A good fantasy RPG to play?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: A good fantasy RPG to play?

Post by Daehawk »

I posted real time with pause even though I dont pause MUCH is because there seems to be no real time fully and I dont mind real time having a pause feature. Its turn based I dont like at all.
Divine Divinity is old but it was fun.

Are the Divinity: Original Sin's out of the question?
The very original one I loved and finished. Not liked them since. I have tried OS about 6 times and I dont get all that far before deleting. They dont grab me though others like them and not the original.
I'm not sure why anyone responds to your recommendation threads anymore. We all know how they will end up.
Geez Ale thanks for your multitude of helpful posts in here...oh no wait this is your only one and its snarky. Typical Ale...see we can all be called on supposed facts.

....Can a mod simply lock this thread. Its mostly not on topic or going anywhere but to hell fast.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

rittchard wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:34 pm This is related but kind of a side question. Has there ever been another game that did combat like Dragon Age: Origins? Party-based, real-time, pausable, but also you could choose to just let the AI control the rest of the party with different priorities or whatever? I really loved this - I played it on easier difficulty and basically never paused, so it was more like an action-RPG feel. But also kind of like a MMORPG feel with a party of NPCs instead of humans. I liked that I could set Alastair to tank, and I think there was an archer chick or something doing ranged, and then I would focus on healing and CC and damage as needed.
Pretty much the Mass Effect games, right? For fantasy theme, I'm not sure. Dragon's Dogma had 3rd person and you had an AI companion (someone from your Steam friend's list) that could join you - and it was awesome. But not quite the same as DA:O. The new Baldur's Gate might be it...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We aren't telling you that you're wrong. We're telling you that you're looking for something that is impossible because your request directly contradicted itself. You're wanting a cheeseburger, but with no cheese and no burger, and hold the condiments, and maybe add some chicken. We weren't telling you that your desires were wrong - we're telling you that your desire is for something called a 'chicken sandwich' rather than for a cheeseburger, and that you'll have better luck looking for those.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, Dragon's Dogma was a fun game with some unique features. Almost suggested it. I'm surprised they haven't made a sequel yet.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Have you played Icewind Dale? I like it because you can re-roll your stats, and can set up a multiplayer game where you create the whole party. The combat is just like BG. Plus if you're demented like me, you can get a few good items, pass them to each character in turn, then export your characters. Start a new game and import those characters. Rinse and repeat for massive twinkage.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Dragon's Dogma is a pretty good suggestion.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker feels like a good suggestion. Real time with pause, party based but character building can be more about what seems fun if you aren't playing on a higher difficulty. There is a normal amount of reading but it didn't feel excessive. Plus it feels sort of like BG and BG2 with interactions with multiple possible party members and RTwP.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Adding some love for Tower of Time.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jolor wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:49 pm Adding some love for Tower of Time.
Holy crap! On sale for 90% off through 2/6/23 - just $2.49!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:17 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:00 pm According to the internet, Baldur's Gate 2(Enhanced) has 1.65+ million lines of text.
That would be somewhere around 16.5 million words, and about five times bigger than the longest single novel ever written. I believe that's the word count rather than lines of text (and it comes with caveats*.) For comparison, all of Harry Potter is 1.08 million, A Song of Ice and Fire (IE - Game of Thrones) is about 1.77 million, and I'm about 2.55 million into Wheel of Time (which hits 4.41 million by the end.)

*The caveats - according to The Internet™, that's a word count of the total words of non-hardcoded text, so it likely includes item descriptions, developer comments, readable books, lines written but not implemented, bits of formatting code, etc. The actual lines of dialogue would be far fewer, and you wouldn't see all of them in any playthrough.
Trent Oster characterized the amount of dialogue in BG (or BGEE?) as "close to a million words" and NWN as "1.2 million words."

How fans translated "close to a million words of dialog" in new Baldur's Gate localizations
PC Gamer: I'm curious to know if, going through all those source files, you know just how much writing is in Baldur's Gate. It must be tens of thousands of lines.

Trent Oster: I'm not sure the exact number of lines, but if I remember correctly, I think there's close to a million words of dialog.

PCG: Wow, a million? I ask because the other day the Dishonored guys were talking about the number of dialog lines in their game. I thought it was an interesting statistic, because we don't always think of it in that sense—that these are novel sized or bigger works.

TO: Yeah, the most hilarious example I can think of is when we [BioWare] signed Neverwinter with the Atari guys. So they sent us their localization form and it had three boxes on the form, and it said: “Number of words of dialog: Less than 100; 100 to 1,000; 1,000-plus.”

I made a fourth box on there, checked it off, and wrote “1.2 million words.” I sent the e-mail back to them, and got a call the next morning from the translator saying, “You're kidding, right?”

And I'm like, “No, I'm dead serious. There's 1.2 million words of dialog in Neverwinter Nights.”
I also found an article where some enterprising soul used the dialog.tlk files to generate a rough word count for text in each of the Infinity Engine games. According to the article, this seems to include text comprising "narration, dialogue, Realmslore and the journal."

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:02 pm
Wow - thanks for that heads-up! I've had it on my wishlist for awhile. Can't pass it up at that price. Never would have seen it though, without your post.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:02 pm
Well spotted, Smoove. That's a killer deal for such a well-crafted and enjoyable hidden indie gaming gem. Considering it was the debut project of the Event Horizon studio, it's all the more impressive IMHO.

Daehawk YMMV, but I found its 'tactical puzzle' real-time combat system to be surprisingly novel and entertaining, especially on the more challenging levels of difficulty.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:57 pm Have you played Icewind Dale? I like it because you can re-roll your stats, and can set up a multiplayer game where you create the whole party. The combat is just like BG. Plus if you're demented like me, you can get a few good items, pass them to each character in turn, then export your characters. Start a new game and import those characters. Rinse and repeat for massive twinkage.
Oh yes. Loved it. Ive finished all the infinity engine games multiple times...cept Torment..once was enough.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

WYBaugh wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:44 pm Daehawk, check out this site - https://steampeek.hu/?tagid=94&releasea ... ity=rating
Thank you. Looking at it now. Trying to see if it has filters for fantasy or post apoc or sci fi or whatever disco elysium is lol.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I grabbed Tower of Time myself. I haven't looked too deeply into it, but for that price? Can't go wrong.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Not questioning the deal on Tower of Time, but people might want to remember that it was a GoG giveaway a couple of years ago. You might want to check your library to avoid double dipping.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:41 pm Yeah, Dragon's Dogma was a fun game with some unique features. Almost suggested it.
I really liked Dragons Dogma but never got terribly far into it (10-15 hours), even after trying it multiple times.

The challenge I always had with Dragon's Dogma is that if you were lucky enough to get your Pawn (AI companion) hired by other random people, then it gave you a HUGE boost in terms of leveling and skills. If you didn't? Well, then you were pretty much out of luck. And Pawns getting hired is something you had almost no control over and was basically just luck of the draw.

Pawns getting hired wasn't as big of a challenge when the game was new and there were lots of people playing, but it's difficult for a pawn to get hired now that there's fewer people. The game generally just feels like much more of a slog as a result.
I'm surprised they haven't made a sequel yet.
There's one in the works, supposedly.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I wonder if people think Weird West fits the criteria. Unfortunately, it has just come off sale (if memory serves). Still available on Game Pass for those with.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:50 pm
Edit: Got to the E games and gave up...got TOO many games even skimming along will take an hour lol. Yes I filtered them to rpg only. But Steam seems to suck at filtering and listing.
try https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 pm I posted real time with pause even though I dont pause MUCH is because there seems to be no real time fully and I dont mind real time having a pause feature. Its turn based I dont like at all.
Divine Divinity is old but it was fun.

Are the Divinity: Original Sin's out of the question?
The very original one I loved and finished. Not liked them since. I have tried OS about 6 times and I dont get all that far before deleting. They dont grab me though others like them and not the original.
you may want to replay the original Divine Divinity - that one still appeals to me, somehow.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I had good fun with a couple of the Drakensang games but they're quite old now so not sure how they'd hold up; 'River of Time' and 'The Dark Eye' blur together for me at this point, as well.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:11 am
Rumpy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:41 pm Yeah, Dragon's Dogma was a fun game with some unique features. Almost suggested it.
I really liked Dragons Dogma but never got terribly far into it (10-15 hours), even after trying it multiple times.

The challenge I always had with Dragon's Dogma is that if you were lucky enough to get your Pawn (AI companion) hired by other random people, then it gave you a HUGE boost in terms of leveling and skills. If you didn't? Well, then you were pretty much out of luck. And Pawns getting hired is something you had almost no control over and was basically just luck of the draw.

Pawns getting hired wasn't as big of a challenge when the game was new and there were lots of people playing, but it's difficult for a pawn to get hired now that there's fewer people. The game generally just feels like much more of a slog as a result.
I'm surprised they haven't made a sequel yet.
There's one in the works, supposedly.

Yeah, something you pretty much had to tell your friends. None of my friends were playing it at the time either. Although they did buy it later based on my recommendations. I didn't have much of an issue though. You periodically want to make sure you have an updated pawn, so what I would do is find one of those rocks and browse for what you need, then hire them.

I gave up on the end-game content though. After defeating the boss, it goes on to a DLC, but the difficulty is amped up so much it's ridiculous. It's like they saw the success of the Souls-likes and decided they wanted in on it. If you thought the main game was a slog, it's nothing on this. Battles that would have been simple in the main game become extremely difficult.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don't remember much about it, but do recall really enjoying Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga ages ago.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:30 pm I don't remember much about it, but do recall really enjoying Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga ages ago.
I completed it and enjoyed it, especially dragon flying. I remember it was fairly difficult, so I resorted to heavy cheesing and scum saving, but what else is new.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Hrothgar wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:22 am Not questioning the deal on Tower of Time, but people might want to remember that it was a GoG giveaway a couple of years ago. You might want to check your library to avoid double dipping.
Doh! Bought …again. :doh:
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:28 pm
Hrothgar wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:22 am Not questioning the deal on Tower of Time, but people might want to remember that it was a GoG giveaway a couple of years ago. You might want to check your library to avoid double dipping.

I just checked after putting this on my Steam wishlist and yep, I have it on GOG. :|
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

WYBaugh wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:36 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:28 pm

I just checked after putting this on my Steam wishlist and yep, I have it on GOG. :|
LMAO. I read this earlier today and made a mental note to check GOG before buying it on Steam. Well, I bought it on Steam a few hours ago. Just checked GOG and I had it already. :lol:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It's kind of retro but have you looked into the Averum series? Something different.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:43 am It's kind of retro but have you looked into the Averum series? Something different.
My friend liked that series. I would have absolutely loved it circa 1990 - 1998.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Avernum
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Tower of Time is currently part of this Fanatical bundle (or you can just buy it on its own for one whole dollar)

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-m ... e-bundle-3
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I bought it for $1. Ill never play it lol. It wont see the light of day..*shoves it into the Indiana Jones warehouse* of games and crates.