just me. The entire Country holds them in high regard, consider them legends in their own right. Burton Cummings still has one of the best rock voices today, and Bachman had his own radio show up until a few years ago. Think of the cultural perspective. There are many who feel they should have been in the Hall of Fame long ago. So, Classic Rock? Hell yes.

Recently as of a few months ago, Randy Bachman had a guitar returned to him that was stolen and thought to have been lost for 40 years or so. It was the first guitar he started recording on.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:55 pm 49. Van Halen - Diver Down (1982) - For an early Van Halen album, this one was quite the disappointment. Half of the album consists of cover songs, and not very good ones IMO. I HATE the song "Dancing in the Street." I hate the original, I hate the Mamas and Papas version, I hate the Mick Jagger/David Bowie version, I hate this song, period. I don't know why, it just falls into my short list of songs I will immediately turn the radio station if it comes on. (If you're curious about my #1 most hated song of all time, it's "Old Time Rock n' Roll.") Other notable mentions: "Let's Hear It for the Boy," "Turn the Beat Around," and "Hey There Delilah." I don't use the term "hate" lightly when it comes to music because I like to stay positive. But these songs move beyond dislike, and into a range where I actually feel anger when I hear them. Again, I don't know why.

I don't really remember the originals off this album because I was so distracted by all the goofy covers. I've already stated I'm a David Lee Roth guy, but dammit he could get carried away with his cringey cover songs. Someone in the band should have sat down and had a long talk with him before this album. I mean "Happy Trails?" Really?

Top track: "(Oh) Pretty Woman" Favorite track: "Where Have All the Good Times Gone!" (yeah I know it's a cover, but I really like The Kinks)
Easily my least favorite DLR album (and would be my least favorite VH album altogether if it weren't for III). Still, there are some gems to be found. I agree that "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" is really good, plus you can't go wrong with "Little Guitars". I also find "(Oh) Pretty Woman" fascinating, especially in contrast to the original. Roy Orbison sings it as a sad sack who happens to get lucky, while DLR brings his typical arrogance to the proceedings. The lyrics are the same, but Orbison's version is a pleasant surprise ending while DLR's feels more inevitable. On the heels of the instrumental lead in "Intruder", which is the sonic equivalent of a dangerous man invading a woman's home, and it gives the song a sinister feel.
YellowKing wrote:50. Cheap Trick - Lap of Luxury (1988) - This was a comeback album of sorts after a string of commercial failures, and I hear this said so often of this band I wonder how the hell they're still considered a classic band. I guess it was out of sheer volume, as they do have a ton of albums.

At any rate, this album does feature one classic song, "The Flame," which was a big hit. Other notable singles were "Don't Be Cruel" (ugh, more covers), "Ghost Town," "Let Go," and "Never Had a Lot to Lose." As I was listening to this one, I was struggling to figure out why it didn't hit my 80s sweet spot in the same way Foreigner did.

I finally theorized it's because I hadn't been able to pin this band down in the same way I did Foreigner and Bad Company. After a few albums I feel like I have them generally figured out. But I've also listened to more of their albums at this point. So maybe my appreciation for Cheap Trick is just yet to come and requires more exposure. On the other hand, this album doesn't provide the same consistency as the previous Foreigner album - it's a bit all over the map in terms of song styles, so that could certainly be a factor.

Top track: "The Flame" Favorite track: "The Flame"
Cheap Trick really made their name with their first 5 albums (which includes At Budokan), all released pre-1980. After that they were inconsistent at best.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of quirky DLR covers, his cover of California Girls is just so... questionable. And the video has aged poorly. On the bright side, he did get Carl Wilson to do the backing vocals.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:15 pm
See, everything is a matter of perspective, isn't it? The thing is, they most certainly did. And it's not just me. The entire Country holds them in high regard, consider them legends in their own right. Burton Cummings still has one of the best rock voices today, and Bachman had his own radio show up until a few years ago. Think of the cultural perspective. There are many who feel they should have been in the Hall of Fame long ago. So, Classic Rock? Hell yes.

Recently as of a few months ago, Randy Bachman had a guitar returned to him that was stolen and thought to have been lost for 40 years or so. It was the first guitar he started recording on.
All three strings still intact? :D

I did like Burton Cummings but I honestly haven't heard anything from him since the late 70's. I'm rather surprised he's still alive.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Me too, actually! He's one of those guys that take good care of their vocal chords. I don't think he drinks, and his voice still sounds like it did way back when. Saw them both in concert several years ago, and the guy can belt out a tune like the best of them. I consider him to be rather underrated.

And yeah, apparently Bachman's guitar was still in great shape. I think what happened was that another musician had tracked it down, and he was reunited with it not too long ago.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

The Pop Group - Y (1979)
This album is not like anything else I’ve heard. It’s punk, it’s post punk, it’s dub, it’s jazz. If I had to describe it in a word though, it’s confrontational. One thing it’s not is Pop. I heard about the Pop Group a few years ago when I read a book on post punk and have heard a couple of songs. I found out that Mark Stewart got his start in The Pop Group. I saw Mark Stewart and the Mafia open for Tackhead around 1986 and was impressed by his energy. I ended up getting his album “As the Veneer of Democracy Starts to Fade” (which is great, also confrontational, but great).

Their debut album, Y is an interesting listen because it is unlike anything I have heard before. You can tell that the rhythm section can lay down a funky groove and with their political bent they could have been pretty similar to Gang Of Four possibly. But the beat will drop out or change suddenly or get jazzy. Stewart as the vocalist is angry. He’s very hard to understand but the anger is real. The guitars add slabs of noise and there is some saxophone on a few songs. This said there are some good songs here. “She is Beyond Good and Evil”, “We are Time” and “Don’t Call Me Pain” are highlights.
Favorite track- We are Time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Dramatist wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:19 pm The Pop Group - Y (1979)
This album is not like anything else I’ve heard. It’s punk, it’s post punk, it’s dub, it’s jazz. If I had to describe it in a word though, it’s confrontational. One thing it’s not is Pop. I heard about the Pop Group a few years ago when I read a book on post punk and have heard a couple of songs. I found out that Mark Stewart got his start in The Pop Group. I saw Mark Stewart and the Mafia open for Tackhead around 1986 and was impressed by his energy. I ended up getting his album “As the Veneer of Democracy Starts to Fade” (which is great, also confrontational, but great).

Their debut album, Y is an interesting listen because it is unlike anything I have heard before. You can tell that the rhythm section can lay down a funky groove and with their political bent they could have been pretty similar to Gang Of Four possibly. But the beat will drop out or change suddenly or get jazzy. Stewart as the vocalist is angry. He’s very hard to understand but the anger is real. The guitars add slabs of noise and there is some saxophone on a few songs. This said there are some good songs here. “She is Beyond Good and Evil”, “We are Time” and “Don’t Call Me Pain” are highlights.

Mark Stewart's _The Politics of Envy_ (and the dub mixes _Exorcism of Envy_) is soooooo good. practically my 'perfect' album, in terms of sound. great guest artist and musician roster (Kenneth Anger, Richard Hell, Primal Scream, Tessa and Gina from The Slits, Lee 'Scratch' Perry, Keith Levine, Penny Rimbaud, Daddy G of Massive Attack, Nik Void - and great production, as usual, from Youth)

there are a few 'singles' from his earlier solo albums i listen to over and over (note: requires subwoofer)

Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Dramatist wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:19 pm The Pop Group - Y (1979)

Mark Stewart's _The Politics of Envy_ (and the dub mixes _Exorcism of Envy_) is soooooo good. practically my 'perfect' album, in terms of sound. great guest artist and musician roster (Kenneth Anger, Richard Hell, Primal Scream, Tessa and Gina from The Slits, Lee 'Scratch' Perry, Keith Levine, Penny Rimbaud, Daddy G of Massive Attack, Nik Void - and great production, as usual, from Youth)

there are a few 'singles' from his earlier solo albums i listen to over and over (note: requires subwoofer)

I’m going to have to check these out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:36 pm 36. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth (2012) - This is the final Van Halen studio album, and the first to bring back David Lee Roth after his departure. Perhaps because of Roth's return, the album was both a critical and commercial success.

I didn't find it particularly great song-wise, but I will say Eddie plays his ass off on this record. And perhaps that's why a lot of Van Halen fans really like it. It's always hard judging an album off one listen, there's certainly a chance it would grow on me with repeated listens.

Top track: N/A (Not on Spotify) Favorite track: "The Trouble With Never"
My favorite on this is "Stay Frosty" - hilarious lyrics with an update on the Ice Cream Man/Bolero song style. One of my favorite VH songs, period (also, I agree with you that 5150 is one of their best albums- that whole thing rocks).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

51. Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986) - Another one I'm not sure I'm going to be able to add much to. This third studio album is an all-time classic and considered by some critics as Metallica's best album. I usually consider this my second favorite of Metallica's four '80s albums only because ...And Justice For All has "One" which is easily my favorite Metallica track of all time. I'll take it all day long over Ride the Lightning and Kill 'Em All though.

At any rate, this is a relentless album that never lets up through its eight excellent tracks.

Top track: "Master of Puppets" Favorite track: "Master of Puppets"

52. Van Halen - Balance (1995) - We jump ahead now to Sammy Hagar's last Van Halen album. Despite four singles: "Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do)," "Can't Stop Lovin' You," "Amsterdam," and "Not Enough," the album was kind of middling both in critical reception and on the charts.

I'd have to say for more personally it was kind of middling as well. I didn't dislike it, but nothing stood out and it just kind of faded into the background. It does have a bit of a darker tone than most Van Halen albums, maybe a reflection of the turmoil the band was going through at the time of the recording. Maybe that's why I liked the more upbeat stylings of "Amsterdam," though I did quite enjoy the instrumental "Baluchitherium" as well.

Top track: "Can't Stop Lovin' You" Favorite track: "Amsterdam"

53. Van Halen - Fair Warning (1981) - A commercial disappointment for the David Lee Roth era, but critically well-received. One review I read on the Wiki stood out: "...a dark, dirty, nasty piece of work." And indeed it is. However, I think there's a decent amount to like here. This is a much harder-sounding album than other Van Halen records of this era. And there's very little of David Lee Roth's signature goofiness here - this is Van Halen without a sense of humor. I'm guessing that's part of the reason for the commercial failure, but in retrospect it's kind of a neat outlier to their discography. I kind of liked the rough edges of this one. Definitely not going up there with my top-ranked of their library, but it was an entertaining listen.

Top track: "Unchained" Favorite track: "Unchained"

54. Cheap Trick - Rockford (2006) - Going into this one I was fully prepared to dismiss it, but it surprised me. I wouldn't say I was blown away by it by any means, but it's an *interesting* album filled with all sorts of varied Beatles-y stuff going on. And as a huge Beatles fan, my ears instantly perk up anytime I hear a Beatles harmony, chord change, or other studio trick. This album was critically well received and viewed as a comeback album. I'm not so sure they ever *actually* came back, but hey good for them in putting out a good record past their prime. I'd be willing to give this one another listen down the line to see if it grows on me. It's super poppy.

Also, how the hell is 2006 almost 20 years ago now? I keep running across these albums from the early 2000s and thinking "modern album." It's not freaking modern anymore! I've been listening to so many "classic rock" albums that Spotify created a "Dad Rock" playlist for me today. Wonderful.

Top track: "O Claire" Favorite track: "O Claire"

55. The Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang (2005) - The last of the Stones' original material albums, which is a bit hard to believe. The album was both a critical and commercial success, and spawned an extremely successful tour documented by Martin Scorcese in his film "Shine a Light." Also the last album of original material to feature Charlie Watts before his passing.

I really liked this one. At times definitely has the classic Stones sound, and the songs are by and large energetic and entertaining. Big thumbs up from me.

Top track: "Streets of Love" Favorite track: "Streets of Love"
JCC

Post by JCC »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:27 pm 51. Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986) -
My favorite songs from Metallica are on this album, but I think I prefer Kill 'Em All since I think MoP has some filler on it. ...And Justice for All just sounds so sterile to me. I don't know if it's missing something (for me) because of the absence of Cliff Burton or because (I believe) they had to wait a long time for studio time so they had played these songs to death or what. It does still have some killer songs, but I feel like it's a bit heartless... or maybe souless would be a better word. (shrugs)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:27 pm
54. Cheap Trick - Rockford (2006) - Going into this one I was fully prepared to dismiss it, but it surprised me. I wouldn't say I was blown away by it by any means, but it's an *interesting* album filled with all sorts of varied Beatles-y stuff going on.
One of the times I saw them, they did a Beatles song in their encores.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:27 pm 52. Van Halen - Balance (1995)
53. Van Halen - Fair Warning (1981)
I consider these almost complementary albums from the Hagar and DLR eras, respectively. They're probably the darkest of their eras. I know it's not a popular opinion, but Balance may be my favorite Hagar album, and I'm sure that Fair Warning is my favorite DLR album.
YellowKing wrote: 55. The Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang (2005)
My theory on "modern" Rolling Stones (i.e., anything from Steel Wheels on) is that they are all competent but unremarkable rock and roll albums. They tend to get rave reviews (especially from Rolling Stone, magazine version), but they have no staying power and fall from the consciousness pretty quickly.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I had a dream the other night about the Rolling Stones (I stopped listening to them after Mick Taylor left the group). In the dream I was somehow the MC for a Stones concert at the Hollywood Bowl, and I was working to pump up the crowd for the performance. Unfortunately I woke up before they started playing.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The worst kind of dreams are the ones where you don't get any resolution and leave you wanting. :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti