Racism in America (with data)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Victoria Raverna

Re: Racism in America (with data)

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:05 pm I think it is likely that he was so convinced that his point of view was valid that if he simply explained it to others, they'd understand and agree.
If he is not white, do you think he'll get fired, too?

What if a Chinese teacher said that deep down he think his race is superior? What if a black teacher said that?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm pretty sure they'd be fired.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Forget it, Jake. It's Mississippi.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

New allegations surface that FBI paid violent felon to infiltrate George Floyd protesters in Colorado. This is straight out of the Hoover playbook.
The FBI worked to undermine racial justice protests and other actions in Denver in 2020, a new podcast alleges.

"Alphabet Boys," a 10-episode documentary podcast from Western Sound and iHeartPodcasts, debuted Tuesday and details efforts from the FBI to infiltrate and undermine the racial justice movement following the police killing of George Floyd.

The podcast is based on hours of secret FBI undercover recordings regarding a paid informant who allegedly encouraged violence and destruction and attempted to set up unsuspecting activists in crimes.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:14 pm New allegations surface that FBI paid violent felon to infiltrate George Floyd protesters in Colorado. This is straight out of the Hoover playbook.
And straight out of every other secret police playbook since the late 18th century.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scott Adams continues his campaign for Grand Wizard.

I knew something was amiss when Dilbert started wearing a white hood and robe in his comic.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

What a fall for Scott Adams. I read several of his books back in the day, and thoroughly enjoyed them. It’s stunning to see the type of hate he casually talks about now.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Scott Adams is calculating here. He's aiming to get "cancelled" because "being cancelled" is a swift route to right-wing media martyrdom, attention, and ongoing grift. (Also, it probably sucks to have to make lame Dilbert cartoons every day for decades.)

It's even clearer when you look into what he's talking about. His whole spiel is based on the idea that, in an already-spotty Rasmussen poll, only half of black respondents agreed to or endorsed the statement "It's OK to be white." From this he concludes that black Americans (all of them) are a hate group and that the response by white people (all of them) should be to move out of mixed-race areas and refuse any government efforts to assist minority populations in any way. If you think this summary sounds extreme, watch the video. It's even worse.

Adams is willfully ignoring the fact that "It's OK to be white" is a very well-known white-supremacist slogan, basically a shorthand version of the 14 Words, so of course those in the know (and black Americans are very aware of the need to be in the know) are going to reject it. A clearer, less biased, and less Rasmussen question such as "Blacks and whites are capable of getting along" would have produced an entirely different answer.

tl;dr This whole episode is performative drama by racist Dilbert. He can fuck all the way off.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The best part is when he keeps saying he’s through with helping Black America. When I think of people who have helped with the Civil Rights movement in this country, I immediately think of Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr. and the guy who writes Dilbert.
Covfefe!
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Holman wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:42 pm Scott Adams is calculating here. He's aiming to get "cancelled" because "being cancelled" is a swift route to right-wing media martyrdom, attention, and ongoing grift. (Also, it probably sucks to have to make lame Dilbert cartoons every day for decades.)

It's even clearer when you look into what he's talking about. His whole spiel is based on the idea that, in an already-spotty Rasmussen poll, only half of black respondents agreed to or endorsed the statement "It's OK to be white." From this he concludes that black Americans (all of them) are a hate group and that the response by white people (all of them) should be to move out of mixed-race areas and refuse any government efforts to assist minority populations in any way. If you think this summary sounds extreme, watch the video. It's even worse.

Adams is willfully ignoring the fact that "It's OK to be white" is a very well-known white-supremacist slogan, basically a shorthand version of the 14 Words, so of course those in the know (and black Americans are very aware of the need to be in the know) are going to reject it. A clearer, less biased, and less Rasmussen question such as "Blacks and whites are capable of getting along" would have produced an entirely different answer.

tl;dr This whole episode is performative drama by racist Dilbert. He can fuck all the way off.
It’s a big case of “I’m not racist but…” isn’t it?

I agree this has to be a play to an extent although he has been a trump supporter from the start. He’s going for a new audience and a path to “relevancy”. Who was talking about him before this?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:42 pm Scott Adams is calculating here. He's aiming to get "cancelled" because "being cancelled" is a swift route to right-wing media martyrdom, attention, and ongoing grift. (Also, it probably sucks to have to make lame Dilbert cartoons every day for decades.)

Does getting direct engagement from Elon "I'm just asking questions" Musk on the platform he owns count?

"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Tesla board needs to figure out a way to force him out if they can. He is going to kill the brand. The guy is trending towards extremely toxic at a breathtaking pace. At least it is finally looking like it will be out in the open what a piece of absolute shit he is. We suspected it but nothing better than opening your mouth and letting us know.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I will be in the market for an EV in the near future and it sure as hell isn't going to be a tesla.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:48 am I will be in the market for an EV in the near future and it sure as hell isn't going to be a tesla.
My wife is very pleased with her Ioniq 5. And Hyundai should now be child labor free too!
https://www.carscoops.com/2023/02/hyund ... r-scandal/
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks. I've barely started to research, but I appreciate a starting point.

I have some anti-Hyundai prejudice left over for when they first started up. I fully admit that was decades ago and I have no knowledge of their quality these days.

Anyway, back to racism! Something, something Koreans!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote:The Tesla board needs to figure out a way to force him out if they can. He is going to kill the brand. The guy is trending towards extremely toxic at a breathtaking pace. At least it is finally looking like it will be out in the open what a piece of absolute shit he is. We suspected it but nothing better than opening your mouth and letting us know.
The danger here is that, because the stock PE ratio is so much more like an internet company than a car/ solar company, the PR from a move like that could also tank the stock. Like it or not, they still can't take the risk one way or another, and also, the stock has rallied back to almost pre-twitter levels.

In other words, as of now, there is zero reason for the board to think they have to get rid of him any more than his pre-twitter acquisition tweets were a risk driving that discussion.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:50 pm
malchior wrote:The Tesla board needs to figure out a way to force him out if they can. He is going to kill the brand. The guy is trending towards extremely toxic at a breathtaking pace. At least it is finally looking like it will be out in the open what a piece of absolute shit he is. We suspected it but nothing better than opening your mouth and letting us know.
The danger here is that, because the stock PE ratio is so much more like an internet company than a car/ solar company, the PR from a move like that could also tank the stock. Like it or not, they still can't take the risk one way or another, and also, the stock has rallied back to almost pre-twitter levels.
The PR move from ignoring he is a red pill racist is pretty steep too. I'm not suggesting the Board has an easy problem here. He has a lot of votes/influence/boosters still. I'm suggesting they need to start figuring it out because the time is coming.
In other words, as of now, there is zero reason for the board to think they have to get rid of him any more than his pre-twitter acquisition tweets were a risk driving that discussion.
They absolutely have reason. They just don't have enough evidence to support it...yet. He is a part-time CEO who is picking fights that make him appear to have serious problems. Maybe a drug issue even. This has been steadily getting worse and he had issues pre-Twitter. It's now spiraling out of control. I believe it will come to a head in the next year or two. Either they fire Musk or the public may fire Tesla.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

As is usually the case in such matters, Scott Adams disproves his claim of being silenced by the simple fact of the entire world being able to hear him complain about how he is being silenced.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rapid demise of ‘Dilbert’ is no surprise to those watching
The comic strip “Dilbert” disappeared with lightning speed following racist remarks by creator Scott Adams, but it shouldn’t come as a shock to anyone who has followed them both.

Adams, who is white, was an outspoken presence on social media long before describing Black people as a “hate group” on YouTube and, to some, “Dilbert” had strayed from its roots as a chronicler of office culture.

The editor of the San Francisco Chronicle, which dumped “Dilbert” last year, said the comic strip “went from being hilarious to being hurtful and mean.” The Los Angeles Times, which joined dozens of other newspapers in dropping the comic following last week’s remarks, had quietly replaced four of Adams’ strips last year.

“He kind of ran out of office jokes and started integrating all this other stuff so after a while, it became hard to distinguish between Scott Adams and ‘Dilbert,’” said Mike Peterson, columnist for the industry blog The Daily Cartoonist.

As individual newspapers told readers they were dropping “Dilbert,” the company that distributed the strip, Andrews McMeel Universal, said it was severing ties with Adams. By Monday, “Dilbert” was gone from the GoComics site, which also features many top comics such as “Peanuts” and “Calvin and Hobbes.”

Adams said Monday that the strip, which first appeared in 1989, will only be available on his subscription service on the Locals platform.

“Dilbert” is effectively dead, Peterson said.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

I read that earlier. Might as well start preparing a similar piece about Elon Musk. He is acting the same way right now. Even going so far as claiming the media is biased against white people.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Real estate inequity continues...

Tenisha Tate-Austin and Paul Austin's house was valued in 2020 at nearly $1m (£845,000) - much less than expected.

They asked for an appraisal with another firm - this time with a white friend posing as the California home's owner. It was valued at nearly $1.5m.

But when they decided to refinance again in 2020 to take advantage of low rates, they were appraised for just $995,000.

So they came up with an experiment. What if their friend, a white woman, posed as the homeowner instead?

They removed all trace of themselves from their home, including their African-themed artwork and their photographs.

The process is known as "white-washing", and black homeowners across the country have reported doing it in order to sell their properties.

Several weeks after their first estimate, a different appraiser toured the house for the decoy white homeowner.

This time, it was appraised at $1,482,500 - almost half a million dollars more than the initial estimate, according to the lawsuit.

"I mean, it's the financial impact, but it's the emotional impact. It's the feeling every day like, the tax of being African-American in this country, like you don't know, it's a coin toss."

The lawsuit was settled on Wednesday for an undisclosed amount.

As part of the agreement, the defendants do not have to admit any liability in the case, but will have to watch a documentary about discriminatory real estate and attend a training session on the history of racial discrimination in real estate.

Slap on the wrist. They should be named so people know not not use them.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is so aggravating. It is a outright loud wink and nod. "Yep you caught me. Let me off the hook for money". They should be named, shamed, and potentially de-licensed.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Some people are incredibly stupid:

Why would you even post this or share it with anyone?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Oklahoma has problems...
GOP officials from McCurtain County, Okla. are being investigated by the FBI after they were caught on tape expressing their frustration about it not being socially acceptable beat up and hang Black people, as well as their desires to hire hit men to kill newspaper reporters....

...Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt (R) has called for the resignation of McCurtain County Sheriff Kevin Clardy (R), District 2 Commissioner Mark Jennings (R), Investigator Alicia Manning and Jail Administrator Larry Hendrix for their comments in the meeting. District 3 Commissioner Robert Beck (R) is also cited in the audio.

The transcript suggests that the group first started discussing a recent fire which killed a woman and her two dogs. The group joked about the woman’s body parts falling off her body, and that it is similar to eating barbecue.

“So we get her in the body bag and Kyler goes, ‘You do know what we gotta do right?’ Faith goes, ‘No, what?’ He goes, ‘You gotta pre-heat the oven 350 degrees, leave her in there for 15 minutes,’” said Clardy.

Later in the transcript, Jennings and Clardy had a racist exchange and went back and forth about society making it unacceptable to lynch Black people.

“I’m gonna tell you something. If it was back in the day, when that when Alan Marshton would take a damn Black guy and whoop their ass and throw him in the cell? I’d run for f—ing sheriff,” Jennings said.

After Clardy said things aren’t like that anymore, Jennings continued.

“I know. Take them down to Mud Creek and hang them up with a damn rope.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Mackenzie Hayes was an employee of the second judicial circuit of Florida, working for Jack Campbell’s State Attorney’s Office (SAO) as a prosecutor. Mackenzie tells her story and shocking details of racism in the second judicial circuits office with Our Tallahassee, including a memo that directs staff to offer harsher penalties for Hispanic people.
This culture wasn’t limited to just one staff member or one case. Hayes says that fellow attorneys in the Jefferson County office all appeared to embrace this culture. Hayes says she took this picture one day while alone in the office.

https://ourtallahassee.com/florida-pros ... cy-leaked/
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:49 pm Oklahoma has problems...
GOP officials from McCurtain County, Okla. are being investigated by the FBI after they were caught on tape expressing their frustration about it not being socially acceptable beat up and hang Black people, as well as their desires to hire hit men to kill newspaper reporters....

...Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt (R) has called for the resignation of McCurtain County Sheriff Kevin Clardy (R), District 2 Commissioner Mark Jennings (R), Investigator Alicia Manning and Jail Administrator Larry Hendrix for their comments in the meeting. District 3 Commissioner Robert Beck (R) is also cited in the audio.

The transcript suggests that the group first started discussing a recent fire which killed a woman and her two dogs. The group joked about the woman’s body parts falling off her body, and that it is similar to eating barbecue.

“So we get her in the body bag and Kyler goes, ‘You do know what we gotta do right?’ Faith goes, ‘No, what?’ He goes, ‘You gotta pre-heat the oven 350 degrees, leave her in there for 15 minutes,’” said Clardy.

Later in the transcript, Jennings and Clardy had a racist exchange and went back and forth about society making it unacceptable to lynch Black people.

“I’m gonna tell you something. If it was back in the day, when that when Alan Marshton would take a damn Black guy and whoop their ass and throw him in the cell? I’d run for f—ing sheriff,” Jennings said.

After Clardy said things aren’t like that anymore, Jennings continued.

“I know. Take them down to Mud Creek and hang them up with a damn rope.
In their defense, they didn’t think anyone was listening.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

C'mon - that's just locker-room talk.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Keepin' it classy as usual.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It must have been tough for him to not post a clapping emoji.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:12 pm 3 officers found guilty on federal charges in George Floyd’s killing
The former officers, J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao, all were convicted of depriving Floyd of his civil rights while acting under government authority when they failed to give him medical aid. Kueng and Thao, additionally, were convicted of not intervening to stop their fellow officer Derek Chauvin from using excessive force.

Thao, Kueng and Lane each face up to life in prison, although such a severe punishment is unlikely. The men are scheduled for trial in June on state charges of aiding and abetting murder and manslaughter.
Ex-officer Thao convicted of aiding George Floyd’s killing
A former Minneapolis police officer who held back bystanders while his colleagues restrained a dying George Floyd has been convicted of aiding and abetting manslaughter.

Tou Thao, who already had been convicted in federal court of violating Floyd’s civil rights, was last of the four former officers facing judgment in state court in Floyd’s killing. He rejected a plea agreement and, instead of going to trial, let Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill decide the verdict based on written filings by each side and evidence presented in previous cases.
The judge ordered a presentence investigation and set Aug. 7 as the sentencing date. Minnesota sentencing guidelines recommend four years on the manslaughter count. He will serve his state term concurrent with his 3 1/2-year federal sentence.

The agreement between the prosecution and defense specified that if the judge convicted Thao of aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter, the state would drop a more serious aiding and abetting second-degree murder count with a presumptive sentence of 12 1/2 years.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

DeSantis doubles down whenever he meets resistance/sees his support dwindling. I suspect he's going to flame out in a spectacular ball of fire at some point.

...I'll get the marshmallows and graham crackers ready.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And I will bring Hershey's chocolate bars - and together we can make S'mores.
:D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Scholastic backpedals furiously after trying to get a POC author to erase racism from her book in order to publish it for schools.

Maggie Tokuda-Hall wrote a book about how her grandparents met in an internment camp in the US in WW2 for the Nisei, Japanese Americans. It's called "Love in the Library". While it met glowing reviews, sales were modest. So she was thrilled when she received an offer from Scholastic, the largest publisher of educational books in the US. However, she quickly realized it came with a huge string: Scholastic wanted her to delete references to racism in her author's note, where she addressed the readers directly. Instead of kowtowing, she turned down Scholastic very publicly, and it drew a firestorm. Scholastic, to its credit, offered to drop that string completely, and publish the book as is, but Tokuda-Hall was still not convinced.

Many authors who consulted for Scholastic lambasted the company for "pre-emptively censoring" their Asian American collection which would have included about 150 books by or about Asian Americans. At least one anonymous author have confirmed that their book, included in this collection, has been changed based on a request by Scholastic. Scholastic has chosen to delay the entire series launch to re-examine their editorial process.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

malchior wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:55 am (Florida Senate wants to ban DACA attorneys, but not until 2028)
How many of them are there in Florida and on the state bar to start with... that are NOT naturalized?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:37 pm
malchior wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:55 am (Florida Senate wants to ban DACA attorneys, but not until 2028)
How many of them are there in Florida and on the state bar to start with... that are NOT naturalized?
This is not the right question.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

malchior wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:43 pm
I know that, but I'm trying to figure out how many people would this even affect.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kasey Chang wrote:
malchior wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:43 pm
I know that, but I'm trying to figure out how many people would this even affect.
Everyone who needs asylum from Florida?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk