Running

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Re: Running

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:10 pm Even after a couple years, I'm still in awe of how much you guys run. You do as much mileage in some weeks as I'm able to do in an entire month. That's amazing!
If it makes you feel better, I ran 0 miles so far this year and I am not sure I ran at all last year either. I was the captain of the cross country team in high school (my best friend would tell you co-captain, but everyone knows it was really me). I've run on and off but less and less as I get older. I did find that running really increased my appetite and ended up being a net negative for weight loss (and by negative, I mean my weight was going positive... which is negative).

Obviously running is good for cardio health, but... ok, really just excuses, I don't like spending my time doing it.

Oh and for you specifically for you SP, if you are really working 12-14 hours a day, I am impressed you make time to run at all, and not running from that job. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Congrats to you all on hitting those 2022 goals.

I wasn't happy with my 2022 running (or my 2021, or 2nd half of 2020--you know what, let's just go with 'my pandemic running'). I also entered the pandemic having just recovered from an Achilles issue that had been going on for a long time, since shortly after coopasonic made me run a Ragnar in mid-2018.

So with that backdrop, my 2023 goal is to get back to 'true' running form which I haven't had since that Ragnar in 2018. I'm signed up for a half-marathon in June, and my goal is to come in under a 9:00 pace. It's at a pretty high elevation, so that means my training runs will have to beat 9:00 by a significant amount.

We'll see whether I can maintain it, but January went well. I've started hitting the gym at 5 am to knock out runs during this miserable dark/cold period we're going through out here. Ramped up my weekly miles > 20 over the course of the month, and my 'long' to a 5-miler at a ~7:45 pace.

Planning to get up to ~30 miles/week by the end of March and ~35 by summer. I'm trying to take it slow and avoid ramping up too quickly which is what typically gets in my way.

We also ordered a Tonal earlier this week (thanks for the goading, coop!), and I'm planning to do a better job with strength training this year. That's also been a failing of mine in the past--I just actively dislike doing anything more than a perfunctory circuit on the weight machines at the gym. Hoping that having the Tonal right there staring at me in the house, plus its gamification aspects, will do the trick.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Good luck, Zax. It's been a month since I've even had a decent walk (that was dropping the car off at a detail shop about 3 miles away, walking home, then walking back to pick it up). Driving all of the hours of the day that I can manage only serves to make my ass grow (which, incidentally, adds a measure of comfort to the job). With my MiL in town, I never have to spend potentially-working hours with the kids, which means no walking, no running, no biking.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Running

Post by Zarathud »

Time to start to “get fit enough for GenCon” — there’s no way I’d last an afternoon in my current condition. I’m much too stiff from not getting out regularly.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:58 pm Time to start to “get fit enough for GenCon” — there’s no way I’d last an afternoon in my current condition. I’m much too stiff from not getting out regularly.
Work your way up. Don't try moving those 5-counter tall stacks right away, start with two and work your way up. The hardest part, of course, is staying awake while the other 5 players take their turns, and you know one of them is "one of those guys" who just takes eternity.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I hit 1,000 miles this morning. :dance:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:41 am I hit 1,000 miles this morning. :dance:
That's one heck of a marathon!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:41 am I hit 1,000 miles this morning. :dance:
Be sure to stop when you hit ocean! (Great job!)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Good job all. I went on my first run of the year a couple of days ago and was super sore the following day. Definitely out of practice.

The new dog has put a crimp in my running. The good news is that I do a daily 1-1.5 mile walk with her, so that's kept me very consistent in terms of getting 30 minutes of exercise. The bad news is that she's still a pup and not yet ready to go on full jogs.

I'm hoping now that the weather has warmed up and it's getting lighter in the evenings, I'll be able to resume at least some short jogs after work. I'm close to needing new shoes, so that may be another bit of inspiration.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:47 pm Good job all. I went on my first run of the year a couple of days ago and was super sore the following day. Definitely out of practice.

The new dog has put a crimp in my running. The good news is that I do a daily 1-1.5 mile walk with her, so that's kept me very consistent in terms of getting 30 minutes of exercise. The bad news is that she's still a pup and not yet ready to go on full jogs.

I'm hoping now that the weather has warmed up and it's getting lighter in the evenings, I'll be able to resume at least some short jogs after work. I'm close to needing new shoes, so that may be another bit of inspiration.
We are probably getting a new dog very soon. He's 10 months old already (rescue dog) so jogs shouldn't be an issue (other than my wife will have to take one of the dogs).

January and February are always the worst. I don't mind running in the cold or the snow but I miss the sun. It always seems so dreary and cold in the morning. Now that it's coming up before 6 it's amazing how much more enjoyable running (along with everything else) is. Unfortunately I won't get the full benefit of the sun since the forecast in Iowa is cloudy for the next 10 days straight.

I'm not sure what shoes you run in but I just got a pair of New Balance Fresh Foam More V4s and I have to say I fucking love them. So much cushioning. New Balance even had two colors on sale for $115. I've had the V2s (meh), V3s (very good) and now the V4s (fantastic). If you're looking and you like really plush shoes that still feel springy I highly recommend them.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

EvilHomer3K wrote:I'm not sure what shoes you run in but I just got a pair of New Balance Fresh Foam More V4s and I have to say I fucking love them. So much cushioning. New Balance even had two colors on sale for $115. I've had the V2s (meh), V3s (very good) and now the V4s (fantastic). If you're looking and you like really plush shoes that still feel springy I highly recommend them.
I'll check into those! I've alternated between Hokas and Brooks Ghosts. My current pair are the Ghost 14s and I like them but not sure I *love* them. My original plan was to just move up to the 15s since they've got some cushion improvements over the 14, but I'm willing to explore other options.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Update! I took a chance on the New Balance Fresh Foams @EvilHomer3K and so far I like them a lot! I immediately liked them better than my old Brooks, as I remember those taking a week or two to break in. These were comfortable right away.

They remind me a lot of my Hokas, but those had a much more prominent support inside that took some getting used to. These just feel cushiony all around.

I haven't had a proper run in them yet, but took them for a couple of dog walks and so far I'm really happy with them.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Had my first race of the year yesterday morning--actually my first 'real' race (where I'm trying to hit a specific goal--sub-24:00 in this case--that's difficult for me) since The Before Times. It was a 5k along a reservoir dam, and was fun despite its out-and-back nature. Unfortunately, we had a major windy day (red flag warning and all). High winds combined with being exposed on all sides atop a dam meant that I struggled mightily.

Given the conditions, I'm ok with the results, but still a little bummed that I did not hit my goal.

24:51. Finished 33rd out of 499, and 7 of 38 in my division.

Next up: a 10k in mid-April.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

This is great! I love long range, overall mileage achievements. It's totally a personal thing, but I always feel like these kind of long range, big picture achievements really keep me going. Big numbers are the best, and 1,000 miles is a big number. Nice work.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 am Had my first race of the year yesterday morning--actually my first 'real' race (where I'm trying to hit a specific goal--sub-24:00 in this case--that's difficult for me) since The Before Times. It was a 5k along a reservoir dam, and was fun despite its out-and-back nature. Unfortunately, we had a major windy day (red flag warning and all). High winds combined with being exposed on all sides atop a dam meant that I struggled mightily.

Given the conditions, I'm ok with the results, but still a little bummed that I did not hit my goal.

24:51. Finished 33rd out of 499, and 7 of 38 in my division.

Next up: a 10k in mid-April.
Nice job, Zaxxon, even if you didn't hit sub-24 on this 5K. If you got that close in those conditions, I bet you'll nail it next time. Also, those finishing rankings are not too shabby, anyway.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Good job, Zax!

I've not run at all in several years now, my last race was the 2015 Naperville half. Don't even have time to bike these days...the only reason I don't resemble Jabba the Hutt (well, not closely anyway) is because I don't eat breakfast, lunch, and don't have dinner until 9 pm or later because I don't need my digestive system demanding pit stops when I have a customer taking a long ride.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My knees and lower back have been hurting quite badly over the last couple weeks. I just figured it was simply because I’m getting old.

Runkeeper told me my shoes had hit 300 miles, so I swapped them out for a new pair this morning (now my 4th pair of Saucony Rides. I love these shoes.) Absolutely no pain at all.

So I guess I now know exactly what my indicator is for new shoes.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:35 am My knees and lower back have been hurting quite badly over the last couple weeks. I just figured it was simply because I’m getting old.

Runkeeper told me my shoes had hit 300 miles, so I swapped them out for a new pair this morning (now my 4th pair of Saucony Rides. I love these shoes.) Absolutely no pain at all.

So I guess I now know exactly what my indicator is for new shoes.
If running primarily on the road (not a treadmill), 300 is the upper limit I’ve found I can expect out of my shoes. If you want to get more life out of them, buy 2 pairs of the same shoe and alternate.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm continuing to work toward my half at the end of June. Making decent progress, and I attribute some of it to the Tonal we got in Feb. In the past, I've been bad (read: negligent) at any form of consistent lifting, and it always came back to bite me when I reached a point where my long runs are consistently pretty long. I would feel my form slipping in miles 6+, get some back pain, and have trouble not skipping days after long runs.

That's changed quite a bit since I started consistently lifting with the Tonal. My weight #s aren't impressive (Tonal tells me I'm stronger than 36% of male members), but by Tonal's measurement I'm 32% stronger so far, and it's showing in those long runs. I had a 9-miler last week, and an 8 yesterday that included a 50:30 10k in the middle. Felt no pain and no residual issues today. Loving it.

The thing ain't cheap, but it does exactly what it advertises.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Weight training absolutely helps. My problem is that I have equipment but no plan. I'm also cheap and don't want to pay a subscription for things I can do myself. I am perfectly capable of creating an exercise plan but it's easier to just get on the bike or go for a walk. So my weight training has dwindled down to about one time per week.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:09 pm Weight training absolutely helps. My problem is that I have equipment but no plan. I'm also cheap and don't want to pay a subscription for things I can do myself. I am perfectly capable of creating an exercise plan but it's easier to just get on the bike or go for a walk. So my weight training has dwindled down to about one time per week.
This was me, and I use the term 'training' very loosely. I have the same issue--I can get some dumbbells or go to the gym and do some lifts, but am absolutely terrible at knowing what specifically I should do, how to balance different muscle groups over time, how much weight I should use (and tracking it over time), etc. I also despise the monthly subscription fee.

But for me, it's all well worth it. The thing is amazing, and it 'fixes' my entire list of issues, while also making the process actually fun / non-repetitive.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:14 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:09 pm Weight training absolutely helps. My problem is that I have equipment but no plan. I'm also cheap and don't want to pay a subscription for things I can do myself. I am perfectly capable of creating an exercise plan but it's easier to just get on the bike or go for a walk. So my weight training has dwindled down to about one time per week.
This was me, and I use the term 'training' very loosely. I have the same issue--I can get some dumbbells or go to the gym and do some lifts, but am absolutely terrible at knowing what specifically I should do, how to balance different muscle groups over time, how much weight I should use (and tracking it over time), etc. I also despise the monthly subscription fee.

But for me, it's all well worth it. The thing is amazing, and it 'fixes' my entire list of issues, while also making the process actually fun / non-repetitive.
For years I have been telling myself I can't just run and need to add weight training into my workouts. I finally got serious (sort of) about it this year, and, like Zaxxon, feel like the change has been significant. I love running and hate lifting, but I'm finding that even working in a small amount of lifting is improving my running a lot.

Also, there's truth in the notion that it's easy to love the things we're better at and hate the ones we suck at. I've noticed that the more I lift the less I hate it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hit a milestone this morning with my 500th run. :dance:

I have noticed a pretty significant slowdown in my times over the past 60 days though. Not sure if it’s just getting older (I turn 49 next month) or the oppressive heat (it’s typically 80-85 degrees for my early morning runs) but I’ve been really slow this summer. If my times break the top 50%, I consider that a success. Lots more “maintenance” runs than “performance” runs these days, but at least I’m still getting out there.

July-Sept is absolutely my least favorite running time of the year. I would much rather run in 0-10 degree weather than 80-90 degrees.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:43 am Hit a milestone this morning with my 500th run. :dance:

I have noticed a pretty significant slowdown in my times over the past 60 days though. Not sure if it’s just getting older (I turn 49 next month) or the oppressive heat (it’s typically 80-85 degrees for my early morning runs) but I’ve been really slow this summer. If my times break the top 50%, I consider that a success. Lots more “maintenance” runs than “performance” runs these days, but at least I’m still getting out there.

July-Sept is absolutely my least favorite running time of the year. I would much rather run in 0-10 degree weather than 80-90 degrees.
Yeah, not sure if it's the age or what, but I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm still running consistently, but a lot more 4-5 milers than 6-8 milers these days, and the times tend to consistently bend more toward recovery runs than pushing tempo. My pace is definitely down these days.

I'm a little less than 4 months shy of turning 49.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I've never been fast, but my times have been trending down noticeably (I'm into year 50). I don't like it, but it is what it is.

So after my last marathon was disappointing back in April, I really had trouble getting motivated to run. Instead of 3-4 times a week, it was more like 3-4 runs every two weeks if that. Well, I signed up for my next marathon (going to cross Kansas off my list this fall), but then joined a training challenge on my running app. You have to log 31 workouts in July so basically 1/day or a streaking type thing. I've never done that before, but have made it through 23 of the 31 days. I did go walking/hiking twice. But to have run at least 3.1 miles in 21 of the last 23 days is pretty good for me. I've added miles as needed to conform to my training plan, but things are going really pretty well.

I might actually be decently prepared for my next event. Hopefully, I'll have a more enjoyable time running it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

You grow up and you calm down.

I don’t run, but I’ve been fitness-walking for almost 19 years now, and my distance and time are both drifting down. I haven't done a 15-minute mile in years; nowadays coming in under 17 minutes is a win. I’m 66.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I think some of my issue over the past couple months may stem from increasing my frequency from running 4X to 5X per week. I don't run long distances (usually between 2.5 to 3 miles) but that extra day gets tougher as I get older. My legs have started feeling like I'm dragging 10 lb weights every morning, especially when I'm doing a third running day in a row.

I've also noticed more this year how the heat makes my feet and hands swell up something awful when I run. My shoes are tied very loosely when I start my run, but are often painfully tight when I finish. Wedding ring is loose on my finger when I start, but doesn't move at all when I'm done.

Will be SO glad when it finally cools down...in 2 months from now.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I started back running regularly last week but it's tough when it's still 85 degrees+ even after 7pm. Heck, even mornings before 8am are 85+.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:14 am I started back running regularly last week but it's tough when it's still 85 degrees+ even after 7pm. Heck, even mornings before 8am are 85+.
Yeah, it's been hot out here in the PNW, too. Not as bas as other parts of the country, but I'm not a hot weather runner, so anything above 80 is a real disincentive for me. I've been hitting the treadmill pretty regularly as a result.

Today is nice though: High of 75, and it's just under 60 as I sit here and drink my coffee. I plan to head out and make the most of this weather before work kicks in.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Supposed to be in the high 90s with a couple of 100 degree days this week. We normally run in the morning but the lows are still going to be in the 70s with humidity above 80%. Going to be a sweaty week.

My running is actually faster than when I ran 20 years ago. I am slower this summer compared to last, though. I think that's mostly because we haven't been running nearly as much and it has been hotter than usual the past 6 weeks. I don't think getting older is cause for concern as long as you keep doing it. I have a friend who is in his 70s and still runs sub 8 minute miles.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:19 am I have a friend who is in his 70s and still runs sub 8 minute miles.
Sheesh. I’ve only run a sub 9-minute mile twice in 500 attempts. :oops:
JCC

Post by JCC »

I've had a miserable spring and summer where I can't even take walks right now. I am battling metatarsalgia and it sucks. Wearing an orthotic in my right shoe as much as possible trying to get over this.

As my old man likes to say, "getting old ain't for sissies".
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My 14yo son asked me to go to the track and time his mile. He doesn't really do any sports or anything, but in the past year he has changed from a couch potato to a fitness nut, mostly in strength training, but he takes "Strength and Condition" instead of PE at school and they encourage cardio fitness as well as strength training. Anyway, I haven't really run in the past 3-4 years, deciding it's annoying and just increases my appetite. I decided to run with him to show him how it's done.... ok. I can no longer just run a 7 minute mile after a year off apparently. Kiddo beat me by over a minute. He is 5 inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter.

His time: 7:11 to my 8:19

Not terrible for a 51 year old I guess. It kind of makes me want to start running again to show him what dad is really made of, but again, I don't like running.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I'm still doing my 3-day-1-day-off routine. My route is about 3.48 miles. I've been on Strava for the past few months, which makes it fun to see the monthly recap. My kids are on it too. We encourage each other on the app. I run for health and not for time.

Three of my kids did cross country, swimming, and track in high school. My last kid at home is a jr and it's cross country season. Having a good year so far. On Saturday he hit 16:33. It's been my weekend past time traveling to his meets which I love to do. Been traveling to my kids meets seems like forever now. Running is definitely a growing sport for kids. At Saturday's meet, they had a flyover after the national anthem. Crazy.

One of my daughters is running the Chicago marathon in a couple weeks. It will be her first one. She has done halves a few times. Both my daughters tried entering the Chicago marathon this year but you have to go through a lottery. Only one of them got picked, unfortunately. Still looking for an Airbnb to stay for it.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Chicago was fun! My wife and I spent the weekend out there in 2016. Decent weather, decent result time for me (under 4 hrs). A quick search show the lottery started in 2014 so I must have gotten lucky. Good luck to your daughter Torfish! My kids avoid running at all costs. :D

My next race comes up in a few weeks. Hope it goes well. I feel better prepared than the last race in the spring, but my training has definitely fallen off since work picked back up. We'll see soon.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My son made the cross country team this year (6th grade) so that's inspired me to keep at it. He's typically too worn out after practice to run with me, but knowing he may want to do some 5Ks in the future makes me want to train back up. Much easier now that the weather has started to cool off.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Yeah, the weather has been a lot better. No more 100 degree days and 80 degree mornings with 90%% humidity. Been slacking off over the summer and only running a few times each week.

I had my first Top 3 age group finish last weekend and got a prize. It was the Run for Pie and the top age group finishers each got a pie. I ran mostly with my wife as we we took two of our dogs on the run. They got a lot of attention and pets and I stayed with the wife up until the last half mile. Anyway I wasn't expecting to be anywhere near the top of my age group but finished 3rd in the 50-60 age group (out of 5). I ran the same race last year and ran over a minute per mile faster and got 7th out of 9. So while it was nice to get a the pie (of which I got one piece) it felt a bit like Abe Simpson getting his social security check. I didn't earn it. I don't need it. But if they try to take it away I'll raise hell. I got one piece of pie. I have three boys so I suppose I'm lucky I got that much.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm noticing a significant improvement (20-30 seconds/mile) now that it's been cooler in the mornings. It's been a very welcome change. I've also backed off slightly to a 2 days on/1 day off pace, and my knees are feeling much better as a result.

I'll be wrapping up the Lord of the Rings Conqueror Challenge by the end of next week. Running from The Shire to Mt Doom will be a total of 660 miles across five stages. It's silly, but has given just that little extra nudge of motivation that has kept me on track. Plus, the LOTR medals are really, really cool (will post pics of all five once this last one comes in).

They just announced a new Game of Thrones Challenge that is kinda tempting...we'll see.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:52 pm My son made the cross country team this year (6th grade) so that's inspired me to keep at it. He's typically too worn out after practice to run with me, but knowing he may want to do some 5Ks in the future makes me want to train back up. Much easier now that the weather has started to cool off.
This is great, YK. Some of the best times I’ve had with my kids was running together. Races and also just regular old runs.

Also love hearing about the progress and challenges OOers are doing. Inspiring.

I hit a bit of a lull. I’m not training for any races or events, and I haven’t done any of the virtual challenges that usually keep me motivated. Still running regularly (nearly every day), but it’s felt like I could use a goalpost.

Came up with a big one (for me) last week: I’m going to complete one whole lap around the Earth before I turn 60. I turn 49 this year, so that gives me 11 years.

To date, I’ve run 13,506 miles. If we take 24,901 as the circumference of the Earth, that leaves me with 11,395 miles to go. More than half way there! 😀

So, that’s about 1,036 miles a year over the next 11 years. That’s a manageable yearly number for me, and it should give me cushion for injury/illness/etc. But it’s also enough that it should keep me from slacking and give me something to shoot for.

I’ll report back in 2034!